Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
124 user(s) are online (103 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 124

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Dixon Leasing Cheating JC out of Taxes with the help of Rebecca Sysmes
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/25 1:59
From here to eternity
Group:
Registered Users
Developers have tried to exert direct political influence on the city for a very long time. That Symes is running for council moves the dial into a completely different direction. She is a skilled real estate lawyer, she has been Dixon's in-house counsel for at least 5 years, and she has been very effective in channeling financial support from Dixon to many politically connected groups and associations in JC. She is not running for the greater common good: she is running for what is best for her and the developers.

That she has left Dixon is known. Few believe that the umbilical cords have been cut completely between Symes and Dixon. Many are aware that she continues to reside in a property that is owned by Dixon.

While working for Symes and in her capacity as their community contact, she has channelled funds from Dixon to different civic groups mainly in the downtown area (Ward E). Whether this has been by design or accident, others should opine on. Whether there were strings attached with the funding- and what types of strings - perhaps are not important, but it is difficult to imagine that a developer would give money away for the benefit of the greater common good. It is more than likely that there has been a covert quid pro quo for the longer term benefit of both Symes and Dixon.

[In the case of Dixon, we should not forget that it is not a U.S. owned entity; it is Australian, hence Dixon would have to comply not only with U.S. but also with Aussie rules when it comes to providing funding to civic groups.]

Symes with her liberal urban upper-middle class agenda is appealing to the average Ward E voter: well-educated, relatively affluent, and socially liberal. She is promising a sanitized version of social justice that appeals to the average voter in the downtown: a more enjoyable city to live in. Consequently, many will vote for her.

It is a huge mistake.

It is difficult to imagine that someone who has moved to Jersey City to work for the most aggressive developer in the city will suddenly embrace an agenda that is not benefitting developers. It borders the unimaginable that her political priorities will move away from supporting development. Her strong pro-developer dependence and connections will counter any of the liberal political promises that she is making during the campaign.

Supporting Symes is an excusable mistake. And, voting for Symes is pure and simple stupidity.

Posted on: 2017/10/13 21:52

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/12 3:48
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

T-Bird wrote:
Quote:

JCvoter wrote:
I do not think Grillo is Fulop's pick, I think it's just who he has somehow ended up with and if he got to choose it would be Symes.

To be clear, not making a choice IS a choice... He could have chosen Symes.

He didn't choose to not choose either, he was hedging his bets between the 3 candidates that he knows he can rely on to further his agenda. One "dropped" out so he is left with Symes and Grillo, it looks like Grillo is outperforming Symes but Fulop still needs to keep her in the race because A. she's so close to the money and B. she'll bleed votes from Hudnut and Solomon.

As for Hudnut switching sides, very likely you know more than I do and I'm happy to hear what you have to say but I assumed this was part of the larger Exodus from the Fulop camp - if anyone switched it was Fulop and many people Downtown chose their principles over a person.

One more word on Rebecca Symes, as campaign manager she was the architect of the John Reichart fiasco. Reichart, a Silverman employee, was elected to the Board of Ed, where he did important work such as requesting permission to bring a gun onto school property and posting racist memes on facebook.
Reichart resigned after little more than a year.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... ard_member_resigning.html

Posted on: 2017/10/11 10:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCvoter wrote:
I do not think Grillo is Fulop's pick, I think it's just who he has somehow ended up with and if he got to choose it would be Symes.

To be clear, not making a choice IS a choice... He could have chosen Symes.

Quote:
I like Hudnut, switching sides is not a problem for me.

The ward leader/switching sides narrative is overplayed. Jacob was never really influential within the Fulop camp; he wanted more power but didn't really do anything to warrant it. He left in a huff when things weren't handed to him.

Posted on: 2017/10/10 21:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

HarperL504 wrote:
Can we stop pretending that Dixon is the only RE company that?s contributing to the unaffordability of Jersey City?

That was a bizarre assertion by Beachguy. I don't think anyone actually believes they are solely responsible for the DTJC gentrification or run-up in RE valuations. And, if someone believes that, well... they just don't know what they are talking about.

Posted on: 2017/10/10 16:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/1/3 19:14
From Chilltown
Group:
Registered Users
That's a pretty astute and solid summary of what's happening. Ward E should be independent as should the council. That's the ideal outcome.

Posted on: 2017/10/10 11:35

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/12 3:48
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Grillo very much represents pre-Fulop JC and it would have been unimaginable had Fulop run with a Grillo-type.
Symes is much more what you'd expect from Fulop and he has bent over backwards to lay the ground for her.
Fulop is shitting his pants at the thought of losing ward E and needs a rubber stamp to replace Candice. He has to support the candidate who has the best chance of winning.

Post-election Fulop alienated a lot of the grassroots supporters he had downtown, burning a lot of goodwill in his quest for the governorship. As you point out yourself, his former Ward leader switched sides.
No genuine progressive will now touch Fulop with a ten foot pole so he is stuck with an old Healy archetype and Dem Machine/Real Estate drone Symes.

I like Hudnut, switching sides is not a problem for me.
Solomon seemed earnest enough when I met him but I find it odd you call him an entitled rich kid given the patronage Symes receives or the fact that she paid mommy blogger Chickpea to endorse her.

Ultimately I don't think Fulop has the slightest chance of losing. The best anyone who opposes him can hope for is a majority independent council to keep him in check while he runs for higher office.

Posted on: 2017/10/10 9:26

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/3 4:45
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Can we stop pretending that Dixon is the only RE company that?s contributing to the unaffordability of Jersey City? I get it, some of you aren?t fans of Rebecca, but don?t pretend her former employer is the real reason you don?t like her...What about any number of actual DEVELOPERS that are building hundreds of LUXURY apartments and getting taxpayer relief to do it?

Steven Fulop?s pick in this election is really Grillo, who wants to pretend he?s anti development just to get elected. Or What about Steven Fulop?s former ward leader turning sides? Or does Ward E really want some over-entitled rich kid who has his family bankrolling his campaign (Solomon)?

Posted on: 2017/10/10 1:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Beachguy wrote:
Dixon drove the market up, for sure downtown.

This is patently false. They jumped into an already hot market because they recognized all the signs were there for continued appreciation/gains. They have only been a player in JC for the past five years. If you think the JC market has only been moving up for the past five years, you are way off.

The rest of your post was pure conjecture.

Posted on: 2017/10/10 1:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/10 14:36
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Dixon drove the market up, for sure downtown. But they're going to suffocate under the weight of their overhead and the number of their investors. They're taking 2 or 3 years to renovate their properties that sit vacant until they can get to them. They don't even buy downtown anymore and are scratching for distressed JSQ properties. Just saying.

Posted on: 2017/10/10 0:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

JPhurst wrote:
If you consider working with the mayor to be either an asset or a disqualifier, then the two can be distinguished on that fact alone.

If all things are equal, I would vote for the independent rather than Mayor's slate. Fulop needs to be challenged rather than rubber stamped when he wants to follow his worst impulses. That's what a city council is supposed to do, and far too often ours does not.

I fear the syncing of ALL the council elections with the mayoral election does not serve us well. Hoboken, having offset elections, for better and worse ends up with a far less compliant council.

Posted on: 2017/10/10 0:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
It is not a conflict of interest under law, but I understand Robin's concerns. I think this is a good example of the revolving door between government and lobbyists representing commercial interests looking for favorable advantage from government.

Robin is correct, she is/was a top executive and general counsel for a real estate company that renovates and rents at top of the market rents that some might say has contributed to the hyper gentrification we are experiencing, not only in downtown, but also elsewhere in the city. See this surprising (to me) listing in the Heights for $4,155 per month - https://jerseydigs.com/jersey-city-hei ... 4-bowers-street-for-rent/

If she says that she has severed her ties to her employer, note that I believe she still resides in one of their properties.

The business for which she headed the legal department contributed $300k to the mayor's PAC (more than anyone but Carepoint), and also was a major beneficiary of a highly unusual taxpayer funded tax appeal by the city, that was fortunately rejected by the county.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... are_they_connected_1.html

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... sessments_homeowners.html

Her political activities in Jersey City involved managing the school board candidacy of another employee of a local real estate company who had a controversial tenure and resigned due to personal reasons after only a year. Much of her community activities could be seen as an extension of her job.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... ard_member_resigning.html

Clearly, she is a skilled professional, but so are some of the other Ward E candidates and real estate interests already have an oversized influence over our government. Should they have more?

If one finds what I have written an attack on the candidate or wrong, I can be ignored or corrected.

Posted on: 2017/10/9 23:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/12 20:58
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Why don't you tell us why you think she's conflicted? And what are the approved positions for running for public office?

Posted on: 2017/9/25 11:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
JP,

You don't feel that Rebecca Symes being chief council for Dixon Leasing, a major property investor and developer in Jersey City, represents a conflict of interest in running for councilperson?

Do you feel that her severing her formal relationship with Dixon Leasing resolves any conflict of interest that may have existed?

Robin.

Posted on: 2017/9/25 1:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Thank you, JP.

Posted on: 2017/9/21 20:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
I consider both James and Rebecca friends.

They both came through the same organization, the New Leaders Council.

They both put in their time working for political figures. Rebecca worked for Gillibrand. James worked for Menino.

Both were involved in Democratic party politics here locally the past couple of years. Rebecca worked closer with the mayor's administration. James worked on the Clinton campaign.

Because of this last issue, Rebecca is considered more of a supporter of the mayor and James is considered more independent.

If you consider working with the mayor to be either an asset or a disqualifier, then the two can be distinguished on that fact alone. Certainly, the mayor's race takes center stage and many people consider any other race through the lens of their opinion of Fulop alone. But otherwise, with respect to background, James and Rebecca are the two most similar candidates, although each has their own views on issues and their own set of skills. So generally, when I see someone talking up one and trash talking the other, it's a good indication that it is a proxy for their views of the mayor.

Posted on: 2017/9/21 17:55

Re: Warning: potential libelous accusations against Rebecca Sysmes
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/3 18:37
From DTJC
Group:
Banned
Quote:

jc_dweller wrote:
Quote:

Frinjc wrote:
I would then suggest to the Admin to change the thread title to the above. I have nothing against Rebecca Sysmes, though I would prefer voting for someone not associated with the RE industry or the old guard. James Solomon is my favorite at this point as fresh eye, active listener, with planning experience though I will give her another look based on this information.

+1

Re: Solomon, please provide info on his planning experience. He has background in policy but not planning, best as I can tell, and in fact some of his platform is rather contrary to what would be considered traditionally "good planning." Open to the info you may have on his background.

+1 for "contrary to what would be good planning." I've researched him, he just sounds like a very vocal NIMBY.

Posted on: 2017/9/21 14:27

Re: Warning: potential libelous accusations against Rebecca Sysmes
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/8 3:24
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Frinjc wrote:
I would then suggest to the Admin to change the thread title to the above. I have nothing against Rebecca Sysmes, though I would prefer voting for someone not associated with the RE industry or the old guard. James Solomon is my favorite at this point as fresh eye, active listener, with planning experience though I will give her another look based on this information.

+1

Re: Solomon, please provide info on his planning experience. He has background in policy but not planning, best as I can tell, and in fact some of his platform is rather contrary to what would be considered traditionally "good planning." Open to the info you may have on his background.

Posted on: 2017/9/21 14:23

Warning: potential libelous accusations against Rebecca Sysmes
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/4 21:55
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2017/9/20 23:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

K-Lo2 wrote:
So far, everything alleged has been shown to be within the law. If you don't like the law, fix it. Second, Dixon Leasing does beautiful work. They don't cut old houses up into little apartments, but restore them to their former glory. I like that.

This whole thread is just a smear.

100% agreed.

It is obvious that Robin has some sort of vendetta against Rebecca Symes and/or Dixon Leasing. Personally, I am neither for, or against, her, but this thread is definitely slanderous, full of innuendo and nothing concrete to show malfeasance.

So far, this is what we know: an attorney that resides in Harsimus Cove and successfully ran for their NA board happens to be employed by a private company that does lots of work locally. What is nefarious about that? And, now she has decided to run for City Council to represent her ward. How is that corruption?

BTW, she resigned her position with Dixon Leasing.

Posted on: 2017/9/20 12:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
So far, everything alleged has been shown to be within the law. If you don't like the law, fix it. Second, Dixon Leasing does beautiful work. They don't cut old houses up into little apartments, but restore them to their former glory. I like that.

This whole thread is just a smear.

Posted on: 2017/9/20 11:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tern wrote:
And now this Rebecca Symes Dixon Leasing lady is running for Ward E councilperson!

How does corrupt stuff like this continue to happen in Jersey City?

Robin.

What is corrupt about a DTJC resident declaring a candidacy for the Ward E City Council seat?

Posted on: 2017/9/20 10:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
And now this Rebecca Symes Dixon Leasing lady is running for Ward E councilperson!

How does corrupt stuff like this continue to happen in Jersey City?

Robin.

Posted on: 2017/9/20 3:17

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/28 13:42
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

terrencemcd wrote:
Quote:

ecoindie wrote:
I just looked up the Dixon Advisory on opensecrets.org under donors...

Money to SuperPAC/Outside Group DIXON ADVISORY
JERSEY CITY, NJ 07303 05-28-2016 $100,000.00 Coalition For Progress
JERSEY CITY, NJ 07303 08-27-2015 $200,000.00 Coalition For Progress

Coalition For Progress is Fulop Super Pac...

Dixon gave more to that PAC than anyone but the CarePoint guy

Fulop and super PAC -- how are they connected?

looks like you blew another newsworthy story, while busy twitting singing dogs.

Posted on: 2017/4/24 21:40

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/14 15:55
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Frinjc wrote:
You mean that the tax would skyrocket AFTER the abatement expires right? If this is the case then Dixon banked on the delayed reval to keep taxes low for a while but it should not prevent their properties from being reassessed and them paying a higher rate right post-reval. They could refuse to have their properties visited and argue out of partial renovation paperwork (if they did so) but I am sure it would backfire considering they have rented many of them and people know what's inside. The goal for Dixon as part of the HCA maybe to cool people down post-reval and get as much info on people's properties to do the right appeals if they can. At this point my position on them has turned to neutral.

No, not after the 5yr abatement expires..... more like shortly after JC processes the paperwork that is filed in order to receive an abatement. If you apply for an abatement post renovation work, your property will be reassessed using recent comps. Your new tax bill will be based on this new assessment less any abatement they grant you. If you do any significant improvements, your new assessment (even with an abatement) will likely be much more than your old assessment so your taxes will go up prior to the abatement expiring. You will pay even more taxes after it expires.

Posted on: 2017/4/21 3:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/5/7 3:26
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mfadam wrote:
How is anyone surprised by this? It's the story of America, the bigger you get the more influence you buy.

Ultimately anyone will be able to look up Dixon properties and see if they are paying their fair share post-reval. They should be on the higher end anywhere since they do above average renovations.

They may be able to kick the can on taxes, but I really don't see how they can dodge the Reval... If they do dodge it, then show up at City Hall with pitchforks...

They're not dogging anything. Just some disgruntled city hall employee or political operative trying to slander.

First it was Dixon applying for an abatement to shield from the reval, per the original post. When pointed out it's perfectly legal and automatic for a major rehab to receive an abatement, the story changed and suggest Dixon is NOT applying for the automatic abatement so it can keep its assessment low... until the reval. Lol

Home rule leads to all sorts of shady things. Tax assessment shouod be done on the county level with a rolling reval at least every five years.

Posted on: 2017/4/20 13:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/8 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
How is anyone surprised by this? It's the story of America, the bigger you get the more influence you buy.

Ultimately anyone will be able to look up Dixon properties and see if they are paying their fair share post-reval. They should be on the higher end anywhere since they do above average renovations.

They may be able to kick the can on taxes, but I really don't see how they can dodge the Reval... If they do dodge it, then show up at City Hall with pitchforks...

Posted on: 2017/4/20 13:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/2/6 21:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ecoindie wrote:

Dixon gave more to that PAC than anyone but the CarePoint guy

Fulop and super PAC -- how are they connected?

Posted on: 2017/4/20 12:11

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/1/25 20:14
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2017/4/20 11:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
this thread is shot to shit with all the personalization and anonymous slandering, but I have always wondered what was behind this -

$1.4M on the line in Jersey City tax appeal case

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... sessments_homeowners.html

Posted on: 2017/4/20 0:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/4 21:55
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
You mean that the tax would skyrocket AFTER the abatement expires right? If this is the case then Dixon banked on the delayed reval to keep taxes low for a while but it should not prevent their properties from being reassessed and them paying a higher rate right post-reval. They could refuse to have their properties visited and argue out of partial renovation paperwork (if they did so) but I am sure it would backfire considering they have rented many of them and people know what's inside. The goal for Dixon as part of the HCA maybe to cool people down post-reval and get as much info on people's properties to do the right appeals if they can. At this point my position on them has turned to neutral.

Posted on: 2017/4/20 0:14

« 1 (2) 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017