Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
37 user(s) are online (24 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 37

more...




Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users






Re: Cell phone antennas in PAD
#17
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2008/4/2 7:56
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 726
Offline
The INTERNET ITSELF should be carcinogenic—it might do us some good.

Posted on: 8/29 14:08
Print Top


Re: Cell phone antennas in PAD
#16
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2008/8/12 14:31
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 3201
Offline
Quote:

Concerned_Neighbor wrote:
I'll disagree with you there, as I too also have AT&T, and I live across the street from you. I have perfect reception, and I always have full bars in my apartment. My theory boils down to your apartment most likely being built extremely well compared to mine. 140 Bay (if that is where you live) is a very well-built brick building with a lot of steel and concrete between the floors and walls correct? I think that's likely the cause for your bad cell reception. Honestly though, I would much prefer to have a solidly built building with bad cell reception vs. a building that was shoddily built but gives me great cell reception.

Ah, and we'd both be out of luck because the provider for their proposed lease is Verizon.

Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

Concerned_Neighbor wrote:
Quote:

jc_dweller wrote:
There is no evidence to suggest there are health risks. In the past the telecom companies have agreed to enter the buildings and run RF tests with a reader to prove this to the tenants. There is literally more coming off of your microwave oven.

There is also a law in place that prevents a town from blocking cell phone carriers where there is a gap in coverage. So if there is a space in PAD that isn't covered, there will be an antenna on that building or one very close by. Depending on the other buildings in the area, they do strategize the best location based on sightlines etc.


I'm not sure if there would be a gap in coverage. There are apparently cell phone antennas on the roof of 150 Bay Street.


Again, you are wrong. There is most certainly a gap on coverage in the PAD area. As an AT&T customer, I can confirm this, both through personal experience and after many conversations with AT&T engineers. As a result of this gap in coverage, I now have an AT&T microcell unit at home, which was given to me ny them free of charge and which enables me to reliably use my cellphone inside my place, which is directly across from 150 Bay. And, I am not alone in this solution: as the problem steadily grew worse over the past two years, more and more Microcell units have popped up around the neighborhood. That's why I was able to get my unit completely free.

BTW, just because 150 Bay has antennae up on their rooftop, that doesn't mean they provide coverage for everyone, or enough of it. They may be antennae for Verizon, or Sprint, or T-Mobile, or someone else entirely. We live in a dense area saturated with people, and there is a need for better coverage as the existing capacity is sometimes not enough.


Agreed with you that part of the signal issues may be related to building construction. But, my signal has definitely deteriorated over the past two or three years. I am at The ArtHouse JC, not 140 Bay, but what you describe is applicable: solid concrete construction.

As for the lease holder being Verizon, definitely not a plus for either one of us. After many, many conversations with AT&T support, and engineers, they have admitted to their coverage being spotty in our area due to both capacity and current loads. The only good solution available to consumers is to buy (or, negotiate for a free) MicroCell unit. That has been solid for me.

Posted on: 8/29 10:29
Print Top


Re: Cell phone antennas in PAD
#15
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2006/12/28 12:08
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 802
Offline
In order to get an approval they almost always show a coverage map. Do you know that the same carrier has antennas on top of 150 Bay? Because one might be AT&T and the other might be Verizon.

Also, to address the two neighbors across the street from one another - wireless signals are more or less a line of sight. So it makes sense that this would happen. If there's an antenna on top of a building, the sightline runs diagonally from the building down to the other buildings, it is entirely possible that it will only hit one side of the street. Or, even more extreme, it may cover the units on the south side of 150 Bay but not the First St. side.


Quote:

Concerned_Neighbor wrote:
Quote:

jc_dweller wrote:
There is no evidence to suggest there are health risks. In the past the telecom companies have agreed to enter the buildings and run RF tests with a reader to prove this to the tenants. There is literally more coming off of your microwave oven.

There is also a law in place that prevents a town from blocking cell phone carriers where there is a gap in coverage. So if there is a space in PAD that isn't covered, there will be an antenna on that building or one very close by. Depending on the other buildings in the area, they do strategize the best location based on sightlines etc.


I'm not sure if there would be a gap in coverage. There are apparently cell phone antennas on the roof of 150 Bay Street.

Posted on: 8/29 9:44
Print Top


Re: Cell phone antennas in PAD
#14
Newbie
Newbie


Hide User information
Joined:
8/24 21:14
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 5
Offline
I'll disagree with you there, as I too also have AT&T, and I live across the street from you. I have perfect reception, and I always have full bars in my apartment. My theory boils down to your apartment most likely being built extremely well compared to mine. 140 Bay (if that is where you live) is a very well-built brick building with a lot of steel and concrete between the floors and walls correct? I think that's likely the cause for your bad cell reception. Honestly though, I would much prefer to have a solidly built building with bad cell reception vs. a building that was shoddily built but gives me great cell reception.

Ah, and we'd both be out of luck because the provider for their proposed lease is Verizon.

Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

Concerned_Neighbor wrote:
Quote:

jc_dweller wrote:
There is no evidence to suggest there are health risks. In the past the telecom companies have agreed to enter the buildings and run RF tests with a reader to prove this to the tenants. There is literally more coming off of your microwave oven.

There is also a law in place that prevents a town from blocking cell phone carriers where there is a gap in coverage. So if there is a space in PAD that isn't covered, there will be an antenna on that building or one very close by. Depending on the other buildings in the area, they do strategize the best location based on sightlines etc.


I'm not sure if there would be a gap in coverage. There are apparently cell phone antennas on the roof of 150 Bay Street.


Again, you are wrong. There is most certainly a gap on coverage in the PAD area. As an AT&T customer, I can confirm this, both through personal experience and after many conversations with AT&T engineers. As a result of this gap in coverage, I now have an AT&T microcell unit at home, which was given to me ny them free of charge and which enables me to reliably use my cellphone inside my place, which is directly across from 150 Bay. And, I am not alone in this solution: as the problem steadily grew worse over the past two years, more and more Microcell units have popped up around the neighborhood. That's why I was able to get my unit completely free.

BTW, just because 150 Bay has antennae up on their rooftop, that doesn't mean they provide coverage for everyone, or enough of it. They may be antennae for Verizon, or Sprint, or T-Mobile, or someone else entirely. We live in a dense area saturated with people, and there is a need for better coverage as the existing capacity is sometimes not enough.

Posted on: 8/29 4:25
Print Top


Re: Cell phone antennas in PAD
#13
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2008/8/12 14:31
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 3201
Offline
Quote:

Concerned_Neighbor wrote:
Quote:

jc_dweller wrote:
There is no evidence to suggest there are health risks. In the past the telecom companies have agreed to enter the buildings and run RF tests with a reader to prove this to the tenants. There is literally more coming off of your microwave oven.

There is also a law in place that prevents a town from blocking cell phone carriers where there is a gap in coverage. So if there is a space in PAD that isn't covered, there will be an antenna on that building or one very close by. Depending on the other buildings in the area, they do strategize the best location based on sightlines etc.


I'm not sure if there would be a gap in coverage. There are apparently cell phone antennas on the roof of 150 Bay Street.


Again, you are wrong. There is most certainly a gap on coverage in the PAD area. As an AT&T customer, I can confirm this, both through personal experience and after many conversations with AT&T engineers. As a result of this gap in coverage, I now have an AT&T microcell unit at home, which was given to me ny them free of charge and which enables me to reliably use my cellphone inside my place, which is directly across from 150 Bay. And, I am not alone in this solution: as the problem steadily grew worse over the past two years, more and more Microcell units have popped up around the neighborhood. That's why I was able to get my unit completely free.

BTW, just because 150 Bay has antennae up on their rooftop, that doesn't mean they provide coverage for everyone, or enough of it. They may be antennae for Verizon, or Sprint, or T-Mobile, or someone else entirely. We live in a dense area saturated with people, and there is a need for better coverage as the existing capacity is sometimes not enough.

Posted on: 8/29 3:06
Print Top


Re: Cell phone antennas in PAD
#12
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away


Hide User information
Joined:
2008/5/6 2:21
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 141
Offline
If you are so sure these antennas are safe, link to a scientific study that proves it, thanks:


Can Cell Towers Cause Cancer?

A study performed by doctors from the German city of Naila monitored 1000 residents who had lived in an area around two cell phone towers for 10 years. During the last 5 years of the study they found that those living within 400 meters of either tower had a newly-diagnosed cancer rate three times higher than those who lived further away.

Breast cancer topped the list, but cancers of the prostate, pancreas, bowel, skin melanoma, lung and blood cancer were all increased. NailaStudy.pdf

Cellphone MastsVery few studies have specifically concentrated on cancer risk from cell phone towers. This lack of studies is in itself a cause for concern, especially since anecdotal evidence is plentiful.

For example, in a case known as “Towers of Doom”, two cell masts were installed (in 1994) on a five story apartment building in London. Residents complained of many health problems in the following years. Seven of them were diagnosed with cancer.

The cancer rate of the top floor residents (closest to the tower) was 10 times the national average. Further info.

Even the World Health Organisation has conceded that radio-frequency radiation may cause cancer. See this report.

If cell towers are causing cancer, you would expect it to occur after several years of exposure, because damage from radiation exposure accumulates over time. Cancer only occurs when all body defences and repair mechanisms have been exhausted and overwhelmed.

During those years, our bodies would be stressed by that radiation every day. This affects our health in other ways, too.

http://emwatch.com/cell-tower-health-risks/

Posted on: 8/29 1:58
Print Top


Re: Cell phone antennas in PAD
#11
Newbie
Newbie


Hide User information
Joined:
8/24 21:14
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 5
Offline
Quote:

jc_dweller wrote:
There is no evidence to suggest there are health risks. In the past the telecom companies have agreed to enter the buildings and run RF tests with a reader to prove this to the tenants. There is literally more coming off of your microwave oven.

There is also a law in place that prevents a town from blocking cell phone carriers where there is a gap in coverage. So if there is a space in PAD that isn't covered, there will be an antenna on that building or one very close by. Depending on the other buildings in the area, they do strategize the best location based on sightlines etc.


I'm not sure if there would be a gap in coverage. There are apparently cell phone antennas on the roof of 150 Bay Street.

Posted on: 8/29 1:16
Print Top


Re: Cell phone antennas in PAD
#10
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2004/11/6 16:13
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 4852
Offline
Quote:

Concerned_Neighbor wrote:
I don't how comfortable I would be living right near something that cannot be deemed absolutely safe by the American Cancer Society.


The need for absolute certainty and science are generally opposed. Climate deniers use this all the time to exaggerate the uncertainty, but good scientists pride themselves on recognizing the lack of absolutes. In my 7th grade science class when a kid would ask "is it possible..." the teacher would reply "anything is possible, but it may be highly improbable."

Posted on: 8/28 21:28
Print Top


Re: Cell phone antennas in PAD
#9
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2006/12/28 12:08
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 802
Offline
There is no evidence to suggest there are health risks. In the past the telecom companies have agreed to enter the buildings and run RF tests with a reader to prove this to the tenants. There is literally more coming off of your microwave oven.

There is also a law in place that prevents a town from blocking cell phone carriers where there is a gap in coverage. So if there is a space in PAD that isn't covered, there will be an antenna on that building or one very close by. Depending on the other buildings in the area, they do strategize the best location based on sightlines etc.

Posted on: 8/28 10:22
Print Top


Re: Cell phone antennas in PAD
#8
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2015/5/27 20:34
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 632
Offline
Quote:

12345 wrote:
The Jersey City Council will vote on the installation of all cell towers in Jersey City; they ALWAYS vote to approve. If the council votes against the placement of the tower the tower will be installed anyway because federal law prohibits the local government to decide on installation of cell towers, gas pipelines, electricity cables, etc.


Resized Image

Good luck Concerned Neighbor! lol

Posted on: 8/27 11:17
Print Top


Re: Cell phone antennas in PAD
#7
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2008/8/12 14:31
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 3201
Offline
Quote:

Concerned_Neighbor wrote:
Thanks for the response jerseymom. I understand what you're saying about not becoming overly concerned, and that is good advice.

However, according to the American Cancer Society, they can't actually say that there are no risks involved in cell phone antennas because the bottom line is very few human studies have focused on cellular phone towers and cancer risk. It's an unknown with no conclusive answer at this point in time if I understand their statement correctly. I don't how comfortable I would be living right near something that cannot be deemed absolutely safe by the American Cancer Society.

Regarding the "ugly as hell" eyesore that these antennas will apparently create, what kind of effect would something like this have on property value?

I am still wondering if anyone knows the zoning laws in the PAD and whether or not something like this can be approved without the neighborhood's approval?

Quote:

jerseymom wrote:
Oye! Before you get yourself overly concerned, please be wary of any "study" that links cell phone towers to cancer. It's unfounded and not grounded in good science - just hysteria.

Here's some GOOD information from experts at the American Cancer Society:

https://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancer-c ... ellular-phone-towers.html

Bottom line:

Very few human studies have focused specifically on cellular phone towers and cancer risk.

In terms of your issue, there are some practical concerns regarding these cell phone tower clusters. I lived in a building above a roof filled with them and they are ugly as hell. Also, the building roof has to be structurally sound to be able to support the added weight. Other than that, they bring in a nice chunk of change to the condo associations/building management. And they are everywhere. It's how your cell phone works!



This is alarmist drivel. There is NOTHING that is science based that stands to scrutiny that conclusively shows a correlation between cell towers and cancer. Exposing rats to nine hours of cell signals for the duration of their two-year lifespans is simply not an accurate representation of how most people user their phones. Also, almost everyone understands that you can't start from some untested, made up premise and then assume it to be true unless it is disproved. The logical, scientific process is based on the opposite: you posit a theory, and you try to prove it.

In any case, good luck trying to block a building from being able to rent out their roof space. How would you feel if your neighbors could decide on your choice or paint, or TV? My only complaint about cell towers is based on prior experience: my previous building did the same thing (rent out their rooftop for the installation of cell antennas) and the impact on WiFi was quite noticeable. My WiFI went from a rock solid 20 Mbps to about 5-10 Mbps, which was super annoying.

Posted on: 8/27 8:22
Print Top


Re: Cell phone antennas in PAD
#6
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away


Hide User information
Joined:
2008/5/6 2:21
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 141
Offline
The Jersey City Council will vote on the installation of all cell towers in Jersey City; they ALWAYS vote to approve. If the council votes against the placement of the tower the tower will be installed anyway because federal law prohibits the local government to decide on installation of cell towers, gas pipelines, electricity cables, etc.

Not many US studies on EMF exposure from cell towers but many studies in europe that scientifically there is harm to human health especially when the tower is outside your window. Yes we need communications but these towers should be installed only on poles or industrial buildings. Look at 150 Bay Street, the antennas are on the roof a few feet away windows on the west side. Get an EMF meter and test the radiation before you move into your apartment!

Major Cell Phone Radiation Study Reignites Cancer Questions
https://www.scientificamerican.com/art ... ignites-cancer-questions/

Posted on: 8/25 1:54
Print Top


Re: Cell phone antennas in PAD
#5
Newbie
Newbie


Hide User information
Joined:
8/24 21:14
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 5
Offline
Thanks for the response jerseymom. I understand what you're saying about not becoming overly concerned, and that is good advice.

However, according to the American Cancer Society, they can't actually say that there are no risks involved in cell phone antennas because the bottom line is very few human studies have focused on cellular phone towers and cancer risk. It's an unknown with no conclusive answer at this point in time if I understand their statement correctly. I don't how comfortable I would be living right near something that cannot be deemed absolutely safe by the American Cancer Society.

Regarding the "ugly as hell" eyesore that these antennas will apparently create, what kind of effect would something like this have on property value?

I am still wondering if anyone knows the zoning laws in the PAD and whether or not something like this can be approved without the neighborhood's approval?

Quote:

jerseymom wrote:
Oye! Before you get yourself overly concerned, please be wary of any "study" that links cell phone towers to cancer. It's unfounded and not grounded in good science - just hysteria.

Here's some GOOD information from experts at the American Cancer Society:

https://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancer-c ... ellular-phone-towers.html

Bottom line:

Very few human studies have focused specifically on cellular phone towers and cancer risk.

In terms of your issue, there are some practical concerns regarding these cell phone tower clusters. I lived in a building above a roof filled with them and they are ugly as hell. Also, the building roof has to be structurally sound to be able to support the added weight. Other than that, they bring in a nice chunk of change to the condo associations/building management. And they are everywhere. It's how your cell phone works!


Posted on: 8/25 1:13
Print Top


Re: Cell phone antennas in PAD
#4
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2007/7/9 15:50
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 1789
Offline
Oye! Before you get yourself overly concerned, please be wary of any "study" that links cell phone towers to cancer. It's unfounded and not grounded in good science - just hysteria.

Here's some GOOD information from experts at the American Cancer Society:

https://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancer-c ... ellular-phone-towers.html

Bottom line:

Very few human studies have focused specifically on cellular phone towers and cancer risk.

In terms of your issue, there are some practical concerns regarding these cell phone tower clusters. I lived in a building above a roof filled with them and they are ugly as hell. Also, the building roof has to be structurally sound to be able to support the added weight. Other than that, they bring in a nice chunk of change to the condo associations/building management. And they are everywhere. It's how your cell phone works!


Posted on: 8/25 0:34
Print Top


Re: Cell phone antennas in PAD
#3
Newbie
Newbie


Hide User information
Joined:
8/24 21:14
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 5
Offline
WOW. Thank you for the link to that study 12345. Now I'm even more concerned with this proposed plan. I had not even thought about possible health risks involved in the radiation emitted from the cell phone antennas. 1/3 of a mile away? That means basically everyone in the PAD would be affected.


Quote:

12345 wrote:
New study links over 7,000 cancer deaths to cell phone tower radiation exposures

(NaturalNews) Could exposure to radiation from cell phone towers really responsible for over 7,000 cancer deaths? According to research findings from Brazil, the facts speak for themselves. The study established a direct link between cancer deaths in Belo Horizonte, Brazil's third largest city, with the cell phone network.

What does this direct link stem from?
Over 80 percent of those who succumbed to certain types of cancer resided approximately a third of a mile away from one of the hundreds of cell phone antennae that populate the city.

These cancers, primarily found in the prostate, breasts, lungs, kidneys, liver, are the ones associated with exposure to electromagnetic fields (EMFs).
http://www.naturalnews.com/040905_cel ... ers_radiation_cancer.html

Posted on: 8/24 23:30
Print Top


Re: Cell phone antennas in PAD
#2
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away


Hide User information
Joined:
2008/5/6 2:21
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 141
Offline
New study links over 7,000 cancer deaths to cell phone tower radiation exposures

(NaturalNews) Could exposure to radiation from cell phone towers really responsible for over 7,000 cancer deaths? According to research findings from Brazil, the facts speak for themselves. The study established a direct link between cancer deaths in Belo Horizonte, Brazil's third largest city, with the cell phone network.

What does this direct link stem from?
Over 80 percent of those who succumbed to certain types of cancer resided approximately a third of a mile away from one of the hundreds of cell phone antennae that populate the city.

These cancers, primarily found in the prostate, breasts, lungs, kidneys, liver, are the ones associated with exposure to electromagnetic fields (EMFs).
http://www.naturalnews.com/040905_cel ... ers_radiation_cancer.html

Posted on: 8/24 23:24
Print Top


Cell phone antennas in PAD
#1
Newbie
Newbie


Hide User information
Joined:
8/24 21:14
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 5
Offline
Hello everyone,

I am a long time reader of JClist, and I wanted to discuss an issue that has recently come to light. I live in the PAD, and I have been told by my neighbors in the building adjacent to me that their condo association board has a proposed plan to have cell phone antennas installed on the roof of their building. Apparently, their building would be paid by a cell phone company to have their roof covered in cell phone antennas and their lease with the cell phone company would be for at least several years. I am concerned about whether this can adversely affect my property value if their building actually goes through with this plan. Are there zoning laws in the PAD that prevent this type of thing from happening? Who can I contact in local government to inquire and voice my concerns about this proposed plan?

Posted on: 8/24 21:55
Print Top








[Advanced Search]





Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me



Lost Password?

Register now!



LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact


JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017