Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
109 user(s) are online (87 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 109

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: N.J. to turn 240 acres of Liberty State Park into wildlife oasis
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Agreed Brewster, there is a huge need for sports fields in Jersey City, Liberty State Park could fit a dozen, and still have plenty of quiet nature space left.

Another thing they should put in Liberty State Park is the mother of all dog runs, some massive 20 acre thing, I don't have a dog, just want dog-people to have somewhere to go.

Robin.

Posted on: 2018/1/11 22:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/14 1:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

135jc wrote:
My point exactly. Build the marina a restaurant and maybe an amptheater on 10 acres and expand the park into the 240 acres that are unused now. Make the new marina pay for the expansion and the bulkhead. It could be a world class destination on a very underutilized waterfront.

No, that is NOT my point at all. We apparently have different definitions of underutilized. Inland areas currently inaccessible to the public are completely different from that waterfront area that belongs to the park visitors, not the 1%.

Huh? Those inland wetlands west of the Hackensack are difficult to access (i.e. you need a boat), or are landfills, or are industrial. They're also spread over what, 10 square miles?

Not all wetlands need to be easily accessed to be useful. That said, parkland in Moonachie doesn't do JC residents an awful lot of good.

Quote:
Here's LSP with Washington Park up on Patterson Plank dropped in. Washington Park has 3 ball fields, a football field, 9 tennis courts, 3 basketball courts, Volleyball court, playgrounds, has several roads running through it, and is still nothing dropped into the LSP "wilderness".

So 12 = 3, good to know

Don't forget the additional parking. And additional traffic (vehicle and foot). And noise. And ongoing maintenance costs. And how the "Baseball Mafia" will want to take over immediately. All so there will be so much extra capacity that you can play a pickup game? Pass.

Posted on: 2018/1/11 22:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Dolomiti wrote:
A dozen ballfields? Get thee to a suburb!

Why don't you look at the North Meadow of Central Park via Google Earth. Know what you'll find there? A dozen ball fields. And there's 8 more at the Great Lawn.

I don't play baseball, but I respect that many do. But using the precious greenspace of ever denser Downtown for this low relatively low user density activity makes no sense, and moving it to LSP does.

Posted on: 2018/1/11 22:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

135jc wrote:
My point exactly. Build the marina a restaurant and maybe an amptheater on 10 acres and expand the park into the 240 acres that are unused now. Make the new marina pay for the expansion and the bulkhead. It could be a world class destination on a very underutilized waterfront.

No, that is NOT my point at all. We apparently have different definitions of underutilized. Inland areas currently inaccessible to the public are completely different from that waterfront area that belongs to the park visitors, not the 1%.

Here's LSP with Washington Park up on Patterson Plank dropped in. Washington Park has 3 ball fields, a football field, 9 tennis courts, 3 basketball courts, Volleyball court, playgrounds, has several roads running through it, and is still nothing dropped into the LSP "wilderness". And that 240 acres is nothing compared to the 8,400 acres of the Meadowlands. But JC is very underserved by parkland, both active and passive. Sacrificing 240 acres in the middle of the city to the "Eco-Gods" makes no sense.

Resized Image

Resized Image

Posted on: 2018/1/11 21:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
no, i think we should build a walmart or amazon distribution center on that land.Quote:

Dolomiti wrote:
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Honestly this is just a bunch of Eco pandering. Our area has a crap ton of wetland over on the other side of JC in the Hackensack and Passaic estuaries.

You mean, like the huge landfills in North Arlington and Linden? The areas in between Route 3 and the Meadowlands Sports Complex?

Quote:
I'd love to see a dozen ball fields built on that land then Enos Jones Park could be used for a neighborhood park rather than being owned by the Baseball Mafia.

I for one will pass on that. I'd much rather have a big restored habitat, with public access, than a bunch of ball fields.

I'm not holding my breath on this, but am crossing my fingers. ;)

Posted on: 2018/1/11 21:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/14 1:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Honestly this is just a bunch of Eco pandering. Our area has a crap ton of wetland over on the other side of JC in the Hackensack and Passaic estuaries.

You mean, like the huge landfills in North Arlington and Linden? The areas in between Route 3 and the Meadowlands Sports Complex?

Quote:
I'd love to see a dozen ball fields built on that land then Enos Jones Park could be used for a neighborhood park rather than being owned by the Baseball Mafia.

I for one will pass on that. I'd much rather have a big restored habitat, with public access, than a bunch of ball fields.

I'm not holding my breath on this, but am crossing my fingers. ;)

Posted on: 2018/1/11 21:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/22 2:50
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2018/1/11 20:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Honestly this is just a bunch of Eco pandering. Our area has a crap ton of wetland over on the other side of JC in the Hackensack and Passaic estuaries. I'd love to see a dozen ball fields built on that land then Enos Jones Park could be used for a neighborhood park rather than being owned by the Baseball Mafia. With all the development downtown the pressure on Hamilton Park is tremendous.

Posted on: 2018/1/11 20:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/27 23:03
From Jersey City yo!
Group:
Registered Users
I heard this story before.

Posted on: 2018/1/11 18:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
awesome...but i am still opposed to a marinaQuote:

neverleft wrote:
N.J. to turn 240 acres of Liberty State Park into wildlife oasis

Updated 12:19 PM; Posted 12:08 PM (1/11/2018)
By Terrence T. McDonald tmcdonald@jjournal.com

The Jersey Journal

JERSEY CITY -- A 240-acre section of Liberty State Park that has been closed to the public for decades because of contamination would be transformed into a "mosaic" of freshwater wetlands, salt marshes, forests and grasslands under a plan announced today by Gov. Chris Christie's administration.

The state Department of Environmental Protection, under fire by park advocates for its plan to add a 45-acre marina to the southern end of the 1,200-acre park, intends to spend tens of millions of dollars on the restoration, using money obtained from polluters, DEP commissioner Bob Martin said today in a statement.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... f.html#incart_2box_hudson

Posted on: 2018/1/11 17:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users

Updated 12:19 PM; Posted 12:08 PM (1/11/2018)
By Terrence T. McDonald tmcdonald@jjournal.com

The Jersey Journal

JERSEY CITY -- A 240-acre section of Liberty State Park that has been closed to the public for decades because of contamination would be transformed into a "mosaic" of freshwater wetlands, salt marshes, forests and grasslands under a plan announced today by Gov. Chris Christie's administration.

The state Department of Environmental Protection, under fire by park advocates for its plan to add a 45-acre marina to the southern end of the 1,200-acre park, intends to spend tens of millions of dollars on the restoration, using money obtained from polluters, DEP commissioner Bob Martin said today in a statement.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... f.html#incart_2box_hudson

Posted on: 2018/1/11 17:35

« 1 (2)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017