Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
131 user(s) are online (106 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 131

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Woman dies falling off escalator inside famed World Trade Center Oculus while reaching to grab hat
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
It's so sad, she sounds like she was a terrific kid, a great daughter and sister-accomplished, active, driven. As someone said earlier, many of us got away with doing silly/stupid things. She didn't. RIP.

I agree Monroe, as much as I feel doing a stupid thing can reap havoc on our lives I still felt bad when I read this story. She had a lot going for her, such a sorry loss.

Posted on: 2017/2/13 22:41
Get on your bikes and ride !

Re: Woman dies falling off escalator inside famed World Trade Center Oculus while reaching to grab hat
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
It's so sad, she sounds like she was a terrific kid, a great daughter and sister-accomplished, active, driven. As someone said earlier, many of us got away with doing silly/stupid things. She didn't. RIP.

Posted on: 2017/2/13 22:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/12 20:58
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Dram shop or barkeeper's liability applies to a person injured by the drunk person, not to injury to the person drinking.

Posted on: 2017/2/13 22:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

TonyTwoPoops wrote:
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
Quote:

TonyTwoPoops wrote:
Stay classy, JCList!

Great advice coming from someone with a name like TwoPoops. I bet if it was a poor JC kid who did this -- you'd be singing a different tune.

BTW, if her blood level was very high - can the bar she was last at be sued?

Uh no I'm pretty sure I'd still be singing the tune of "people who are this excited to mock the dead have some personal issues they need to work out."

What does class or social status have to do with caring if someone died or not to you? What a gross and unsympathetic person you must be.

I guess in your eyes TTP you would call the dead a hero. And yeah sometimes we feel worse or better depending on the characteristics of the dead.

Posted on: 2017/2/13 21:39
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/16 19:07
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

TonyTwoPoops wrote:

What does class or social status have to do with caring if someone died or not to you? What a gross and unsympathetic person you must be.

Yes. This is sad and unfortunate. Life is complicated, people too. I find it hard to think that what this young woman did is beyond the limit of human adventurousness. Unfortunately things went wrong. Sometimes that happens.

Posted on: 2017/2/13 21:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/23 21:08
Group:
Registered Users
It was unintended use of the escalator handrail.... so i don't think there is any liability claim. Sorry that she died doing this silly prank. Her twin sister must live with the awful fact that she did nothing to prevent it.

Posted on: 2017/2/13 21:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/1 0:23
From the village
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
Quote:

TonyTwoPoops wrote:
Stay classy, JCList!

Great advice coming from someone with a name like TwoPoops. I bet if it was a poor JC kid who did this -- you'd be singing a different tune.

Uh no I'm pretty sure I'd still be singing the tune of "people who are this excited to mock the dead have some personal issues they need to work out."

Posted on: 2017/2/13 20:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/18 17:32
Group:
Registered Users
There's a legal concept called "vicarious liability" that could apply if she was overserved...but most often it applies to bars that serve to people who they know are going to drive a vehicle, and then the person is in an accident. Somebody who gets loaded and does something stupid is usually on their own, legally.

Posted on: 2017/2/13 19:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

TonyTwoPoops wrote:
Stay classy, JCList!

Posted on: 2017/2/13 17:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/1 0:23
From the village
Group:
Registered Users
Stay classy, JCList!

Posted on: 2017/2/13 16:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/5/7 3:26
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

stillinjc wrote:
Nominated for 2017 Darwin Award.

You must be a hoot at parties...

Posted on: 2017/2/13 16:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/27 23:03
From Jersey City yo!
Group:
Registered Users
Nominated for 2017 Darwin Award.

Posted on: 2017/2/13 14:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/18 17:32
Group:
Registered Users
A terrible tragedy, and while I agree that it seems silly for anyone to sue over this, I can't help but think of the 10,000 dumb things I've done after a few drinks. I was just luckier than this young lady.

Posted on: 2017/2/13 14:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users

Resized Image

Quote:

jerseymom wrote:
N.J. woman pretended to be a superhero on Oculus escalator before falling to her death

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
Sunday, February 12, 2017, 9:37 PM

The New Jersey woman who fell to her death from an escalator at the Oculus transit hub was apparently horsing around on the handrail, mimicking a superhero before she lost her balance, a source said Sunday.

Officials who saw video of the tragic accident said victim Jenny Santos, 29, fell 34 feet early Saturday after laying prone on the banister of the escalator with her arms spread-eagle, like she was pretending to be flying, the source said.

More

Resized Image

Resized Image

Posted on: 2017/2/13 14:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
N.J. woman pretended to be a superhero on Oculus escalator before falling to her death

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
Sunday, February 12, 2017, 9:37 PM

The New Jersey woman who fell to her death from an escalator at the Oculus transit hub was apparently horsing around on the handrail, mimicking a superhero before she lost her balance, a source said Sunday.

Officials who saw video of the tragic accident said victim Jenny Santos, 29, fell 34 feet early Saturday after laying prone on the banister of the escalator with her arms spread-eagle, like she was pretending to be flying, the source said.

More

Posted on: 2017/2/13 5:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/1/2 2:11
Group:
Registered Users
The Oculus is a death trap waiting to happen. If there is ever a situation that causes a panic there, it will be terrible. The stairs leading to the Path trains are terribly designed, the flooring and stairs are hard marble, and there are far too few open exits. The side exits are short escalator, stairs, and another set of escalators with lines to get on the escalators any time around rush hour. Commuters are always walking into one another's way. I compute there each workday and everyday I look to see if they have opened more exits (they have not). It was designed for an open concept and for shopping, but it a terrible commuting hub.

Posted on: 2017/2/13 4:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
I was in a department store years ago, when a kid in sandals, maybe 4 years old had his toes stuck in the escalator. Accidents do happen, so people who are uncomfortable should take the elevators instead.

Posted on: 2017/2/13 1:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/29 17:59
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

Annod wrote:
They should sue them. The stairs, escalators, and elevators are ridiculous.

What's ridiculous about the escalators? And, so ridiculous that it should have been foreseen thus making the PA negligent and worthy of being sued??

Riding down an escalator is about as simple a task as a human brain could do: hop on, and hold on to hand rail.

Any lawsuit against the PA will likely get tossed, or fail. Justifiably.

You would like to think that riding an escalator would be easy... I have been caught behind people who were barely able to get on or off without causing a pile up behind them.

Posted on: 2017/2/12 23:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Agree. How many ppl have used the escalators since it opened? How many have "fallen" off ?

quote]
bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

Annod wrote:

What's ridiculous about the escalators? And, so ridiculous that it should have been foreseen thus making the PA negligent and worthy of being sued??

Riding down an escalator is about as simple a task as a human brain could do: hop on, and hold on to hand rail.

[/quote]

Posted on: 2017/2/12 17:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Annod wrote:

Posted on: 2017/2/12 14:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
stupid accident, stupid woman ... skylarking like children that had a deadly outcome.

Posted on: 2017/2/12 1:51
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/29 17:59
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

asny10011 wrote:
I hope they are able to scrub the marble floors clean. Sorry to hear about this accident. It doesn't make sense how someone can fall from an escalator????

I have fallen on the stairs on the east side... the steps are concave and I missed the last couple steps not looking where I was stepping... always take escalator on that side... not enough handrails. The white on white, plus slickness when wet is a disaster waiting to happen.

Posted on: 2017/2/12 0:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
Its design is defined by its brilliant arched roof that?s meant to resemble a bird-in-flight. Inside, there are several layers of escalators each situated to end at almost a floating platform, leaving almost nothing between the escalators and the ground below, WCBS 880?s Mike Smeltz reported

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2017/02/11/fatal-fall-oculus/

Posted on: 2017/2/11 22:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users

--------

Woman falls to her death from Oculus escalator

A woman trying to grab a hat dropped by her twin sister fell to her death from an escalator at the World Trade Center?s soaring Oculus transit hub on Saturday.

The 29-year-old Kearny, NJ resident, identified by law enforcement sources as Jennifer Santos, was riding the escalator with her sister Jessica at about 5:30 a.m.when her sister lost her grip on the hat, law enforcement sources saw.

Santos fell 30 feet to her death onto the main concourse, said the sources. She was taken to Bellevue Hospital, where she was pronounced dead.

?How sad is this? To lose your life over a hat. It?s unbelievable,? one Port Authority worker could be overheard saying at the scene. ?A f*****g hat.?

The worker, who was in a supervisory position, claimed Santos? twin sister playfully threw the hat.

?I don?t even want to think about what she?s going through,? he could be heard telling two colleagues as they stood near the escalator.

Witnesses told The Post that Santos appeared to have died instantly upon hitting the white marble floor ? and that the surviving sister rushed screaming to her body.

?There was a lot of blood,? said a construction worker. ?That was it. There was nothing you could do. She wasn?t going to make it. ?There was a lot of blood, and the way she was laying??

Her sister was taken to an area hospital, where she is being treated for trauma.

Santos graduated from William Paterson University of New Jersey with a BS in physical education and health for kindergarten through 12th grade and driver?s education, according to her Linkedin page.

She also worked a short stint as a student teacher at the Lyndhurst Board of Education in 2012.

Santos liked electronic music including musicians Nom De Strip, DJ TJR and duo GTA ? and she, her twin Jessica and other sister Stephanie Marie are Rangers fans, according to their social media accounts.

She wrote on her Couchsurfing profile that the most amazing thing she?s done was ?looking at the Eiffel Tower while in Paris. Absolutely gorgeous!?

?Another moment would be skydiving,? she added. ?Never felt a feeling of being alive and badass at the same time!?

http://nypost.com/2017/02/11/woman-fa ... rld-trade-centers-oculus/

Posted on: 2017/2/11 22:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I hope they are able to scrub the marble floors clean. Sorry to hear about this accident. It doesn't make sense how someone can fall from an escalator????

Posted on: 2017/2/11 21:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
This is very sad and unfortunate. Given the circumstances and time of the accident, I wonder if alcohol was involved. I wouldn't be surprised if the PA ends up as the subject of a lawsuit.

Posted on: 2017/2/11 21:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
Twin Plunges to Death Rescuing Sister's Hat at World Trade Center Oculus: Law Enforcement Sources

A New Jersey woman fell to her death while trying to rescue her twin sister's hat at the World Trade Center Oculus Saturday morning, law enforcement sources said.

The 29-year-old sisters from Kearny boarded an escalator going into the the World Trade Center Oculus, when one of the sisters' hats fell from the escalator, authorities said.

The source said one twin reached for the hat and fell 30 feet over the side of the escalator around 5 a.m.

Port Authority Police officials said officers responded to the scene at around 5:30 a.m. after the woman fell to the main concourse floor. The victim was rushed to Bellevue Hospital, where she was pronounced dead.

The investigation is ongoing.

Source: Twin Plunges to Death Rescuing Sister's Hat at World Trade Center Oculus: Law Enforcement Sources | NBC New York http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/ ... 487183.html#ixzz4YOaZNuKo
Follow us: @nbcnewyork on Twitter | NBCNewYork on Facebook

Posted on: 2017/2/11 16:41

Woman dies falling off escalator inside famed World Trade Center Oculus while reaching to grab hat
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
Woman dies falling off escalator inside famed World Trade Center Oculus while reaching to grab hat

Saturday, February 11, 2017, 9:54 AM

A woman died when she fell off an escalator inside the famed World Trade Center Oculus early Saturday while reaching to grab a hat her twin sister dropped, law enforcement sources said.

The victim, whose name was not immediately released, fell over the side of the escalator while reaching for the hat and plunged about 30 feed around 5 a.m., sources said.

She died at the scene.

The $3.9 billion Oculus opened in March after years of construction and delays. The strikingly designed white marble transit hub provides connections between New Jersey's PATH trains and New York City's subways and contains a shopping mall.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/w ... -oculus-article-1.2969881

http://abc7ny.com/news/1-hurt-after-f ... nhattan-saturday/1749650/

Posted on: 2017/2/11 15:16

« 1 (2)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact