Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
72 user(s) are online (68 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 72

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 7 »

Re: Local Veterinarian
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/22 17:15
Group:
Registered Users
I've always gone to the Animal Infirmary on Adams Street in Hoboken/Michael Tuder. I've had some WONDERFUL doctors there but it's a revolving door. When my cat died at the Bayonne hospital, they sent the most beautiful sympathy card. Fast forward 6 months--my remaining and heartbroken 16 year old cat had lost weight and they suspected cancer and suggested ultrasound/surgery etc...and I said that I can't invest $5000.00 in a 16 year old cat because I'll end up in foreclosure--WHAT A BI..ch of a doctor. ATTITUDE. TERRIBLE. I adopted that cat at 7 years old and have spent over $9,000.00 hyperthyroid pill treatments, opthalmologists (they thought she eye cancer) teeth cleanings etc... I've ever been so angry. I've been taking my 2 new cats out of force of habit but they just
doublecharged me $82.00 for a felive fiv test and I had to walk over there in 10 degree weather with a new check. Not even an I'm sorry.

Posted on: 2013/1/24 17:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

val7101 wrote:
I knew the price was high but coming from Manhattan it didn't seem so bad. I priced vets on Long Island. They were cheaper but since they didn't have any records on the dog you have to bring them in for a physical, it started adding up and didn't seem worth it.
I don't know if I'll do it again anyway. She's 8 now and tiny and I feel that anesthesia is a bigger risk now than it used to be.

if she's tiny, she's got another good 6 - 8 years ahead, and gum disease can really do a number on a dog's overall health.

my geriatric cat with a heart murmur gets yearly cleanings at Westside. they explain the risks of anesthesia, but since he's a persian with that horrible breed-specific mashed-up mouth, we've got no choice, really.

so far so good, though.

Posted on: 2013/1/24 17:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/4/20 13:22
Group:
Registered Users
I knew the price was high but coming from Manhattan it didn't seem so bad. I priced vets on Long Island. They were cheaper but since they didn't have any records on the dog you have to bring them in for a physical, it started adding up and didn't seem worth it.
I don't know if I'll do it again anyway. She's 8 now and tiny and I feel that anesthesia is a bigger risk now than it used to be.

Posted on: 2013/1/24 15:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

val7101 wrote:
I use Downtown vets now. I like them but it's revolving door vets so nobody gets to know your dog. I've had my dog's teeth cleaned their twice and it was $900 each time and she's tiny. There were no major extractions. If I had a car I would go somewhere else, but if you need someone downtown they are good.

that is insane. more than twice what my dog's cleaning (with extractions) cost at Westside.

a cab there and back will cost you $20.

Posted on: 2013/1/22 21:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/4/20 13:22
Group:
Registered Users
When I lived in Manhattan I used Dr. Mary Xanthos and I loved her too, but it was really expensive.

I use Downtown vets now. I like them but it's revolving door vets so nobody gets to know your dog. I've had my dog's teeth cleaned their twice and it was $900 each time and she's tiny. There were no major extractions. If I had a car I would go somewhere else, but if you need someone downtown they are good.

Posted on: 2013/1/21 17:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Not really local -- but the best (at least for cats) is the Secaucus Animal Hospital -- just make sure your appointment is with Dr John Hatch.

Posted on: 2013/1/21 16:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/7/16 11:48
Group:
Registered Users
$750 for a dental is very expensive. I just pulled out the bill for my dog's dental cleaning, in 06/2012 at Westside. She also had a cyst removed while she was under, and that was the most expensive part. But they charged $92.00 for the cleaning, plus $37 for penicillin,and $200 for anesthesia. And then about $60 for post-surgery antibiotics, though I think that was more for the cyst removal.

A basic office visit at Westside is $58, and they go over additional costs before going ahead with anything else.
I really like Dr. Green-- she seems genuinely fond of my dog and is very caring.

Posted on: 2013/1/21 16:26

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/2/24 2:10
Group:
Registered Users
The vets around downtown are terrible. I researched vets extensively and found an excellent one only a few minutes walk from the wtc path station in TriBeCa.
Reade Street Animal Hospital. Dr. Mary Xanthos is excellent and very intuitive-- she will not order unnecessary tests. My chihuahua was misdiagnosed with a collapsed trachea elsewhere and Dr. Xanthos immediately figured out that diagnosis was incorrect and took our dog off the medication. I would not go anywhere else.

Posted on: 2013/1/21 2:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

FirstTimeDogMom wrote:
Hi. My husband and I are first-time dog owners and we are looking for the best vet for our new puppy. We live in JC.

When you all are referring to Westside, do you mean this place?: http://www.jerseycityvet.com/index.html

Want to make sure I'm looking at the right spot. Seems like that's the consensus for the best option around here. I'd really like to have a good relationship with a vet?who knows me and my dog...especially as a first-time owner, I'm sure we'll be looking for advice and would love having someone we trust.

Thanks so much for your input!

Yup, that's the place. They're super.

My favorite vet is Dr. Green, but she's heading back to her native Australia soon. Dr. Gaylord is also great. Very thorough.

Posted on: 2013/1/20 20:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
I drive to my favorite vet who is about 40 minutes away but a lot of locals rave about Dr. Frezzo in Bayonne. Here's the link.

http://www.animalclinicofbayonne.com/doctors.html

Posted on: 2013/1/20 19:09

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/2/21 16:31
Group:
Registered Users
Hi. My husband and I are first-time dog owners and we are looking for the best vet for our new puppy. We live in JC.

When you all are referring to Westside, do you mean this place?: http://www.jerseycityvet.com/index.html

Want to make sure I'm looking at the right spot. Seems like that's the consensus for the best option around here. I'd really like to have a good relationship with a vet?who knows me and my dog...especially as a first-time owner, I'm sure we'll be looking for advice and would love having someone we trust.

Thanks so much for your input!

Posted on: 2013/1/20 18:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/11/19 0:07
From Pizza City
Group:
Registered Users
My cats are happy when they see Dr. Fede.

Posted on: 2012/9/21 14:12

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/10/16 23:08
Group:
Registered Users
Westside Animal Hospital is professional, caring, and affordable. They're very clear about pricing and working with you to get a treatment plan you can afford, and they don't apply pressure if you need to choose a less expensive option.

I've tried others and both me and my cat are happy here. (Cat's never happy to go to the vet, but you know what I mean...)

Posted on: 2012/9/20 16:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/23 15:07
From Between Thought and Expression
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCCheerleader wrote:
I called Secaucus for a price quote last week for teeth cleaning on my 100 pound dog and 7 pound cat. I was told it's the same, $754 for each. After reading this forum I was able to locate my animals' old vet, Dr. Thorton-now Dr. Fede-at the Edison Animal Hospital and we drove down to see her this past Tuesday. I don't know who was happier to see her, my pets or me.

$754 for each? You can get teeth cleanings for less than that.

Posted on: 2012/9/18 4:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Big, big thumbs up for PFA. I just had my Weimaraner neutered and it was a simple, satisfying experience. They are mostly about low-cost spay/neuter procedures, but they now do basic wellness services, as well. Even if you don't need to have a procedure done on your cat, or dog, you can help support PFA by buying your pet medications from them. Their pricing is good (below MSRP/list price) and by buying it from them, you are helping them provide their low-cost procedures. The staff is very, very sweet and helpful, and the vets (I have met two) are also very loving and caring towards the animals. If you have a car, the Hillside location is a 15-minute drive.

Posted on: 2012/9/14 20:15

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/4/24 22:03
Group:
Registered Users
Also, don't know if you have a car, but I just learned about this place through Trap/Neuter/Return:

http://www.pfaonline.org/wellness/

Posted on: 2012/9/14 14:52

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/4/24 22:03
Group:
Registered Users
As others have mentioned, Dr. Green at Westside is amazing, and they are very reasonable (maybe $65 base office visit fee). They also give you a list of all procedure charges before they do them so you can say what you want or don't want. They do not charge visit fees for rechecks -- meaning, if you bring your pet in for an ear infection and they say bring him back in 2 weeks, you will not be charged for the recheck visit. You will be charged for any additional medication, etc., but not for the office visit. Dr. Gaylord - also at Westside - is great too.

I've also seen Dr. Hansen several times through mobile vet dispatch and I love her too. She is great. They are also very reasonable. Only reason I stopped using mobile vet dispatch is sometimes it takes a long time to get an appointment and usually I need to see a vet right away.

I'm sorry I cannot remember vaccination prices, but I would be shocked if either Westside Animal Hospital or Mobile Vet Dispatch didn't give them to you over the phone.

Good luck.

Posted on: 2012/9/14 14:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/11/19 0:07
From Pizza City
Group:
Registered Users
I called Secaucus for a price quote last week for teeth cleaning on my 100 pound dog and 7 pound cat. I was told it's the same, $754 for each. After reading this forum I was able to locate my animals' old vet, Dr. Thorton-now Dr. Fede-at the Edison Animal Hospital and we drove down to see her this past Tuesday. I don't know who was happier to see her, my pets or me.

Posted on: 2012/9/14 2:38

Re: Jersey City Vet Costs
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/17 12:06
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Go to Secaucus Animal Hospital and book an appointment with either Dr Hatch or Dr Hanson.
You can call them for prices:
http://www.secaucusvet.vetsuite.com/Templates/GridCritters.aspx

I would not go to a Vet that does not give basic charges over the phone, never heard of refusal for regular visit charges.

Do a little research and find a good vet that you are comfortable with. Like the rest of us have.

We have been to many, many Vets locally. Fortunately we drive so the 15 minute drive to Dr Hatch is well worth it for us.

No over charging, over medicating, over vaccinating works well for us :)

Posted on: 2012/1/17 4:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/8/16 15:40
From Village
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

foshizigity00 wrote:
You guys, I need prices! Anyone have any experience and can give me a rough idea of what they've been charged in the past?

I have nothing to start from except LHS, which i already know the prices for because they are published on the website.

Thanks.

For Downtown Vet, we're charged $68 for a "medical exam." This seems to be the baseline charge for our dog's annual checkup, as well as any visits in between checkups for a complaint, such as when our dog stepped on a piece of glass.

Any shots, medications, etc. are additional, but they're usually pretty good about explaining the cost breakdown of different options. As has already been mentioned in this thread, LHS regularly has vaccination clinics, so you can save money by going to them for boosters (just make sure to have that info added to your dog's record at Downtown Vets).

Our experience has been that, if there's an issue that requires follow-up visits/rechecks, they are free (included in the cost of the first visit).

We don't usually buy medication from Downtown Vets, preferring to order from 1800PetMeds (usually cheaper). (For a small amount of a one-time medication, we might get it there just for convenience.)

As others have noted, the great thing about Downtown Vets is the convenience - we started going there when we moved to JC and didn't have a car. We have liked many of the vets we've seen, haven't liked others, and don't like that you never really know who you'll get. Right now, our dog is 5 and very healthy (knock wood) so we only go in once or twice a year and don't have complicated issues that require a lot of thought. For that, Downtown Vets is fine, the cost isn't prohibitive, and the convenience is worth it.

As our dog ages (and since we do have a car now), we expect we'll want to explore other options if her needs increase/there start to be more challenges where having a relationship with a vet we trust becomes important. (I have a good friend from college who is a vet in Brooklyn and also love the vet in the NJ town where I grew up, so we do have some reliable sources for second opinions if we need them.)

Posted on: 2012/1/16 17:47

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/22 19:28
Group:
Registered Users
You guys, I need prices! Anyone have any experience and can give me a rough idea of what they've been charged in the past?

I have nothing to start from except LHS, which i already know the prices for because they are published on the website.

Thanks.

Posted on: 2012/1/16 14:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/1/22 3:23
Group:
Registered Users
At least give Secaucus Animal Hospital a try, last time I was there Dr. Hansen didn't recommend a lot of procedures she thought was necessary cause I could not afford them and said let it go until we really need we think the dog needs them...if the dog is acting as normal as they always do then don't do anything to change it. But if you see a difference in their normal behavior or habits then call me and we will take it from there...they are not looking to rip you off.

Posted on: 2012/1/16 0:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

HeightsBrat wrote:
I've known Michael (Tudor) for many years...but stopped using his services about 10 years ago because of attitude.

right?! what is WITH that guy? he used to be a pretty solid, compassionate vet, but in recent years has morphed into an unrepentant jerk.

the last straw for me was when he turned away a poisoned dog - where every second is absolutely crucial to survival - because my friend questioned the emergency visit fee which is tacked on if you dare to show up at lunchtime.

I get that it's a business and they've got to make rent, but if you're a vet, the welfare of animals should really factor in somewhere.

Posted on: 2012/1/16 0:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/28 23:29
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
A good site for finding out the quality of what you are feeding your dog, try dogfoodanalysys.com.

Posted on: 2012/1/15 23:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/28 23:29
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Been following this thread & just thought I would add my two cents to it.

Dr. Michael Tudor is the nephew of the late Dr. Gabriel Tudor who built the Bayonne Animal Hospital. The house directly behind the hospital was where Dr. Gabe lived. I learned how to give intermuscular & subcutaneous shots from him. I\'ve known Michael for many years (before he became a vet in fact) but stopped using his services about 10 years ago because of attitude.

I stumbled over Dr. Fowler, at Banfield's, in PetSmart in Secaucus. To tell the truth, their prices aren't significantly different than some I have seen quoted here. I have my pets on the Basic Wellness Plan, I am not charged for office visits, my pets receive two comprehensive examinations a year, discounts on shots, etc. The worst part is the wait, even with an appointment. They have no problems writing scripts if you request and will chat with you which is why the wait is probably horrible. The one thing I do like is that if, God forbid, there is an emergency, as long as I am near a Banfield, I'm good to go.

Posted on: 2012/1/15 23:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

foshizigity00 wrote:
Can someone please be straight with me about vet costs in Jersey City?

I've taken my cats to downtown vet for checkups and they are charging me $68/cat for the visit alone.

I need to get them booster shots now too. What is the cost at Downtown vet for booster (they won't give me a price over the phone)? Does anyone have experience?

What about other vets? I'm not sold on downtown vet, it's just close by. Anyone have experience at other places? Can you please tell me prices? I need to compare costs, but no one publishes their prices nor will they disclose over the phone.

I know the clinic at Liberty Humane is $20 for most of their shots and they don't charge a visit fee, so that's definitely the most economical. I'd just like to avoid that wait time and the trauma it'll cause the kitties sitting in their crates for an hour or two.

I stopped going to Downtown Vet when their cost began to vastly outweigh their care. (bummer for me too, as they are mere feet from my front door.)

The JC Animal Hospital on Westside Ave is a 12-minute drive, and they are very upfront about their pricing. Dr. Green in particular is quite caring and doesn't give you the hard sell on expensive tests and procedures.

Posted on: 2012/1/15 19:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/2 19:00
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

foshizigity00 wrote:

I've taken my cats to downtown vet for checkups and they are charging me $68/cat for the visit alone.

I need to get them booster shots now too. What is the cost at Downtown vet for booster (they won't give me a price over the phone)? Does anyone have experience?

What about other vets? I'm not sold on downtown vet, it's just close by. Anyone have experience at other places? Can you please tell me prices? I need to compare costs, but no one publishes their prices nor will they disclose over the phone.

I know the clinic at Liberty Humane is $20 for most of their shots and they don't charge a visit fee, so that's definitely the most economical. I'd just like to avoid that wait time and the trauma it'll cause the kitties sitting in their crates for an hour or two.

There are no other options. Even if you attend the free shot clinics the City offers in the Spring, you will have to wait on line. I take my cat is LHS for her basics shots and all other services are done at my Vet hospital. Another option if you have a car is P.F.A the drive is about 20 minutes from JC. It all depends if you have transportation.

As far as them not giving you a quote on the phone.. ask to speak with the office manger. I have never heard of any vets not giving the prices of shots, office visits and standard tests over the phone.

Posted on: 2012/1/15 14:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/5/11 10:27
Group:
Registered Users
The Liberty Humane Society offers wellness clinics.
Liberty Humane Society will be holding Wellness Clinics on the following Sundays, from 8:00am to 11am (NOTE: You must arrive between 8am-10am in order to be seen): January 22nd, February 12th, and February 26th.

The shelter encourages residents from all municipalities to bring their dogs and cats to receive low-cost vaccinations and medications. No appointments necessary.

AVAILABLE SERVICES:

Rabies ($20)
Distemper ($20)
Lepto ($20)
Lyme ($30)
Bordetella ($20)
Canine Influenza ($20) * 2nd booster required

Micro-chip ($35)
Frontline Plus (1/$15, 3/$40)
Strongid (sm/$15, lg/$25)
Feline Combo Test ($35)
Heartworm test ($35)
Heartworm Preventative (based on weight)
Other basic services may be offered upon availability (prices vary)

http://libertyhumane.org/wellness.php
Phone: (201) 547-4147 Email: lhs@libertyhumane.org

Posted on: 2012/1/15 14:12

Jersey City Vet Costs
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/22 19:28
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2012/1/15 5:02

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/19 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
If I may, I suggest Dr. Michael Santiago from East Orange Animal Hospital, it's a little far, but sometimes it's worth going that extra mile . . .

Posted on: 2011/10/25 19:29

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 7 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017