Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
119 user(s) are online (104 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 119

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: what to bring to jury duty?
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/21 3:19
Group:
Registered Users
Some suggestions based on my experience two days back

- there is a side entrance to the building that can also be used to clear security. This was very helpful to me as there was a long line in the main entrance @ 8.30 am.

- It looks like all window seats have at least 2 outlets beneath them. So, no need to hunt for the few visible ones.

- You can also take the stairs to the fourth floor.

- A snack machine and a water/soft drinks dispense are in the same room. Small cafeteria on the ground floor.

- Lunch break was actually for an hour and half. Quite a few small restaurants on the road. A bunch of small Italian restaurants caught my eye that looked old-fashioned and neat; wish I had tried them. Subway down the road and also a famous Filipino restaurant/bakery opposite the Five Corners library. And of course, if you keep walking down Newark Av, you will come across many Indian restaurants within a few minutes.

- If you are particular of a spot and don't want to lose i when stepping out for lunch, you may want to leave your bag or coat. of course, this depends on your comfort level and risk tolerance. I left my backpack but it didn't have any valuables; guy next to me had actually left his laptop plugged in.

- TV is not loud but in case you want to tune it out, bring your headsets or headphones to listen to music.

Posted on: 2018/3/16 0:41

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/6/19 14:23
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I was really impressed with the staff and the whole experience overall. Everyone was really nice.
It made me grateful that we have this system in place, I think we take it for granted.

Posted on: 2018/3/12 15:08

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/21 3:19
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks to the person who created this thread and those who responded. :)

I have mine on Wed and will follow these great tips!

Thanks again!!

Posted on: 2018/3/12 14:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/6/2 11:06
From Scenic McGinley Square
Group:
Registered Users
If you're feeling generous, you can try bringing a power strip and extension cord. Everyone would want to be friends with the person that brought extra spaces to plug in.

Posted on: 2018/2/26 18:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
The elevators up to the jury pool room are notoriously slow. Giver yourself extra time to get there. Also, get there early if you want one of those cubicles on the side of the room with more privacy to use a laptop and a power outlet. Those get taken up real fast. The WiFi signal is good though.

They do show the Discovery Channel or some other noncontroversial tv channel on a big screen if you're really bored.

Plenty of good lunch options within walking distance.

Posted on: 2018/2/26 18:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fraulein wrote:
Agree with all previous comments, but also bring an open mind, not to sound like a douche. I was actually pretty impressed with the staff, communications and process when I served last February. It really was well-run, and while it's certainly not fun to have to be "stuck" anywhere, it's really not that bad.

This! I was bummed about the idea of having to go to jury duty, and desperately hoping not to be selected. The process itself was smooth (the morning lines suck, so get in early, if you can) and I have zero complaints about the experience. I ended up being selected for a trial that went on to last four days. Overall, the entire thing was actually quite nice. There is a bit of satisfaction in playing your part in the process, and everyone involved was very nice, supportive, and understanding, particularly the judge and prosecutor.

Posted on: 2018/2/26 15:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/15 11:50
From Village/HP
Group:
Registered Users
Also, you can leave if you sign out. You'll have to go through security again, but I would get fresh air, grab some coffee/snack for 10-15 min and that helped the time go by.

Posted on: 2018/2/26 14:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/15 11:50
From Village/HP
Group:
Registered Users
Agree with all previous comments, but also bring an open mind, not to sound like a douche. I was actually pretty impressed with the staff, communications and process when I served last February. It really was well-run, and while it's certainly not fun to have to be "stuck" anywhere, it's really not that bad.

Posted on: 2018/2/26 14:52

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/1 14:06
Group:
Registered Users
get there early if you want to get a good seat near an outlet. i don't mean like 2 mins early - if you get there so close to the start time, there will be a long line of people checking in and you won't get a good seat.

bring a mini power strip - like someone else mentioned, outlets are at a premium. if you do get a seat near an outlet, you can be a lifesaver by attaching your power strip to the outlet wall.

bring a book or download an e-book.

bring a battery pack for your cell phone just in case you can't sit near an outlet.

don't bring your car. take the bus or PATH instead

Posted on: 2018/2/26 14:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Definitely some reading material! You will spend hours cooped up in the jury pool room doing nothing. If you prefer silence or being left alone, headphones (not headsets!) are great at signaling others around you that you do not wish to engage in chatting, so bring a pair. You can bring power cords, but I found that the amount of outlets was VERY limited and usually taken up by people immediately. Better to bring your laptop fully charged, as well as a tablet. That should get you through the whole day. If you need to charge your phone, connect it to your laptop. I would not rely on finding an empty/available outlet.

Posted on: 2018/2/26 13:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/10 14:50
From hamilton park
Group:
Registered Users
def bring your own snacks, the measly pay you get doesn't go far in the vending machine they have available.

Posted on: 2018/2/26 13:11
utterly deplorable

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2018/2/26 5:05

what to bring to jury duty?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/9/14 2:06
From 2nd Floor on Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
It's my first time going to jury duty here in Hudson County, so figured I'd ask what to bring to make my day bearable?

I was thinking:
- laptop and power cord
- phone and power cord
- headphones?
- snacks/food/water bottle

Any other tips I should know about? Thanks!

Posted on: 2018/2/26 3:28

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017