Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
63 user(s) are online (54 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 63

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 7 »

Re: Local Veterinarian
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/1/22 3:23
Group:
Registered Users
I agree - Secaucus Vets are outstanding. They are also open on Saturday & Sunday. They don't push things to be done and always ask if it is affordable - if not that is your decision. Really great staff too.

Posted on: 2011/10/25 19:11

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/7/9 8:04
Group:
Registered Users
I have used Downtown Vets since they opened on First St. and they have been great. Dr. Alanna Chesney-Manz is an outstanding vet. My dog - the best dog in the world - has older dog issues and she handles them with a professional caring attitude. Downtown Vets is highly recommended.

Posted on: 2011/10/25 17:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

NJNJ wrote:
Re: Downtown Vets...
Although I've like some of the doctors I've worked with there, overall, they are subpar...
Unnecessary trauma and expense, but the doctor was able to charge more fees for the "service". I have given up on the convenience and now go into NYC.

This didn't use to describe Downtown vets, but lately, sadly, it's par for the course. Even though Tudor & co are a block away from me, I now take my gang to Westside.

Posted on: 2011/10/25 3:25

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/4/22 12:10
Group:
Registered Users
I use Newport Animal Hospital, I have had a good experience there. It's small, but you can usually get an appt. right away. I've seen two different vets there and they were both good. It's $48 for the office visit and then whatever meds/shots you need after that, but they will tell you the cost of everything up front so you can decide.

Posted on: 2011/10/24 18:58

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/18 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
As others have mentioned before, if you have a car Secaucus Animal Hospital are very very good. Dr. Hatch & Dr. Danforth (Dr. Cavedo's now married name) are excellent they treat your pets like their own and don't force unneccesary treatments or drugs on your pets.

http://www.secaucusvet.vetsuite.com/Templates/GridCritters.aspx

Posted on: 2011/10/24 17:44

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/2/24 2:10
Group:
Registered Users
Re: Downtown Vets-- they will not give an outside service like PetMeds a prescription over the phone. They will only gave you a paper script that you need to mail in. This was even after I called them mulitple times and they "promised" to provide the script to PetMeds. PetMeds told me unscrupulous vet offices often do not provide the scripts so you will be forced to purchase the medicine from the office at an inflated price.
Although I've like some of the doctors I've worked with there, overall, they are subpar. After my chihuahua had a shot there, she developed a bump in the spot. The doctor insisted on performing a biopsy on the bump instead of considering the obvious explanation that it was a temporary side effect of the shot (which I later learned via google). She also put a plastic cone around my 3 pound, timid chihuahua's head while she was examining her so she "wouldn't bite". It is pretty obvious looking at my sweet trembling chi that she is incapable of biting, and if she did it would feel like a mosquito bite, so this whole song and dance with the cone was odd-- no vet has EVER done this before.
Unnecessary trauma and expense, but the doctor was able to charge more fees for the "service". I have given up on the convenience and now go into NYC.

Posted on: 2011/10/24 13:54

Veterinary Services

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/8/23 12:23
Group:
Registered Users
Wife and I are fairly new to the McGinley Area. Can anyone recommend a good Veterinarian or Animal Hospital?? THX

Posted on: 2011/10/21 1:49

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/8/7 6:29
From NJ
Group:
Registered Users
I can't vouch for Dr. Tudor (I've never seen or met him), but of the many times I've been to Downtown Vets on 1st street -- I've never had a single complaint. In fact, if you go -- I highly recommend Dr. Vivian Ng. She is great w/ my 90-lb. dog (who fights tooth and nail whenever he goes to the vet), explains every single procedure that she will perform, gives you a quote for the procedure, and most importantly -- she sincerely cares and loves animals. You can just tell.

If I call her at 3pm worried that my dog isn't eating -- she'll call me back asap (no matter how busy her schedule). Recently when my dog was ill -- she'd call me out of the blue just to check in on my pet and see how he's doing. I highly recommend her at Downtown Vets.

As for the expense -- yes, it's pricey (compared to hospitals in less trafficked cities.) But if your pet is on meds, ask for the prescrip and shop it around online (Dr. Foster's, Pet Meds, etc).

Posted on: 2011/7/16 6:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/30 19:53
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dfpm wrote:
Maybe i missed this in the thread, but has anyone had any experience with the Jersey City animal hospital on West Side Ave? Their initial visit is $56 which seems pretty reasonable. My cat seemingly has a cold and I can't really afford to pay a fortune.......

Thanks!

I've been using West Side for several years. They are fine for standard stuff, shots, even a cold, etc. They will give you an itemized estimate before doing anything and I recommend that you read it and question anything that you're not sure about. They have a changing pool of vets and I've had my favorites and non-favorites.

Posted on: 2011/7/15 19:30

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/7/15 18:52
Group:
Registered Users
Maybe i missed this in the thread, but has anyone had any experience with the Jersey City animal hospital on West Side Ave? Their initial visit is $56 which seems pretty reasonable. My cat seemingly has a cold and I can't really afford to pay a fortune.......

Thanks!

Posted on: 2011/7/15 18:56

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/5/20 2:05
Group:
Registered Users
I highly recommend Dr. Zalis, formerly of the Hoboken Animal Hospital, now with the Union City Animal Clinic. Not walking distance, but if you have a car she is worth the drive. Like other posters, I appreciate that Dr. Zalis doesn't push unnecessary procedures/tests/treatments on me. We first developed our relationship after several Veterinarians at Hoboken Animal Hospital told me I had to sedate my dog before bringing her in for an appointment, a move that almost cost my dog her life, because she was too nervous. Dr. Zalis quickly did away with that idea and worked with me and my dog so that now my dog is cool as a cucumber when at the vet. Here's her website: http://www.unioncityanimalclinic.com/Union City Animal Clinic

Posted on: 2011/1/13 3:14

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/17 20:47
From not downtown
Group:
Registered Users
@I_heart_JC: I go to Worth Street Street Veterinary Center now (www.worthstreetvet.com)
I can't say they're any less expensive, but I totally trust them at this point - the Dr. is pretty awesome and you can tell he actually cares about the animals. Just recently had my dog's teeth cleaned there (first teeth cleaning - was a bit apprehensive since it's a small breed) - everything was perfect.

Also, on my first visit, I was showed the entire facility, so I'd "know where they take the animal if it had to be taken to the back for a procedure." Brand new and spotless.

Posted on: 2011/1/12 18:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/9/26 14:52
Group:
Registered Users
We've been using Westside for 2.5 yrs now for our cat. I've never had any problems with them. All the vet techs and vets have been friendly and really good at handling our feisty kitty. We did wind up doing the spaying at Liberty because Westside was about 3 times as expensive. And although they've tried to sell us on additional services, I have no problem saying no and doing additional research on my own to see if is necessary. It seems like most businesses are jumping on any opportunities to upsell you these days.

One major plus with Westside is the vets seem pretty into the science behind pets. I had a cat issue a week ago and called the office and the vet spoke with me for about 20 minutes. She seemed sincerely interested in getting to the root of the problem and weighing in all the possible contributing factors.

Posted on: 2011/1/12 18:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

exart wrote:
i've had a super bad experience with downtown vets. i wouldn't even recommend them for routine things at this point. i'll be happy to give anyone my experiences in PM - will spare the details here...
i went there for years, though. finally, after hearing and reading good things about dr. fede at westside, i switched to her early 2010...i totally loved her and just wanted one vet to manage my pet's care. while dr. fede was awesome, i didn't get a good vibe from westside, and couldn't find any good recommendations for the other vets there. when she left, i decided to try a vet in the city (i don't have a car, so a place near the PATH in the city is more do-able than secaucus, or i'd totally have gone there - and my pets are totally small and carry-able in their carriers).

i found an awesome place near WTC. the doctor is very smart and doesn't push unnecessary things, and actually takes the time to discuss things/answer any questions.
it'd be great if there were a decent local vet downtown, but for now, i'm sticking to NYC.

I've also had a lousy couple of Downtown Vet experiences, and my critters are also carry-able, so please share the name of your WTC find.

Posted on: 2011/1/12 18:17

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/3/26 19:59
Group:
Registered Users
If you can drive, I highly recommend Tribeca-Soho Animal Hospital in lower Manhattan on Lispenard St. It's literally right outside the Holland Tunnel and easy enough to park there on weekends. The doctors are very friendly, knowledgeable and thorough and I didn't feel ripped off. I decided the tunnel toll was worth it after my bad experiences at Westside.

Posted on: 2011/1/12 17:33

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/14 22:02
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
2. The new vets try to up sell costly services and pet meds.

Vet meds are always going to be more expensive at the Vet. The mark-up is insane and one of the ways they make money. I don't feel that is anything new there. I always try to research to see if I can get them online cheaper or at Target (if it is also a human drug)(many of them are on their 4 dollar generic list). I always ask for a written prescription or have the pharmacy call it in. If your animal is on chronic and costly medication, it's only reasonable that you get it from a place that you find affordable.

Quote:
4. They have a new policy whereby they want to take dogs from the examining room to the back for routine services. They used to do everything in the room with us present.

This happened to me also and I found it odd. I guess the only thing we can do is ask why they are doing that and say that we?d prefer they do it in front of us. Or go to another veterinarian like you are doing.

Thanks for sharing Zick. I recently went to the Liberty Humane Society on their Sunday Wellness Clinic because I thought it would be a little cheaper for a rabies shot. It really wasn?t. I thought the dog was getting a 3 year rabies shot, but they only had 1 year rabies shots for $20. I recently called Westside to see what they charge, it?s $37 for a 3-year rabies shot, but if the dog has never been there they give a 1 year booster and then require the 3 year the following year, which is probably what happened to my dog at the shelter. I was a little frustrated. Oh well, live and learn.

Posted on: 2011/1/12 17:21

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/17 20:47
From not downtown
Group:
Registered Users
i've had a super bad experience with downtown vets. i wouldn't even recommend them for routine things at this point. i'll be happy to give anyone my experiences in PM - will spare the details here...
i went there for years, though. finally, after hearing and reading good things about dr. fede at westside, i switched to her early 2010...i totally loved her and just wanted one vet to manage my pet's care. while dr. fede was awesome, i didn't get a good vibe from westside, and couldn't find any good recommendations for the other vets there. when she left, i decided to try a vet in the city (i don't have a car, so a place near the PATH in the city is more do-able than secaucus, or i'd totally have gone there - and my pets are totally small and carry-able in their carriers).

i found an awesome place near WTC. the doctor is very smart and doesn't push unnecessary things, and actually takes the time to discuss things/answer any questions.
it'd be great if there were a decent local vet downtown, but for now, i'm sticking to NYC.

Posted on: 2011/1/12 2:54

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/27 3:17
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

janegeorge wrote:
Has anyone used the Downtown Veterinary Clinic at 282 First St? I've been traveling 30 minutes to a Vet that I love. It's a small place with one doctor that knows my animal and is very kind and gentle, rather than a rotating group of 10 different doctors. My cat is sick and I'm thinking that maybe we should try the local place? I've heard mixed reviews. What has your experience been?
Thanks in advance.

We went here (and to the Hoboken office which is affiliated) and had a good experience (except they couldn't save our cat, but that wasn't their fault).

Dr. Chesney was especially kind, honest and sympathetic while professional at the same time. I would definitely recommend her if you go.

I would NOT go to the 5th Avenue animal hospital on 15th and 5th in the city - we took our cat there and they were very unprofessional and disorganized. They sent him home with no cone and said he was fine while he clearly wasn't. They also charged us for all sorts of tests told them had already been done - this place is bad news!

Posted on: 2011/1/12 1:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/10 4:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

itsaurora wrote:
Hoboken Animal Hospital is, hands down, the most expensive veterinary practice in the area, not to mention they will push every possible thing they can to make money, regardless of the benefit (or harm) to the animal.

No bueno.

I second that... the used car salesmen of vet care.

Secaucus Animal Hospital is great!

http://www.secaucusvet.vetsuite.com/Templates/PawPrints.aspx

Prices are very reasonable and the doctors, Hatch, Cavito, and Hanson, are excellent. They do not push superfluous vaccines and find over-the-counter alternatives to expensive pet medicines.

Posted on: 2011/1/11 22:27

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/8/23 1:54
Group:
Registered Users
Secaucus Animal Hospital is great. I highly recommend Dr. Cavedo and Dr. Hatch.

Posted on: 2011/1/11 21:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/30 0:28
From Belmont Ave.
Group:
Registered Users
Hoboken Animal Hospital is, hands down, the most expensive veterinary practice in the area, not to mention they will push every possible thing they can to make money, regardless of the benefit (or harm) to the animal.

No bueno.

Posted on: 2011/1/11 21:44

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/9/20 19:54
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
We use Hoboken Animal Hospital. Westside couldn't handle us when our cat was sick last year and sent us to Hoboken, and I was more pleased with their services than Westside. Cleaner, nicer docs and techs, but parking is a bitch in Hoboken.

Posted on: 2011/1/11 21:41

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/11/27 21:36
Group:
Registered Users
Sutherland and Mado:

Last time I was there was near the end of December.

My general observations from my past few visits include:

1. Cleanliness and odor of the waiting room.

2. The new vets try to up sell costly services and pet meds.

3. They seem very quick to add a full exam fee to your bill, so keep an eye on it.

4. They have a new policy whereby they want to take dogs from the examining room to the back for routine services. They used to do everything in the room with us present.

5. The vet turnover.

6. Techs seem to have a bad attitude.

Hope this helps.

Posted on: 2011/1/11 21:21

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
DOGJC is an local dog owner yahoo group. I get a lot of information , local and general. it's a pretty active group.

I've been going to Westside since 2005 and there's always been some turnover (1 or 2 vets), but not as much as there has been in the past few months. Overall I've been satisfied with them and they are the cheapest in Jersey City (let's be honest, pet care is expensive and I live on a budget).

I'd also be interested in what else you were referring to at Westside, Zick?

I was told Dr. Acosta is now at East Orange Animal Hospital on Fridays and Saturdays. And I think Dr. Fede (nee Thornton) is at Amboy Avenue Animal Hospital in Metuchen once a week.

Posted on: 2011/1/11 19:08

Re: Jersey City Vet Recommendations
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/4/22 12:10
Group:
Registered Users
I've been to Newport Animal Hospital a few times and had a good experience. The doctor called to check up on my dog to see if the medication she gave was working. I think they are expensive for some tests and procedures but I would consider the office visit fee reasonable... last year when I went it was $48.

Posted on: 2011/1/11 17:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/18 14:36
Group:
Registered Users
Since Dr. Thorton left I have only been back to Westside Animal once for a routine check up. etc. But in your experience what has occurred to make you say the service has declined? I ask because I need to bring my dog for a visit soon and want to get correct information.

Thanks.Quote:

Zick wrote:
I'm looking for a new Vet in Jersey City. Any good recommendations?

I've been using Jersey City Animal Hospital on Westside Ave. for 3 years, but their service has dramatically declined since several vets and techs left. Too bad, they used to be great.

Thanks!

Zick

Posted on: 2011/1/11 17:21

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks Mado.

What's the DOGJC list? Disappointing about Westside. I want to continue with them, but they have major issues to overcome, including the vet turnover. Dr.'s Acosta and O'Connor were really good.

Zick

Posted on: 2011/1/11 17:10

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Zick,

I take my dogs to Westside, but a lot of people on DOGJC list talk about how much they like Dr. Hatch (Seacaucus)

http://www.secaucusvet.vetsuite.com/Templates/PawPrints.aspx

Posted on: 2011/1/11 16:26

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks for the thread. Looks like resources are limited in JC.

Posted on: 2011/1/11 15:43

Jersey City Vet Recommendations

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I'm looking for a new Vet in Jersey City. Any good recommendations?

I've been using Jersey City Animal Hospital on Westside Ave. for 3 years, but their service has dramatically declined since several vets and techs left. Too bad, they used to be great.

Thanks!

Zick

Posted on: 2011/1/11 15:25

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 7 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact