Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
113 user(s) are online (96 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 113

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Osborne's Endorsement of Rebecca Symes for Ward E Council
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/1/3 4:40
From Jersey City Ward C
Group:
Banned
We have several truly qualified candidates running for Downtown (Ward E) Councilperson. Before announcing my choice for Ward E, I?d like to share what I and my office learned as we researched our choices before making a decision. My office interviewed each of the candidates and have been asking around and observing their campaigns. Walking away from last nights debate I re-learned something I already knew, there wasn?t anyone perfectly aligned with what I believe and there are certain things I like best about each of them. I like that:

one candidate understands the dimensions of raising a family in Jersey City over time

another has such a firm grasp on the constituent service portion of this job

another demonstrates a bias to view issues pragmatically

another questions if there are better solutions than those tried already

and the final formed an understanding of downtown issues through experience with local groups

To replace me on the city council I want someone who will work hard, will be pragmatic and who understands downtown Jersey City. While I am certain many of the candidates possessed two of the three characteristics that most mattered to me in this election, I feel that only one person successfully demonstrated all three of them to me ? Rebecca Symes.

Rebecca Symes demonstrated all three characteristics. In assessing work ethic, I spent time asking downtown residents which candidates they had seen and talked to over the last few months, I observed a few of them in action consistently and I looked at their petitions. If someone isn?t willing to work hard to get elected, they won?t work hard after they are elected. Rebecca submitted over a 1000 petitions and was one of two candidates who I saw knocking on doors consistently over the summer.

In assessing pragmatism I listened to what the candidates said, not only in person with me, but also on the campaign trail and in the debates. During last night?s debate I really appreciated Rebecca explaining the importance of abatements as one of the few tools available to a city to change the direction of development. This matches what she told me before. She understands that without the tool of abatements, the Fulop administration wouldn?t have been able to skew abatements away from the waterfront and towards Journal Square like they did. She understands that while there are occasionally times when redevelopment plans can be used as a tool without abatements, such as when we successfully preserved the Butler Brother?s building, that most landowners downtown were given generous zoning benefits years ago, limiting it?s effectiveness as a sole tool to further changes downtown. She understands that while most tax abatements given downtown were shorter and smaller than those given elsewhere in the city, longer abatements were still needed as a mechanism to increase and maintain affordable housing (high-rise at Warren & 6th, Mid-rise at Marin & 8th, 100 Montgomery) and to help fund additional school buildings (PS16 Annex at Washington and Columbus.) This is just one example, but I selected it because it?s easy to say the populist thing to be ?anti-abatement?, but it takes pragmatism to be willing to understand how things are connected in the face of being un-popular.

In assessing an understanding of downtown Jersey City, I looked at both time spent and involvement. Some candidates have been around more than ten years and have the benefit of witnessing first hand the changing of downtown Jersey City. However a few of them, including Rebecca, did not. So, I looked at how those candidates had been engaged during their time living here. Prior to running for city council Rebecca served as the president of the Harsimus Cove Neighborhood Association. She also was on the board of trustees for both the Jersey City Library and the Liberty Science Center. Moreover, as a council person who frequently attended neighborhood association meetings I can distinctly recall a few years ago seeing Rebecca at both Paulus Hook and Van Vorst Park meetings. It is in this category where I believe Rebecca won my endorsement, not only did she knock on a lot of doors during a campaign but she also had demonstrated community involvement.

I give my endorsement for Ward E City Council to Rebecca Symes: someone who has shown a strong campaign discipline, someone who has a firm grasp and focus on the practical issues facing downtown, and who has a demonstrated history with downtown involvement.

Posted on: 2017/10/25 21:34

Re: Osborne endorses Symes in Downtown council race | Campaign notes
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/4 21:55
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
JHurst, could you qualify your endorsement for Symes vs Solomon, and if you would put these on top of an instant runoff ticket? I can see you had good things to say about both. Feel free to PM if (like me) you are concerned of having some of your words used for rumors and innuendos.

Posted on: 2017/10/22 13:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/1/3 4:40
From Jersey City Ward C
Group:
Banned
I do think if city council members had to wear itchy monk robes meetings would be much shorter

Posted on: 2017/10/21 4:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

K-Lo2 wrote:
From her website....

"Prior to leaving her position to be a full-time councilwoman, Rebecca worked as General Counsel for a private real estate company. As the first lawyer on staff, she built and led the legal department and gained valuable insight on how private sector companies can work hand-in-hand with local governments and communities."

As there something ambiguous about this? I don't think so.

Nothing less than dressing in sackcloth and ashes will satisfy some people.

Posted on: 2017/10/20 22:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/12 20:58
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Dixon Advisory is the manager of real estate investment trusts. Dixon Leasing is their local leasing and management arm of the underlying assets. Yes, Dixon has deep pockets. The people who sold to them were thrilled. I live on a block with one of their properties...beautifully renovated with very nice tenants. When there was a problem with a prior tenant, we contacted Rebecca who was on it in an instant.

Posted on: 2017/10/20 20:54

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/8 22:31
Group:
Registered Users
I wouldn't refer to Dixon as a real estate developer. A real estate buyer who renovates property is a better description.

Perhaps she left it off her resume because it doesn't fit into the progressive line that she is running on. Be that as it may I worked with Ms. Symes on several occasions and found her to be smart with an attention to detail. It might not be a popular thing to write on this sight but I feel that Dixon is a reason downtown has seen a large increase in values.

I don't work on her campaign nor am I voting for her but felt she is much maligned and felt a need to speak out in her defense.

Phil Rivo

Posted on: 2017/10/20 20:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/12 20:58
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
From her website....

"Prior to leaving her position to be a full-time councilwoman, Rebecca worked as General Counsel for a private real estate company. As the first lawyer on staff, she built and led the legal department and gained valuable insight on how private sector companies can work hand-in-hand with local governments and communities."

As there something ambiguous about this? I don't think so.

Posted on: 2017/10/20 20:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/11 14:10
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tern wrote:
Indeed, her tenure working as chief counsul for a major Jersey City real-estate developer seems to have been so brief that she forgot it herself! It is left off of her experience listed in her campaign material and website

Robin.

Good Lord !

Posted on: 2017/10/20 15:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Indeed, her tenure working as chief counsul for a major Jersey City real-estate developer seems to have been so brief that she forgot it herself! It is left off of her experience listed in her campaign material and website

Robin.

Posted on: 2017/10/20 15:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
She worked for Housing Conservation Coordinators in New York City. They apparently did not hold her brief time at Dixon against her as they have held fundraisers for her. She is currently on the board of the Waterfront Project (and was on the board even when working for Dixon).

I am supporting her and have announced my support. She will be a great councilwoman. Not sure how supporting a candidate makes one a "shill." I've always seen that as participating in democracy.

Posted on: 2017/10/20 14:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/11 14:10
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JPhurst wrote:
I am curious how many Ward E residents who criticize Symes for her brief tenure at Dixon have done anything to promote affordable housing or protect tenant's rights like she has.

How long did she work at Dixon?

How much affordable housing does Dixon offer or did offer under her tenure with them?

Cite some actual documented cases where she represented pro bono a tenant's case in Jersey City.

Otherwise you're merely a shill......

Posted on: 2017/10/20 12:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
I am curious how many Ward E residents who criticize Symes for her brief tenure at Dixon have done anything to promote affordable housing or protect tenant's rights like she has.

Posted on: 2017/10/20 12:47

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/6/16 20:40
Group:
Registered Users
I, too, support Rebecca for Councilperson for Ward E.

During the debates, she had solutions to problems, not promises.

Posted on: 2017/10/19 23:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
I am supporting Rebecca's run and am glad that Councilwoman Osborne is as well. It's a great field of candidates although, as some of the threads below show, there is a nasty underbelly to this campaign.

Posted on: 2017/10/19 22:51

Osborne endorses Symes in Downtown council race | Campaign notes
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Osborne endorses Symes in Downtown council race | Campaign notes
Posted October 19, 2017 at 03:48 PM | Updated October 19, 2017 at 04:07 PM

By Terrence T. McDonald
The Jersey Journal

Rebecca Symes, the Downtown attorney seeking to succeed Ward E Councilwoman Candice Osborne next year, has won Osborne?s endorsement.

Osborne, 38, announced the news in an email to supporters yesterday. The councilwoman?s support is sure to provide a boost to Symes, 36, who is competing with four other Downtown residents to become the new Ward E council person.

"To replace me on the City Council I want someone who will work hard, who will be pragmatic and who understands Downtown Jersey City,? Osborne said. ?While I am certain many of the candidates possessed two of the three characteristics that most mattered to me in this election, I feel that only one person successfully demonstrated all three of them to me.?

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... 1.html#incart_river_index

Posted on: 2017/10/19 20:32

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017