Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
111 user(s) are online (96 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 111

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: 10-Year-Old Boy Struck By Bus on JFK/Neptune
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
"If you can't see how jitneys negatively impact the neighborhoods they purport to serve, well... I can't help you with that."

Well, I don't. Our neighborhoods are being ruined by Jersey City's inability to lead us out of complacent, car dependency.

"You seem to think that the ends (of getting you somewhere cheaply) justify the means."

To be clear, jitneys cost $1.50 locally in Jersey City, vs NJTransit buses which are $1.60. Not much cheaper.

But getting where you need to go, yes. That is an issue an it's important. I can't stress this enough - jitneys have become, for better or worse, an integral component of mass transit in Jersey City. While I'm 110% behind making them safer and getting bad jitney drivers from behind the wheel, I will stand against any effort to shut down the jitneys - the Fulop administration is clueless and incompetent; the NJTransit - like the Port Authority - answers to no-one. If the jitneys are banned I can guarantee you there will be zero improvements to traffic safety, planning, or mass transit to accommodate the need.

Posted on: 2016/10/19 0:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:
As far as supporting the jitney industry - I would ask my car-centric fellow JC'ers like bodhipoo and jerseymom what alternatives to jitneys you can offer for many people?

Car centric? You must have me confused with someone else. Unless, of course, it is your opinion that a car owner is by definition singularly focused on car issues, or only cares about their ability to keep and drive a car in JC. If you were to pay attention to my posting history, you would see that I regularly bash those who are focused on parking matters, or those who oppose measures and suggestions to implement more pedestrian (and, bike!) friendly solutions. Other than my once or twice per week work-related car trips, I pretty much get around by bike, or walking. Heck, I have mulled joining my local Neighborhood Association board just so I can oppose its leader, whose mission in life seems to be the preservation of parking spots in the area.

As for providing suggestions and solutions to replace jitneys, I believe you covered that fairly well: better enforcement of existing rules/laws should improve conditions so existing buses can get around better. But, in my opinion, solutions shouldn't have to come from those who criticize or detest jitneys. If you can't see how jitneys negatively impact the neighborhoods they purport to serve, well... I can't help you with that. I think reckless drivers who speed routinely, who drive recklessly without regard to those around them, and who continually find themselves involved in traffic incidents, accidents and other events, such as the one that started this thread, should not be on the road. You seem to think that the ends (of getting you somewhere cheaply) justify the means.

Posted on: 2016/10/18 21:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
Quote:

jerseymom wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Anybody surprised that the "bus" involved in the accident is actually a jitney? Think about that the next time you decide to board one because of convenience or price. You are supporting (and, really, encouraging) a handful of companies that have ZERO regard for the communities they purport to service. Jitneys are a plague, and unsafe for those riding one. But, I am sure lots here will keep continue to turn a blind eye to this since, after all, it doesn't impact them and, hey, it's only $1.

The jitneys are a scourge. Drive behind one for a while and watch their antics. They are some of the craziest drivers on the road, IMHO. This news story from 1010WINS notes that the jitney driver was taken away in handcuffs.

Cracking down and banning these buses is long overdue.

Cracking down on ALL unsafe drivers is long overdue. Mayor Fulop, aided and abetted by his police department and certain of his council - either REFUSE or are INCAPABLE of enforcing traffic regulations in this city. My day-to-day experience (which does not involve a car) shows me jitneys are just a small part of the problem.

As far as supporting the jitney industry - I would ask my car-centric fellow JC'ers like bodhipoo and jerseymom what alternatives to jitneys you can offer for many people? Thanks to disinvestment in mass transit, and catering to people imposing their car-centric lifestyle on densely populated Jersey City, there are few convenient options for getting around. When my app tells me 2 or 3 #87 buses are coming in 10 or 15 minutes (as they are invariably stuck in traffic), I will opt for the jitney every time. That said, should the city start enforcing no parking in bus stops, blocking intersections, double-parking, no-standing zones, etc., and the NJTransit buses can actually be on time, I'll boycott the jitneys.

Posted on: 2016/10/18 20:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Defense Attorney Edgar Navarrete said that his client, Raul Delatorre-Galaza, "broke down in tears" when they met ahead of a hearing where his bail was lowered from $50,000 to $30,000.

Feds Say Air Bag Parts Maker is Stonewalling Crash Probe
Delatorre-Galaza is accused of driving with a suspended license when he hit and killed George Gonzalez at Neptune Avenue at John F. Kennedy Boulevard on Friday morning.

"He feels horrible," Navarrete said. "Certainly it's a situation that's very tragic for those involved."

At the bail hearing Monday, prosecutors revealed that Delatorre-Galaza's commercial license had been suspended four times, while his personal license was suspended five times.

"He never should have been behind the wheel," one prosecutor said.

Navarrete countered by explaining that the suspensions were mostly for unpaid traffic tickets, and that his client didn't know about the most recent suspension until Friday's fatality.
But Gonzalez's family said they think that the charges against Delatorre-Galaza should be upgraded to murder.

Last week, Gonzalez's uncle told reporters that the bus was speeding at the time.

Read more: http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/ ... lez-Avenue-397362851.html

Posted on: 2016/10/18 12:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
By Michaelangelo Conte | The Jersey Journal
Follow on Twitter
on October 17, 2016 at 5:30 PM, updated October 17, 2016 at 5:38 PM

The commuter bus driver charged with killing an 11-year-old boy on Friday while driving with a suspended license has been in 10 accidents and had nine license suspensions, an official said today.

Raul O. Delatorre-Galarza, 44, of Elizabeth, was behind the wheel of a commuter van at about 8 a.m. Friday when it struck George Gonzalez as he crossed Kennedy Boulevard at Neptune Avenue on his way to catch his school bus, authorities said.

The 11-year-old, who lived with his aunt nearby, was pronounced dead a short time later at Jersey City Medical Center.

More

Posted on: 2016/10/17 22:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/10/15 0:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jerseymom wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Anybody surprised that the "bus" involved in the accident is actually a jitney? Think about that the next time you decide to board one because of convenience or price. You are supporting (and, really, encouraging) a handful of companies that have ZERO regard for the communities they purport to service. Jitneys are a plague, and unsafe for those riding one. But, I am sure lots here will keep continue to turn a blind eye to this since, after all, it doesn't impact them and, hey, it's only $1.

The jitneys are a scourge. Drive behind one for a while and watch their antics. They are some of the craziest drivers on the road, IMHO. This news story from 1010WINS notes that the jitney driver was taken away in handcuffs.

Cracking down and banning these buses is long overdue.

Posted on: 2016/10/14 22:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
When Bret Schundler was mayor he had a beef with the County Executive Bobby J. When county cops made arrests, the fines went to the local municipality, in this case it went to JC. But the County was paying for the cops salary. Schundler said we do not need County cops. So the County Executive decided to cut the cops from the budget. After all why give money to JC when it benefits the local mayor while the local mayor is giving the County Executive problems. Well this is the result, no one watches Kennedy Blvd and Tonnele Ave. The traffic goes fast.

Posted on: 2016/10/14 20:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:

Posted on: 2016/10/14 20:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/10/14 20:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/5/7 3:26
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mfadam wrote:
I can't even begin to understand how hard this must be for the boy's family.

Everyone knows Kennedy Blvd is very dangerous. Yet no serious traffic calming occurs. Yeah county road versus local jurisdiction blah blah blah. JC step up and work on the problem!

Same goes for Grand St, Montgomery etc where you see maniacal driving on a regular basis...

Very sad.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... emands_a_safer_jfk_b.html

Something has to be done in the interim, even if it means lining it with cops and making it a giant speed trap.

Posted on: 2016/10/14 18:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/8 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
I can't even begin to understand how hard this must be for the boy's family.

Everyone knows Kennedy Blvd is very dangerous. Yet no serious traffic calming occurs. Yeah county road versus local jurisdiction blah blah blah. JC step up and work on the problem!

Same goes for Grand St, Montgomery etc where you see maniacal driving on a regular basis...

Posted on: 2016/10/14 18:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
(Another tragedy on JFK - my prayers to this little boy's family. Such a beautiful child.)

The 11-year-old boy who was hit by a commuter bus this morning on one of Hudson County's busiest roads has died, Hudson County Sheriff Frank Schillari confirmed.

The child, identified as George Gonzalez, was rushed to Jersey City Medical Center around 8:20 a.m. in "extremely critical condition" after being struck by the bus at the intersection of Kennedy Boulevard and Neptune Avenue.

Link to Story - JJ

Resized Image

Posted on: 2016/10/14 18:07

10-Year-Old Boy Struck By Bus on JFK/Neptune
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
By Patrick Villanova | The Jersey Journal
on October 14, 2016 at 8:58 AM, updated October 14, 2016 at 10:32 AM

A 10-year-old boy is in critical condition at Jersey City Medical Center after being hit by a bus on one of Hudson County's busiest roads, officials said.

The child was struck at the intersection of Kennedy Boulevard and Neptune Avenue shortly after 8 a.m., although specifics of the crash are not yet known.

The boy, who was with his mother at the time, was taken to JCMC this morning in "extremely critical" condition, hospital spokesman Mark Rabson said.

More

Posted on: 2016/10/14 14:38

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017