Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
106 user(s) are online (96 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 106

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Moving Cross Country to Jersey City - Need Advice
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/22 22:59
Group:
Registered Users
You don't really need a broker but suggest to take a visit if you are able to and look around town. JC is pretty big and the 1k rent you are seeing seems kind of low placing you at the outskirts of the city which you will definitely need a car to commute from back and forth. If not the waterfront/ downtown area you'll need to look for places closest to the light rail or path stations to be able to get around without a car.

Posted on: 2017/3/9 2:27

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/16 13:54
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
I agree, something like this would be great for you. Give yourself a chance to learn the lay of the land, meet people, get your feet wet without making a full commitment right off the bat.
Don't let us scare you either, we all love it here and think this is the greatest place on earth...it's just very different from the midwest or any place else.
We all have war stories to tell on getting our first living situation set up, many people couch surfed, did a sublet, roommate/student/corporate living.
There is no yes or no answer as to paying a realtor, it depends on what you find. Inventory is low and demand is high. The other poster is right, utilize both in your searches.

https://www.sublet.com/spider/supplydetails.asp?supplyid=2890840

Posted on: 2017/3/7 18:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/12 15:20
From Downtown Ex Pat happy in McGinley Sq.
Group:
Registered Users
HotPads is another good app

Posted on: 2017/3/7 16:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/8 3:24
Group:
Registered Users
It sounds like you're going to need to sublet. With no proof of income in NJ (even income tax from prior years might not be a good enough sell since you're moving to a new area), limited (by local standards) savings, and no evidence of clients signing on, I don't know that you'd be approved.

Rather, sublet (since you say you don't have much "stuff" it should not be an issue) and work out of a coworking space so that your roommate doesn't have you sitting at home all day. There you network both professionally and in terms of housing info. And, fyi, in the NYC area, it's not unheard of for full grown adults do have roommates. It's not for everyone (myself included) but it's not just for college kids the way it is in the rest of the country.

Also it sounds like you need to explore the area a bit to find what neighborhood suits you. For example, Hamilton Park and Paulus Hook are two wildly different downtown neighborhoods. If you are finding something for under $1G /month, you might be in for a shock re: what type of neighborhood it is in. That might be a non-issue for you but just be aware.

You also might have better luck finding lower priced housing in Lafayette (closer to downtown) or Journal Square (PATH access).

Posted on: 2017/3/7 16:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/23 15:07
From Between Thought and Expression
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

akk4zd wrote:
So do I need to use a broker or no?

Use both, but Craigslist is best. Many landlords that actively manage their rentals use Craigslist.

Posted on: 2017/3/7 15:47

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
If you've found a ton of places that you know that you would like for around 1G, why not go for that? If the listing says there is a realtor fee and you know you like it, go for it!

NYC/NJ has numerous self employed individuals (I'm one) one thing that I did that made a difference before I moved here was set up an account with a local credit union, the landlord loved that.

Have you thought about a sublet? I agree with the other poster, to find something that already exists is better. Honestly, it doesn't sound like you have a long term solid credit history, not what east coast landlords want at least. To just show up and say "hey look, I've got 20G in my account that hasn't been there long term, I'm self employed and don't know how long it's going to take to sign on new clients and I want a place at least 500sq feet in a safe neighborhood with quick access to the city" is going to be a tough sell.

A 6 month sublet or something like that (which is also what I did at first) would give you so much flexibility and take the heat off. A roommate situation could work, but honestly, most people don't want a roommate who works from home. Give it some thought, good luck!

Posted on: 2017/3/7 15:04

Edited by Haggis on 2017/3/7 15:26:49

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/3/8 12:59
From St. Louis
Group:
Registered Users
So do I need to use a broker or no?

Posted on: 2017/3/7 13:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Actually, I have had friends and acquaintances from overseas, lacking a credit history in the US, who have done exactly what you suggest: they paid their rent in advance for several months. One couple rented a place in BK for six months (he was here on a temporary work visa, while she would come and go for weeks at a time) and they just pooled their money and pre-paid for six months. It sucks to put up so much money all at once, but it should assuage the fears/concerns of even the most picky landlord.

Posted on: 2017/3/7 13:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Starting your own company here is a tough one. Landlords or management companies will want proof of employment and will also pull a credit check with rental & criminal history. Your best bet would be to move in to an existing situation -- do you know anyone here? If not - find someone looking for a roommate - at least until you get settled here. BTW in NJ -- I don't think you can't pay rent in advance.

Posted on: 2017/3/7 0:32

Hide User information
Last Login :
From St. Louis
Group:
Registered Users
My point is that I'm self employed - I don't write myself paychecks.

I don't currently have $20K in my bank account... my goal was to save it to show that I had enough money to pay for 6 months rent (or more) in lieu of having to produce a pay stub.

I guess my other option is to save enough money to pay for 6 months rent in advance.

Posted on: 2017/3/6 23:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

akk4zd wrote:
I've been searching several different websites for the last few weeks and have actually found a handful of places under $1000 a month that seem perfect, and have actually been surprised that all of them have had a dishwasher (that's unheard of here), and a lot of them have had basement washer/dryer, and are relatively newly renovated.

I haven't had a landlord in 10 years - I'm getting divorced and we've always owned our house. Prior to that, the last place I lived was a 420 sq ft basement studio in the Central West End. Car jackings aside, it was a great space. Crime-wise, I guess I shouldn't be too worried. You guys have nothing on STL. lol

Anyway - I don't know what to do about all of the rent requirements other than show them a bank statement with $20K+ in it. It is what it is.

I guess my biggest question was whether or not it was worth it to spend the money on a broker.

Quote:

suzychapstick wrote:
You can absolutely get a studio (or even 1 bedroom) for $1600 downtown in Jersey City. Just check zillow and use 07302. You can sure as heck spend MUCH more on a studeio, but it's not impossible. Prices will rise in the summer months like they do everywhere, but don't get scared off. I live in a gorgeous 1BR with hardwood floors, exposed brick, walk up in Paulus Hook for that much. There are places out there. Avoiding a broker fee is nice, but the real hit tends to be up front with the deposit.

Don't be put off by folks saying you'll be living in a tiny basement studio. (Unless, that's what you're wanting. )

Quote:

akk4zd wrote:
I'd be working from home most of the time but would need to occasionally attend networking events and client meetings in the city, so I would prefer fast access.

I'd be selling my car before I move.

If I chose a studio, I'd be happy with a minimum 500 square feet. I lived in one that size a few years back and loved it- only the necessities. I'm probably not going to have much stuff. I do have a queen sized bed that I'd like to keep.

I don't have a budget at the moment. I'm trying to determine that based on where I want to live. I don't want to pay ridiculous rent, but everything there is ridiculous compared to STL lol So I don't have a measuring stick for what's reasonable. I may be able to afford up to $1,600 a month by myself - maybe more. It's hard to say - it heavily depends on how quickly I am able to sign on clients (I'm a marketing consultant). I plan on saving enough money to get me by for at least 4 months before I move, so the more economical, the better, in terms of simply being prepared.

An apartment building would be cool, at least it would help me meet people, but I tend to prefer flats.

Sounds like you are doing your homework and yes a bank statement, SS #, and paycheck stub will be required. About your bank statement you did not have to reveal the part about the $20k+ for all (of us) to see...and know. ;)

Posted on: 2017/3/6 22:43
Get on your bikes and ride !

Hide User information
Last Login :
From St. Louis
Group:
Registered Users
I've been searching several different websites for the last few weeks and have actually found a handful of places under $1000 a month that seem perfect, and have actually been surprised that all of them have had a dishwasher (that's unheard of here), and a lot of them have had basement washer/dryer, and are relatively newly renovated.

I haven't had a landlord in 10 years - I'm getting divorced and we've always owned our house. Prior to that, the last place I lived was a 420 sq ft basement studio in the Central West End. Car jackings aside, it was a great space. Crime-wise, I guess I shouldn't be too worried. You guys have nothing on STL. lol

Anyway - I don't know what to do about all of the rent requirements other than show them a bank statement with $20K+ in it. It is what it is.

I guess my biggest question was whether or not it was worth it to spend the money on a broker.

Quote:

suzychapstick wrote:
You can absolutely get a studio (or even 1 bedroom) for $1600 downtown in Jersey City. Just check zillow and use 07302. You can sure as heck spend MUCH more on a studeio, but it's not impossible. Prices will rise in the summer months like they do everywhere, but don't get scared off. I live in a gorgeous 1BR with hardwood floors, exposed brick, walk up in Paulus Hook for that much. There are places out there. Avoiding a broker fee is nice, but the real hit tends to be up front with the deposit.

Don't be put off by folks saying you'll be living in a tiny basement studio. (Unless, that's what you're wanting. )

Quote:

akk4zd wrote:
I'd be working from home most of the time but would need to occasionally attend networking events and client meetings in the city, so I would prefer fast access.

If I chose a studio, I'd be happy with a minimum 500 square feet. I lived in one that size a few years back and loved it- only the necessities. I'm probably not going to have much stuff. I do have a queen sized bed that I'd like to keep.

I don't have a budget at the moment. I'm trying to determine that based on where I want to live. I don't want to pay ridiculous rent, but everything there is ridiculous compared to STL lol So I don't have a measuring stick for what's reasonable. I may be able to afford up to $1,600 a month by myself - maybe more. It's hard to say - it heavily depends on how quickly I am able to sign on clients (I'm a marketing consultant). I plan on saving enough money to get me by for at least 4 months before I move, so the more economical, the better, in terms of simply being prepared.

An apartment building would be cool, at least it would help me meet people, but I tend to prefer flats.

Posted on: 2017/3/6 16:15

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/8/3 20:43
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users

Quote:

akk4zd wrote:

Posted on: 2017/3/6 15:57

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Hi, I'm originally from the midwest too, have been on the east coast nearly 20 yrs.
1600 a month for a minimum of 500sq feet in a "safe neighborhood" without a realtor would mean a basement/attic apartment, if you can even find that in JC.
Trust me, I get it.
I recommend that you save at least 1800$++ and even make concessions at that. Maybe consider Weehawken? Or consider a smaller space?
Understand that it most likely will be a walk up, without an in-unit w/d, dishwasher, outdoor space, etc.
Honestly, moving a queen sized bed from STL will cost more than it's worth. If you look at the "Free" section of Craigslist, you'll quickly see people are literally giving away things like that every day (just take your steam iron to everything)
Many people without cars have a service like "Fresh Direct" for groceries, if applicable.
Have ALL your documentation at your finger tips including your last 2 years tax returns, letters from previous landlords, enough cash for first/last/realtor fee on hand, Bank Statements, Photo ID, Pay check stubs, etc and when you see a unit you like, JUMP! Do not hesitate, especially since you're moving in the height of the season.
Good luck!

Posted on: 2017/3/6 15:10

Hide User information
Last Login :
From St. Louis
Group:
Registered Users
You can have all the St. Louis pizza. Just throw some provelone and tomato sauce on a cracker, it's practically the same thing. (I'll be hoarding the toasted ravioli, though).

Posted on: 2017/3/6 13:49

Hide User information
Last Login :
From St. Louis
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2017/3/6 13:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tictaktoe wrote:
budget and how big?

..seems like fair questions

It's not about fair but logic, plus you are not negotiating so how else would you answer it ?

Posted on: 2017/3/5 22:29
Get on your bikes and ride !

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/10/4 13:18
Group:
Registered Users
budget and how big?

..seems like fair questions

Posted on: 2017/3/5 21:31

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/12/18 3:14
From Hamiliton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I've lived in Harsimus Cove and Hamilton Park. Loved both neighborhoods. Didn't use a broker for either. I used www.padmapper.com to search. Good luck!

Posted on: 2017/3/3 18:04

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/28 13:35
Group:
Registered Users
Also look into The Village area, which is DownTown as well & walking distance to grove St. PATH.

Posted on: 2017/3/3 17:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:11
From HamiltonPARK
Group:
Registered Users
http://www.armagnoagency.com/ArmagnoAgency/listings_rentals.asp

Try Armagno. I would recommend the Van Vorst, Hamilton Park and Harsimus Cove area all of which are downtown. There are also lots of apartments on the waterfront beyond Newport Mall but they tend to be overpriced and sometimes el cheapo construction. Journal Square is up the hill and further away from the waterfront and NYC but is one of the current flourishing areas with sometimes reasonable rents. The closer to the PATH train the better. A 10-15 minute walk to the train is a good yardstick. The Exchange Place area is also a good spot to look.

Posted on: 2017/3/3 16:30

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/7/23 2:25
Group:
Registered Users
This isn't enough info to offer sound information. Jersey city is rather large and the neighborhoods vary greatly. Basically....how much do you plan on spending on rent? Do you need/desire quick access to the city? How quick? Car?

Also, bring some of that St. Louis pizza with you.

Posted on: 2017/3/3 16:07

Moving Cross Country to Jersey City - Need Advice

Hide User information
Last Login :
From St. Louis
Group:
Registered Users
I'm planning to move to JC in the next 4-6 months from St. Louis, MO. It's going to be quite the culture shock, which I'm looking forward to, but finding an apartment appears to be a whole different experience.

Should I use a broker? Would I be able to successfully find an apartment without one?

I'd most likely be living alone, so a safe neighborhood is a high priority. Where should I look?

Last bit - I'm also self-employed. I know you have to prove your income, but I'm not sure how that works when you don't write yourself a paycheck every month.

Any tips on navigating this journey would be appreciated.

Posted on: 2017/3/3 13:18

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017