Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
126 user(s) are online (113 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 126

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: Does the HPNA represent the community?
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/16 3:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

5477speedial wrote:
Quote:

darenot wrote:
You are seriously complaining that someone has to actually join an organization to vote in it!!?

Maybe not, but I do find the timing of the complete overhauling of their bylaws extremely suspect.

Well, so do I, but so what? They apparently suspected they were going to be inundated with new people, rounded up by the harshest voices in this thread who are in conflict with the current board, who had never participated in HPNA before but wanting to vote in the election. That's the answer to my question that SuperFurry was reluctant to answer "Who exactly is being excluded here?"

Surely all the complaints makes clear that just such a "coupe" by non HPNA members was in the works. That's what ticks me off enough to be posting about this. I find the greater hypocrisy to be the complainers.

Posted on: 2005/12/11 21:21

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/5/5 19:37
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

darenot wrote:
You are seriously complaining that someone has to actually join an organization to vote in it!!?

Maybe not, but I do find the timing of the complete overhauling of their bylaws extremely suspect.

Posted on: 2005/12/11 19:17

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
You know what, you guys are stepping over the line to actually deliberately misleading people with this hyperbole.

Nothing is stopping anyone now or ever from joining HPNA. the only barrier has always been apathy, in plentiful supply. It sure isn't the $5 yearly dues. You are seriously complaining that someone has to actually join an organization to vote in it!!?

It sounds like you're complaining without knowing anything about the organization. Trustees ARE board members with full voting rights! They outnumber the officers and the only qualification is 30 days membership. That doesn't seem like an exclusionary hurdle to me.

Why is it a big deal you can't immediately become an officer? Participating for 1 year without controlling the agenda doesn't sound like such a hardship. Unless, of course, you're incapable of working as a team player. Perhaps THAT'S the point of the new rule!

Quote:

murican wrote:
ONLY 45 members! Shouldn't as many people as possible in the community be encouraged to join and be able to vote and participate in the board? Why do residents have to PROVE themselves worthy by time limits and service as trustees? I don't believe other neighborhood organizations have either these membership or service requirements for leadership.

How can the residents of Hamilton park register their views on urgent critical questions if they have a one month lag on their voting privileges and can only have certain people representing them.

Posted on: 2005/12/11 18:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/2/7 17:42
From Ward E - Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
As of November there were 45 or 46 dues paying members. I got this information from the treasurer, and it is not a secret. I think that most of us agree that only 46 members is not something to be proud of. Since the board has complete control over the association, things will change only if they want change, and I believe that change will only happen if there is pressure from the community.

I want the HPNA to be better -- and by better I mean, among other things, more inclusive, and less hostile to other groups.

Quote:

murican wrote:

If these facts are accurate the residents in Hamilton Park are in a very bad state. How can the interests of the community be served if there are only 45 members of HPNA?

ONLY 45 members! Shouldn't as many people as possible in the community be encouraged to join and be able to vote and participate in the board? Why do residents have to PROVE themselves worthy by time limits and service as trustees? I don't believe other neighborhood organizations have either these membership or service requirements for leadership.

Accepting the status quo, how will HPNA make sure that it is reflecting the wishes of the community? Will they be conducting surveys of all residents as they did for the Hamilton Park plan? How can the residents of Hamilton park register their views on urgent critical questions if they have a one month lag on their voting privileges and can only have certain people representing them.

These are questions that come to my mind when reading the posts.

Posted on: 2005/12/11 16:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/4/25 16:16
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

super_furry wrote:
Quote:

medfever555 wrote:
you all got what you deserved; once the lawyers got involved the party was over.

Were the lawyers that medfever555 referred to the two HPNA board members (lawyers) that craftily changed the bylaws to protect HPNA from the alleged ?carpet baggers?? Regardless of what he/she meant, at the last HPNA meeting on 12/7/05 there were 15 eligible voters present at mid meeting. HPNA total membership is about 45, and half to a third of those members (includes the HPNA trustees and officers) actually participate during the year, so 15 or 20 people ARE the HPNA. There are over a thousand people in the HP neighborhood eligible to join the association. Since the bylaws were changed they (the HPNA which for all practical purposes is the board) have the ability to put into office whomever they choose. Don?t expect people with independent views to be elected to trustee position, and certainly not to officer positions.

If these facts are accurate the residents in Hamilton Park are in a very bad state. How can the interests of the community be served if there are only 45 members of HPNA?

Accepting the status quo, how will HPNA make sure that it is reflecting the wishes of the community? Will they be conducting surveys of all residents as they did for the Hamilton Park plan? How can the residents of Hamilton park register their views on urgent critical questions if they have a one month lag on their voting privileges and can only have certain people representing them.

These are questions that come to my mind when reading the posts.

Posted on: 2005/12/11 8:54

Re: HPNA neglects to hold Nominations for Elections
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I believe the intent of changing the bylaws was to maintain absolute control over the association by a handful of individuals. My objection is not necessarily to the changes to the bylaws, but to the timing and the rationale behind the changes.

Since officers now have to have been trustees for a year to be eligible to run for officer positions, the HPNA has bought themselves several more years of absolute control over the organization.

So the same folks will running things at the HPNA. If you think they are doing a good job, you should be very pleased and can expect more of the same. If you are not altogether satisfied with the performance of the HPNA, and are excluded from voting in the annual elections, you will probably feel that you?ve been cheated.

Quote:

darenot wrote:
Minnie wrote:
Quote:

Only a select group of the membership may vote.

As I understand it, the "select group" you speak of is the people who are actually members. The new rule said anyone who was a member 90 days before a board election can vote. Who exactly is being excluded here?

Posted on: 2005/12/11 5:56

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Minnie wrote:
Quote:

Only a select group of the membership may vote.

As I understand it, the "select group" you speak of is the people who are actually members. The new rule said anyone who was a member 90 days before a board election can vote. Who exactly is being excluded here?

Posted on: 2005/12/11 4:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/11/9 13:22
Group:
Registered Users
Since the creation of HPNA, there has never been a waiting period to vote. That all changed this past November when the bylaws were changed with no public announcement and with only a select group of members being allowed to vote on the changes. The current President and VP never served a year as trustee. Rather than make these changes soon after they took office in January, they waited to November when their terms were expiring.

Unlike the HPNA, the FoHP does not claim to represent the residents. FoHP will be applying for 501c3, but in the meantime, FoHP falls under the umbrella of the JC Parks Coalition. Tax-deductible contributions and receipts are available through the JC Parks Coalition, and we have in the past accepted cash donations.

The two gentlemen that I nominated for President and VP that were reduced to Trustee have almost no chance of even being elected as Trustees. Only a select group of the membership may vote.

What is happening in Hamilton Park is very serious because the HPNA do claim to represent the Hamilton residents, are not able to remain neutral on positions while they gather a community consensus, cannot work with other community groups and are restricting voting and who can run.

DanL: In another post, you refer to www.25mc.org. This person has done more to address the issues of the ?St. Francis Hospital? development than the HPNA have. He should be able to run for Officer, and he has my vote!

Posted on: 2005/12/11 2:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I am not clear as to what the criticism has become.

1) HPNA is criticized because new members do not immediately have voting rights that day/meeting? It would seem prudent to some kind of waiting period even if only one month. We cannot show up on Election Day to register and vote the same day. If permitted this would allow packing a meeting on a particular issue and overide the "real" membership.

2) HPNA is criticized for wanting officers; Pres., VP etc to have previously served as a Trustee/Board Member and met attendence requirements. This sounds reasonable, provides for continuity, board development, knowledge of both the issues and what is truley involved with the position of responsibility.

The best I can conclude is that HPNA delayed elections to January to implement these changes, rather than do so earlier in the year, the changes were not on a published agenda of some type and newsletters are not always delivered to all. There are also complaints that meetings run long and the list of topics is also lenghty. Is this a gripe that there is alot to deal with or does this reflect the importance or relavence of these types of organizations.

Has the HPNA published a full agenda in advance of general meetings in the past or just hightlights or guests? While not a member, I receive the HPNA monthly newletter by e-mail. Hand delivering of newletters to all of the residents of the area every month is a large task for a changing cast of volunteers. Even people who agree to help out with deliveries can "forget" or just not do it. Do the HPNA critics regulary volunteer to distribute newsletters?

I do agree that major or controversial issues and votes should be announced in advance. So work on this issue.

How does the "competing" Friends of Hamilton Park grant voting rights to members and nominate/elect officers?

For what it is worth, when I contributed to the HPNA fund to replace the fence, I made my check payable to HPNA. However, when I looked at the FofHP website - www.friendsofhp.com - I see that contributions are requested made payable to "Cash". For that matter why is a supposed community group a dot com etc.

I have been an advocate for strong neighborhood associations and hope that the "critics" will participate in the process as the means to have HPNA become more like what they may want.

All that is involved is attending monthly meetings, volunteering some time, offering to join the board (if so inclined) - participate.

Posted on: 2005/12/10 15:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

medfever555 wrote:
you all got what you deserved; once the lawyers got involved the party was over.

Were the lawyers that medfever555 referred to the two HPNA board members (lawyers) that craftily changed the bylaws to protect HPNA from the alleged ?carpet baggers?? Regardless of what he/she meant, at the last HPNA meeting on 12/7/05 there were 15 eligible voters present at mid meeting. HPNA total membership is about 45, and half to a third of those members (includes the HPNA trustees and officers) actually participate during the year, so 15 or 20 people ARE the HPNA. There are over a thousand people in the HP neighborhood eligible to join the association. Since the bylaws were changed they (the HPNA which for all practical purposes is the board) have the ability to put into office whomever they choose. Don?t expect people with independent views to be elected to trustee position, and certainly not to officer positions.

Posted on: 2005/12/9 17:38

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/7/2 1:55
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Kermit42 wrote:

And Bright Moments: would you mind doing a little less of that? It makes the threads harder to follow and rarely adds anything.

Thank you Kermit. I thought I was the only one who found Bright Moment's graphics irritating, and provide neither value nor humor.

Posted on: 2005/12/9 16:51

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/4 1:14
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Kermit42 wrote:
medfever555:

Since you're obviously thinking of something specific, would you mind being specific? If you're going to call people hypocrites for supporting one thing while opposing another (without, by the way, identifying any particular person who supports one while opposing the other), you should spend a few words showing how those positions are inconsistent. I can't even tell which side is pissing you off.

Yeah I couldn't figure that out either.

Posted on: 2005/12/9 16:07

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/10/28 13:48
From Columbus St.
Group:
Registered Users
medfever555:

Since you're obviously thinking of something specific, would you mind being specific? If you're going to call people hypocrites for supporting one thing while opposing another (without, by the way, identifying any particular person who supports one while opposing the other), you should spend a few words showing how those positions are inconsistent. I can't even tell which side is pissing you off.

And Bright Moments: would you mind doing a little less of that? It makes the threads harder to follow and rarely adds anything.

Posted on: 2005/12/9 15:47

Hide User information
Last Login :
2006/12/3 7:58
Group:
Registered Users
What hypocrites! When these "backroom" deals were supposedly carried our by Fulop & company during the ROZ ordinance fight certain people on this list were very vocally opposed and even wrote letters to the media. When the same techniques are used in a neighboorhood association powerplay all i hear is silence or lame platitudes....

can't wait for this spring's fight over what to plant in "hamilton park gardens!"

Posted on: 2005/12/9 7:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/24 18:16
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Minnie wrote:
At last nights HPNA meeting:

...With 7 minutes left and before the security guard kicked us out at 10 pm? nominations were crammed in. I nominated a long time member for President and another community group leader for Vice President. They both accepted their nominations. Then the HPNA president denied them the opportunity to run for officers. The HPNA deemed them unworthy!

Perhaps we should take up a collection and send SamS to a Dale Carnegie class in meeting management. It was embarrassing.

Well, here's what that statement of the HPNA deeming anyone "unworthy", is really about:Resized ImageResized Image

Resized Image

Resized Image

Posted on: 2005/12/9 0:32
Resized Image
Help US Sue Spectra! Join OR Donate!

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Columbus St.
Group:
Registered Users
What do you mean "deemed them unworthy"? They run afowl of the sparkling new requirements?

Posted on: 2005/12/8 19:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
At last nights HPNA meeting:

The NID were not on the newsletter and Q&A took up a huge chunk of time. Steve Fulop gave us an update. Brunswick & Ninth LLC developers showed their project plans and again, Q&A ran very long.

For the third time, Home Depot was back on the agenda. The HPNA felt it was a better use of our time to have the Home Depot representatives present at the Nov. meeting, and hold off voting until the Dec. meeting. Another huge chunk of time was spent rehashing it again and after more fear and scare tactics, some 14 people (including themselves) were against the retail giant.

No time to discuss Historic Preservation. With 7 minutes left and before the security guard kicked us out at 10 pm? nominations were crammed in. I nominated a long time member for President and another community group leader for Vice President. They both accepted their nominations. Then the HPNA president denied them the opportunity to run for officers. The HPNA deemed them unworthy!

Perhaps we should take up a collection and send SamS to a Dale Carnegie class in meeting management. It was embarrassing.

Posted on: 2005/12/8 16:10

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/4 1:14
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Brewster,
I have only been living in Hamilton Park for almost 2 years. I am barely aware of anything that the HPNA does for the community. I never get the meeting agendas on my door step. The only time I would see them was when I would go to my boyfriend's and he would have one in his mailbox.

I had absolutely no idea that there was going to be new construction on my block until I saw a poster hung up on a pole by 25mc.org . I then was able to spread the word to my neighbors who also had no idea.

I stumbled upon jclist.com a couple of months ago so I was not aware of all the HPNA - Minnie drama. But thanks to this message board and those posting the HPNA meeting details, I now have finally been able to attend an HPNA meeting.

I didn't attend the last meeting because of all the drama, I attended because of my concerns for my block and the parking nightmare thatthe construction will cause.

As an outsider to all of the drama, it is obvious to me that there is something lacking with the HPNA. Why am I finding out about this construction from a watchdog group and not the HPNA? Why are the people on my block never informed about the HPNA meetings even though they are held right across the street from us?

I don't care who hates who and who can't work with who blah blah blah. I just want to know what is going on in the neighborhood.

Before the last meeting, I saw Minnie's post trying to rally everyone up to go and ask about elections. I went to the meeting, I paid my dues. But let me tell you, as an outsider, I was really PUT OFF by the actions of the board and how they changed the bylaws. It seemed rather childish as though they were trying to slap minnie in the face. That really should have been put in the meeting agenda and you know it. But the whole election debacle was not why I attended the meeting. I attended because of the development in the area.

This isn't Junior High School, this is a neighborhood. I wish that the board and Minnie could sort out their problems, but in my eyes, the board does not want to budge, and they look very childish in their actions.

I put on my membership application that I would volunteer anyway they would like me too. It would be nice if someone contacted me. I would be more than willing to pass out the meeting agenda to those on my block and the next block over so that they can be included too.

Posted on: 2005/11/17 14:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
At the Nov HPNA meeting, Geoff said that the circa 1987 Bylaws were being amended due to year end filing requirements. Could you explain what requirements had to be fulfilled?

Posted on: 2005/11/16 20:12

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/6/11 12:35
From Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Even if what you claim about minnie is true, and that she is the trotsky to the HPNA Stalin, it doesn't alter the fact that this, "wait till everybod leaves, then call a snap vote" thing is totaly f-ed up and scumbaggy. Address that, please. Given the high handed and imperious way that the HPNA has behaved in the past, particularly on this board, you already have zero cred, so I would clean up your act or step up to the fact that you are authoritarians.

Posted on: 2005/11/16 20:01
"Contemplate this upon the Tree of Woe."

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Brewster, it must be comforting to use Minnie as a scapegoat, and project HPNA's problems toward her, but you are avoiding the fact that HPNA has a problem, and the problem is the current HPNA leadership. You have brought this upon yourselves! Sorry, but we will not be silent.

It is supposed to rain tonight. Minnie must be behind it! Damn that Minnie!!!

Quote:

brewster wrote:
Interesting, Minnie says democracy doesn't work unless ...
...But likely by then they too have seen the light and can't get along with Minnie...rejecting the idea. (Minnie is opposed to a dog run) ...all that would be left would be Minnie!

Posted on: 2005/11/16 19:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I'd like to focus on the facts.

The bylaws were changed to exclude, and not include, and to keep new members from voting. The HPNA is well aware of who is planning to run for President and the two VP spots. If you don't know, I will tell you.

President:
An immigrant from Ecuador who has been attending HPNA meetings for years, in good standing, and thinks the HPNA is all talk and no action. The HPNA recently asked him if he could paint the gazebo during their fall planting day. Well, they don't think he should run for officer, but they need him to help paint. And so the bylaws were changed so that he cannot run for Officer. The human rights folks would have a field day with this one!

1st Vice President:
25mcwilliams. When the HPNA failed to properly address the St. Francis Hospital issues, 25mcwilliams grabbed the bull by the horns and got the word out, set up a website and was available to answer questions to anyone that asked. It's a shame the Silvermans were represented by the HPNA because they really are two nice men! And so the bylaws were changed so that he cannot be nominated for Officer.

2nd Vice President:
Minnie. Who is in excellent standing, paid up dues, never missed a board meeting or public meeting (except those she was excluded from). Minnie is well known in the neighborhood and there is no shortage of people that will come out to vote for her. And so the bylaws were changed so that new people cannot vote!

It's no secret that Minnie exposed the HPNA for not voting in the public forum. I prefer to represent the public majority and not the board of directors majority.

Anyone that wants to run for Officer should be able to do so. Anyone that wants to vote should be able to do so.

Posted on: 2005/11/16 18:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/14 0:06
Group:
Registered Users
Drama! Love it. This thread has the potential to be as good as the Dan Wrieden thread.

Please keep it alive.

Thanks

GWB

Posted on: 2005/11/16 18:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Minnie wrote:
Trustee spots are for people like you that are too busy to really get involved but want to keep one foot in the door. But nice try.

Interesting, Minnie says democracy doesn't work unless you're in charge! At least that's consistent with her inability to work with ANYBODY when she's not in charge! The fact is none of the active senior members of the board are officers, clearly falsifying her above statement.

Lets see, she couldn't work with last years board, so she agitated for new members in the election and, lo and behold, got them not just in a majority but in the officerships, but couldn't get along with ANY of them either! Now she want's to try again.

If someone wants to be on the HPNA board, let them run for trustee and have a voice and a vote. Then they can run for office and throw the rest of rascals out next year. But likely by then they too have seen the light and can't get along with Minnie.

As for me, I'm on the board for 1 reason. To represent families interests, because when I joined there was only 1 other parent. This included being a rational voice for a dog run so as to safely share the park, a time when even the dog owners were rejecting the idea. (Minnie is opposed to a dog run) If voices on the board were limited to those with unlimited time because they have no work or family commitments, all that would be left would be Minnie!

Posted on: 2005/11/16 17:42

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/6/11 12:35
From Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Brewster wrote:

"The current board recognized that while inclusiveness is good, so is a rational system of governance, a long overdue revision of the bylaws."

Is "rational system of governance" sort of like "guided democracy?" Interesting. And the way the HPNA went about instlling this reeks of North Korean hamhandedness.

I guess this believe in guided democracy is ubiquitous throughout the HPNA leadership. I recall how they didn't want their dirty laundry aired publicly vis a vis Minnie's planting project- though they didn't hesitate to publicly trash VVP's renovations.

What's the deal brewster, are you angling for the position of "dear leader" that they are about to create?

Thank god I live in VVP, so I am not directly affected by this pack of Jackasses. Still, as far as I am concerned a group not only this anti-democratic, but hapless and boneheaded pack of jackals should have no influence in city wide events. City hall ought to disband this organization, of it can, or (if not) then freeze it out.

Posted on: 2005/11/16 12:55
"Contemplate this upon the Tree of Woe."

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
We know when we've been cheated!

IT IS NOT OK TO CHANGE THE RULES A MONTH PRIOR TO THE VOTE AND FAIL TO GIVE NOTICE!

The Bylaws weren't changed in 18 years, so what was the rush? Your board wanted to exclude competition for officer positions to keep the current board in power. Little attention was given to improving the Bylaws. Overall, they are still poorly written, vague, and riddled with typographical errors ? see Section 2.1-f, Section 5.3, Section 6.4, Section 6.7, Section 7.1, Section 9.2, etc.

There should have been notice given that the Bylaws would be changed, and the proposed changes should have been made available to the voting members in advance, discussed at the next meeting, and voted on. The amended bylaws should not have taken effect until AFTER the annual election.
The credibility of the HPNA board has been tarnished.

Quote:

brewster wrote:
The current board recognized that while inclusiveness is good, so is a rational system of governance, a long overdue revision of the bylaws. Requiring a member to actually live in HP and have actually become a member and attended 1 meeting before voting on issues doesn't seem rash to me. Otherwise HPNA can be overrun by "carpetbaggers" coming to vote on any issue that is notorious enough and swamping our dedicated members. As always, our meetings are open to anyone from anywhere who wishes to attend.

Posted on: 2005/11/16 5:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Brewster stop obsessing over me, it's really not healthy. It's not about me.

"Draft Bylaw Amendments: November 2, 2005
Section 6.3 [new]
Except as otherwise provided by these bylaws, only current trustees and officers who will have completed one full year of continuous service and who are in good standing are eligible for nomination and election as officers at the annual meeting."

There is no shortage of residents in HP that are planning to run for Officers that are very familiar with HPNA, Hamilton Park, and Jersey City, including long time members in good standing! The HPNA knew this and used their skills to kill it fast. It?s now a private club. Even officers in good standing are thrown out, just because.

Trustee spots are for people like you that are too busy to really get involved but want to keep one foot in the door. But nice try.

Posted on: 2005/11/16 4:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Kermit42 wrote:
brewster:

From what you write here, it sounds like you want to encourage more people to get involved, not make it more difficult for them.

Do you know why did the HPNA board recently made some important bylaw changes unannounced, late in the meeting, that severely limit who can run for officer and (less severly) limit who can vote?

Maybe I'm misinformed on that because it seems odd and at odds with the new guard inclusiveness that your post above indicates you want.

The current board recognized that while inclusiveness is good, so is a rational system of governance, a long overdue revision of the bylaws. Requiring a member to actually live in HP and have actually become a member and attended 1 meeting before voting on issues doesn't seem rash to me. Otherwise HPNA can be overrun by "carpetbaggers" coming to vote on any issue that is notorious enough and swamping our dedicated members. As always, our meetings are open to anyone from anywhere who wishes to attend.

Does requiring someone to have shown some interest in how the organization works before running it seem crazy? Despite the fact that Sam has done an excellent job without having been a board member before, even his "classmates" agreed it was not a generally good idea. If you want to run HPNA, spend a term as a trustee. Simply run. We're so "exclusive" that in my 8 years living here I have yet to see a contested trustee election.

At the same time as restricting officership to a previous boardmember, we leave open trusteeships to new members, as a way to encourage more participation.

And for this we're called Nazis.

PS: Families are perenially under represented on the board because we're so damn busy. The birth of Jen's son brings the parents of minors to 4 out of 15. Any parent who feels they can contribute and can find the time should consider it.

Posted on: 2005/11/16 1:51

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Columbus St.
Group:
Registered Users
brewster:

From what you write here, it sounds like you want to encourage more people to get involved, not make it more difficult for them.

Do you know why did the HPNA board recently made some important bylaw changes unannounced, late in the meeting, that severely limit who can run for officer and (less severly) limit who can vote?

Maybe I'm misinformed on that because it seems odd and at odds with the new guard inclusiveness that your post above indicates you want.

Posted on: 2005/11/15 23:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

DowntownJC wrote:
Admittedly, I'm not the biggest fan of the Hamilton Park Neighborhood Association but after reading this, it's been made crystal clear they do not represent me or my neighbors. It seems the only thing the HPNA is good for is ensuring that the same few individuals retain their tyrannical control over this mostly worthless group.

Before you rag you should have your facts straight, rather than buying into Minnie's badmouthing an earnest hardworking group that she alienated with her bullying behaviour.

Now WHO are these "few individuals [who] retain their tyrannical control"?

Of the 15 HPNA boardmembers elected a year ago, only 7, including Minnie, were incumbent. Of the 5 officers, only Minnie and the treasurer Tom had even been on the board before. Does this sound like an organization keeping people out and monopolizing power? Note that we couldn't even get one more person to run to fill out the board.

Despite the spin of what Minnie and her allies say, this isn't about the "old guard", it's about the "new guard' rejecting her manipulations and attempts to control everything.

Posted on: 2005/11/15 23:09

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017