Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
161 user(s) are online (133 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 161

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Flu shot at Target?
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/5 20:27
Group:
Registered Users
A quote from Peter Doshi's BMJ review, "Influenza: marketing vaccines by marketing disease" (BMJ 2013; 346:f3037):

"...even the ideal influenza vaccine, matched perfectly to circulating strains of wild influenza and capable of stopping all influenza viruses, can only deal with a small part of the 'flu' problem because most 'flu' appears to have nothing to do with influenza. Every year, hundreds of thousands of respiratory specimens are tested across the US. Of those tested, on average 16% are found to be influenza positive."

"...It's no wonder so many people feel that 'flu shots' don't work: for most flus, they can't."

Because most diagnosed cases of the flu aren't the flu.

Posted on: 2018/2/5 20:50

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/13 22:07
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MDM wrote:

The SARS outbreak in southern China and Hong Kong was on the same order. People were given steroids to pull back their immune systems. They survived the flu only to later die a slow death from their bones disintegrating. The doses of steroids given were too high, which in turn, destroyed the capillaries in the patient's bones.

I was traveling through Hong Kong at that time. The HK authorities had people in gloves and mask taking passenger body temps with infrared temperature guns.

This still occurs at HK points of entry, and many people will always wear a face mask when out in public. The impact of SARS on HK life is still felt today.

Posted on: 2018/2/5 1:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

TheBigGuy wrote:
That demographic was a classic fatality signature of the 1918 Influenza. The mutant strain impacted 20-55 year olds at higher than normal fatality rate which was generally negligible.

Essentially their naturally high immune systems went into overdrive to battle the virus literally burning out the victim. .. if they were not dead in 24 hours (generally from lung congestion) the chances of survival improved significantly. Modern medicine and availability of respirators seems to have changed those odds. For this round at least.

It's called a Cytokene Storm.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cytokine_storm

Posted on: 2018/2/4 18:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

TheBigGuy wrote:

Essentially their naturally high immune systems went into overdrive to battle the virus literally burning out the victim. .. if they were not dead in 24 hours (generally from lung congestion) the chances of survival improved significantly. Modern medicine and availability of respirators seems to have changed those odds. For this round at least.

The SARS outbreak in southern China and Hong Kong was on the same order. People were given steroids to pull back their immune systems. They survived the flu only to later die a slow death from their bones disintegrating. The doses of steroids given were too high, which in turn, destroyed the capillaries in the patient's bones.

I was traveling through Hong Kong at that time. The HK authorities had people in gloves and mask taking passenger body temps with infrared temperature guns.

Posted on: 2018/2/4 15:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/29 17:59
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bustjc wrote:
Its possible the getting the flu vaccine saved his life, with zero immunity he could have been hit even harder very difficult to say but this flu has killed teenagers and young adults.

That demographic was a classic fatality signature of the 1918 Influenza. The mutant strain impacted 20-55 year olds at higher than normal fatality rate which was generally negligible.

Posted on: 2018/2/4 3:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/27 23:03
From Jersey City yo!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jc_dweller wrote:
Quote:

dmark526 wrote:
My brother got the flu shot this year and wound up in the hospital with the flu. The doctor told him this years vaccine was only 20% effective on the strain (H3N2) that is out this year.

Generally correct though word is that if you get the flu it'll be less awful if you're immunized.

That is what worried me about dmark526's post. His brother got the shot, his flu was supposed to run a somewhat milder course, and the guy still wound up in a hospital.

Damn.

Posted on: 2018/2/2 16:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/8 3:24
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dmark526 wrote:
My brother got the flu shot this year and wound up in the hospital with the flu. The doctor told him this years vaccine was only 20% effective on the strain (H3N2) that is out this year.

Generally correct though word is that if you get the flu it'll be less awful if you're immunized.

Posted on: 2018/2/2 16:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
The Rite-Aid on Central Ave told me theirs are for the elderly only.

Posted on: 2018/2/1 22:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/4/17 15:41
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2018/2/1 22:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Update if anyone cares.

Target is out of flu shots. I went in to the woman standing below the "flu shots available" sign and asked for info, and she seemed annoyed that I'd even ask her such a silly question. Sooooo, I'd skip them in future years.

ShopRite on Marin Blvd has them, they were polite and efficient. Quite the opposite of my normal experiences at those two stores.

Free with insurance and it took about 5 minutes.

Posted on: 2018/2/1 20:58

Flu shot at Target?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I'm reading online that flu shots are available at CVS/Target locations. Has anyone done that at our local downtown Target who can give positive (or negative) feedback? It's apparently just walk-in which is so much easier than making a doctor's appointment and waiting to be seen. Also is it truly free?

Posted on: 2018/1/29 21:18

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017