Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
131 user(s) are online (115 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 131

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Cordero Principal Strynar retiring!!!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2017/7/4 22:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
This is not a comment about the retiring principal but when I taped the board of education candidates debate last year, I was shocked by the condition of the stage. I taught in NYC Catholic school system and visited many school auditorums for workshops/meetings, I never came across a Catholic School is poor shape as the auditorium at the Cordero School. While the retiring principal is receiving praise, who is responsible for the physical condition of this school?

Posted on: 2017/6/24 23:52

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/7/12 1:21
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I have two children at Cordero and have been at the school for four years now. My children are thriving and I?ve found the academics to be fairly rigorous. Cordero has many high quality teachers including an amazing art teacher. It?s also a nurturing environment with many wonderful families. The academics do need more focus but as noted by others the overall ?grade? of the school is due in part to the junior high performance and students with IEPs. Don?t get me started on judging a school by test scores without accounting for a number of variables! Some of the building and other items noted are district-wide issues that need to be addressed.

Right or wrong, Mr. Strynar put the children first, then the teachers and last the parents. We didn?t always agree but he was very supportive of an after school enrichment program that I helped run and he most definitely earned my respect. He was always out in front of the school at drop off and pick up. He knew all the children by name and fostered a community feeling that I understand is rare for a JCPS. After 47 years of dedicated service as principal of Cordero, he deserves honor and respect.

Posted on: 2017/6/24 22:03

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/17 13:37
Group:
Registered Users
I agree with DanL. Both my children attended Cordero and yes, there are some imperfections.
The teachers are great and staff members were helpful. There have been an increase with parents
involvement with the school.

Many people do not realize Cordero also accommodates special education classes for special needs
and autistic children. Some of these children are required to take the State mandated test which will
affect the school's overall ratings.

Posted on: 2017/6/22 13:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Adonis wrote:
I checked out the Principles office. Nobody was in it. However I did notice that the office stunk like the bottom of an ashtray. What the hell is that? You mean to tell me this Principal is able to break the law by smoking in a public building (not to mention a building that's full of children) and keep his job for almost 50 years???!!! Sickening.

JCBOE Spokesperson Derrick Coleman responded "Well whoop de damn do!"

Posted on: 2017/6/22 1:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Yes, it is a good school. Its not for people that want a suburban like experience with newer facilities or want to be able to come in and change things (and then leave for greener pastures.) He ran the school for the benefit of the kids that came to it and did so for decades. I did not always agree with him and did bump heads, but I always respected and admired him, and what he accomplished.

For those that like to like to point to ratings, please keep in mind that the top 10-15% of their students leave after 5th grade for the district-wide accelerated magnet programs in Academy One and MS4. Most of the top performing students are no longer in the school for grades 6 thru 8, but there were still students that went on from Cordero to McNair Academic.

We found the academics rigorous and the school disciplined with next to no bullying. My wife and I were always welcomed in the school. There was breakfast with guidance and thanks to a few parents there were some great fundraising events which Principal Strynar thanked by cooking a dinner in the school home-economics lab.

Its an urban school and your children will be in school with children from the greater neighborhood including the public housing projects. My children had classmates whose grandparents attended Cordero under Principal Strynar.

Just like we teach children, do not judge a book by the cover. My children thrived at Cordero and it did not hold them back.

Marvin Strynar is one of the great people in Jersey City who has left a lasting impression on my children.

Quote:

JPhurst wrote:
It's a good school, but an old building and no space for recess. The heat dismissal was district wide.

The principal ran that school with an iron fist. I suppose that had its benefits and its drawbacks.

Posted on: 2017/6/22 0:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Adonis wrote:
I went inside that school a few months ago to register my kids for the pre-school lottery. I was very disappointed. The JC public schools are given an insane amount of money and yet the schools DON'T have central air conditioning???!! After all these decades???!!! That's crazy. The entire building looks like it's never been renovated at all after almost 100 years of existence. I checked out the Principles office. Nobody was in it. However I did notice that the office stunk like the bottom of an ashtray. What the hell is that? You mean to tell me this Principal is able to break the law by smoking in a public building (not to mention a building that's full of children) and keep his job for almost 50 years???!!! Sickening.

Sounds about right for local JC government. Do as we say, not as we do.

Posted on: 2017/6/21 17:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 11:59
Group:
Registered Users
I went inside that school a few months ago to register my kids for the pre-school lottery. I was very disappointed. The JC public schools are given an insane amount of money and yet the schools DON'T have central air conditioning???!! After all these decades???!!! That's crazy. The entire building looks like it's never been renovated at all after almost 100 years of existence. I checked out the Principles office. Nobody was in it. However I did notice that the office stunk like the bottom of an ashtray. What the hell is that? You mean to tell me this Principal is able to break the law by smoking in a public building (not to mention a building that's full of children) and keep his job for almost 50 years???!!! Sickening.

Posted on: 2017/6/21 17:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
It's a good school, but an old building and no space for recess. The heat dismissal was district wide.

The principal ran that school with an iron fist. I suppose that had its benefits and its drawbacks.

Posted on: 2017/6/21 15:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/1/18 16:12
From Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
This seems like good news. This is the school we're zoned for but after taking a tour in the spring I'm really, really hesitant about sending my kid there. The lack of AC and decision last week to send kids home because of the heat with no notice to the parents (12:40 call for a 12:45 dismissal) says a lot about how this school operates. Will a new principal fix these kinds of issues or are these matters dictated by the board of ed? I'm honestly curious as I'm trying to wrap my head around how the school system works (or doesn't) in JC.

Posted on: 2017/6/21 15:31

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/6 19:06
From DTJC
Group:
Registered Users
It has a very poor rating (2/10) on Great Schools. So definitely not one of the best. Hopefully they will find someone to bring that school into the 21st Century.

Posted on: 2017/6/15 11:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/26 19:42
From Chilltown, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Holy crap, how has this guy stayed in the big chair 47 years till he is 86??? My kid was registered for kindergarten there in 2004 when he got into LCCS. When my wife tried to get info about the school and a tour, she got stiff armed, and I've heard nothing different since, he has kept parents out of HIS school. Parental involvement is well know to be the BIG difference in urban schools like on the upper west side and in Park Slope.

No doubt he was a hero decades ago, but what was the best that could be done in the 70's is not necessarily so 47 years later. Lets hope for some change, where the energetic and educated parents of the area get to contribute.

Quote:
Dr. Norma Fernandez, Director at the Board of Education, will be at the Cordero School (P.S. 37) auditorium tomorrow, June 14, from 6-7 pm to discuss the Cordero principal search. Alternatively, Dr. Fernandez will also be the guest speaker at a PTP meeting to take place at 9 am tomorrow morning in the Cordero auditorium. For those that aren?t aware, long-time principal Mr. Strynar recently retired. This is a great opportunity for community members to learn about the process and ask any questions they may have. A strong neighborhood school is vitally important for our children and it all starts with strong leadership. All current and future Cordero parents as well as the broader community are encouraged to attend.

Your wife probably interrupted his usual cigarette break in his air conditioned office before he goes for a ride on his motorcycle lol.

All joking aside when I went to that school as a kid it was considered one of the best if not the best public school in JC. I don't know if that is still true today or not.

Posted on: 2017/6/14 22:12

Cordero Principal Strynar retiring!!!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Holy crap, how has this guy stayed in the big chair 47 years till he is 86??? My kid was registered for kindergarten there in 2004 when he got into LCCS. When my wife tried to get info about the school and a tour, she got stiff armed, and I've heard nothing different since, he has kept parents out of HIS school. Parental involvement is well know to be the BIG difference in urban schools like on the upper west side and in Park Slope.

No doubt he was a hero decades ago, but what was the best that could be done in the 70's is not necessarily so 47 years later. Lets hope for some change, where the energetic and educated parents of the area get to contribute.

Quote:
Dr. Norma Fernandez, Director at the Board of Education, will be at the Cordero School (P.S. 37) auditorium tomorrow, June 14, from 6-7 pm to discuss the Cordero principal search. Alternatively, Dr. Fernandez will also be the guest speaker at a PTP meeting to take place at 9 am tomorrow morning in the Cordero auditorium. For those that aren?t aware, long-time principal Mr. Strynar recently retired. This is a great opportunity for community members to learn about the process and ask any questions they may have. A strong neighborhood school is vitally important for our children and it all starts with strong leadership. All current and future Cordero parents as well as the broader community are encouraged to attend.

Posted on: 2017/6/14 3:57

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017