Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
143 user(s) are online (127 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 143

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Jersey City Schools - PS 16
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Good grief, I went to school without central air and so did my children. What do children do when school is out? They play outside in the sun especially boys bouncing basketballs all day long.

Well, now I'm a believer! There is a God, and she sent her youthful hoops angels to start your punishment early.

Why is this a punishment? I was out yesterday in the sun, it was a beautiful day.

Posted on: 2017/6/14 12:42

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/15 22:25
From NJ
Group:
Registered Users
An elementary school kid could have told you that it was going to be really hot, very early in the morning yesterday.

Assume the issue is that Lyles and her team were nice and comfy in their Air Conditioned offices and have no sense of what reality is.....

Sad that she has a contract until 2020. Maybe someone from an appropriate agency or the Mayors office can look into this epic failure of responsibility....

Posted on: 2017/6/14 12:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Good grief, I went to school without central air and so did my children. What do children do when school is out? They play outside in the sun especially boys bouncing basketballs all day long.

Well, now I'm a believer! There is a God, and she sent her youthful hoops angels to start your punishment early.

Posted on: 2017/6/14 1:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2017/6/14 1:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/26 19:42
From Chilltown, NJ
Group:
Registered Users

Jersey City parents livid over early dismissal for 'excessive heat'

Updated on June 13, 2017 at 5:27 PM
Posted on June 13, 2017 at 4:57 PM

BY TERRENCE T. MCDONALD
tmcdonald@jjournal.com
The Jersey Journal

Jersey City Schools Superintendent Marcia V. Lyles is under fire from irate parents who received little notice that the public school district would end school early today because of the scorching heat.

Parents described chaos at the district's schools as parents came to collect their kids only to find out that even school staff did not know about the call for early dismissal. Others who do not work in the area said they had to make frantic calls to neighbors and friends asking them to pick up their children.

Schools let out today at 12:45 p.m., two hours earlier than usual.

Asked to describe the scene at schools today, one parent who asked not to be named said, "Madness, madness, madness." Another, Lilia R. Diaz, a parent of an 11-year-old School 37 student, said the school was "overwhelmed" when parents came to get their children.

Diaz said she was told first to go inside the school, then told to wait outside for students to come. Then she received a call from her daughter saying the students wouldn't be let out unless parents called school staff.

"It was complete and utter chaos," said Diaz.

The mercury reached into the mid-90s today. Schools across New Jersey closed early yesterday and today.

Joel Torres, president of the Jersey City school board, said even he didn't find out about today's early dismissal until just before it happened.

"I found out at 12:44," Torres said. "I bet you I found out the same time as other parents."

Torres said the school board would discuss today's events with district staff at the board's regular caucus.

District spokeswoman Maryann Dickar defended Lyles' decision, saying "the apparent build-up of heat in some schools was stifling" today and the district received reports that even in schools that have air conditioning, the systems were not functioning adequately.

The decision to close schools at 12:45 p.m. was made at noon, according to Dickar. It can take up to 30 minutes for every parent in the district to receive notice, she said.

"District staff worked hard and as quickly as they could to get parents informed," she said. "We know that a change in plan like this is hard on our families and we appreciate their quick response to the situation."

The near-record temperatures are supposed to drop dramatically starting tomorrow.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... incart_river_mobile_index

Posted on: 2017/6/13 23:04

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/15 17:46
From Jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
This wasn't just for PS16. It was district wide. I received a robocall at 12.46 for a 12.45 pickup. What a way to run a district

Posted on: 2017/6/13 21:50

Jersey City Schools - PS 16
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/15 22:25
From NJ
Group:
Registered Users
A work colleague of mine received a text message saying PS-16 was being dismissed this afternoon because of the excessive heat with 7 minutes prior to the dismissal time.
What a way to run a school. Luckily there was a relative nearby.

Posted on: 2017/6/13 19:18

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017