Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
120 user(s) are online (87 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 120

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Asbestos in neighbor's demo?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/4/5 1:44
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I wouldn't worry too much about asbestosis -- it'll rear its head, if at all, years from now. However, lead paint and asbestos are taken seriously by the EPA. Call the regional office and voice your concerns if so inclined. Otherwise, don't sweat it. Carcinogens abound in JC, your neighbors fibral discharge notwithstanding.

Posted on: 2017/8/1 19:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/6/2 11:06
From Scenic McGinley Square
Group:
Registered Users
I'm not trying to discount your fears, but what makes you think you may have been exposed to lead or asbestos? Are the workers wearing any protective gear while they are doing this demo?

Posted on: 2017/8/1 18:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/14 20:15
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users
Unfortunately, this is something where there is no quick answer.

From the web,

"If you think you have been exposed to asbestos, remember that it can take from 20 to 50 years for symptoms of an illness to appear. If you?re concerned, here?s what you should do:

Tell your doctor that you think you?ve been exposed, and remind them annually
1. Ask for regular pulmonary check ups
2. Consider regular pulmonary function tests or monitoring
3. Familiarise yourself with the symptoms of mesothelioma, asbestosis, asbestos-related lung cancer, pleural thickening and pleural plaques ? and be vigilant when you develop any chest- or breathing-related problems. When you experience these symptoms, see your doctor and remind them about your exposure.
4. Quit smoking. Think about the cumulative carcinogenic effects that both tobacco and asbestos could have on your lungs: they each increase a chance of developing cancer from the other."

Posted on: 2017/8/1 16:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/1/18 16:12
From Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks for those ideas. I'm very concerned about whether or not we've been exposed to dangerous material such as asbestos or lead from the dust. Apparently to get a demo permit from the building department all the contractor just has to do is put it in writing that there's no asbestos. But how does he know before he starts the demolition? Especially if he's a general contractor? Does anyone have any insight? How concerned should I be? The building department referred me to the Department of Environmental Protection.

Posted on: 2017/8/1 14:56

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/6/16 20:40
Group:
Registered Users
Is there a yellow building permit posted either in the window or door?

make a note of the number and the contractor's contact info

Make a complaint to:
https://seeclickfix.com/issues/

And keep calling the health dept for inspector to come and inspect. that's what they get paid for.

Posted on: 2017/7/31 23:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Call your local ward council person, the Resident Response Center (201) 547-4900, and the county health department.

Posted on: 2017/7/31 21:49
Get on your bikes and ride !

Asbestos in neighbor's demo?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/1/18 16:12
From Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
The building next to mine is undergoing a gut renovation and the contractor has been piling all the debris in the backyard. Dust from the demo is blowing into my yard. Before I realized what was going on (we have a high fence so I couldn't see into the yard from the ground) I spent some time in the yard with my young child and we had our windows open for a few weeks. Now I'm wondering if we've been exposed to asbestos or lead. I filed a complaint with the health department and they made the contractor remove the debris but he has since filled the yard with garbage again. I've also tried getting in touch with the building department to see if they verified that there was not asbestos prior to the demo since I'm assuming they had to obtain a permit to do this work. Can anyone offer me any assurances? It's a brick row house but was probably renovated and divided during the 1980s.

Posted on: 2017/7/31 21:14

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017