Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
46 user(s) are online (37 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 46

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: New Amazon HQ
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
My bet is on Boston, Chicago or philly

I'd go with Boston, but for the stupid MA support of non-compete contracts. Since the top prospects would not want to deal with that, no tech firm wants to locate there if it has a choice. Chicago is too far from mountains for the outdoor enthusiasts like skiers climbers and cyclists. They're spoiled by the NW. The only rec there is boating.

Chicago is a definite no go given the crime situation and the dysfunctional government there.

Denver seems like a popular choice, and it was the sole city selected by the NYT in their piece from two weeks ago in which they whittled down all the various potential locations. It is definitely a very likely choice. I could see them going for something in FL (Orlando?) or TX (Austin or San Antonio) because of the low taxes and relatively cheap cost-of-living, plus plenty of young people and favorable weather most of the year, albeit brutally hot summers. Those FL/TX places would lack the appeal of a top-level school, but at least Austin/SA have TAMU close by. The NYT times dismissed some locations because of the lack of "mass transit" that is prevalent in larger cities, but that may not be as important a component in the right location.

Posted on: 9/19 10:41
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:

I'd go with Boston, but for the stupid MA support of non-compete contracts. Since the top prospects would not want to deal with that, no tech firm wants to locate there if it has a choice. Chicago is too far from mountains for the outdoor enthusiasts like skiers climbers and cyclists. They're spoiled by the NW. The only rec there is boating.

Posted on: 9/19 10:28
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 9/19 5:49
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
They want top colleges - Princeton is trying but Boston sounds more likely. Though they just built a huge warehouse outside of Cranbury NJ - which is right by Princeton.

The top college thing is the one torpedo in the popular Denver candidacy. If it had a little better economy Pittsburgh would be a real contender.

Posted on: 9/18 18:42
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
They want top colleges - Princeton is trying but Boston sounds more likely. Though they just built a huge warehouse outside of Cranbury NJ - which is right by Princeton.

Posted on: 9/18 17:53
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fikonj wrote:
Heard on NPR today about Amazon's search for new HQ location. Does anyone know for sure whether JC is submitting a proposal? And do you think it would be a good thing (downsides mentioned in the NPR piece included increased gentrification, infrastructure overload etc)?

I saw this:http://nj1015.com/new-jersey-future-h ... zons-second-headquarters/

Read their complete list of desires, JC is not a good fit. Too expensive and too far from outdoor activities.

Posted on: 9/18 17:10
Print Top

New Amazon HQ
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Heard on NPR today about Amazon's search for new HQ location. Does anyone know for sure whether JC is submitting a proposal? And do you think it would be a good thing (downsides mentioned in the NPR piece included increased gentrification, infrastructure overload etc)?

I saw this:http://nj1015.com/new-jersey-future-h ... zons-second-headquarters/

Posted on: 9/18 17:07
Print Top

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017