Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
111 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 111

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Water damaged wall and ceiling
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/4/5 1:44
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
If your insurer isn't paying it should have no discernible impact on your premium. You can always ask underwriting in advance.

Posted on: 2017/3/27 15:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/9 22:13
Group:
Registered Users
Makes sense - I'll do that. Thank you!

Just wondering: is there a downside to notifying my own insurer and it ended up not doing anything (i.e. the unit above ends up paying for everything)?

Does it put a "dent" on my insurance record (like car insurance)?

Quote:

Dinger wrote:
Not sure how bad the damage is. You should give notice to your insurer. Unless you know for sure the cause of the leak or what's covered I'd err on the side of reporting to the condo's liability insurer. Generally, you job right now is to make sure you give notice directly to the insurers. Let them tell you their policies don't cover. Not your job to figure it out right now.

Posted on: 2017/3/26 20:16

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Not sure how bad the damage is. You should give notice to your insurer. Unless you know for sure the cause of the leak or what's covered I'd err on the side of reporting to the condo's liability insurer. Generally, you job right now is to make sure you give notice directly to the insurers. Let them tell you their policies don't cover. Not your job to figure it out right now.

Posted on: 2017/3/25 12:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Is the "management company's insurer" the condo association's insurer? Sorry, never done this before, so not sure who's who.

Also, should I also notify my own insurance co? If the owner of the leak or his insurance company doesn't come through and cover everything, wouldn't I go through my own insurance co. to chase them?

Not clear why the condo assoc's insurance would come in - as I thought they cover "common elements" only?

thanks for any clarification!!!

Posted on: 2017/3/25 12:24

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
They'll send a field adjuster over to prepare an estimate and investigate issues concerning coverage. Just show him the damage. You really ought to put the management company's liability insurer on notice just in case. If it was a back-up as you state they will probably deny coverage as that type of loss typically isn't covered without an extra endorsement.

Posted on: 2017/3/24 23:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Ok - now management is telling me the owner with the leak has involved his insurance company, and therefore an agent will be coming out to inspect the damages.

Has anyone dealt with insurance agents on such matters before?

Any advice on how to deal with them? What to watch out for?

This is SOOOOOOOO stressful!!!!!!

Posted on: 2017/3/24 22:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SRhia wrote:
Started in 4th flr and went down all the way to 1st - not sure if a toilet can overflow that much!?!?!?),

No commenting on anything else about the situation (follow your instincts, I suppose) but you might be surprised at how much water ANYTHING can leak and overflow if left unchecked. In our building, someone left a faucet running, and then went off to work, and that faucet ran all day, and there was water damage three floors down, with the apartment directly below essentially trashed completely and requiring a complete teardown of cabinets and floors.

In my previous building, I ended up with the short end of the stick of a flooding situation: my neighbors' fridge water line came undone, and it ended up resting against the shared wall. That tiny little line, ended up flooding my place TWICE. The first time, they replaced the floors in my unit and since they couldn't find the source of the leak, they assumed it was a one-off and re-laid down the floor, only to have to rip it out again a few days later when it became apparent the leak was still going. So, word of advice: do keep an eye on the ceiling and walls. If you see signs of flooding after they repaint/fix the current issue, definitely get on the management company's ass about it.

Posted on: 2017/3/24 19:10

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
The first thing you should do is get a copy of the building's certificate of insurance and report the claim to their liability insurer. The rest will tend to take care of itself. Ignore their "contractor." Put the carrier on notice.

Posted on: 2017/3/24 14:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
OK - so the management company sent over a contractor to look at the damage. He claims that it's what they call a "flash flood/leak", and there's no ongoing humidity, and therefore they don't expect any mold. he recommends just doing a paint-over with stain remover/primer/paint.

I'm not sure if I can believe him!?!?!?!

The management co. also told me that it was a toilet overflow (it was a lot of water!!! Started in 4th flr and went down all the way to 1st - not sure if a toilet can overflow that much!?!?!?), so it's a one-off and not an ongoing issue.

There's no window in the bathroom, but there's an exhaust fan that pipes to the outside.

Posted on: 2017/3/24 14:00

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/16 13:54
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Just want to add...please make sure your bathroom fan vents out either to your roof or outdoors. Do you have a bathroom window?

Posted on: 2017/3/23 2:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/14 20:15
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users
yeah worry about making it look nice after you're sure it's completely dried and the water issue in the unit above is solved.

Posted on: 2017/3/23 1:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
You should use an oil based stain killing primer that stops any bleed through. Brands such as Zinsser Stain Killer primer or Kilz. Make sure you primer the whole surface not just a spot prime or after you paint the top coat you will see where you've primed.

Posted on: 2017/3/23 0:04
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
@Jerseymom - thanks for the recommendation.

@jc2000 - thanks for the mention, but it was definitely a water leak. There was a pool of water in the bathroom when I discovered the problem. There are extensive water stains all over the ceiling and walls.

Posted on: 2017/3/22 23:21

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/16 10:24
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Hello,

One of the reasons you might have water stain marks above the exhaust fan is because your exhaust fan might not be powerful enough to vent the steam outside. When this happens, the steam from the shower condensates when it meets the cold air outside (assuming your vent is ok and it is in fact venting outside) forming drops of water. The only way for this water to get out is through the exhaust fan. Over time, you start seeing stain marks over the exhaust fan. My advice is check the CFM rating of the existing exhaust and see if it is venting correctly.

I hope this helps.

Posted on: 2017/3/22 22:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
You need to get a water remediation team in immediately to properly assess and dry out the affected areas. Mold begins to grow due to moisture right away and just painting over the area doesn't take care of the issue. Call Servpro - 51 Fairmount Ave, Jersey City, NJ 07304 -Phone: (201) 656-0035. Your/tenant above's insurance should cover costs. Good luck.

Quote:

SRhia wrote:
I have a quick question for the pros here - I have water damaged ceiling and walls in an apartment due to a leak from the unit above.

To repair those ceiling and walls, can one just "paint over" the stained areas?

Or is the proper way to remove the existing stained ceiling and wall parts, put on new drywall, then paint?

Also, the exhaust fan area was heavily stained (and I could tell that that's where a lot of the water dripped down, since the toilet below it is completely splattered, and the waste basket is half full with water). Should the exhaust fan be replaced due to potential water damage, and for safety measure?

Please help - and thanks!

Posted on: 2017/3/22 21:11

Water damaged wall and ceiling
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I have a quick question for the pros here - I have water damaged ceiling and walls in an apartment due to a leak from the unit above.

To repair those ceiling and walls, can one just "paint over" the stained areas?

Or is the proper way to remove the existing stained ceiling and wall parts, put on new drywall, then paint?

Also, the exhaust fan area was heavily stained (and I could tell that that's where a lot of the water dripped down, since the toilet below it is completely splattered, and the waste basket is half full with water). Should the exhaust fan be replaced due to potential water damage, and for safety measure?

Please help - and thanks!

Posted on: 2017/3/22 21:03

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017