Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
112 user(s) are online (90 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 112

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 9 »

Re: Fulop: despite Trump, Jersey City remains 'welcoming' to immigrants
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
There is a difference between the mass immigration of the early 20th Century and immigration today. There was no social programs so immigrants had to make it on their own. Many immigrants even built their own schools so they did not burden the local schools. Today illegal immigrants do receive many social services from subsided housing, foods stamps for their children and they do use the public schools. This website states immigrants do use social services. http://cis.org/Cost-Welfare-Immigrant-Native-Households

Posted on: 2017/3/28 17:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/5 14:16
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:
No non-citizen has a right to come to the US. Full stop.

Welcoming non-citizens to the United States has long been one of our highest priorities. Full twat.

Posted on: 2017/3/28 17:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/30 19:03
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

rescuelife wrote:
One random thought here- during WWII Jews across Europe were routinely denied Visas to enter the US (including Anne Frank's father) as there was fear they were secretly Nazis. Do you think the Yvonnes of today would have denied the Jewish refugees safe passage during WWII? Food for thought.

First, I did read about Anne Frank. That is not the same comparison. Jews do not plant bombs in our country trying to overthrow democracy. They do not practice Sharia Law. There is nothing that I have read that requires them to kill 'unbelievers.'

I fundamentally agree but I'll note something else: even though Jews during WW2 were far less dangerous (in fact, probably as much of a model refugee community as you can imagine), accepting millions of refugees at the start of a world war would have been exceptionally taxing from a resource perspective, and millions of people from foreign lands would ultimately change the culture of this one dramatically. Therefore, I don't think the US's stance of accepting some Jewish refugees but not simply accepting millions wasn't unreasonable. The fact that the US has a refugee program doesn't mean we're obligated to accept every refugee that needs a place to go, then provide them with food, shelter, clothing, etc. at taxpayer expense. No non-citizen has a right to come to the US. Full stop.

Posted on: 2017/3/28 14:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
According to the Rasmussen Poll only 35% of Americans want to live in a sanctuary city.
http://www.vdare.com/posts/rasmussen- ... -live-in-a-sanctuary-city

Posted on: 2017/3/28 13:22

Re: Will JC taxpayers foot the bill for being a sanctuary city?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/27 23:03
From Jersey City yo!
Group:
Registered Users
The feds should haul his ass off to jail for aiding and abetting.

Posted on: 2017/3/28 2:27

Re: Will JC taxpayers foot the bill for being a sanctuary city?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/30 19:03
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Sam112 wrote:
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/ag-jef ... ies-doj/story?id=46404503

My understanding is that as of earlier this year, JC became a sanctuary city. So if threats to cut DOJ federal funds to sanctuary cities come to pass, what funding will we now lose and how will our taxes be affected? What's the impact of funding for police?
Thank you Fulop for your foresight -- Now, what is it gonna cost me?

It is idiotic and pointless. If Fulop wants to fight the federal government can he please leave me out of it?

Posted on: 2017/3/27 22:01

Will JC taxpayers foot the bill for being a sanctuary city?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/1/2 2:11
Group:
Registered Users
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/ag-jef ... ies-doj/story?id=46404503

My understanding is that as of earlier this year, JC became a sanctuary city. So if threats to cut DOJ federal funds to sanctuary cities come to pass, what funding will we now lose and how will our taxes be affected? What's the impact of funding for police?
Thank you Fulop for your foresight -- Now, what is it gonna cost me?

Posted on: 2017/3/27 20:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Here is the irony, the Jersey Journal ran a story sometime ago on a woman from Africa who married a man in JC, they belong to St. Patrick's Church. She was deported. Her husband and 3 children remained here.
I also know a former teacher from St. Peter's Prep who married a teacher from Ireland who worked in the Prep. They had a son. The government deported her so he decided to follow his wife and son. I saw him several years ago. His other children are Irish and his older son is American. How many Americans have the same problem? They marry foreign nationals and the government deports them. Apparently, people who sneak in here have more rights to stay than Americans married to foreign nationals.

Posted on: 2017/2/10 22:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
A 90 day ban is hardly 'seismic'. How many countries ban Israeli Jews from entry? And permanently, not for 90 days.

Posted on: 2017/2/10 22:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
This guy is a phony, as an immigrant he should have to wait his turn like everyone else. The comments at the end of the article are quite comical but true.

http://www.nj.com/essex/index.ssf/201 ... _to_defend_one_man_f.html

Posted on: 2017/2/10 22:13

Edited by heights on 2017/2/10 22:38:09
Edited by heights on 2017/2/10 22:38:51
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users

Saint Peter's University to host immigration reform panel

By Patrick Villanova | The Jersey Journal
on February 10, 2017 at 3:21 PM, updated February 10, 2017 at 3:26 PM

Immigration reform will be the topic of a panel discussion hosted by the Guarini Institute for Government and Leadership at Saint Peter's University next week in Jersey City.

The Feb. 16 symposium, entitled "Comprehensive Immigration Reform: Seeking a Path to Citizenship" will focus on President Trump's seismic move to ban travel from seven predominantly Muslim countries for 90 days.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... t_immigration_reform.html

Posted on: 2017/2/10 22:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Obama stopped processing refugee requests for 6 months. You can call it a delay, or a 6 month ban, or whatever you want.

President Trump just wants to tighten up the vetting process from those countries that Obama identified as terror havens.

But good luck to the 'legislators' from Hudson County trying to get this bill passed-no way will Sweeney or Prieto will ever let this get out of committee because a) their own party members across the state won't go for it, and b) no way will Governor Christie sign it, lol!

Posted on: 2017/2/10 20:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Lol indeed!

a. you are responding to me with obama and iraq - I didn't say anything remotely related to that. Lol! But fine - since you've presented another whack-a-lie opportunity, I'll play. Lol!

b. the action the obama administration took was tied to real, honest to goodness intelligence (that even Kellyanne Clampett acknowledges) - not some hysterical "bad things happen in these countries" wide net bullshit. Lol!

c. the action obama took didn't block iraqis - it slowed the flow due to - wait for it - increased vetting. Lol! But obama was the worst - people were flooding over our borders and beheading babies in the streets, sharia-ing our women and putting hijabs on our statues, not staying in Trump hotels... Lol!

Defending the indefensible has to get tiring after a while, no? Lol.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fa ... 1/?utm_term=.b0b79bcb9dcb

Posted on: 2017/2/10 20:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

T-Bird wrote:
To be followed by Newark, JC, etc. putting payroll taxes in place so that those bedroom communities stop having it both ways (at least for those who work in NJ.)

I seriously doubt you would like the way your country would look like if secessionist movements take root. But you are welcome to it. The great part is you can make border security impossibly difficult - no one will want to go there.

They'd all move to the counties mentioned, plus Monmouth, Ocean, etc. Let Newark, JC, Paterson, Camden, Trenton carry their own weight-especially if they want other NJ residents to pay for their decisions to be 'sanctuary' cities.

But we didn't hear a peep when Obama blocked Iraqis from coming to the US, did we? Where were the 'activists' then, lol?

Posted on: 2017/2/10 19:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Trump-o-path:

How democracy, extortion, bullying and compulsory compliance will be adhered to under the Trump administration.

Posted on: 2017/2/10 19:16
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
To be followed by Newark, JC, etc. putting payroll taxes in place so that those bedroom communities stop having it both ways (at least for those who work in NJ.)

I seriously doubt you would like the way your country would look like if secessionist movements take root. But you are welcome to it. The great part is you can make border security impossibly difficult - no one will want to go there.

Posted on: 2017/2/10 18:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
To be followed by Morris, Sussex, Somerset, Hunterdon counties to secede from NJ so JC can pay it's own school taxes, Section 8 housing, yadda yadda!

Posted on: 2017/2/10 18:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

T-Bird wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
So these local 'legislators' want to have the rest of the taxpayers in the state make up the difference if their 'sanctuary' policies end up with loss of Federal dollars?

Why not have Hudson County residents make up the difference, lol?

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... y_cities_denied_fede.html

Or do what California has threatened to do and withhold federal tax dollars in an amount equal to the lost funding. Not sure JC has a big enough public workforce to achieve that, so it may have to wait until next January when we have a governor again.

How do Hudson County residents make up the difference? We have high property taxes to begin with, at least those without tax abatements or those not living in rent control buildings? Our taxes are high even though we receive more state funding for schools than the suburbs. Since Fulop has been in office, our debt has increased tremendously. None of that information is in his newsletter, unfortunately. I think people who make these statements do not have skin in the game, they will not be affected by raising taxes.

Posted on: 2017/2/10 18:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
So these local 'legislators' want to have the rest of the taxpayers in the state make up the difference if their 'sanctuary' policies end up with loss of Federal dollars?

Or do what California has threatened to do and withhold federal tax dollars in an amount equal to the lost funding. Not sure JC has a big enough public workforce to achieve that, so it may have to wait until next January when we have a governor again.

Posted on: 2017/2/10 18:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Union City school aid is $177 million and West New York is $93 million. Those towns have a large immigrant population. JC receives over 75% of its budget from the state on education. The state of NJ is subsidizeing students who are not citizens in their education.
However, the US citizen is at the mercy of paying taxes or losing their homes in tax liens or going to jail on the federal level. I see immigrants lining up near the JC/Union City border as day laborers. Do you think they pay income taxes or state taxes on the work they earn? No, it is a cash business.

Posted on: 2017/2/10 17:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2017/2/10 16:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/6/18 15:56
Group:
Registered Users
Got to hand it to the rubes - one thing they are good at is twisting words: "Death Tax", "Death panels", "Sanctuary City" - too bad the media plays along. "Sanctuary City" is merely an unfunded mandate, when you strip away the breathless, ignorant hype around it and look at it objectively.

ma?jor?i?ty
m??j?r?d?,m??j?r?d?/
noun
the greater number.
"in the majority of cases all will go smoothly"
synonyms: larger part/number, greater part/number, best/better part, most, more than half;

Oh, and asshat - when you use the words "majority" or "most", please make sure it conforms to what the actual meaning is, not some contorted arcane perversion.

Posted on: 2017/2/9 15:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/18 4:28
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

manu wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

manu wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

La_Verdad wrote:
Since when do majorities matter?

They matter depending on the rules of the game. They are meaningless in a national election, where the outcome is controlled by the electoral college. Pointing to the popular vote is like saying the Atlanta Falcons dominated the time of possession, therefore they should have won the Super Bowl.

However, in a municipal ballot, the scoreboard is determined by the majority.

I have a feeling that like most "progressive" causes, the majority of people even in a very liberal area like Jersey City do not support them. It just may appear that way due to an extremely biased media. Only one way to put this to the test.

Should very conservative policies that are not supported by a majority of Americans be put on the ballot as well?

You're a single issue guy. As I stated, the Muslim ban was already put on the ballot during the last election, and the scoreboard speaks for itself.

However, while we will not be redeciding what has already been decided, it is worth noting that nationwide, the Muslim ban is one of Trump's most popular executive orders, along with the subject of this thread, defunding lawless sanctuary cities.

POLL: Travel ban is one of Trump's most popular executive orders

Resized Image

http://www.businessinsider.com/trump-travel-ban-polls-2017-2

I am not. I was actually talking about;
- Abortion rights
- Background checks for gun ownership
- Tax distribution...
- and so on...

Sure. Well, if you take an introduction to civics class, you'll learn that these types of policies are enacted through legislatures and the courts, not through the ballot.

However, a local decision such as whether Jersey City should be a lawless sanctuary city could certainly be put on the ballot. And, if Jersey City is actually at a real risk of losing federal funding due to their grandstanding, I would argue they have a moral right to put the question on the ballot before we all get punished.

Well, i would argue that the council that was elected by its constituents, voted on this issue and voted unnanimously in favor so it does not have to be decided through the ballot...

I guess you'll have to accept you are leaving in a 'progressive' city...

Posted on: 2017/2/9 13:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

manu wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

manu wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

La_Verdad wrote:

They matter depending on the rules of the game. They are meaningless in a national election, where the outcome is controlled by the electoral college. Pointing to the popular vote is like saying the Atlanta Falcons dominated the time of possession, therefore they should have won the Super Bowl.

I have a feeling that like most "progressive" causes, the majority of people even in a very liberal area like Jersey City do not support them. It just may appear that way due to an extremely biased media. Only one way to put this to the test.

Should very conservative policies that are not supported by a majority of Americans be put on the ballot as well?

You're a single issue guy. As I stated, the Muslim ban was already put on the ballot during the last election, and the scoreboard speaks for itself.

However, while we will not be redeciding what has already been decided, it is worth noting that nationwide, the Muslim ban is one of Trump's most popular executive orders, along with the subject of this thread, defunding lawless sanctuary cities.

Resized Image

- Abortion rights
- Tax distribution...
- and so on...

Sure. Well, if you take an introduction to civics class, you'll learn that these types of policies are enacted through legislatures and the courts, not through the ballot.

However, a local decision such as whether Jersey City should be a lawless sanctuary city could certainly be put on the ballot. And, if Jersey City is actually at a real risk of losing federal funding due to their grandstanding, I would argue they have a moral right to put the question on the ballot before we all get punished.

Posted on: 2017/2/9 4:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

manu wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

La_Verdad wrote:

Resized Image

- Abortion rights
- Tax distribution...
- and so on...

Posted on: 2017/2/9 3:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

manu wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

La_Verdad wrote:

Resized Image

Posted on: 2017/2/9 2:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users

Jersey City council unanimously supports sanctuary city order

By Terrence T. McDonald | The Jersey Journal
Email the author | Follow on Twitter
on February 08, 2017 at 7:22 PM, updated February 08, 2017 at 8:59 PM

JERSEY CITY -- The City Council unanimously tonight approved a measure expressing support for last week's executive order designating Jersey City as a sanctuary city, with Council President Rolando Lavarro saying the action will "send a resounding message" to President Trump.

Choking back tears and quoting from the Bible, Lavarro said he is angry about Trump's recent actions targeting illegal immigrants and refugees.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... y_supports_sanctuary.html

Posted on: 2017/2/9 2:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

La_Verdad wrote:

Posted on: 2017/2/9 0:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

La_Verdad wrote:

Posted on: 2017/2/8 22:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/6/18 15:56
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2017/2/8 21:58

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 9 »