Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
52 user(s) are online (45 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 52

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Educate Yourself - Two Public Question on the 11/7 Ballot!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/1/3 4:40
From Jersey City Ward C
Group:
Banned
I think public libraries, and all the services they provide, should be supported enthusiastically.

Posted on: 2017/10/27 23:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/8 3:24
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jc201jc wrote:
#1 No - There is no need to issue more debt for this. If it's that important, then make cuts elsewhere to provide additional funding for libraries.

#2 yes - If our beaches get contaminated by an oil spill, and we win $100 million in damages, then all $100 million should go towards restoring and improving these natural resources (after legal fees are paid).

you really don't want to increase funding for libraries?
To each his own, I guess, but to me this comes across (and yes I have read more than just its title) as one of the best reasons possible to issue debt. Then again, I'll never ever support lowering funds on such a valuable institution, so I guess I'm pretty one-sided.

Posted on: 2017/10/27 21:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/4/25 16:16
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
A little more infromation on Question 1 here:
he New Jersey Library Construction Bond Act provides $125,000,000 for construction and renovation projects throughout the state of New Jersey if the voters approve it on the ballot on November 7. The program will be a 1:1 match of state and local dollars.
The goals of the bond act are to upgrade public library facilities to meet community needs and to strengthen New Jersey's economy by creating job opportunities for New Jersey businesses.
This funding will:
Provide much needed community infrastructure repairs and updates to library facilities, including bringing libraries into compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, renovating library facilities, and providing technology upgrades.
Cost sharing program with state funds so construction projects are not dependent solely on local property taxes.
Creates opportunites to invest in the New Jersey workforce and local businesses through jobs, construction, and economic development
This legislation was passed with strong bipartisan support in both the NJ General Assembly and the NJ Senate, and was signed into law by Governor Christie in July. It asks that the voters approve the state expenditure of funds with a ballot question on November 7.
See more at
https://www.bccls.org/about_BCCLS/construction_bond.shtml

Posted on: 2017/10/27 18:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/1/3 4:40
From Jersey City Ward C
Group:
Banned
My librarian mom says #1 sounds pretty good

Posted on: 2017/10/24 22:24

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/1 14:06
Group:
Registered Users
#1 No - There is no need to issue more debt for this. If it's that important, then make cuts elsewhere to provide additional funding for libraries.

#2 yes - If our beaches get contaminated by an oil spill, and we win $100 million in damages, then all $100 million should go towards restoring and improving these natural resources (after legal fees are paid).

Posted on: 2017/10/24 22:16

Educate Yourself - Two Public Question on the 11/7 Ballot!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
Don't overlook the public questions on the ballot | Quigley

Updated on October 23, 2017 at 9:49 AM Posted on October 23, 2017 at 6:00 AM

By Joan Quigley
For The Jersey Journal
It isn't only candidates' names you'll find on that super-crowded ballot next month. There are plenty of those on a cluttered and confusing ballot. County Clerks and election officials did their best, but it's still complicated.

So look carefully at the fine print and you'll find two public questions you're expected to vote on. They involve millions of your dollars.

More/Synopsis of the Questions - Quigley Style

Ballotpedia - Question 1

Ballotpedia - Question 2

Posted on: 2017/10/24 20:41

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact