Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
112 user(s) are online (97 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 112

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Window a/c service?

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/22 14:32
From UES Manhattan
Group:
Registered Users

I have always considered AC window units to be disposable items. When they fail, time to toss them.
If it is failing gradually it is likely a Freon leak or a failing compressor both of which are beyond a do-it-yourselfer.

If it is thermostat, what I would do is pull it out, it is connected with two wires: SHORT THEM and it will be always ON.

Posted on: 2017/6/22 14:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

07310 wrote:

Sounds like a failing compressor

I agree, given the limited info. Look, here's AC and fridge 101:

There's the compressor, the thing that actually makes cold, and there's the controls that tell it when to go on and off. The Compressor has a motor that you can hear start when it needs cold, and stop when it's cold enough. That's in addition to the quieter fan motor.

The compressor has no slightly on, it's either on or off. If your compressor is running, and the tubes behind the filter are getting cold, then your compressor is OK. If you can hear the compressor running and the tubes don't get cold or only a little bit, it's toast. If you can't get the compressor to run, or it gets cold but turns off too soon, it might be just a controls problem.

Honestly, I just don't think a window unit is worth agonizing about. Even a fridge isn't worth replacing the compressor. I did it for a side by side, cost $400 and it crapped out just after the year warrantee. Controls are different. I just replaced the computer AGAIN in my 9 year old fridge that wasn't keeping cold, cost $120 for the part, youtubed the procedure that was easier than swapping a PC motherboard, and it was back working perfectly.

If this is the problem the parts and labor will come close or equal to what you would pay for a new mid price ac.

Posted on: 2017/6/15 13:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

07310 wrote:

Sounds like a failing compressor

I agree, given the limited info. Look, here's AC and fridge 101:

There's the compressor, the thing that actually makes cold, and there's the controls that tell it when to go on and off. The Compressor has a motor that you can hear start when it needs cold, and stop when it's cold enough. That's in addition to the quieter fan motor.

The compressor has no slightly on, it's either on or off. If your compressor is running, and the tubes behind the filter are getting cold, then your compressor is OK. If you can hear the compressor running and the tubes don't get cold or only a little bit, it's toast. If you can't get the compressor to run, or it gets cold but turns off too soon, it might be just a controls problem.

Honestly, I just don't think a window unit is worth agonizing about. Even a fridge isn't worth replacing the compressor. I did it for a side by side, cost $400 and it crapped out just after the year warrantee. Controls are different. I just replaced the computer AGAIN in my 9 year old fridge that wasn't keeping cold, cost $120 for the part, youtubed the procedure that was easier than swapping a PC motherboard, and it was back working perfectly.

Posted on: 2017/6/15 3:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jsqfunk wrote:
i've done everything i can like clean the filter and what not, it is getting progressively weaker (amount of cold air pumped out) and also getting louder

Sounds like a failing compressor, go to YouTube and put in you make and model along with the basic problem, such as not cooling and see what comes up. If it is a simple inexpensive fix the video can tell you how to fix it.

Posted on: 2017/6/15 0:19

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/7 2:57
Group:
Registered Users
i've done everything i can like clean the filter and what not, it is getting progressively weaker (amount of cold air pumped out) and also getting louder

Posted on: 2017/6/14 22:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/23 15:07
From Between Thought and Expression
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jsqfunk wrote:
Has anyone ever had a window mounted air conditioner serviced? Or do people just buy new ones. I have some of the mid -priced fredrich models about 5 years old
That I would prefer not throw away - let me know if you have any experience with this
I have called two air conditioner repair companies and both did not work with in window units

What's the problem with it? They typically last well beyond 5 years here in the Northeast.

Posted on: 2017/6/14 16:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

jsqfunk wrote:
there is 100% no way I could replace the thermostat on an air conditioner has anyone had their window unit serviced (and not gotten ripped off).?

These guys have a minimum service call of at least $100. It's just not worth it for a unit under $200 new, and a new unit will be lighter and more efficient. As GP said: no.

Posted on: 2017/6/14 3:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jsqfunk wrote:
... has anyone had their window unit serviced (and not gotten ripped off?

No

Posted on: 2017/6/14 1:42

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
there is 100% no way I could replace the thermostat on an air conditioner has anyone had their window unit serviced (and not gotten ripped off).?

Posted on: 2017/6/14 1:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jsqfunk wrote:
Has anyone ever had a window mounted air conditioner serviced? Or do people just buy new ones. I have some of the mid -priced fredrich models about 5 years old
That I would prefer not throw away - let me know if you have any experience with this
I have called two air conditioner repair companies and both did not work with in window units

The thermostat sometimes can be easily changed -- likely it is just that -- and you can often get the exact one on eBay -- but really ACs have gotten very cheap and very light. ( 5000 BTUs are often $50 -- 8000 BTUs are $150 12000 BTUs are $250 ) - Check at Home Depot or Lowes -- wait till the heat wave ends today -- then give it a few days for sales again.

Posted on: 2017/6/13 13:33

Window a/c service?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2017/6/13 11:44

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017