Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
109 user(s) are online (73 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 109

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Buying in Heights??? Good investment.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/1/2 2:11
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Chris_NJ wrote:
Quote:

Sam112 wrote:
Heard of plans for a larger multi-unit building on Beach

Do you know where on Beach this would be? l live on this street and can't picture where this would be.

I did see that up on JFK that Ace Taxi is gone and the adjoining lots had house demolished so something must be going here/

I believe the address is 64 Beach - the house with the large parking area that has been empty for over a year -- Between Kennedy and Montrose. I heard, after the fact, that there was a meeting on plans for this property -- Lot of concerns about parking. I believe Rich Boggiano may have been involved in getting the community meeting together.
Not sure what is replacing Ace Taxi - it would be nice to get some more restaurants on the Blvd. Vinnie's Pizzeria reopened under new management and is pretty good.

Posted on: 2016/11/8 3:39

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/3/27 20:21
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Sam112 wrote:
Heard of plans for a larger multi-unit building on Beach

Do you know where on Beach this would be? l live on this street and can't picture where this would be.

I did see that up on JFK that Ace Taxi is gone and the adjoining lots had house demolished so something must be going here/

Posted on: 2016/11/8 2:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Sam112 wrote:
Quote:

brewster wrote:
It's not the transit that keeps down the density, it's the R-1 zoning. You can have a lot in the middle of 4-5 floor 4-10 unit buildings that once had a similar building and only be able to build a 35' 2 family without a variance. When was the last time a new 20+ unit was built in the Heights, not a factory redevelopment? There's plenty of lovely older buildings like that, but none new to my knowledge.

Not sure if this is beginning to change - Heard of plans for a larger multi-unit building on Beach and and looks like there'll be some rebuilding where Hudson Market (?? if that's the name of the large gardening and fruit place on Kennedy Blvd). Have not heard anything recently on the multi-unit building that was being planned on Central Avenue.
Personally, I actually like the fact that the Heights does not have the density of other parts of the JC. At least for now, there's a much nicer vibe as you leave JSq, get past 139, and start to enter the Heights.. more of a neighborhood feel.

I agree with you Sam: Add the lighting store on Bowers, and the vacant lot on Spruce. All developments and not knowing if they will be condos or rentals. I always prided myself living in the Heights knowing the congestion is much less than the rest of the city. I already see how the traffic is getting worse. Unfortunately no one goes to the planning board meetings to oppose these variances and proposals. Plus we loose a great source of fruits, vegetables, and plants, plus much more.

Posted on: 2016/11/7 22:51
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
It's not the transit that keeps down the density, it's the R-1 zoning. You can have a lot in the middle of 4-5 floor 4-10 unit buildings that once had a similar building and only be able to build a 35' 2 family without a variance. When was the last time a new 20+ unit was built in the Heights, not a factory redevelopment? There's plenty of lovely older buildings like that, but none new to my knowledge.

Not sure if this is beginning to change - Heard of plans for a larger multi-unit building on Beach and and looks like there'll be some rebuilding where Hudson Market (?? if that's the name of the large gardening and fruit place on Kennedy Blvd). Have not heard anything recently on the multi-unit building that was being planned on Central Avenue.
Personally, I actually like the fact that the Heights does not have the density of other parts of the JC. At least for now, there's a much nicer vibe as you leave JSq, get past 139, and start to enter the Heights.. more of a neighborhood feel.

Posted on: 2016/11/7 22:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:
the dearth of mass transit infrastructure means the real estate will never be valuable enough to develop the kind of density, and mix up the demographic, enough for that to happen like it has in other places like NYC, DTJC.

Posted on: 2016/11/6 15:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
It depends, IMO, on whether you are looking to buy a house or a condo. The Heights, from what I have seen, is a tale of two markets - 1/2 family houses vs. condos, with houses being the better investment.

I purchased a condo (650 s.f. "mini loft") in the Heights 8 years ago in one of the more established buildings (elevator, parking) and it's increased in value to the extent it's worth more than what I paid for it, but it's debatable as an investment asset vs. other areas, and has performed a lot worse than comparable places I looked at in Crown Heights in Brooklyn.

Properties geared towards a more suburban/family-centric demographic will do better as an investment here, IMO, owing to the character of the Heights. While there is a sprinkling of new cafes etc. that appeal to "newcomers", the lack of interconnected mass transit within JC and to/from Manhattan will probably discourage singles/couples without children/those without cars/those hoping to find or recreate an all-inclusive urban vibe like you get in downtown NYC or Brooklyn - this being the demographic being priced out of NYC who would likely buy condos.

The "Bayonne Boxes" no-one seems to like will do well in the Heights as an investment, as a) they include parking (the Heights is very car-dependent) and b) you can rent the 2nd unit to another family with a car, No-one need walk further than the grocery store, and the lack of trendy cafes, nightlife, etc. will not be missed.

The Heights is certainly safe, and pleasant if you are not looking for a city "vibe". Will it gentrify - assuming one is looking for that, of finds it desirable? IMO, probably not - the dearth of mass transit infrastructure means the real estate will never be valuable enough to develop the kind of density, and mix up the demographic, enough for that to happen like it has in other places like NYC, DTJC.

Posted on: 2016/11/6 14:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
jersey city should institute a moratorium on those fugly bayonne boxes in the heights. i never thought they could invent something more hideous than those vinyl houses which are somewhat comparatively charming

But that would interfere with people's right! The right to build the cheapest POS with the highest possible markup. As long as people buy them they will build them, and presumably outbid better developers for the lot since they build so cheap. There is a tipping point somewhere, since they no longer build them Downtown. I don't know if it's market or taste driven.

Posted on: 2016/11/3 1:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
jersey city should institute a moratorium on those fugly bayonne boxes in the heights. i never thought they could invent something more hideous than those vinyl houses which are somewhat comparatively charming

Posted on: 2016/11/2 17:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jerseymom wrote:
Gangs in JC:
464 Mob Piru, Elm Street Piru,Tree Top Piru, Fruit Town Brims, Neighborhood Rollin 20's, G-Shine, 9 Tek, 252 Sex Money Murder, Hoover 52, Neighborhood Rollin 60's, Neighborhood Rollin 30's, Latin Kings, Netas, DDP, Trintarios, Brolik, VSOP, R.O.C, Lex Mob, Wetlandz, Darkside, Gun Shot Towers, Bullet Town, V-Block, Marion Mob, V-Dub, B-Block, Franklin Mob, Summit Mobb- Source

Thanks for the link to the map, it is scary but cool.

Given the number of gangs that originated in Brooklyn, the Bronx, and NYC generally (Rikers Island) it's pretty clear Jersey City could use a lot more gentrification!

Posted on: 2016/11/2 16:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I know that a couple of years ago there were some problems with kids at Dickenson High School on Palisades. But, I have not heard of any major issues there lately. There was a recent "meet and greet" with North District police officers over at Wonder Bagels on Central Ave. and one of the officers I spoke with mentioned some work he was doing with teens at Dickenson. -- Perhaps such outreach is working?

I cannot speak to the issue Jersey Mom had over on Franklin and Palisades -- Again, I like the Western section of the Heights better. Having said that, I know the Eastern end of the Heights is getting a lot of attention from realtors. Not sure if it's related to rebranding (Arts District) or the 100 steps, etc. but it seems to be changing for the better. In general, I do not think that gangs is a major problem in the Heights. If you go to Heights community meetings, most of the complaints are on Parking and speeding cars. The article that JerseyMom linked to cites other areas of JC (South of Montgomery and West of Kennedy).

Anyway, the best way to get a feel for the neighborhood is to walk around at different times. That's what I did. I've seen incredibly beautiful houses in other areas of JC, but felt the vibe very quickly change for the worst within a 2 block walk. I'll stick to the Heights.

Posted on: 2016/11/2 3:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

jerseymom wrote:
[url=http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/2016/06/gangs_fueling_jersey_city_violence_residents_dont.html]This June JJ story highlights some of the areas where gang activity is on the rise.

I gotta point out that the "6 days of violence" map shows all of it below Communipaw.

Posted on: 2016/10/29 3:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

Dinger wrote:
Different sects? Seriously, they are thug kids from the projects. Not a nat geo special.

I would give jerseymom a pass on that one; she is always a very measured person in her posts and I don't think she has ever posted anything inflammatory or insulting. Also, I think what she meant was clear: in using sect, she was trying to say faction.

Thanks Bodhipooh - appreciate this. I should have used the correct terminology which is "set," which also indicates a faction from a larger gang group. For example, Sex Money Murder, Nine Trey, Fruit Town Brims, and G-Shine are all sets of the Bloods. How they operate is very individual per each gang and each set, and even sets within the same gang can have conflicts with each other.

While Dinger is partially right - some of these gangs are smaller, unaffiliated groups of kids who are attempting to be wanna-g's - it is naive not to take into account that JC does have some representation in larger, more established "name-brand" gangs like the Latin Kings, Crips, and Bloods. (see below for full list)

When I saw my neighborhood changing in the Heights (Webster/Franklin/Hutton), the graffiti was really the first thing that gave me a hint of gang activity - and that still stands throughout the city.

This June JJ story highlights some of the areas where gang activity is on the rise. Also, take a look at The 2010 NJ Gang Survey for a little more insight into how gangs operate and what type of crimes they engage in. It really is an interesting read.

Gangs in JC:
464 Mob Piru, Elm Street Piru,Tree Top Piru, Fruit Town Brims, Neighborhood Rollin 20's, G-Shine, 9 Tek, 252 Sex Money Murder, Hoover 52, Neighborhood Rollin 60's, Neighborhood Rollin 30's, Latin Kings, Netas, DDP, Trintarios, Brolik, VSOP, R.O.C, Lex Mob, Wetlandz, Darkside, Gun Shot Towers, Bullet Town, V-Block, Marion Mob, V-Dub, B-Block, Franklin Mob, Summit Mobb- Source

Posted on: 2016/10/28 22:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Dinger wrote:
Different sects? Seriously, they are thug kids from the projects. Not a nat geo special.

I would give jerseymom a pass on that one; she is always a very measured person in her posts and I don't think she has ever posted anything inflammatory or insulting. Also, I think what she meant was clear: in using sect, she was trying to say faction.

Posted on: 2016/10/28 21:53

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/4/5 1:44
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/10/28 3:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/8 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
excellent advice. If you can get an officer's attention when they are not busy they can be great resources. Also try to find some old timers who have seen the trends come and go. Walking around on a nice day you can always find some people willing to talk about their neighborhood.

My take is all of JC is a bit ahead of itself, but time will tell. Rates are a big variable and the degree to which Brooklyn holds up or gets cheaper will also directly impact JC.

Posted on: 2016/10/27 20:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCbound10010 wrote:
Quote:

jerseymom wrote:
Quote:

JCbound10010 wrote:
Was starting to look at property in the Western Slope and wanted to find out info on that area's development and safety. Some streets are beautiful while some need some improvements. It appears that much of JC is starting to turn over and wondered if the Heights will be doing the same.

Will there be issues coming home late at night on certain work days? Is it safe?

Is it best to take bus or jitney or walk?

Any help is appreciative.

We lived in the Heights for several years. Two things drove us out - the gang issues around Webster/Franklin and Palisades and the schools. Don't know if the gang issues have resolved over the years (I still see a lot of gang graffiti on Palisades). There were also a lot of quality of life crimes that became bothersome. The quality of the available public schools were the real issue and ultimately led us to move. My daughter was a newborn when we moved in, and, in retrospect, I really wished I had done better research into the school system. Just my two cents.

When did you move out? I havent heard much on gangs.

Google "Jersey City gangs" and read up a bit. You can also use the same search terms on NJ.com. There are anywhere from 35 to 40 active gangs in Jersey City and they are NOT all in Greenville. Dickinson HS has active gangs on their campus and they have sects in the Heights.

Here's a little skirmish that happened there in 2014:
http://www.nj.com/jjournal-news/index ... ay_gang_violence_hit.html

Watch for the graffiti- it's the way the different sects communicate and compete with each other.

I'm not trying to be a Debbie Downer. Just be aware of what you're willing to put up with and how the area will serve you if you decide to raise a family here. Spend some time in your prospective neighborhood at different hours. See what the street looks like in the AM, when the local school dismisses, on a Friday night. Go to the local precinct and talk to the cops. Do your due diligence.

Posted on: 2016/10/27 19:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

HamSandwichPark wrote:
I'm not going to say you are too late but if you plan to buy in the heights prepare yourself for bidding wars with "developers". There is lots of inventory but also lots of unrealistic sellers. Good luck.

This was my experience from a few years back when looking at inventory in the northeast area of Bergen Lafayette: some sellers were literally holding out for million dollar offers on properties that were worth 100K, or less, including some that were in dire need of a complete demolition. Those are the the type of homeowners that are holding back, and essentially preventing, the gentrification and general improvement of the neighborhood.

Meh. As Omar would say, it's all in the game. There's always price holdouts in falling markets and price optimists in rising ones. It all works out as "must sell" situations set new comp levels. I can't blame someone for holding out if they can, look at all the owners of Manhattan surface parking lots who held for decades and have now seriously cashed in.

Completely agreed: each homeowner is free to do with their properties as they wish, within the law. But, I couldn't help shaking my head whenever I came across someone who truly believed someone would give them a cool one million because they had "heard that real estate in JC is on fire and getting a million was easy/reasonable". Ultimately, what happened? A bunch of them missed a chance to score during the last upswing, and I am sure many will also miss the recent run up. BeLa is a nice neighborhood with great potential and, for those close to the light rail, it has the advantage of an easy, quick commute to Exchange Place / Harborside, as well as NYC. I see lots of newcomers snapping up some properties and walking around you can lots of gut renovations and other improvements.

Posted on: 2016/10/27 18:06

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/27 21:44
From Newport
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jerseymom wrote:
Quote:

JCbound10010 wrote:
Was starting to look at property in the Western Slope and wanted to find out info on that area's development and safety. Some streets are beautiful while some need some improvements. It appears that much of JC is starting to turn over and wondered if the Heights will be doing the same.

Will there be issues coming home late at night on certain work days? Is it safe?

We lived in the Heights for several years. Two things drove us out - the gang issues around Webster/Franklin and Palisades and the schools. Don't know if the gang issues have resolved over the years (I still see a lot of gang graffiti on Palisades). There were also a lot of quality of life crimes that became bothersome. The quality of the available public schools were the real issue and ultimately led us to move. My daughter was a newborn when we moved in, and, in retrospect, I really wished I had done better research into the school system. Just my two cents.

When did you move out? I havent heard much on gangs.

Posted on: 2016/10/27 18:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCbound10010 wrote:

Posted on: 2016/10/27 17:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

HamSandwichPark wrote:
I'm not going to say you are too late but if you plan to buy in the heights prepare yourself for bidding wars with "developers". There is lots of inventory but also lots of unrealistic sellers. Good luck.

This was my experience from a few years back when looking at inventory in the northeast area of Bergen Lafayette: some sellers were literally holding out for million dollar offers on properties that were worth 100K, or less, including some that were in dire need of a complete demolition. Those are the the type of homeowners that are holding back, and essentially preventing, the gentrification and general improvement of the neighborhood.

Meh. As Omar would say, it's all in the game. There's always price holdouts in falling markets and price optimists in rising ones. It all works out as "must sell" situations set new comp levels. I can't blame someone for holding out if they can, look at all the owners of Manhattan surface parking lots who held for decades and have now seriously cashed in.

Posted on: 2016/10/27 16:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

HamSandwichPark wrote:

Posted on: 2016/10/27 12:19

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/7/23 2:25
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/10/27 12:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

JCbound10010 wrote:
Thanks so much! More and more of what I read is making me feel positive. It has never felt unsafe to me.

Oh, it's safe. The battle is against ugly architecture, not crime.

Posted on: 2016/10/25 21:47

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/27 21:44
From Newport
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks so much! More and more of what I read is making me feel positive. It has never felt unsafe to me.

Posted on: 2016/10/25 19:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Sam112 wrote:
FYI - there is a city-wide property reassessment underway -- Not sure what will come of it. Rumor is Downtown JC will be hit the hardest. But, if you find something with very low taxes (e.g., under $6,000??), then factor in taxes may be increased.

Don't be alarmed if you're looking in the Heights, far fewer properties are undertaxed there. Simply compare the price to the tax, if the tax is over 2% of price you should not expect any dramatic rise from the reval, perhaps even a drop if it's much higher. The properties paying only 1% are the ones that will see significant rises.

Posted on: 2016/10/25 19:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I moved to the Heights about 11 years ago and am very happy. As Brewster mentioned, prices are definitely on the rise but it is one of the JC areas that (1) is still affordable and (2), perhaps as important (if not more so), is fairly safe without the major crimes that other "on-the-rise" locations have.

The east side of the Heights is getting a lot of attention lately (steps/light rail elevator to Hoboken), but I like the western end of the Heights much better. Many blocks have a good neighborhood feel and people know one another. Also, have nice resources (Pershing Field Park/Pool, Reservoir, etc.). Walk around at different times and see where you feel more comfortable. As Heights mentions, some good neighborhood associations too.

Lot of new places starting to pop up (Gelato and Wonder Bagels on Central, Croissant place on Summit Ave). Hopefully, many more to come.

Buses and frequent jitneys to/from Journal Sq and Port Authority so I find transportation is pretty good. While the jitneys can kind of feel gritty, they run frequently and are cheap (I think it's now $1.50 to JSq an $3.25 to NY with discounted tickets available at Port Authority) .. and they ran even when the PATH was down during much of Sandy. If you are on the lower end of the Heights (e.g. under Manhattan Ave. or so), then even the walk (or bike ride) to JSq is pretty easy.

As for a RE crash, who know what will happen?? Others will say a stock market crash is more likely (so real estate may be a better move?). Not sure what effect the election will have. But for now, mortgage rates are still great. Your real challenge may be inventory -- Not a lot on the market.

FYI - there is a city-wide property reassessment underway -- Not sure what will come of it. Rumor is Downtown JC will be hit the hardest. But, if you find something with very low taxes (e.g., under $6,000??), then factor in taxes may be increased.

Posted on: 2016/10/25 18:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/9 1:00
From Downtown JC
Group:
Registered Users
just wait until the next RE crash.

Posted on: 2016/10/25 15:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Anywhere on the Slope is a good pick. It's quiet, mainly one and two family homes. Not a busy area nor congested with much commerce. Easy access to get in and out of. I would suggest attending one of the neighborhood associations such as the Nelson Avenue Block Association they meet on the fourth Tuesday of the month at 7pm in the St. Anne's auditorium 3545 Kennedy Blvd. on the Congress St. side.

Posted on: 2016/10/25 2:18
Get on your bikes and ride !

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/8 18:36
Group:
Registered Users
The Heights is on the rise, with the cost of downtown out of reach for some.The Heights is an alternative. In 5 years you won't recognize it. You can see already coffee shops popping up. Boutique gyms opening up. Won't be long until quality restaurants start opening.

Posted on: 2016/10/25 2:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/1 14:07
From Earth
Group:
Registered Users
Take a walk in the Island area anytime and you'll find a real nice area with easy proximity to downtown and the Square.

Posted on: 2016/10/25 1:37

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017