Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
92 user(s) are online (76 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 92

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Stop Sale of Public Land to Developers, Promote a Green City
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

JPhurst wrote:
Except when they don't, like in the case of SciTechSCity, in which case opponents will say "You should just sell it to the highest bidder and give taxpayers relief!" (Not saying you fall into this category).

Not I. I think much of that is just using any excuse to harass Fulop. I tire of the cries of "high taxes" too, our tax rate is perfectly average for our area.

Posted on: 2017/3/21 2:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
It's really simple. Until we pass a law excluding funds from the sale of city assets from being used in the general budget, there will be an incentive to sell city assets to balance the budgets and make the current administration look good. This has been going on for decades.

Some years ago the Parking Authority was running in the red and sold a parking lot to balance it's budget. It's like the milkman selling his cow, right?

Except when they don't, like in the case of SciTechSCity, in which case opponents will say "You should just sell it to the highest bidder and give taxpayers relief!" (Not saying you fall into this category).

Posted on: 2017/3/21 2:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Why would this be a bad idea? 5 stories - and 30 units - is relatively small scale, not overly-large relative to the scale of the apartment buildings on Summit Avenue, and the industrial buildings down the hill. Historically, the corner lot had a building on it http://mapmaker.rutgers.edu/HUDSON_CO ... Bayonne_9_plt17/index.htm

While personally, as a middle-aged, relatively sedate person, I appreciate "vest-pocket" parks for passive enjoyment, I'm not sure they bring the level of amenity to every neighborhood. Could there be a playground incorporated, to accommodate some, if not all of the neighbors? Better to control all the private parking which destroys planted front yards and street trees in front of rowhouses.

Posted on: 2017/3/20 20:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Some years ago the Parking Authority was running in the red and sold a parking lot to balance it's budget. It's like the milkman selling his cow, right?

You, sir, have an awesome knack for coming up with clever analogies that clearly illustrate points.

Posted on: 2017/3/20 19:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
It's really simple. Until we pass a law excluding funds from the sale of city assets from being used in the general budget, there will be an incentive to sell city assets to balance the budgets and make the current administration look good. This has been going on for decades.

Posted on: 2017/3/20 16:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
The problem is that a GoFundMe shouldn't be necessary. "We" already own the land as the public. We shouldn't have to buy it from ourselves to prevent the city from selling everything to rich developers.

Posted on: 2017/3/20 16:29

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/5/17 15:38
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
(A) It is not my petition. Just posting it to spread the word.

(B) Regardless of funds, there is no option to buy it, it is not going to auction. The city is selling it directly to the developer.

Posted on: 2017/3/20 16:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/5/7 3:26
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bricks wrote:
A petition was just launched on Change.org opposing the city selling a wooded lot to a developer who will clear out the trees and build apartments. The city lacks green space and this is being done without the land going to public auction. This same developer already cleared out all of the trees at a lot just down the street from this, and over a year and a half later, that lot just sits blighted and overgrown with weeds.

Please sign the petition if you oppose this.

https://www.change.org/p/rolando-r-lav ... a-green-city-for-our-kids

Instead of a usless change.org petition, why don't you open a GoFundMe account to purchase the land and keep the trees.

I want to voice my support and sale and development of this lot. I'm going to email Lavarro now.

Posted on: 2017/3/20 16:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/4 19:30
Group:
Registered Users
Happening everywhere - especially "soho" south of Hoboken - between 14 Street and Hoboken - those tall ugly towers across from Holland Gardens - no green space whatsoever - parking looks like a mess - very poor planning -

Posted on: 2017/3/20 16:07

Stop Sale of Public Land to Developers, Promote a Green City
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/5/17 15:38
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
A petition was just launched on Change.org opposing the city selling a wooded lot to a developer who will clear out the trees and build apartments. The city lacks green space and this is being done without the land going to public auction. This same developer already cleared out all of the trees at a lot just down the street from this, and over a year and a half later, that lot just sits blighted and overgrown with weeds.

Please sign the petition if you oppose this.

https://www.change.org/p/rolando-r-lav ... a-green-city-for-our-kids

Posted on: 2017/3/20 14:25

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017