Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
136 user(s) are online (125 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 136

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Best internet or internet+tv options
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/30 19:03
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mtesalona wrote:
Verizon - by far - is giving the best service in Jersey City right now.

We're not doing any cable service, mind you, just the Internet and cell phone service which is especially attractive these days as you can hop on one of those $45 a month unlimited talk text data plans.

I only spend half my time working from home (other half is at Indiegrove downtown) but I've never had any issues with connectivity or strength of signal.

Yeah, same. Everything is relative, but I'm paying for 75/75 and regularly getting like 83-85mbps both up and down.

Posted on: 2017/3/8 22:04

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/3/20 19:30
From JERSEY CITY
Group:
Registered Users
Verizon - by far - is giving the best service in Jersey City right now.

We're not doing any cable service, mind you, just the Internet and cell phone service which is especially attractive these days as you can hop on one of those $45 a month unlimited talk text data plans.

I only spend half my time working from home (other half is at Indiegrove downtown) but I've never had any issues with connectivity or strength of signal.

Posted on: 2017/3/7 14:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/21 2:00
Group:
Registered Users
I had another tech come out today. My phone was dead. He went into a long detailed explanation which I didn't follow, but the bottom line is that the equipment that serves 20 units is outdated and needs upgrading. Tomorrow, Verizon will replace the faulty card for the phone. My neighbors' phones are out too as a result of the faulty card.

The tech commented about the set up in the equipment room. He said the same as the other tech said. Each unit should have their own box. Otherwise, problems will continue. The Internet speed I have now is as good as it's gonna get with the present equipment. That is, ranging from 38mbs to 50mbs download, generally closer to 38mbs.

The good news is he gave me the local phone number for engineering, the department in charge of upgrading equipment. You have no idea how hard I've tried to get this number. Perhaps this will be the end of the issue, for now anyway. However, I'm totally jaded about Verizon and somehow, I don't think the issue is gonna get fixed until their good and ready to fix it.

FIOS is a great thing when it works. However, if there is ever a problem, it is the worst nightmare dealing with Verizon. I was one of the first to get DSL in JC centuries ago. It was the same situation then - it was great when it worked, a nightmare to get fixed when it didn't. And this characterizes how Verizon has always been.

Enough griping. Perhaps there's light at the end of the tunnel and I've complained to enough people.

Posted on: 2017/3/1 23:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/10 13:10
From Downtown JC, VVP Area
Group:
Registered Users
Anon, We believe you, and you've tried a few things that didn't work. Have you considered changing your DNS Server settings, either on the router or on a hard-wired PC? This link will get you started.

https://www.lifewire.com/double-intern ... e-settings-change-2377750

I have FiOS 50/50 service Downtown and it's consistently 59 Down and 65 Up. But that's in a 1-family house with a whole bunch of hard-wired computers connected (for my business). The other thing that comes to mind is whether your building uses an Ethernet Hub or a proper Switch -- makes a big difference...

Posted on: 2017/3/1 20:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

anonymess wrote:
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
It sounds like your router settings might be wrong or your router might just need to be replaced -- they can fail -- but try unplugging it for 15 minutes.

Nobody believes me, oh well. Two technicians said it was the equipment that serves 20 units, installed in 2011. At times I get 50mbs but it averages 20% or 25% less. I hadn't checked the speed for years so this may have been the case for a long time. The only reason I recently checked was because downloading some large files, something I don't often do, was extremely slow.

Anyway, went through the entire drill and more with Verizon on the phone - reset modem, router, unplugged both for 5 minutes, changed all cables, etc.

Did they schedule an actual service visit? If you want something to happen (changing wiring, trying a new router, etc.), you need techs to come out.

Posted on: 2017/3/1 19:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

anonymess wrote:

Nobody believes me, oh well...

Verizon techs really just don't want to try a new router/modem combo -- because it will cost them or you $100 -- I would just try this "Router & Modem" unit for only $18 total shipped -- then just call Verizon and they'll help you set it up for free -- it likely will solve all your issues --click link below:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TESTED-Verizo ... less-Router-/112314897074

Posted on: 2017/3/1 17:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
It sounds like your router settings might be wrong or your router might just need to be replaced -- they can fail -- but try unplugging it for 15 minutes.

Nobody believes me, oh well. Two technicians said it was the equipment that serves 20 units, installed in 2011. At times I get 50mbs but it averages 20% or 25% less. I hadn't checked the speed for years so this may have been the case for a long time. The only reason I recently checked was because downloading some large files, something I don't often do, was extremely slow.

Anyway, went through the entire drill and more with Verizon on the phone - reset modem, router, unplugged both for 5 minutes, changed all cables, etc.

Posted on: 2017/3/1 15:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2017/3/1 14:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:

Actually, your issue is most likely with the building, but not its wiring or the equipment installed in 2010/2011. As you know, we used to be neighbors, and I started having issues with FiOS connectivity after they started renting roof space to the cell repeating antennas, which causes interference with wireless networks. I know it was that because, if I connected to the router via hardwire (direct cable connection to the router) I could get the advertised 25/25 speed, but as soon as I went to wireless, the signal would drop to 5 Mbps, sometimes 1 Mbps. Before blaming it on FiOS, or the building wiring, I would rule out the interference issue. PM me if you need some more information or help.

Nah, my computer and TiVo are hardwired to the router and the problems are noticeable with both. I pay for 50/10 download/upload, the maximum speed available for my area of the building. Before the tech came out, I was getting on average 17/2.5. After he did a patch job, the speed varies tremendously but averages about 38/8. While I experience less buffering with my TV after the tech came, it's still present.

While you may be correct about the building wiring, that's not the issue, at least for residents in my part of the building. The main building apparently is okay with speeds and residents are able to get much faster speeds - 200mbs or more, I forget what the manager mentioned. That's because newer equipment is installed. Management is not holding back on upgrading the Monitor St. apartments, or the poor side of town as I call it - they have tried to work with Verizon. Even though upgraded equipment would benefit all parties, Verizon is an incredibly poorly run company and they don't think in such terms.

The reason for my post was not to gripe but hopefully to get a phone number of someone at Verizon who could address the problem.

Posted on: 2017/3/1 11:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

anonymess wrote:
I hate talking about this stuff; it only gets me riled up.

But... I had a problem with FIOS. The speed was a fraction of what it was supposed to be. Long story short... the tech came out, did a temporary fix and the speed is better, though not what I'm paying for. As it turns out, the equipment is already outdated (installed 6 years ago) and needs to be updated. I live in a mid-size condo bldg. and building mgmt has no idea who to contact at Verizon. They tried.

In any event, I don't want to pay for a speed I don't get. I spoke with seemingly someone at Verizon who gave a hoot, a supervisor in tech support. He said he would deal with the upgrade issue as well as having someone from billing call to adjust my account. He also left a number where I could reach him, though he said he would contact me the next day, a week ago now. Never happened. The phone number he gave me just rings endlessly.

Par for the course, nothing promised happened. Billing tells me there's nothing they can do and no one knows who the heck to talk to about upgrading the equipment for my section of the building. I've banged my head against the wall enough times with Verizon FIOS and don't feel like jumping through hoops again. However, it's highway robbery to have to pay for an Internet speed that they cannot provide. Unfortunately, the only competition is just as bad, if not worse. Help!

Actually, your issue is most likely with the building, but not its wiring or the equipment installed in 2010/2011. As you know, we used to be neighbors, and I started having issues with FiOS connectivity after they started renting roof space to the cell repeating antennas, which causes interference with wireless networks. I know it was that because, if I connected to the router via hardwire (direct cable connection to the router) I could get the advertised 25/25 speed, but as soon as I went to wireless, the signal would drop to 5 Mbps, sometimes 1 Mbps. Before blaming it on FiOS, or the building wiring, I would rule out the interference issue. PM me if you need some more information or help.

Yep, and that's the first step. Connect directly to the router via ethernet and see what speeds you're getting. Totally different set of issues if the problem is the wifi.

Posted on: 2017/2/28 22:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

anonymess wrote:

But... I had a problem with FIOS. The speed was a fraction of what it was supposed to be. Long story short... the tech came out, did a temporary fix and the speed is better, though not what I'm paying for. As it turns out, the equipment is already outdated (installed 6 years ago) and needs to be updated. I live in a mid-size condo bldg. and building mgmt has no idea who to contact at Verizon. They tried.

In any event, I don't want to pay for a speed I don't get. I spoke with seemingly someone at Verizon who gave a hoot, a supervisor in tech support. He said he would deal with the upgrade issue as well as having someone from billing call to adjust my account. He also left a number where I could reach him, though he said he would contact me the next day, a week ago now. Never happened. The phone number he gave me just rings endlessly.

Par for the course, nothing promised happened. Billing tells me there's nothing they can do and no one knows who the heck to talk to about upgrading the equipment for my section of the building. I've banged my head against the wall enough times with Verizon FIOS and don't feel like jumping through hoops again. However, it's highway robbery to have to pay for an Internet speed that they cannot provide. Unfortunately, the only competition is just as bad, if not worse. Help!

Posted on: 2017/2/28 18:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/4 19:30
Group:
Registered Users
Is that all our choices, verizon vios, comcast xfinity, direcTV?

Most have 12 month deals, i.e. 50 first 12 months and the second 12 months is more expensive = 2 year contract. Bastards.

Posted on: 2017/2/28 0:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/5/7 3:26
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

anonymess wrote:

Quit whining and go with someone else.

Posted on: 2017/2/27 21:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2017/2/27 21:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Fios has a $29.99 25/25Mbps internet only deal -- or also $39.99 50/50Mbps -- either works well for streaming -- especially with ethernet cable. -- Always good to mention the Comcast deals or vice versa. Also even if an ad says for new customers only -- just ask to talk to supervisor and just tell them you are going to switch if can't get the deal - you will likely need to lock in for 2 years -- but that is OK -- even if you move it can go with you.

Posted on: 2017/2/26 22:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
See if you can get the $30 Internet only deal from Comcast

Posted on: 2017/2/26 3:33

Best internet or internet+tv options
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/4 19:30
Group:
Registered Users
My 2 year is almost up. Paid 50 first year and paid 70 second year (taxes included) with Verizon. I have my own router, extender, don't use verizon box/remote etc. and have Mohu Leaf.

I see spectrum, direcTV even sending me mail ?

Can anyone advise what the best deal right now for internet only or internet + tv is? Any other options? Thanks.

Posted on: 2017/2/25 13:10

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017