Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
119 user(s) are online (103 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 119

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 »

Re: Parking Issues Around Hamilton Park
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/18 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Just need to drive north of 10th street to see the parking mess created by the new buildings. They can't all be construction workers...

Everytime I drive to Target from HP, I see that mess. It's a free for all. I feel bad for the people that work in that Statco Warehouse, I honestly have no idea where they park their cars now. Also some of the tenants in those new buildings have begun to park very close to active loading docks. I saw a tractor trailer trying to maneuver around all the cars last week. I wonder if eventually they'll put up some sort of parking regulations there. If they do it will most likely be after all the new apartment buildings there are built and the roadway is paved.

Posted on: 2016/11/11 19:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
In my experience, marked parking spots lead to worse use of available space, as the spots are marked out huge. The spots on central avenue in the heights being a case in point, you could fit 50% more cars in without those official metered spots.

Often when you see someone parked badly it is because cars have moved around since they first parked. I think most people get it, and park tight.

Robin.

Posted on: 2016/11/11 19:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/10 13:10
From Downtown JC, VVP Area
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

On_The_3rd wrote:
As unsightly as it would be for residential streets, I bet putting hash lines to designate spots would help. I see so much wasted space between cars, enough room to park 4-5 motorcycles but barely enough for a subcompact. So often I see people park smack in the middle of a 30ft gap, not allowing enough room for anyone to park in front of, or behind them.

Oh I second that gripe and I see it every day. My observation has been that in most cases the offending mid-parked cars do NOT have resident stickers displayed. And they sit there all day with practically zero enforcement...

Posted on: 2016/11/11 18:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/11 14:53
Group:
Registered Users
As unsightly as it would be for residential streets, I bet putting hash lines to designate spots would help. I see so much wasted space between cars, enough room to park 4-5 motorcycles but barely enough for a subcompact. So often I see people park smack in the middle of a 30ft gap, not allowing enough room for anyone to park in front of, or behind them.

Posted on: 2016/11/11 18:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/14 20:15
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users
Since most condo buildings don't have 1:1 unit to parking, you will see the more financially sensitive on the streets.

One large issue is room sharing. Imagine a 2BR Condo with 1 parking spot that the owner has rented out. In the worst case scenario, the leasees are 4 strangers with 4 cars. At best, 1 of them uses the deeded parking. At worst, they all get permits because all the other garage spots are owned by the other residents.

Posted on: 2016/11/11 17:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Just need to drive north of 10th street to see the parking mess created by the new buildings. They can't all be construction workers...

Posted on: 2016/11/11 16:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City Municipal Code
ARTICLE VIII - Permit Parking
Section 332-58 - Parking Restrictions in Residential Zones

E (1) Residential Parking Permit or New Resident Temporary Parking Permit.
A legal resident of the residential permit parking zone who (a) has a motor vehicle registered in his/her name or proof that a government or corporate vehicle is available for his/her exclusive use and under his/her exclusive control; and (b) owns or leases a property for which no off-street parking is available to residents, whether free of charge or for a separate fee or rent. Proof of residency (deed or lease) is required.

Posted on: 2016/11/11 16:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

On_The_3rd wrote:
I don't have a car in JC, but I definitely have noticed that the parking situation in the HP area has gotten worse over the last year or two.

Anyone know if the city is issuing parking permits to the new condo/apartment residents? I had thought the deal was they wouldn't.

No. If you live in a building in which parking is available, you are not eligible for a parking permit. If the building has a parking deck, or parking area, and said deck or area is fully rented out and spots not available to a resident, the PA can issue you a permit, but you will have to bring a letter from the leasing or management office confirming that parking is not available.

Before they issue permits, they 100% check to confirm that the address is eligible for a permit. If it isn't, your application will be rejected, unless it is the case described above, in which case you need that letter.

Posted on: 2016/11/11 16:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users
Probably, if the resident can show that the building doesn't have a parking spot available the PA will issue a permit.

Posted on: 2016/11/11 11:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

On_The_3rd wrote:
I don't have a car in JC, but I definitely have noticed that the parking situation in the HP area has gotten worse over the last year or two.

Anyone know if the city is issuing parking permits to the new condo/apartment residents? I had thought the deal was they wouldn't.

Posted on: 2016/11/11 11:15

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/3/16 20:24
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
It doesn't help when the construction takes up the equivalent of a whole block and then arbitrarily decides to close the entire street with 12 hours notice.

Posted on: 2016/11/11 1:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/11 14:53
Group:
Registered Users
I don't have a car in JC, but I definitely have noticed that the parking situation in the HP area has gotten worse over the last year or two. My guess is that some of this us attributed to the new condos going up. I keep my car at a relatives house outside of JC, and I'll only use it when I need to travel for long hours/distances or days at a time. I don't know if I'll ever bother having a car here, as I've managed to get by just fine with biking/Uber/Zipcar.

Just out of curiosity, but what are you doing during school hours that require the use of a parking spot? School is from, what 8?3pm when most non-students are at work, or are working from home. Are there that many stay-at-home moms who need to run errands during the day? Not being critical, but as a non-driver, I'm trying to figure out the competition that the students are bringing to the table for parking during these hours.

Posted on: 2016/11/10 20:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users
Tern, suzy mentioned specifically Morris & Van Vorst. Parts of Van Vorst are actually private, so you don't need a permit to park there. I think it's from dudley to essex.

There is construction on van vorst between sussex and morris, I don't think the the PA will be able to ticket any construction vehicles (as they pay for an off duty cop that will probably shoo them away).

I too have seen lots of students parking their cars in that area, however I have not checked if they had purchase proper non resident parking stickers. Seeing that some of their cars are nice, I'm sure most do. The situation will only get worse as more high density housing is built.

Posted on: 2016/11/10 17:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Suzy,

There is enforcement of parking permits in Paulus Hook, I see wheelclamped cars almost daily. You honestly have't seen any?

If you had complained about zone enforcement in Hamilton Park or Harsimus Cove, I'd agree enforcement is light (but does still happen). Paulus Hook however is the one district where they are on top of this.

I challenge anyone without a permit to park in Paulus Hook for three days without getting clamped.

One explanation in our different experiences could be due to specific streets? Perhaps the blocks you focus on the peripherary of Paulus Hook and not patrolled?

Robin.

Posted on: 2016/11/10 17:14

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/8/3 20:43
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
I live in Paulus Hook (and drive a tiny car). The only enforcement in our zone is to ticket during street cleaning and to ticket if people park where there is a temporary no-parking sign.

No one is enforcing the permit parking. At all.

St. Peter's Prep students take up spots all the time and don't have resident permits. Construction workers park daily all along Van Vorst and Morris without permits. Seemingly 30% of available street parking is marked with temporary No Parking signs because of construction or street work. I often have to park my car in a lot for $35 per day because it's less expensive than getting a $50 street cleaning ticket.

I have no idea why the parking authority is not enforcing the resident permit issue.

Posted on: 2016/11/10 15:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/8 3:24
Group:
Registered Users
There have been lots of requests to change permit hours in all of downtown (no exclusive to zone 6). Not sure if its Osborne or others, but nobody seems willing to implement. There was talk of a demonstration project but not sure it ever happened.

Posted on: 2016/11/10 14:32

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/4 1:37
From Downtown JC
Group:
Registered Users
Have there been previous threads about improving parking enforcement in Zone 6? Is this a non-starter in JC?

Seems like it would 1) make life a little easier for residents with cars and 2) be easy, justifiable money for the city?

Posted on: 2016/11/10 14:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Interesting article from the co-founder of Lyft. The article is no doubt self-serving, but the points raised are spot on. We are in the early stages (maybe later) of a large shift in transportation and as the Yvonne generation fades away, it will only accelerate - rapidly.

Posted on: 2016/9/26 14:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
yeah, it did not come out right, free bus tickets are for the 2/2.5 mile threshold or greater.

Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

DanL wrote:
and if you are beyond the mileage distance for free bus tickets, 2 miles for middle school and 2 1/2 miles for high school, there are nj transit bus tickets offered for 1/3 off, $1.10, but there is no place in jersey city to purchase them.

That seems backward. Should only issue free bus tickets to kids that live > 2-3 miles from the school.

Posted on: 2016/9/26 2:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

DanL wrote:
and if you are beyond the mileage distance for free bus tickets, 2 miles for middle school and 2 1/2 miles for high school, there are nj transit bus tickets offered for 1/3 off, $1.10, but there is no place in jersey city to purchase them.

That seems backward. Should only issue free bus tickets to kids that live > 2-3 miles from the school.

Posted on: 2016/9/25 1:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/21 23:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
How can you remove more cars if there are no buses to take their place? Bus lines did exists in the past but they are gone. This is not NYC with mass transit. We are placing people here without the infrastructure, so cars are needed. JC is an example of over-development.

There are no buses, really?

Of course it is not NYC, are you aware that NYC consists of more than Manhattan, like the Bronx, Queens, Brooklyn, and Staten Island?(To clarify, parts are without mass transpo.)

There are buses, the light rail, the Path, buses, etc.
Not sure what else you think you are entitled to.

Posted on: 2016/9/25 1:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
How can you remove more cars if there are no buses to take their place? Bus lines did exists in the past but they are gone. This is not NYC with mass transit. We are placing people here without the infrastructure, so cars are needed. JC is an example of over-development.

Posted on: 2016/9/24 19:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/25 1:59
From here to eternity
Group:
Registered Users
The biggest annoyance is the Hamilton Park Montessori.

At 0900 each morning, the corner of McWilliams and 8th street is a mega clusterfnck. Double parking is par for the course. Triple parking is the new trend.

Having tried to communicate with the school over these problems, I have to come to realize that the problem is not with the school, but with their parents who insist on driving their kids to the school. While some parents do coordinate transportation to the school, many of the parents are suburban with no stake in the community.

Cordero is a school in and of the community. The Montessori is and has always been a commercial enterprise where the interest in contributing to the community and to listen the concern of the community are ignored in the name of financial interests.

Montessori needs to address this before there is an accident.

Sad.

Posted on: 2016/9/24 15:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

elsquid wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:

Aren't school buses the solution to that?

Maybe for kids who live far away from their schools. A better solution is kids walking or biking or using existing mass transit, all things that I did as a kid in both NYC and the burbs.

Today we have a vicious cycle: Parents say it's too dangerous or time-consuming for kids to bike or walk everywhere, so they drive the kids to school, creating more car traffic, which makes it even more dangerous and time-consuming for everyone.

One study found that 22% of morning rush-hour traffic is parents driving kids to school.

Fully agree with you on this! There is a widespread irrational fear among some parents that kids are seemingly always in imminent danger of being kidnapped, killed, maimed or worse.

Kids *should* be encouraged to walk or bike to school for many reasons, such as it promotes healthy habits, exercise, and to learn the value of socializing with other kids and to fend for themselves in what is a benign situation.

But, I am afraid there has been a significant cultural shift that now views kids walking to school as something dangerous that should be avoided. Look at what happened in Maryland last year, when a state trooper stopped a trio of minors walking home from school, drove them home, and then reported the parents for negligence. The state government investigated the parents for child enlargement for allowing them to walk to/from school!!

Posted on: 2016/9/24 15:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
most people that I know are ok with their children riding the public buses from middle school on. but the problem is - the busses are two crowded and too full, and will sometimes pass kids (and me) by. they also are stuck in regular traffic compounded by double parked cars through out the city.

its seems there is a great deal of opportunity to get cars off the roads, but there is little effort devoted to it.

while there are citibikes near many of the schools, there are not bike racks that kids could use.

and to those that would like parking where their homes do not provide parking, please realize that are plenty of places on the fringe of the city where there are homes with/and driveways that may suit ones needs. in the short term, rent parking, in the long term, move ...

Quote:

elsquid wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:

Maybe for kids who live far away from their schools. A better solution is kids walking or biking or using existing mass transit, all things that I did as a kid in both NYC and the burbs.

Today we have a vicious cycle: Parents say it's too dangerous or time-consuming for kids to bike or walk everywhere, so they drive the kids to school, creating more car traffic, which makes it even more dangerous and time-consuming for everyone.

One study found that 22% of morning rush-hour traffic is parents driving kids to school.

Posted on: 2016/9/24 2:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/8/30 8:48
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:

Posted on: 2016/9/23 21:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
How many JC kids get bused, except special ed kids?

Posted on: 2016/9/23 21:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
I am sure you would have a small revolt on your hands if you the city tried to close off local streets around schools during school hours! Have you seen how some Cordero parents *love* to double park all over Erie to drop off their kids!? That street is a cluster*ck every morning in between the self-entitled dolts that leave their cars running while double parked (sometimes with their doors open!) and the useless crossing guards.

Posted on: 2016/9/23 21:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/8 3:24
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

elsquid wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:

Closing off the local streets adjacent to schools during school hours would be a great start.

That could work. I think some NYC schools get to use a closed-off block as their recess playground.

Make sure to keep it closed well after school ends, to limit unnecessary SUV parent pickups of said children.

They do, or at least used to, close off Bright Street by MS4 at certain hours....?????

Posted on: 2016/9/23 19:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/8/30 8:48
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:

Closing off the local streets adjacent to schools during school hours would be a great start.

That could work. I think some NYC schools get to use a closed-off block as their recess playground.

Make sure to keep it closed well after school ends, to limit unnecessary SUV parent pickups of said children.

Posted on: 2016/9/23 17:57

(1) 2 3 4 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017