Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
92 user(s) are online (76 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 92

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Vogue Cafe - new French cafe on York & Marin
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
i agree it ain't cheap, but sometimes you just gotta spend the extra for quality, taste.

Posted on: 2017/1/18 21:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/1 0:23
From the village
Group:
Registered Users
Made With Love also would just straight up double the prices for any "donated" goods for charity events so they still made a profit. I have zero respect for the owner.

Also went there for brunch once and paid an exorbitant amount for what was received- the toast that came with my omelette was literally an inch and a half wide- it literally looked like a crouton.

Posted on: 2017/1/18 5:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JadedJC wrote:
If I recall correctly, exorbitant pricing was what did in Made With Love (used to be in the space where Choc-O-Pain now resides). They, too, had quality organic ingredients and delectable treats. Unfortunately, they greatly overestimated what people were willing to pay for a croissant.

Don't forget or underestimate another factor that precipitated the Made with Love demise: the owner engendered a lot of ill will when, right after Sandy, she decided to charge people $1 to be able to charge their devices. I get that electricity can be expensive, but charging customers to "allow" them to plug in devices, right after what was a catastrophic storm that had a major impact in the area, was a really uncool move.

Also, I would add that while Made in Love was very good, the stuff at Vogue is head and shoulders over ANYTHING I ever tried there. They are not even comparable, really.

Posted on: 2017/1/18 5:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/29 17:59
Group:
Registered Users
They are delicious... every bite has flavor, not just the center filling.

Posted on: 2017/1/18 1:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

iGreg wrote:
Maybe it's just geared for people who are willing to spend that much for something that generally costs less elsewhere.

"Ya think ! I would hope it's more like quality. No haven't tried this place will have to though. I doubt I will get past the pricing, wish I could, it won't break the bank but just can't justify shelling out that kinda dough. Hopefully it will be ample enough to absorb the shocking costs. If they survive it's because there are willing people out there, just don't know for how long...including me.

Posted on: 2017/1/18 1:30
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
If I recall correctly, exorbitant pricing was what did in Made With Love (used to be in the space where Choc-O-Pain now resides). They, too, had quality organic ingredients and delectable treats. Unfortunately, they greatly overestimated what people were willing to pay for a croissant.

Posted on: 2017/1/17 23:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/8 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
small biz owners around Paulus Hook have expensive leases and these guys are cooking with high quality ingredients. I'm happy to pay a bit more for the real deal.

Posted on: 2017/1/17 22:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
$7 for a ham and cheese croissant? The Flaky Tart in Atlantic Highlands make an outrageous one, and charge $3.75.

Posted on: 2017/1/17 20:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/11 14:10
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Taste is fantastic but the sticker shock is real and has set in for me.

They make an awesome brie and chicken sandwich on a small baquette that along with a coffee was around $20 eat in.

Next visit grabbed 2 ham and cheese croissants to go and I was hit with a $14 charge.

Maybe it's just geared for people who are willing to spend that much for something that generally costs less elsewhere.

Posted on: 2017/1/17 20:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Stopped by yesterday for what is my third visit. As usual, excellent pastries. It is definitely expensive but, if you can get past the sticker shock, their stuff is definitely worth every penny.

Pain au chocolat: $5 (really, really good)
Mille-feuille: $7.25 (impossibly flaky, with an excellent custard cream that was both subtle and sweet)

It was my second visit with a close French friend, and she claims theirs are the best French pastries she has had in the US. I just know I have enjoyed everything I have tried there, and will continue to patronize them.

Posted on: 2017/1/17 19:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/8 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
Highly recommend Vogue Cafe. Croissants and sandwiches are made on site by very friendly owner/operators.

So many of the places opening around DTJC are run by professional restaurant groups. It's refreshing to have some new owner operated places that deliver great quality and a bit more authenticity.

Posted on: 2016/12/17 21:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/11 14:53
Group:
Registered Users
Largest quiche slices in all JC, get on board while you can.

Posted on: 2016/11/22 21:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/9 18:01
From Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
@TheBigGuy...agreed! Vogue is the real thing, not pretending to be 'euro-asian fusion'. Pricing is fair as you are paying for high quality ingredients and all is baked and prepared on site

Posted on: 2016/11/22 19:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/9 18:01
From Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Looks like we have general agreement that this place is great! We went there last weekend hoping to buy a loaf of bread (not that kind of bakery) but instead had cookies and expresso. The treats were to die for, and the atmosphere very nice and warm. We watched and talked to the Chef while he was making a ham-filled quiche and for sure plan to go back soon.

Very authentic and inviting place.

Posted on: 2016/11/22 19:35

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/5/25 7:29
Group:
Registered Users
Went there with a friend yesterday. Highly recommended!

Posted on: 2016/11/22 15:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/4 21:55
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Just tried Vogue. Quiches were super yummy as well as the right-out-of the-oven croissants (they have several varieties, hazelnut/chocolate, almond, coconut and even pistachios). Their coffee was also quite good although it did not beat Prato imho. Overall impression is very positive. Service was a little slow but they will get there. Choc-o-Pain has some competition but I would say they have different things so people will have more options depending on their needs.

Posted on: 2016/11/19 21:33

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/1/12 3:50
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

TonyTwoPoops wrote:
Quote:

TheBigGuy wrote:
Its a brand new bakery in the neighborhood... please stop the political bs... enjoy a coffee and croissant.

You're the only person on here encouraging "political bs" by crying it at the simple mention of another country. Relax.

JC Eats- you run a great blog! I read it pretty regularly and think it's great resource for JC food stuffs.

Thank you, I really appreciate it and I'm glad it's useful!

Posted on: 2016/11/18 5:07

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/3/3 21:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

HamiltonParker wrote:
Stopped in yesterday and had to exercise considerable discipline to prevent myself from buying every single thing on the display. Settled for a pain au chocolat and a plain croissant - simply amazing. The bill was $7.00 - which I thought was completely fair. By comparison - has anyone recently purchased pastries at Smith & Chang - want to support them but pricing = crazytown.

The warm scent of butter hits you as you walk in and the space and it has been repainted and fixed up since Tommy's was there.

I love Choco Pain - but have to say that competition is a good thing and this new spot is certainly a welcome newcomer to the area. I wish them well and will be back again with a larger appetite.

Yay for all of us.

I think that's a fair price for the pastry. Butter's expensive, dammit, and I'll pay more for the good stuff. I like to encourage people who aren't cutting corners. Also, that coffee in the photo with the Pain aux Raisins is a pretty decent size. I'll be checking it out.

Posted on: 2016/11/17 22:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Suggest you really go back, reread my question about store hours
All the country stuff started after somebody hypersensitive took my question to be a slam on France. That person later apologized.
My final statement about enjoying a coffee and croissant was to move away from political stuff and focus on something nice in the neighborhood.
BTW, thanks to the person that did post the hours. The pastries are very good. Encourage others to visit Vogue.

Quote:

TonyTwoPoops wrote:
Quote:

TheBigGuy wrote:
Its a brand new bakery in the neighborhood... please stop the political bs... enjoy a coffee and croissant.

You're the only person on here encouraging "political bs" by crying it at the simple mention of another country. Relax.

JC Eats- you run a great blog! I read it pretty regularly and think it's great resource for JC food stuffs.

Posted on: 2016/11/17 16:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/7/7 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
Stopped in yesterday and had to exercise considerable discipline to prevent myself from buying every single thing on the display. Settled for a pain au chocolat and a plain croissant - simply amazing. The bill was $7.00 - which I thought was completely fair. By comparison - has anyone recently purchased pastries at Smith & Chang - want to support them but pricing = crazytown.

The warm scent of butter hits you as you walk in and the space and it has been repainted and fixed up since Tommy's was there.

I love Choco Pain - but have to say that competition is a good thing and this new spot is certainly a welcome newcomer to the area. I wish them well and will be back again with a larger appetite.

Yay for all of us.

Posted on: 2016/11/17 15:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/1 0:23
From the village
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

TheBigGuy wrote:

Posted on: 2016/11/17 15:25

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/1/12 3:50
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Genuinely not trying to shill so I'm not going to post a link, but I have more info on this place on my blog if anyone wanted to know more - I think it comes up if you just google Vogue Cafe Jersey City.

To answer the questions I saw below, they are newly opened so hours aren't entirely set as they determine business flow, but basically what I got is from around 7:30-8am-around 6pm for now, every day.

Pricing was definitely a little bit high (tea wasn't too expensive but coffee was a little high), but I will say the pastries are huge. You're not going to get a two or three bite croissant and they are very good.

Posted on: 2016/11/17 4:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/11/14 0:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
hero69 wrote: Quote:
WhoElseCouldIBe wrote: Quote:
TheBigGuy wrote: Quote:
TheBigGuy wrote: Notice the store hours? Quote:
paulushooker wrote:

I stopped in here today and I could not believe the pastries. They are baked on the premises by the owner (who is French) and were still hot from the oven.

They have espresso and 6 or 7 different varieties of French pastries as well as sanwdiches but no French bread.

Incredibly nice people too. They're in Tommy 2 Scoops' old place at 177 York St. I'm so happy!

Pastry

Ever run a small retail business before?
That was helpful... now do you have the answer to my question or are you just being a jerk? This is a specialized "retail store" and they might not have evening hours.
Sorry, that you were making a flippant comment about the French not working a lot hours :)
the french worker might not work as many hours as us workers, but he/she is almost as productive as the american worker. quality, not quantity, sweetie!
I never said otherwise, sweetie.

Posted on: 2016/11/13 23:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/11 14:10
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
In life there is real and there is fake.

Vogue Cafe is serving up real.

Y'all other bitchez can go visit Talde or some other fake shit.

Posted on: 2016/11/13 23:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
paulushooker wrote:

I stopped in here today and I could not believe the pastries. They are baked on the premises by the owner (who is French) and were still hot from the oven.

They have espresso and 6 or 7 different varieties of French pastries as well as sanwdiches but no French bread.

Incredibly nice people too. They're in Tommy 2 Scoops' old place at 177 York St. I'm so happy!

Pastry

That was helpful... now do you have the answer to my question or are you just being a jerk? This is a specialized "retail store" and they might not have evening hours.
Sorry, that you were making a flippant comment about the French not working a lot hours :)
the french worker might not work as many hours as us workers, but he/she is almost as productive as the american worker. quality, not quantity, sweetie!

Posted on: 2016/11/13 23:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
paulushooker wrote:

Pastry

Posted on: 2016/11/13 20:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Fatlilpanda wrote:
I have gone twice so far and each time we had 2 cafe au lait and 2 fancy, large, fresh, warm croissants (chocolate *favorite, date and walnut, and cheese danish with brown sugar... all very good). Both times the total came to $18 and change. Everything we have had has been absolutely worth every penny. If you haven't tried it yet go now! SOOOO GOOD!!!

Thanks for the answer, now I won't be stunned when I go there...ouch ! A little dear if you ask me, remember Made With Love Bakery with there super high prices ? Yeah they're gone. I'll give this place a shot though, just can't digest spending $9 for a tea / croissant. Hopefully it will be an ample amount to justify it's charge.

Posted on: 2016/11/13 19:36
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
paulushooker wrote:

Pastry

Posted on: 2016/11/13 14:28

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/3/17 13:43
Group:
Registered Users
I have gone twice so far and each time we had 2 cafe au lait and 2 fancy, large, fresh, warm croissants (chocolate *favorite, date and walnut, and cheese danish with brown sugar... all very good). Both times the total came to $18 and change. Everything we have had has been absolutely worth every penny. If you haven't tried it yet go now! SOOOO GOOD!!!

Posted on: 2016/11/13 3:18

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017