Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
122 user(s) are online (112 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 122

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Buying to live in Bergen-Lafayette a good idea?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Hey look! Here's another thread about an area with people commenting on it without knowing a damn thing.

Considering that houses in BeLa have Sotheby's signs out front, I'd say gentrification has already come...

Sotheby's the auction house sold off their name years ago re:real estate . . . the nice blue signs have nothing to do with the auction house these days.

No houses for auction...

huh?

Monroe was just saying that Sotheby's (normally referred to as as an "auction house") is in no way associated with the real estate operation that uses the same name. But, many people make the association and assume that it is one and the same, which leads to other assumptions.

And Monroe is making the assumption that these houses for sale are not associated with the real estate operation. It's a false assumption.

I think you completely misinterpreted his post, and my explanation didn't help you at all.

Posted on: 2017/3/22 19:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Pebble, my point was that a Sotheby's sign in BeLa isn't a sign that the area is becoming upscale, as it has zero to do with the original Sotheby's luxury real estate company. It might as well be a Weichert sign-the Taubman group (which owned large parcels of real estate, including the Mall at Short Hills) sold off the name many years ago. When Sotheby's realty group was created it did deal in ultra high end homes, that's simply not the case now.

Posted on: 2017/3/22 18:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Hey look! Here's another thread about an area with people commenting on it without knowing a damn thing.

Considering that houses in BeLa have Sotheby's signs out front, I'd say gentrification has already come...

Sotheby's the auction house sold off their name years ago re:real estate . . . the nice blue signs have nothing to do with the auction house these days.

No houses for auction...

huh?

Monroe was just saying that Sotheby's (normally referred to as as an "auction house") is in no way associated with the real estate operation that uses the same name. But, many people make the association and assume that it is one and the same, which leads to other assumptions.

And Monroe is making the assumption that these houses for sale are not associated with the real estate operation. It's a false assumption.

Posted on: 2017/3/22 17:15
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

Pebble wrote:

No houses for auction...

huh?

Posted on: 2017/3/21 17:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

Pebble wrote:

No houses for auction...

Posted on: 2017/3/21 11:34
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Pebble wrote:

Posted on: 2017/3/20 22:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/26 19:42
From Chilltown, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Even though it's in the same area I personally always liked the area North of Bramhall where Madison, Clinton and Baby Monticello make the little loop around. Those blocks always felt like they were cut off from the surrounding drama near by.

Posted on: 2017/3/20 21:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2017/3/20 21:13
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/1 14:07
From Earth
Group:
Registered Users
Yes--correct, and there's a reason for both of your statements. It's just that nice in that section of the city. Also--though few in number--there are some multi family buildings where one could acclimate themselves to JC living while searching for a permanent residence. Are apartments available?--that too may be iffy.

Gentrification will come to the area being inquired of, but it will be a long and painful wait for its arrival.

If you want to get adventurous go to upper Grand Street and await the changes there -- it'll happen there, but the same warnings apply.

Posted on: 2017/3/20 13:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

RichMauro wrote:
Go to the section known as the Island off of Journal Square. It's pleasant and quiet and you'll be quite happy there.

I see only two houses for sale, and both are waaaaay over what you'd have to pay in the part of BeLa that the OP is writing about.

Posted on: 2017/3/18 13:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/1 14:07
From Earth
Group:
Registered Users
Go to the section known as the Island off of Journal Square. It's pleasant and quiet and you'll be quite happy there.

Posted on: 2017/3/18 13:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/22 2:50
Group:
Registered Users
Why not try Bayonne. It is much safer and would have the same commute.

Posted on: 2017/3/18 11:38

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/15 6:51
From Bergen Lafayette
Group:
Registered Users
Bela in general, yes. I bought here and love it. Like in any area, you have to look specifically at the block you'd be living in, and the blocks you'd walk for your commute. The advice on walking around at different times is spot on.

Posted on: 2017/3/18 5:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/5/7 3:26
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Not saying ole Harry here isn't B-L born-n-raised, but it's kinda funny how many people want to slam the door closed after they move in. From our Gold Coast to the Pacific Northwest, people move somewhere and then get all up at the other people who are coming and "ruining it".

Hypocrites.

Plus I never understood the argument from the anti-gentrifies. By somehow keeping people and investment out on certain areas for fear it may become unaffordable, almost calling for a reverse redlining policy or that it's better to keep a community cheap and ghetto instead of seeking to improve it too much for it will attract the hipster crowd.

The only way to keep things affordable is to ensure there is ample supply to keep up with demand. Jersey City does a pretty good job at this actually.

Posted on: 2017/3/18 3:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/10 13:10
From Downtown JC, VVP Area
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Not saying ole Harry here isn't B-L born-n-raised, but it's kinda funny how many people want to slam the door closed after they move in. From our Gold Coast to the Pacific Northwest, people move somewhere and then get all up at the other people who are coming and "ruining it".

Mostly agree but it's a matter of timing and perspective. Those of us who bought and moved here 30 years ago were in a rough town and we welcomed other newcomers and we worked together to help improve the neighborhood and the schools and responsible government. Some of us stayed, some left for the suburbs or beyond.

So how long you been in JC, Harry? I'd bet less than 10 years. For a Newbie on this Forum, I thought your comment was obnoxious.

My ancestors arrived on The Mayflower in 1620, so I'm 12th-generation here . The Native American Indians might be the only ones who could legitimately say that we "came and ruined it".

Posted on: 2017/3/18 0:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2017/3/17 22:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/1 0:23
From the village
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

harry526 wrote:
We don't want you there so please don't bother. Nothing worse than gentrification pioneers and their pioneering attitudes. We don't want you or need you and NO it is not better just because you are there.

Shouldn't your hostility be directed at the person selling/developing their property instead of the person buying it? I understand the frustration of housing costs rising but I really don't understand blaming the people moving in when it's the people selling who are setting the price point and trying to make money?

Posted on: 2017/3/17 20:50

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/3/18 20:34
Group:
Registered Users
We don't want you there so please don't bother. Nothing worse than gentrification pioneers and their pioneering attitudes. We don't want you or need you and NO it is not better just because you are there.

Posted on: 2017/3/17 18:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/26 19:42
From Chilltown, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
I would keep looking. You would be one block from the section 8 buildings on Lexington/Bergen and a couple blocks from the Salem Lafayette housing complex on MLK. Both are two of the worst locations for drugs, gangs and shootings in the city.

Posted on: 2017/3/14 22:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/30 19:03
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Simple question with a simple answer: no, it is not a good idea.

Posted on: 2017/3/14 21:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/8 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
Go drive around after 11PM and get a feel. Better to do on warmer days as that's when the hooligans are out. See how comfortable you feel.

I'd also go walk the neighborhood and ask people what their living experience has been. See if there are any neighborhood groups. Better yet, ask a police officer what his take is on the area.

I had to do grand jury duty a few years back and we heard 10-20 cases a day. It didn't take long to get a sense of where most of the crime was taking place. You heard the same street names over and over.

Posted on: 2017/3/14 20:14

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/6/4 2:52
From downtown
Group:
Registered Users
We did walk down Bramhall Ave. and saw Arlington Park and neighboring areas. It didn't have all the tell tail signs of a dangerous area. Online the info seems to tell a different story. Just thought it may be worth to hear from the people that actually live there.

Posted on: 2017/3/14 19:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
I won't say you're nuts, but it depends on how tolerant you are of real inner city living. I moved to DT 20 years ago and it was NOTHING like that area, you'd have to go back to the late 70's. This is the area where most of the shootings in JC happen. There's a map linked somewhere here.

There's a real reason it's cheap. But some people are gentrification pioneers, the people who moved DT in the 70's and bought townhouses around needle strewn parks on credit cards. Are you one of those? Are you sure you can't afford west of Kennedy or JSQ or The Heights?

Have you spend considerable time walking around in the area? Seen who's hanging around all day and who's going and coming from work? That's the best way to gauge your comfort IMO.

Posted on: 2017/3/14 16:44

Hide User information
Last Login :
From downtown
Group:
Registered Users
West of Garfield near Sackett Street.

Posted on: 2017/3/14 16:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
West or east of Garfield?

Posted on: 2017/3/14 16:02

Buying to live in Bergen-Lafayette a good idea?

Hide User information
Last Login :
From downtown
Group:
Registered Users
We are looking to buy a condo off of Bramhall Ave. The area looks like what downtown JC used to look like but it is still considered a rough neighborhood according to online databases. Does anyone that lives or lived there have any recommendations on whether is it a good or bad place to own a place?

Posted on: 2017/3/14 14:34

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017