Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
43 user(s) are online (28 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 2
Guests: 41

Newsboi, penclfactory, more...




Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users




« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »


Re: Montreal Bans New Pit Bull Ownership After Deadly Mauling
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2012/11/10 15:38
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 2838
Offline
Quote:

K-Lo2 wrote:
Interesting article on WebMD, separating fact and fiction about pitbulls.

http://pets.webmd.com/dogs/features/pit-bulls-safety


This is an interesting article, but it minimizes the opposition to pit bulls and doesn't adequately explore their negatives.

For example, it claims: "Opponents argue that pit bulls are more likely to attack." It then spends paragraphs knocking this scarecrow down.

But the true problem with pit bulls isn't that they are more likely to attack. It's that once they do, their bites are far stronger and dangerous than other dogs. They also do not let go, and are almost impervious to pain.

The article tries to weasel around this, by pointing to this "myth":

They can tolerate huge amounts of pain.

“Pit bulls are incredibly wimpy in many respects - they don’t like to go in the cold and rain,” Reid says. But when aroused or agitated, they may be less responsive to pain.

As you can see from the part I bolded, this is no "myth," and WebMD actually admits it.

IMO, the article Yvonne linked perfectly illustrates why pit bulls are more dangerous than other dogs. There were three dogs that attacked the kids: a pit bull mix, a border collie, and an unknown breed. Of these three, the police were able to "detain" two, but the pit bull was "acting aggressively" and had to be killed.

This is why it is silly to draw an analogy to car accidents. If there was a certain type of car that subjected people to a far higher risk of death or serious injury than other cars, people would go ahead and ban it.

Although not stated, I also suspect that the pit bull was the one who killed the kid, while the other dogs inflicted less serious injuries, because their bites aren't as strong.

So, because of the greater potential of pit bulls to inflict death and serious bodily harm on innocent people when compared with other dogs, I support their ban. I would also support bans on other dogs that have been proven to have a more powerful bite, with jaws that do not let go, and with a body that is nearly immune to pain when attacking, necessitating the killing of the dog in order to get it to let go.

Posted on: 1/18 15:12
Print Top


Re: Montreal Bans New Pit Bull Ownership After Deadly Mauling
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2011/11/30 7:46
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 1731
Offline
Quote:

psyop wrote:
If we just ban these this won't happen.

http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/lehig ... orted_in_n_whitehall.html


If we ban cars, accidents won't happen either.

Posted on: 1/18 14:50
Print Top


Re: Montreal Bans New Pit Bull Ownership After Deadly Mauling
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2013/6/10 12:06
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 234
Offline
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
rescue, this has nothing to do with me. Someone is burying a child and another child is in the hospital with severe injuries. What did these children do? According to the article, they were walking to a bus stop.

This is in the article, “Atlanta Public Schools can confirm that two F.L. Stanton Elementary students walking to the bus stop were attacked by pitbulls." This breed of dog should not be in cities. They are too dangerous.

The human child is more important than pit bulls. These dogs are killers.


Well you are making claims as to the temperament of a whole group of dogs, so I am curious what your qualifications are? I have spoken to endless dog behavioralists and trainers who unanimously disagree with your sentiment, so am curious why your opinion differs from trained professionals. Would love to hear about your qualifications in this area.

Anyways, when you say "these dogs" are killers, what dogs? Exclusively American Pit Bull Terriers? What about American Staffordshire Terriers? What about mixed dogs?

You also said, "These vicious pit bulls look at children as prey, their actions are independent of their owners." Again- are you just referring to American Pit Bull Terriers? Are they all vicious? What about Dobermans, Rottweilers, Dogo Argentinos, American Staffordshire Terriers, etc... are they ok? And is this "vicious" behavior of seeing children as "prey," why do so many dogs you would label a "pit bull" not display this type of behavior?

Would appreciate direct answers to my questions instead of a pivot, thank you.

Posted on: 1/18 14:42
Print Top


Re: Montreal Bans New Pit Bull Ownership After Deadly Mauling
Quite a regular
Quite a regular


Hide User information
Joined:
1/3 13:17
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 44
Offline
Interesting article on WebMD, separating fact and fiction about pitbulls.

http://pets.webmd.com/dogs/features/pit-bulls-safety

Posted on: 1/18 14:33
Print Top


Re: Montreal Bans New Pit Bull Ownership After Deadly Mauling
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2004/6/16 22:16
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 3899
Offline
rescue, this has nothing to do with me. Someone is burying a child and another child is in the hospital with severe injuries. What did these children do? According to the article, they were walking to a bus stop.

This is in the article, “Atlanta Public Schools can confirm that two F.L. Stanton Elementary students walking to the bus stop were attacked by pitbulls." This breed of dog should not be in cities. They are too dangerous.

The human child is more important than pit bulls. These dogs are killers.

Posted on: 1/18 14:00
Print Top


Re: Montreal Bans New Pit Bull Ownership After Deadly Mauling
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2013/6/10 12:06
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 234
Offline
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
....

Rationalization is the root of all evil. You are rationalizing your preference of pit bulls over the safety of humans, especially children. Even the Constitution speaks about the right of "...life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness." The Constitution is referring to humans not pit bulls. You are off base.


Yvonne - I'm asserting you are an idiot. You are pro-car and anti-dog. Cars kill more kids than dogs.

If you support cars in JC, then you support killing kids.

That simple enough for you???


You choose to protect animals who attack children sometimes causing death. These vicious dogs attack without being provoke. People do not choose to have an auto accident but peoople choose to have these vicious animals that maimed and kill children. There is something wrong with a person that puts the life of an animal above the life of a human especially a child. I suggest you get counseling. There is even a quote in the Bible Matthew 15:26 about not giving to dogs what belongs to children. That quote refers to food but I am talking about life. You value the wrong life. Children comes first.


You choose to protect Toyotas who attack children sometimes causing death. These vicious Toyotas attack without being provoked. People do not choose to have an auto accident but people choose to have these vicious Toyotas that maim and kill children. There is something wrong with a person that puts the life of a Toyota above the life of a human especially a child. I suggest you get counseling. There is even a quote in the Bible Matthew 15:26 about not giving to Toyotas what belongs to children. That quote refers to food but I am talking about life. You value the wrong Toyota. Children come first.

See how that works? Hold dog owners (and car owners) accountable, not pit bulls or Toyotas..


When does a car decides on its own to kill someone? These vicious pit bulls look at children as prey, their actions are independent of their owners.


I am curious Yvonne, what is your experience working with dogs? I assume you are a certified animal behavioralist or dog trainer to speak so confidently about their behavior, yes?

Aside from your qualifications on dog training and behavior, do you propose ALL big dogs are banned? Or perhaps just an arbitrary list of breeds? German Shepherds? American Staffordshire Terriers? Dobermans? Boxers? Dogo Argentinos? Mastiffs? Rottweilers? Who do you, in your expert opinion, deem are inclined to attack and should be banned?

Also, my next door neighbor has a 75 lb "pit bull" mix and two young children who he is great with. Is there something wrong with it because it doesn't want to attack them? It is definitely guilty of excessive kissing and licks, but I don't think the kids mind. Would love your extremely qualified position on this matter, thanks so much.

Posted on: 1/18 13:22
Print Top


Re: Montreal Bans New Pit Bull Ownership After Deadly Mauling
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2009/7/24 20:34
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 272
Offline

Posted on: 1/18 12:54
Print Top


Re: Montreal Bans New Pit Bull Ownership After Deadly Mauling
#99
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2004/6/16 22:16
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 3899
Offline
Another tragedy, one child killed and two injured, one seriously.
http://www.fox29.com/news/229590965-story

Posted on: 1/18 12:47
Print Top


Re: Montreal Bans New Pit Bull Ownership After Deadly Mauling
#98
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2004/6/16 22:16
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 3899
Offline
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
....

Rationalization is the root of all evil. You are rationalizing your preference of pit bulls over the safety of humans, especially children. Even the Constitution speaks about the right of "...life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness." The Constitution is referring to humans not pit bulls. You are off base.


Yvonne - I'm asserting you are an idiot. You are pro-car and anti-dog. Cars kill more kids than dogs.

If you support cars in JC, then you support killing kids.

That simple enough for you???


You choose to protect animals who attack children sometimes causing death. These vicious dogs attack without being provoke. People do not choose to have an auto accident but peoople choose to have these vicious animals that maimed and kill children. There is something wrong with a person that puts the life of an animal above the life of a human especially a child. I suggest you get counseling. There is even a quote in the Bible Matthew 15:26 about not giving to dogs what belongs to children. That quote refers to food but I am talking about life. You value the wrong life. Children comes first.


You choose to protect Toyotas who attack children sometimes causing death. These vicious Toyotas attack without being provoked. People do not choose to have an auto accident but people choose to have these vicious Toyotas that maim and kill children. There is something wrong with a person that puts the life of a Toyota above the life of a human especially a child. I suggest you get counseling. There is even a quote in the Bible Matthew 15:26 about not giving to Toyotas what belongs to children. That quote refers to food but I am talking about life. You value the wrong Toyota. Children come first.

See how that works? Hold dog owners (and car owners) accountable, not pit bulls or Toyotas..


When does a car decides on its own to kill someone? These vicious pit bulls look at children as prey, their actions are independent of their owners.

Posted on: 2016/11/20 8:58
Print Top


Re: Montreal Bans New Pit Bull Ownership After Deadly Mauling
#97
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2010/8/16 21:45
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 2982
Offline
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
....

Rationalization is the root of all evil. You are rationalizing your preference of pit bulls over the safety of humans, especially children. Even the Constitution speaks about the right of "...life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness." The Constitution is referring to humans not pit bulls. You are off base.


Yvonne - I'm asserting you are an idiot. You are pro-car and anti-dog. Cars kill more kids than dogs.

If you support cars in JC, then you support killing kids.

That simple enough for you???


You choose to protect animals who attack children sometimes causing death. These vicious dogs attack without being provoke. People do not choose to have an auto accident but peoople choose to have these vicious animals that maimed and kill children. There is something wrong with a person that puts the life of an animal above the life of a human especially a child. I suggest you get counseling. There is even a quote in the Bible Matthew 15:26 about not giving to dogs what belongs to children. That quote refers to food but I am talking about life. You value the wrong life. Children comes first.


You choose to protect Toyotas who attack children sometimes causing death. These vicious Toyotas attack without being provoked. People do not choose to have an auto accident but people choose to have these vicious Toyotas that maim and kill children. There is something wrong with a person that puts the life of a Toyota above the life of a human especially a child. I suggest you get counseling. There is even a quote in the Bible Matthew 15:26 about not giving to Toyotas what belongs to children. That quote refers to food but I am talking about life. You value the wrong Toyota. Children come first.

See how that works? Hold dog owners (and car owners) accountable, not pit bulls or Toyotas..

Posted on: 2016/11/20 6:04
Print Top


Re: Montreal Bans New Pit Bull Ownership After Deadly Mauling
#96
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2004/6/16 22:16
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 3899
Offline
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
....

Rationalization is the root of all evil. You are rationalizing your preference of pit bulls over the safety of humans, especially children. Even the Constitution speaks about the right of "...life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness." The Constitution is referring to humans not pit bulls. You are off base.


Yvonne - I'm asserting you are an idiot. You are pro-car and anti-dog. Cars kill more kids than dogs.

If you support cars in JC, then you support killing kids.

That simple enough for you???


You choose to protect animals who attack children sometimes causing death. These vicious dogs attack without being provoke. People do not choose to have an auto accident but peoople choose to have these vicious animals that maimed and kill children. There is something wrong with a person that puts the life of an animal above the life of a human especially a child. I suggest you get counseling. There is even a quote in the Bible Matthew 15:26 about not giving to dogs what belongs to children. That quote refers to food but I am talking about life. You value the wrong life. Children comes first.

Posted on: 2016/11/20 0:42
Print Top


Re: Montreal Bans New Pit Bull Ownership After Deadly Mauling
#95
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2010/8/16 21:45
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 2982
Offline
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
....

Rationalization is the root of all evil. You are rationalizing your preference of pit bulls over the safety of humans, especially children. Even the Constitution speaks about the right of "...life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness." The Constitution is referring to humans not pit bulls. You are off base.


Yvonne - I'm asserting you are an idiot. You are pro-car and anti-dog. Cars kill more kids than dogs.

If you support cars in JC, then you support killing kids.

That simple enough for you???

Posted on: 2016/11/19 19:30
Print Top


Re: Montreal Bans New Pit Bull Ownership After Deadly Mauling
#94
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2004/6/16 22:16
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 3899
Offline
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Hold people accountable. Period.

We don't universally ban fast cars, sharp objects, guns & bullets, hot cups of coffee, peanuts, hot dogs, clowns...the folks that believe that BSL works - are likely the same people that believe excuses like "the dog ate their homework".


Actually, this country bans a lot of things. Here are some: It banned lead in the gas and banned the sale of cigarettes to minors. Banning this breed will keep people, especially children safe.

What needs to banned in order to prevent your ignorance from being spread?


If you believe that then the blood of the next victim is on you. You are putting a dog over the safety of young children, the usual victims of pit bulls.


You should apologize for your blatant hypocrisy given your unashamed pro-car posts. You and your kind have caused more child deaths than any breed of dog. Shame on you.

Quote:

http://www.cdc.gov/safechild/child_injury_data.html
The leading causes of injury death differed by age group.
For children less than 1 year of age, two–thirds of injury deaths were due to suffocation.
Drowning was the leading cause injury death for those 1 to 4 years of age.
For children 5 to 19 years of age, the most injury deaths were due to being an occupant in a motor vehicle traffic crash.
.




Rationalization is the root of all evil. You are rationalizing your preference of pit bulls over the safety of humans, especially children. Even the Constitution speaks about the right of "...life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness." The Constitution is referring to humans not pit bulls. You are off base.

Posted on: 2016/11/19 19:06
Print Top


Re: Montreal Bans New Pit Bull Ownership After Deadly Mauling
#93
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2010/8/16 21:45
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 2982
Offline
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Hold people accountable. Period.

We don't universally ban fast cars, sharp objects, guns & bullets, hot cups of coffee, peanuts, hot dogs, clowns...the folks that believe that BSL works - are likely the same people that believe excuses like "the dog ate their homework".


Actually, this country bans a lot of things. Here are some: It banned lead in the gas and banned the sale of cigarettes to minors. Banning this breed will keep people, especially children safe.

What needs to banned in order to prevent your ignorance from being spread?


If you believe that then the blood of the next victim is on you. You are putting a dog over the safety of young children, the usual victims of pit bulls.


You should apologize for your blatant hypocrisy given your unashamed pro-car posts. You and your kind have caused more child deaths than any breed of dog. Shame on you.

Quote:

http://www.cdc.gov/safechild/child_injury_data.html
The leading causes of injury death differed by age group.
For children less than 1 year of age, two–thirds of injury deaths were due to suffocation.
Drowning was the leading cause injury death for those 1 to 4 years of age.
For children 5 to 19 years of age, the most injury deaths were due to being an occupant in a motor vehicle traffic crash.
.



Posted on: 2016/11/19 18:43
Print Top


Re: Montreal Bans New Pit Bull Ownership After Deadly Mauling
#92
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2004/6/16 22:16
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 3899
Offline
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Hold people accountable. Period.

We don't universally ban fast cars, sharp objects, guns & bullets, hot cups of coffee, peanuts, hot dogs, clowns...the folks that believe that BSL works - are likely the same people that believe excuses like "the dog ate their homework".


Actually, this country bans a lot of things. Here are some: It banned lead in the gas and banned the sale of cigarettes to minors. Banning this breed will keep people, especially children safe.

What needs to banned in order to prevent your ignorance from being spread?


If you believe that then the blood of the next victim is on you. You are putting a dog over the safety of young children, the usual victims of pit bulls.

Posted on: 2016/11/18 11:08
Print Top


Re: Montreal Bans New Pit Bull Ownership After Deadly Mauling
#91
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2013/3/29 17:43
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 1839
Offline
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Hold people accountable. Period.

We don't universally ban fast cars, sharp objects, guns & bullets, hot cups of coffee, peanuts, hot dogs, clowns...the folks that believe that BSL works - are likely the same people that believe excuses like "the dog ate their homework".


Actually, this country bans a lot of things. Here are some: It banned lead in the gas and banned the sale of cigarettes to minors. Banning this breed will keep people, especially children safe.

What needs to banned in order to prevent your ignorance from being spread?

Posted on: 2016/11/18 7:21
Dos A Cero
Print Top


Re: Montreal Bans New Pit Bull Ownership After Deadly Mauling
#90
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2004/6/16 22:16
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 3899
Offline
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Hold people accountable. Period.

We don't universally ban fast cars, sharp objects, guns & bullets, hot cups of coffee, peanuts, hot dogs, clowns...the folks that believe that BSL works - are likely the same people that believe excuses like "the dog ate their homework".


Actually, this country bans a lot of things. Here are some: It banned lead in the gas and banned the sale of cigarettes to minors. Banning this breed will keep people, especially children safe.

Posted on: 2016/11/17 8:40
Print Top


Re: Montreal Bans New Pit Bull Ownership After Deadly Mauling
#89
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2010/8/16 21:45
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 2982
Offline
Hold people accountable. Period.

We don't universally ban fast cars, sharp objects, guns & bullets, hot cups of coffee, peanuts, hot dogs, clowns...the folks that believe that BSL works - are likely the same people that believe excuses like "the dog ate their homework".

Posted on: 2016/11/17 3:54
Print Top


Re: Montreal Bans New Pit Bull Ownership After Deadly Mauling
#88
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2014/3/4 17:31
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 782
Offline
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
Two children and their mother were attacked by their neighbor's pit bull after it escaped from its home in Toms River.

The attack happened on the family’s property last week as the children were headed to school. A 4-year-old was pinned to the ground and needed 35 stiches. Both children had to be hospitalized.

"The dog bites missed one of the child's carotid arteries by about 1 inch,”


Big scarey font. We got it. How does a dog breed ban protect folks from your big scarey font?


I think we gotta ban big scary font. It scares me...

Posted on: 2016/11/16 22:49
Print Top


Re: Montreal Bans New Pit Bull Ownership After Deadly Mauling
#87
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2010/8/16 21:45
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 2982
Offline
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
Two children and their mother were attacked by their neighbor's pit bull after it escaped from its home in Toms River.

The attack happened on the family’s property last week as the children were headed to school. A 4-year-old was pinned to the ground and needed 35 stiches. Both children had to be hospitalized.

"The dog bites missed one of the child's carotid arteries by about 1 inch,”


Big scarey font. We got it. How does a dog breed ban protect folks from your big scarey font?

Posted on: 2016/11/16 21:27
Print Top


Re: Montreal Bans New Pit Bull Ownership After Deadly Mauling
#86
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2004/9/15 15:03
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 8887
Offline
Two children and their mother were attacked by their neighbor's pit bull after it escaped from its home in Toms River.

The attack happened on the family’s property last week as the children were headed to school. A 4-year-old was pinned to the ground and needed 35 stiches. Both children had to be hospitalized.

"The dog bites missed one of the child's carotid arteries by about 1 inch,”

Posted on: 2016/11/16 20:33
Print Top


Re: Montreal Bans New Pit Bull Ownership After Deadly Mauling
#85
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2010/8/16 21:45
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 2982
Offline
Quote:

http://www.dailybreeze.com/article/ZZ/20100203/NEWS/100208088
http://www.wave3.com/story/5404878/9- ... king-on-hot-dog-at-school

Again - for those of you fear-mongerers....

Quote:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/steffen ... ies-and-st_b_8112394.html

Maybe more striking is the fact that you are FAR more likely to die from eating a hot dog (choking from inhalation of food) than from being attacked by an actual dog.

Death by a real dog- 1 in 116,448.

Death by a hot dog- 1 in 3,375.


...and don't get me started on peanuts...

Posted on: 2016/11/16 20:29
Print Top


Re: Montreal Bans New Pit Bull Ownership After Deadly Mauling
#84
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2004/6/16 22:16
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 3899
Offline

Posted on: 2016/11/16 19:10
Print Top


Re: Montreal Bans New Pit Bull Ownership After Deadly Mauling
#83
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2014/3/4 17:31
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 782
Offline
Quote:

CatDog wrote:
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
Insurance companies tend to deny coverage for the first four breeds on this list most often, experts say.

But as a general rule, insurance companies tend to resist covering these 11 types of dogs — or any mix of these breeds:

Pit Bulls & Staffordshire Terriers
Doberman Pinschers
Rottweilers
German Shepherds
Chows
Great Danes
Presa Canarios
Akitas
Alaskan Malamutes
Siberian Huskies
Wolf-hybrids

http://www.forbes.com/sites/cateyhill ... and-renters/#1db5099826ec


Sure, and that's why I use State Farm, which doesn't do that.

Incidentally, man does this board depress me about my neighbors. So many dumb, weak people afraid of absolutely everything. Guns, dogs, cars - you name it, you'll see people TERRIFIED that there will be something posing a danger to them and desperately looking to regulate everything. Which, of course, there always will be.

You guys should probably move to a gated community somewhere. You can ban all large dogs and a bunch of other things. As a bonus those of us that are normal will never have to see you again or hear you whine.

Add in black people and Muslims and you something I've said numerous times on here.

I'm sorry, but that there are only 232 deaths across all of America says that this isn't a problem.


"only" 232 deaths and "only" about 4500 disgurements, not to mention other attacks.


I've met some sweet pitbulls, but pit apologists need to stop acting like they aren't bred to be aggressive. They are disproportionately responsible for dog attacks to the point that can't just be chalked up to training.


I don't think anyone says it is "solely" training, but many other dogs have a similar (or harsher) temperament and similar or greater strength. The reason pit bulls make the headlines is a) who decides to own them and b) the fact that reading "mastiff attacks dog" doesn't get as many clicks as "pit bull attacks."

And yeah, 232 deaths and 4500 injuries is nothing - and that would be true if over a year. Instead, it is over 10 years. Again, lawnmowers do multiples worse than that.

Also, what do you suppose gangbangers will do if you ban pit bulls? Do you think they will stop owning dogs and training them guard their drugs, fight, and whatnot? Or do you think they will switch to numerous other breeds that will work perfectly well? Then what - ban them too? I'm guessing that is exactly what you'll push for. All for a number of deaths and injuries that makes it an insignificant issue.

Posted on: 2016/10/7 13:38
Print Top


Re: Montreal Bans New Pit Bull Ownership After Deadly Mauling
#82
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2010/11/16 20:11
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 1100
Offline
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
Insurance companies tend to deny coverage for the first four breeds on this list most often, experts say.

But as a general rule, insurance companies tend to resist covering these 11 types of dogs — or any mix of these breeds:

Pit Bulls & Staffordshire Terriers
Doberman Pinschers
Rottweilers
German Shepherds
Chows
Great Danes
Presa Canarios
Akitas
Alaskan Malamutes
Siberian Huskies
Wolf-hybrids

http://www.forbes.com/sites/cateyhill ... and-renters/#1db5099826ec


Sure, and that's why I use State Farm, which doesn't do that.

Incidentally, man does this board depress me about my neighbors. So many dumb, weak people afraid of absolutely everything. Guns, dogs, cars - you name it, you'll see people TERRIFIED that there will be something posing a danger to them and desperately looking to regulate everything. Which, of course, there always will be.

You guys should probably move to a gated community somewhere. You can ban all large dogs and a bunch of other things. As a bonus those of us that are normal will never have to see you again or hear you whine.

Add in black people and Muslims and you something I've said numerous times on here.

I'm sorry, but that there are only 232 deaths across all of America says that this isn't a problem.


"only" 232 deaths and "only" about 4500 disgurements, not to mention other attacks.


I've met some sweet pitbulls, but pit apologists need to stop acting like they aren't bred to be aggressive. They are disproportionately responsible for dog attacks to the point that can't just be chalked up to training.

Posted on: 2016/10/7 13:28
Print Top


Re: Montreal Bans New Pit Bull Ownership After Deadly Mauling
#81
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2014/3/4 17:31
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 782
Offline
Quote:

Frank_M wrote:
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:

The point is rarity of death, which is what we're talking about. In terms of injury, obviously there are many more injuries from lightening than deaths. Or if you prefer the lawnmower analogy, 75k injuries per year. Point is on the list of problems in this country, this doesn't make the top 1000. In reality, a couple of whiny ninnies in our community, including you, are scared of big scary dogs and want them banned. After pit bulls are banned ghetto rats will switch to other dogs who you'll also want banned. Eventually, it will become clear that as a society our option is either your nanny state where every large dog is banned or we start growing a backbone and ignoring you.


"Rarity of death" isn't remotely the sole criteria by which we quantify potential risks to public safety. You can focus strictly on mortal injuries if you wish, but those numbers aren't the most informative relative to the nature and scope of the problem.

But hey, if making a wildly incorrect assumption about my opinion on the subject and questioning my fortitude helps you rationalize your seemingly biased and incomplete perspective, knock yourself out.


Sure, instead of statistics on mortal danger you can instead rely on the fact that there are sensationalist news stories or you're just scared of them and because a lot of scary people (often minorities, no less!) own them. So ban them because you don't like them. Is that better?

I'm not so much making assumptions on your reasons for wanting to ban them (maybe you're just spineless and are going with the above), as replying to the prior points made about how deadly/dangerous pit bulls are.

Posted on: 2016/10/7 11:49
Print Top


Re: Montreal Bans New Pit Bull Ownership After Deadly Mauling
#80
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2014/3/4 17:31
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 782
Offline
Quote:

Frank_M wrote:
Quote:

Pebble wrote:

There are studies that show fear of lightening comes from our base conscious. It goes back to our fight or flight instincts. In short, the damage is recognizable but the risks are low.


The risk of being struck by lightning isn't higher because we smartly tend to avoid it, and through shelter, we electrically isolate ourselves from ground. Regardless, the comparison doesn't mean a whole lot, but I remarked on it because I thought it was particularly funny. Only as deadly as lightning? Oh thank goodness; no danger there!

There are plenty of meaningful statistics that could help us determine whether we have a public safety issue on our hands. Maybe we do, maybe we don't, but limiting ourselves to only one test probably doesn't tell us nearly enough.


The point wasn't "only as deadly as lightening" it was rather "even less rare than dying from lightening strikes despite there being literally millions of pit bulls around at any moment." The fact that you're more likely to die choking on a hotdog or a lawnmower, things that aren't "scary" like lightening but are actually far more deadly statistically. In reality, people want to ban pit bulls not because they think they're likely to die from them, but because they're scared of them and want to ban things that scare them. Full stop.

Posted on: 2016/10/7 11:46
Print Top


Re: Montreal Bans New Pit Bull Ownership After Deadly Mauling
#79
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2008/4/2 7:56
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 717
Offline
Quote:

Pebble wrote:

There are studies that show fear of lightening comes from our base conscious. It goes back to our fight or flight instincts. In short, the damage is recognizable but the risks are low.


The risk of being struck by lightning isn't higher because we smartly tend to avoid it, and through shelter, we electrically isolate ourselves from ground. Regardless, the comparison doesn't mean a whole lot, but I remarked on it because I thought it was particularly funny. Only as deadly as lightning? Oh thank goodness; no danger there!

There are plenty of meaningful statistics that could help us determine whether we have a public safety issue on our hands. Maybe we do, maybe we don't, but limiting ourselves to only one test probably doesn't tell us nearly enough.

Posted on: 2016/10/7 10:48
Print Top


Re: Montreal Bans New Pit Bull Ownership After Deadly Mauling
#78
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2013/3/29 17:43
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 1839
Offline
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
As people here rationalize attacks by pit bulls, tomorrow - somewhere a parent will be pushing a baby carriage and a pit bull will lash out at bite perhaps kill the child. Don't compare accidents by lawn mowers which has been improved through the years. Pit bulls violently snap and launch at people for no reason at all.

Statistically, no. It is not probable that a parent pushing a stroller will have their child mauled by any dog let alone a pit bull.

Quote:

Frank_M wrote:
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:

I don't know how you were raised, but when I grew up the phrase "you're more likely to be killed by lightening than to have X happen" meant that X pretty much never happens. Or to put it another way, there are more Powerball lotto winners annually than there are people who die from dog attacks.


I know what you're trying to say but I trust you won't fault me for playing devil's advocate.

Lightning scares the crap out people for obvious reasons, drives us indoors against our wishes, and is responsible for billions of dollars in damages every year. If the ASPCA was looking for an argument to support their case, comparing dogs to lightning probably wouldn't be a marketable contender.

But never mind that. I simply don't have enough information at my disposal to have a particularly meaningful opinion, and I don't think anyone else in this thread does either.

How many people in the US are bitten by dogs every year? Where do the incidents occur? What are the circumstances? Which breeds? Who are the victims? What are their relationships to the dogs' owners? How many bites require visits to the emergency department? How many hospital stays? At what cost? With what lasting effects? There are too many questions with potentially troubling answers to be so utterly dismissive of the risk.

There are studies that show fear of lightening comes from our base conscious. It goes back to our fight or flight instincts. In short, the damage is recognizable but the risks are low.

The other factor is how much more dogs exist than lightening storms.

Posted on: 2016/10/7 7:28
Dos A Cero
Print Top


Re: Montreal Bans New Pit Bull Ownership After Deadly Mauling
#77
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2008/4/2 7:56
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 717
Offline
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:

The point is rarity of death, which is what we're talking about. In terms of injury, obviously there are many more injuries from lightening than deaths. Or if you prefer the lawnmower analogy, 75k injuries per year. Point is on the list of problems in this country, this doesn't make the top 1000. In reality, a couple of whiny ninnies in our community, including you, are scared of big scary dogs and want them banned. After pit bulls are banned ghetto rats will switch to other dogs who you'll also want banned. Eventually, it will become clear that as a society our option is either your nanny state where every large dog is banned or we start growing a backbone and ignoring you.


"Rarity of death" isn't remotely the sole criteria by which we quantify potential risks to public safety. You can focus strictly on mortal injuries if you wish, but those numbers aren't the most informative relative to the nature and scope of the problem.

But hey, if making a wildly incorrect assumption about my opinion on the subject and questioning my fortitude helps you rationalize your seemingly biased and incomplete perspective, knock yourself out.

Posted on: 2016/10/6 16:47
Print Top




« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »




[Advanced Search]





Login
Username:

Password:

remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!



LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact


JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017