Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
43 user(s) are online (30 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 1
Guests: 42

jklm, more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: 50 NJ High Schools with best SAT scores -- McNair at #20
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcguy05 wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

K-Lo2 wrote:
McNair opened in 1976. I think we can all agree the student composition in terms of feeder schools may have changed over time.

I agree with you, it stopped being number one to just being a good school. McNair lost that population from Catholic schools.

so you are saying catholic school produce superior students.

how do you explain Stuyvesant HS then? which is considered one of the top 10 in NY consistently over the years. And ~70% of the kids there are Asian - not from catholic schools. And it's been that way since I went there, almost 20 years ago.

A number of Stuyvesant HS students come from Catholic grammar schools. You have Immaculate Conception and other grammar schools that send children there.
http://www.courant.com/community/hc-u ... enc-2014-11-11-story.html

https://www.thestar.com/yourtoronto/ed ... hools_cd_howe_report.html

Posted on: 2/22 19:16
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

K-Lo2 wrote:
McNair opened in 1976. I think we can all agree the student composition in terms of feeder schools may have changed over time.

I agree with you, it stopped being number one to just being a good school. McNair lost that population from Catholic schools.

so you are saying catholic school produce superior students.

how do you explain Stuyvesant HS then? which is considered one of the top 10 in NY consistently over the years. And ~70% of the kids there are Asian - not from catholic schools. And it's been that way since I went there, almost 20 years ago.

Posted on: 2/22 14:42
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bustjc wrote:
What the hell are you talking about almost every school on the list has a highly competitive selection process similar to Academic or you have to live in one of the wealthiest neighborhoods in NJ which by itself is automatic cut off.

I was speaking of the national list, I think US News, where they explicitly said so in their methodology. This is why the NYC selective schools were not there. But I see they have changed their methodology, and Stuy is there now, surprisingly below McNair's #49. Hard to believe Stuy is #13 in NYC. I wonder if the bad culture rep they got lost them the best students. US News has McNair #2 in NJ below Monmouth Hi Tech.

Posted on: 2/21 19:59
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

K-Lo2 wrote:

Except you are so wrong, it's ridiculous. It's the best public high school in the state, according to the state itself.

I'm a Prep graduate, and I would rather have my kid at McNair these days.

http://www.nj.com/education/2018/02/t ... 2box_nj-homepage-featured

Posted on: 2/21 19:56
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Within the bigger picture here is the ranking for other JC high schools

Of 387 schools

316 Dickinson
364 Ferris
372 Snyder
375 Lincoln

Just more proof that Abbott has been a complete failure. While the are gains for younger kids, by the time they get to middle school, or high school, the performance gaps remain or have increased. It is time to come up with better solutions, because 40+ years of Abbott has given us nothing.

Posted on: 2/21 16:35
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Sure, Yvonne, the kids from Academy I and MS 4 can't hold a candle.

Posted on: 2/21 16:12
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

K-Lo2 wrote:

Posted on: 2/21 15:53
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Within the bigger picture here is the ranking for other JC high schools

Of 387 schools

316 Dickinson
364 Ferris
372 Snyder
375 Lincoln

Posted on: 2/21 15:17
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2/21 14:49
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
When the local public school admits no students and the local Catholic school admits 3 that is a lot bustjc because there is a small number of freshmen for Academic each year. As I mentioned before, there was an article years ago on where the student body came from. Nearly half were from Catholic schools and that is a lot considering Catholic grammar schools are a fraction of the school population.

Posted on: 2/21 14:20
Print Top

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Depending on when that happened you are talking about 3% of the total admissions for that class at max. I don't mean to be mean, but having a parochial education was considered to be inferior by many children I attended academic with with some exceptions. Those schools are some of the few schools that continue to exist today because they provided a high quality education. The accelerated public schools had many more children accepted into academic mostly because they performed well in testing and came from stronger families. Now some of the stronger performing charter schools like LCCS have many children accepted as well for mostly the same reasons.

Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

bustjc wrote:
I'm not attacking you but I can tell you as an alumni, students came from every background imaginable and previous schooling had very little to do with their success at the school.

The former principal of a downtown Catholic school always had at least 3 students from a graduating population of 25 students make it to Academic, while the local public school never had any children go. One year, I just cannot recall, there was an article where these students came from. It was overwhelming from the Catholic schools even though they were a fraction of the school population.

Posted on: 2/21 14:05
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bustjc wrote:
I'm not attacking you but I can tell you as an alumni, students came from every background imaginable and previous schooling had very little to do with their success at the school.

The former principal of a downtown Catholic school always had at least 3 students from a graduating population of 25 students make it to Academic, while the local public school never had any children go. One year, I just cannot recall, there was an article where these students came from. It was overwhelming from the Catholic schools even though they were a fraction of the school population.

Posted on: 2/21 13:02
Print Top

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2/21 12:52
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
I know I will be attack for this but I will say it anyway, in the past many of the children who attended McNair Academic came from Catholic schools. As those grammar schools closed, few come from Catholic schools and you have just the public grammar schools to pick from. The scores are not the same as in the past.

Posted on: 2/21 12:48
Print Top

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
What the hell are you talking about almost every school on the list has a highly competitive selection process similar to Academic or you have to live in one of the wealthiest neighborhoods in NJ which by itself is automatic cut off.

Posted on: 2/21 12:48
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
The fact that McNair's scores are no better than many non-selective suburban schools is why it is included in many of those "best schools" lists when other selective schools like Stuyvesant are not.

Posted on: 2/21 12:40
Print Top

Hide User information
From USA
Group:
Registered Users
Hey, I was just finding the information regarding the LSAT Test Dates for summers. I want to get admission in this year in one of the best law schools. I will also need suggestions for the LSAT prep app as I have heard that such apps are useful for professional guidance for the test. Can you help regarding it?

Posted on: 2/21 2:26
Print Top

50 NJ High Schools with best SAT scores -- McNair at #20
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 1/30 8:58
Print Top

[Advanced Search]