Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
118 user(s) are online (101 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 118

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Complete Streets - Bike JC's Grand Street Vision
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Dan, it strikes me a little like pushing for organic food in schools when kids are going hungry and getting shot. A good idea, but there's so much more basic to do to all over the city to make traffic flow for cars, pedestrians and cycles make sense.

Specifically on Grand, there's ridiculous traffic artifacts like the one block of parking permitted between State & Westervelt that creates a choke point for 2 lanes of traffic westbound, and that can't be good for cyclists either. As for protected lanes, reducing Grand to 1 lane each way between Communipaw & the Tpk will be a traffic nightmare.

I was thinking of starting a thread just of this kind of ridiculous and lazy street design that creates unnecessary hazards. The authorities refusal to recognize the reality of these situations is mind boggling. Another stupid artifact is Division St, a 3 block 2 way that is simply not wide enough for the parking allowed and 2 way traffic. Same on 13th between Monmouth & Coles, and that whole area up to 18th has a become a parking wild west. I could go on and on, and while you might say this is about cars, anything that creates chaos for cars also creates hazards for bikes and pedestrians as the cars struggle through.

I guess this is a corollary to what I've said elsewhere that trying to solve to safety issues with elaborate street design in the virtual absence of traffic enforcement will inevitably lead to a street grid ground to a halt in stop signs at every single corner, reduced lanes and speed humps. And the dangerous drivers will still be dangerous as they try and make up for lost time with extra aggression. I say reduce the traffic friction rather than add friction, but also enforce the law.

Posted on: 2016/11/20 20:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Funny... while Bike JC is lobbying for protected bike lines, cyclists like me are just hoping for a comprehensive, rational bike lane plan that doesn't consists of haphazardly placed bike lanes that start and stop suddenly and which do not join or connect with other lanes.

I am not shitting on their plans (and, I am glad someone is advocating for the interests of cyclist in JC) but let's get real... we need to come up with a bike lane plan that makes sense, and then get it implemented and, most importantly, we NEED ENFORCEMENT! The bike lanes along Grove Street are a joke; they have become the protected, safe "double parking" zone of JC. And, to be honest, I just don't think a bike lane along Grand Street will be ANY different than the existing one on Columbus, which starts/end randomly in the middle of that road.

Posted on: 2016/11/20 19:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/11 14:10
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
JFK Blvd needs a bike lane.

Posted on: 2016/11/20 16:42

Complete Streets - Bike JC's Grand Street Vision
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Bike JC asks for your support in the creation of Jersey City's first protected bike lane on Grand Street.

Motor vehicular, cycling and pedestrian traffic has dramatically increased in Jersey City over the last few years, particularly on Grand Street. As Bike JC looks to expand upon the existing bike-lane network, we understand the need to install protected bike lanes on our busiest roads. Bike JC's vision begins with Grand Street.

Grand Street runs through several neighborhoods and serves as a connection to major routes and highways. Grand Street also borders the entrance to Liberty State Park for many Jersey City residents and is lined with multiple schools, community centers, houses of worship, commercial and residential districts and the Jersey City Medical Center.

Protected bike lanes have proven to be the best tool for encouraging an increase in cycling among the majority of people who are interested in getting around by bike but are concerned about safety. Protected bike lanes are safer for cyclists, create increased awareness and reduces speeding amongst drivers, increase safety at intersections for pedestrians and cyclists and have proven to dramatically reduce the number of cyclists who ride on sidewalks.

A recent study of protected bike lanes in the US and Canada proves how effective protected bike lanes are throughout both countries and staunchly supports Bike JC's Grand Street Vision. We ask that residents, businesses, schools, houses of worship and the representatives of Jersey City join in our vision and support the creation of Jersey City's first protected bike lane on Grand Street.

On line petition - https://www.change.org/p/city-of-jerse ... sey-city-complete-streets

See Facebook post with before and after proposed protected bike lane renderings -

https://www.facebook.com/groups/371263 ... malink/10154832864742048/

Posted on: 2016/11/20 16:33

« 1 2 (3)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017