Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
118 user(s) are online (102 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 118

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Colonette Diner comes back to life as La Mexicana….
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

MDM wrote:
Given the bloodbath that has been brick and mortar retail these last years, who knows if the mall be even financially viable in the near future.

What happens if/when Sears and JC Penny close up?

Wegmans!!! Cabela's!!! (Or at least a Dicks or REI)
Selling commodities is a loser, you need to sell stuff people want to lay their hands on up close.

Posted on: 2019/3/8 21:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
Given the bloodbath that has been brick and mortar retail these last years, who knows if the mall be even financially viable in the near future.

What happens if/when Sears and JC Penny close up?

Posted on: 2019/3/8 20:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

nafco wrote:
Thats a cool shot. Amazing how much has changed in a short time. I understand why the mall was a good idea at the time, but I think it served its purpose and its time to slowly reincorporate that swath of land back to the city the way the BJ's/Pep Boys site will slowly be turned back into a city grid over time.

Thing is, 'big box' structures like the Pep Boys, & BJs are designed to be disposable, I remember reading that Walmart calculates 10 years for it's stores, anything after is gravy. A mall? Not so much, it's go a lot more going into it, both structure wise and the investment the individual retailers and even the theater have made. If a far more obvious knockdown like Target is going nowhere, don't hold your breath for the mall. Look at that chunk of land, including the moribund Newport Plaza shopping center it's about 3/4 the size of the mall + the Marin parking deck.

Posted on: 2019/3/8 18:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/27 19:59
From journal square
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MDM wrote:
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

nafco wrote:
What I wish would be demolished is the awful suburban-style Newport mall thats an eyesore, divides downtown and takes up a huge swath of valuable land.

I wouldn't hold your breath! I bet the operator has like a 50 year lease. I guess people go there, though I can easily go a year without setting foot in it. Especially since the Cajun place in the food court went.

When the mall first opened (1989 if I recall correctly), with the exception of a couple of new high rise buildings, Newport was still rotting piers and moonscape with an adjacent neighborhood that was in poor shape. There was nothing nice around the area. You couldn't even drive to downtown because Washington St. terminated in the Waldo area. The road was blocked by a huge mound of dirt that used to be an elevated freight rail line.

The Newport PATH station was a disaster area, as it had been mostly abandoned since the Erie railroad station was torn down in the 1950s. I remember walking over sheets of plywood with mini rivers of water running under the sheets when exiting the station. The light rail was barely in the planning stages.

So I can see why the builder made it like a suburban mall. At the time, they expected people to drive there and take advantage of the 3% sales tax rate... which is what happened. NYC sent agents to the mall at one point, placing "reminders" on cars with NY license plates that anything purchases in NJ would require the payment of NY use tax.

I also miss the Cajun food place. That was my favorite food stop in the mall. I went to the mall a lot less when it left.

Newport circa 1987:

Resized Image

Thats a cool shot. Amazing how much has changed in a short time. I understand why the mall was a good idea at the time, but I think it served its purpose and its time to slowly reincorporate that swath of land back to the city the way the BJ's/Pep Boys site will slowly be turned back into a city grid over time.

Posted on: 2019/3/8 14:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/1 5:25
Group:
Registered Users
Never had a problem with the mall except for the parking, or whatever is left not taken up by rental car companies.

It is a shame about the Cajun place.

Posted on: 2019/3/7 22:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/12 20:58
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
October 1987....I recall it clearly because we closed on our condo in September.

Posted on: 2019/3/7 19:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

nafco wrote:
What I wish would be demolished is the awful suburban-style Newport mall thats an eyesore, divides downtown and takes up a huge swath of valuable land.

I wouldn't hold your breath! I bet the operator has like a 50 year lease. I guess people go there, though I can easily go a year without setting foot in it. Especially since the Cajun place in the food court went.

When the mall first opened (1989 if I recall correctly), with the exception of a couple of new high rise buildings, Newport was still rotting piers and moonscape with an adjacent neighborhood that was in poor shape. There was nothing nice around the area. You couldn't even drive to downtown because Washington St. terminated in the Waldo area. The road was blocked by a huge mound of dirt that used to be an elevated freight rail line.

The Newport PATH station was a disaster area, as it had been mostly abandoned since the Erie railroad station was torn down in the 1950s. I remember walking over sheets of plywood with mini rivers of water running under the sheets when exiting the station. The light rail was barely in the planning stages.

So I can see why the builder made it like a suburban mall. At the time, they expected people to drive there and take advantage of the 3% sales tax rate... which is what happened. NYC sent agents to the mall at one point, placing "reminders" on cars with NY license plates that anything purchases in NJ would require the payment of NY use tax.

I also miss the Cajun food place. That was my favorite food stop in the mall. I went to the mall a lot less when it left.

Newport circa 1987:

Resized Image

Posted on: 2019/3/7 16:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

nafco wrote:

Posted on: 2019/3/6 22:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/27 19:59
From journal square
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Kmart + NDW is a whole lot of space available. They should move the Target there, where it is Downtown is a remarkably poor use of extremely valuable real estate. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised to see a Walmart, they seem to feel there's no such thing as building them too close.

As Newport expands to the edge of Jersey City, Target will naturally be replaced with high rises as well. What I wish would be demolished is the awful suburban-style Newport mall thats an eyesore, divides downtown and takes up a huge swath of valuable land. At the very least, they should top off the massive parking deck with turf so the city can get a public park in that space. Most of that goes unused anyway unless its the holidays. But ulitmate dream is that they tear the whole thing down

Posted on: 2019/3/6 21:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/22 2:50
Group:
Registered Users
Whole foods Trader Joe's? Hahhaha

Posted on: 2019/3/6 20:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Kmart + NDW is a whole lot of space available. They should move the Target there, where it is Downtown is a remarkably poor use of extremely valuable real estate. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised to see a Walmart, they seem to feel there's no such thing as building them too close.

Posted on: 2019/3/6 19:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

135jc wrote:
Too bad. Might take a while for something else to move in. As far as I know nothing is happening yet with the kmart space. Pentland is also closing if not closed already.

True and National Discount Warehouse is closed.

It took a while but the old Rainbow clothing store was split in two. The UPS Store is in one slot and a new women?s spa is opening in the other slot. The sign is up but I can?t recall the name. The UPS Store is great nice and fresh and the employees are very helpful.

Posted on: 2019/3/6 14:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/22 2:50
Group:
Registered Users
Too bad. Might take a while for something else to move in. As far as I know nothing is happening yet with the kmart space. Pentland is also closing if not closed already.

Posted on: 2019/3/6 13:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Looks like La Mexicana down on rt 440 across from Home Depot is dead. There is a big For Lease sign in the window. It opened November 2016.

The sad thing is they took a perfectly good classic diner The Colonette Diner gutted it and turned it into a Mexican themed bar/night club. If you have never been there when it was a diner it had the same diner d?cor as the Broadway Diner in Bayonne except it was 2 times the size.

The Colonette was the go to diner after a night out in JC back in the day. (the VIP diner too) Long lines to get in at 2 and 3 am. Never understood how it went downhill so fast years before 2016, there were never any cars in the lot. Whereas the similar Broadway Diner has always been popular and still is.

Maybe someone will lease it and put back a sit-down type restaurant. There is nothing like that in the area except for fast food and pizza joints and now that it is picking up with the NJCU West Campus across rt 440 and the future Bayfront project there should be.

Posted on: 2019/3/5 22:55

Edited by neverleft on 2019/3/5 23:22:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
I saw this on their FB page:

La Mexicana NJ
October 20 at 1:26pm ?

OPEN CALL FOR SERVERS, BARTENDERS, BUS BOYS, PLEASE CALL
+1 (973) 479-9837 or +1 (201) 850-0336 TO SCHEDULE AN APPT.

GP don't see a menu yet.

Posted on: 2016/10/22 22:57

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/4/24 0:25
From Hudson County
Group:
Registered Users
Happy to see it reopening. It was the best diner in the area. Sad to see it dark.

Posted on: 2016/10/14 2:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
I like Mexican -- where is the menu?

Not too much salt and vegetarian options please!

Posted on: 2016/10/12 1:46

Colonette Diner comes back to life as La Mexicana….
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users

I see the old Colonette Diner on rt 440 over by Society Hill is going to be a Mexican Restaurant and Lounge. From looking at their face book account it looks like an interesting space. It?s opening soon.

https://www.facebook.com/lamexicananj/

Posted on: 2016/10/12 1:42

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017