Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
115 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 115

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Alternatives to zipcar
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
sometimes rental cars can be cheaper than zipcars, even after insurance and taxes and gas.

Posted on: 2017/5/11 11:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/29 17:59
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Bike_Lane wrote:
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:
anyone else noticing the JC Zipcar fleet shrinking? and the cars they do have are mostly premium / expensive?

I used to be able to get a last-minute car on a weekday. no more.

The fleet is shrinking and there are mostly premium cars "living" in downtown JC. No cars at all in Journal Square anymore. I've been using zipcar far less recently than I had in the past, because I don't need a BMW for a trip to Trader Joe's. I tweeted zipcar about this before and their response is along the lines of "oh sry lol"

Funny thing is the Zip Car seems to have plenty of weekend cars in Battery Park Area. I was bounced from a DTJC car once to car in Battery Park. I called the dummies and they said the car was only 1.5 miles away. I told them it was in another state and I needed to go through tunnel/tolls to get it. Silence.

Posted on: 2017/5/10 20:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/20 23:45
From gone
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:
anyone else noticing the JC Zipcar fleet shrinking? and the cars they do have are mostly premium / expensive?

The fleet is shrinking and there are mostly premium cars "living" in downtown JC. No cars at all in Journal Square anymore. I've been using zipcar far less recently than I had in the past, because I don't need a BMW for a trip to Trader Joe's. I tweeted zipcar about this before and their response is along the lines of "oh sry lol"

Posted on: 2017/5/10 20:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bustjc wrote:
definitely shrinking

If you try maven my code is MICHAEL0160
they do an uber type thing 15.00 referral code for both sides.

Maven doesn't have many cars in Jersey City

The Maven cars are parked outside my building. I haven't tried them myself, but a few neighbors have, and their feedback/reviews have been fairly positive.

Posted on: 2017/5/10 18:54

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/3/23 0:39
Group:
Registered Users
definitely shrinking

If you try maven my code is MICHAEL0160
they do an uber type thing 15.00 referral code for both sides.

Maven doesn't have many cars in Jersey City

Posted on: 2017/5/10 18:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2017/5/10 16:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/21 2:00
Group:
Registered Users
I gradually went from using zipcar weekly or more to only a few times a year. I found other ways to do what I needed to do cuz I grew to detest zipcar. Now I use it, or used it, to make minor trips a few times a year which encompass up to 6 hours.

I thought of Enterprise, the car rental, and that seems a viable alternative. However, they don't provide 24/7 and I think the location by me is closed on Sundays, the one on Communipaw.

Based on the reviews I read and TheBigGuy's experience, I think I'll stay away from Enterprise Carshare. I wonder if the bad experience on Montgomery is the same lot that Zipcar uses. I had problems there. The attendants are nice enough but neglectful.

Maven seems like a possibility for the futurewhen they get bigger. It seems very similar to goshare.

Has anyone had experience with Goshare? The reviews are mixed, but it seems like a good option.

Posted on: 2017/5/10 0:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jklm wrote:
Electric vehicle sharing - called "Maven" over on First Street between Marin and Provost. There are only a few cars available, but with demand they would expand.

http://joingreenspot.com/car-sharing/

Thanks for this tip will check it out.

Posted on: 2017/5/10 0:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/7/1 19:35
Group:
Registered Users
Electric vehicle sharing - called "Maven" over on First Street between Marin and Provost. There are only a few cars available, but with demand they would expand.

http://joingreenspot.com/car-sharing/

Posted on: 2017/5/9 23:52

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/11 21:03
From 2nd St.
Group:
Registered Users
Curious what your primary use for zipcar is and usual length of time. It seems to me if it's around three hours, you might as well do a regular rental at Enterprise since I usually pay <$30/day at the 2nd St location. For people using the car to haul stuff from one place to another, maybe GoShare moving app?

Posted on: 2017/5/9 22:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I tried Enterprise... ended with bad experience @ Montgomery Street Parking Garage. They were my backup service to Zip. I left car/keys in the parking spot (my typical Zip routine). About 36 hours later get a phone call/email from Enter saying the car keys were not in the car. I told them I left them there, but I checked house etc.

Then I walked back over to the garage with flashlight, had them open the car and went through it thinking keys fell down seat. I found nothing... now I am being told I will have to buy replacements keys blah blah blah...
As I stepped away from car looking outside under the car, I suddenly realized the car was not parked the way I left it. Someone moved it and parked it at an angle that was crossing two spaces.

I told the dopes on the phone/email what I had found.. I even sent pictures of the poorly parked car, telling them someone else (parking lot attendant???) had moved the car and parked it real crappy. After about 12 more hours, multiple emails/phone calls for update, and watching my credit card someone told me the keys were located in the Parking Office.

For the 3+ days of being told I was wrong, doing their job to locate the keys and the anxiety of paying a couple hundred $s for missing keys that were not my fault, there was no response back to my questions about what actually happened, not even a thank-you for helping. They just put me on ignore.

That treatment pissed me off more than the actual incident. I cancelled asap and I would not recommend them.

Posted on: 2017/5/9 19:42

Alternatives to zipcar
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/21 2:00
Group:
Registered Users
Not to get into the dirty details, but after 7 years, I'm dropping zipcar. I see Enterprise Carshare offers almost an identical program to zipcar with 3 locations in JC. However, yelp reviews (for NYC) aren't good, though only a few. Anyone have experience with Enterprise Carshare or another zipcar alternative?

Posted on: 2017/5/9 18:28

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017