Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
124 user(s) are online (89 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 124

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: How to get back rent from a tenant who was evicted?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/4/5 1:44
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CatDog wrote:
Quote:

Dinger wrote:
Yes I read the thread. None of this is a simple process and involves a fair amount of time and hassle. If it's 15k in back rent it's hardly worth it. If it's significantly more then perhaps. But you'll still have to go through the process of obtaining a judgment, executing on the judgment, etc. We don't know much info, but if a tenant skipped on rent for as long as the poster implied they may not have stable employment.
whoo boy $15k in rent that's no slim pickings. I assume you missed a decimal point.

This is my first time dealing with eviction so I'm trying to learn as much as possible about it now. They will end up owing a few thousand, which if it ends up taking half a day or a full day in court could be worth it to me. Really depends on how much effort it is, but a part of me wants to go through the process anyway to learn for the future.

I think you'll find it's not worth the effort for a few thousand. But if you have the time and want to see the process through, go for it. You have the right attitude if, as you indicate, you're more interested in learning about the process/procedure. Just temper your expectations about justice being served and realize anything you actually collect is window dressing.

Posted on: 2017/9/26 21:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Dinger wrote:
Yes I read the thread. None of this is a simple process and involves a fair amount of time and hassle. If it's 15k in back rent it's hardly worth it. If it's significantly more then perhaps. But you'll still have to go through the process of obtaining a judgment, executing on the judgment, etc. We don't know much info, but if a tenant skipped on rent for as long as the poster implied they may not have stable employment.
whoo boy $15k in rent that's no slim pickings. I assume you missed a decimal point.

This is my first time dealing with eviction so I'm trying to learn as much as possible about it now. They will end up owing a few thousand, which if it ends up taking half a day or a full day in court could be worth it to me. Really depends on how much effort it is, but a part of me wants to go through the process anyway to learn for the future.

Posted on: 2017/9/26 3:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
$15k I'd be doing the legwork to chase it down. $1.5k I let it go, say good riddance, and vow to get better tenants.

It's not always easy, you advertise DT and get upstanding, educated kids with hundreds of thousands in student loans! Oy.

Posted on: 2017/9/26 1:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/4/17 15:41
Group:
Registered Users
I would agree if the amount were less than a couple of thousand. At 15K, I would certainly put the time into retrieving the monies owed. It's a drafting the complaint, notifying the parties involved, and showing up to court which they will not. The plaintiff will then be given a judgement by default. Bear in mind that if they're young adults, they will not be able to buy or sell real estate with an open judgement. The wage execution is the same process which wouldn't take more than 30 hours of time including research.

It's really a matter of opinion. What is worth it to me or Catdog might not be worth it to you.

Posted on: 2017/9/26 1:20

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2017/9/26 0:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
This was explained yesterday if you look earlier in the thread. He/she will be able to get the money through garnishment, for most people it might not be worth it, but if it's for thousands they might as well try. I had a seller stiff me on a use and occupancy agreement and I regretted not taking them to court.

Quote:

Dinger wrote:
Do you have a money judgment or an order of eviction? Unless you have the former you aren't recouping any money. And even if you go through the hassle of obtaining a money judgment, good luck collecting on it from a deadbeat tenant.

Posted on: 2017/9/25 23:55

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Do you have a money judgment or an order of eviction? Unless you have the former you aren't recouping any money. And even if you go through the hassle of obtaining a money judgment, good luck collecting on it from a deadbeat tenant.

Posted on: 2017/9/25 22:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
This is the writ of execution for wage garnishment. Learn as much as you can online because the county will not help you in the least. Good Luck!

https://www.judiciary.state.nj.us/forms/10548_wage_exec.pdf

Posted on: 2017/9/25 21:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CatDog wrote:
I'll report back if we go that route. Hopefully they will just make payments without dragging it out, but I doubt it considering what's been going on. I know for a fact that a couple of them are currently employed so wage garnishment seems like the best route, and from what I've read it shouldn't be too difficult.

If I remember correctly, the Hudson County Sheriff renders garnishments? Not sure - read on:

From their website:
The Administration Division incorporates the 911 Public Safety Telecommunication, the Security Guards, the Business Offices and Public Safety Concerns. The Business Office is a multi-function office which deals with civil court actions. The action of summonses and complaints received leads to the processing of writs of execution, which include wage and law executions and writs of possession and foreclosure. Law executions include bank, asset, rent, motor vehicle and real estate levies. Process Service consists of Sheriff Officers who serve notices on the aforementioned actions. Bi-Weekly, the Business Office conducts an auction of properties which are sold as a result of foreclosure.

Contact - https://www.hudsoncountysheriff.com/offices-staff-directory

Writs of Execution & Process Service Dept
201-795-6300 Ext-7240

Posted on: 2017/9/25 19:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I'll report back if we go that route. Hopefully they will just make payments without dragging it out, but I doubt it considering what's been going on. I know for a fact that a couple of them are currently employed so wage garnishment seems like the best route, and from what I've read it shouldn't be too difficult.

Posted on: 2017/9/25 19:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
I'd be interested in hearing how the garnishment goes. The few times I've had to evict the tenant was not employed and I was glad to have them out at the price of the back rent. People who don't pay their rent are rarely model tenants in other respects.

Posted on: 2017/9/25 18:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks for the info. Does that mean I'm going to have to go back to court with this guy, or is it just filling out some paperwork? And do you know how difficult it is to garnish their wages? I have a feeling they would just ignore the debt otherwise.

Posted on: 2017/9/25 13:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
If you have only been to landlord tenant court, then the judgement is only to have the tenant evicted. You would then need to file a motion in Hudson County special civil part in order to recoup the money they owe you. A collection agency will only pay you pennies on the dollar for bad debt so I would think you'd be better off going the judgement route.

Posted on: 2017/9/25 3:51

How to get back rent from a tenant who was evicted?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Was wondering if anyone has experience with this? Tenant is about to be evicted for non-payment of rent, and I'm wondering what my options are for getting the owed rent paid to us, as it's a significant amount and I kinda have to pay the mortgage. Since we have a court judgement in our favor, can I ask the state to garnish their wages? Should I just look up a collections agency and have them handle it?

Posted on: 2017/9/25 3:13

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017