Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
98 user(s) are online (78 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 98

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Refinishing Soft Pine Floors
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcneighbor wrote:
Urethane-based finish will last many years but it's stinky to apply and takes a lot longer to dry. Either way, give it at least two coats with a long-pole roller. 3 coats is better. Floors I refinished 30 years ago still look great-

The low VOC oil based poly is a disaster. I redid the floors in one apartment early this year and the stuff was hard to install:

Applies poorly, shows brush marks.
Doesn't dry well. It will dry on the surface and still be a gel underneath for a very long time.

I wish I could have the old fashioned hi-VOC poly shipped in from another country.

Posted on: 2016/9/13 17:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/10 13:10
From Downtown JC, VVP Area
Group:
Registered Users
NEVER put shellac on a floor. Won't last and even a few drops of beer will leave a mess. Soft Pine is tricky and it CAN be done with a power sander with a VERY fine grit paper but it will also raise a TON of dust. Me?, I'd do the pole sander, vac up as much dust as you can get, then put poly down. Water-based isn't very durable but it's quick and almost odor-free. Urethane-based finish will last many years but it's stinky to apply and takes a lot longer to dry. Either way, give it at least two coats with a long-pole roller. 3 coats is better. Floors I refinished 30 years ago still look great-

Posted on: 2016/9/13 16:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
Pine is so soft you can just hand sand with pole sanders - start with med grit then go fine grit -- then you can just stain and shellac. Very easy job. Just be safe with shellac - lots of air and remove all used rags etc.

I've never heard of using shellac on floors. Why would you use a finish that can be destroyed by a spilled alcoholic drink if it's not waxed religiously? Shellacked tables are why our mothers were hysterical about using coasters.

Posted on: 2016/9/13 15:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Pine is so soft you can just hand sand with pole sanders - start with med grit then go fine grit -- then you can just stain and shellac. Very easy job. Just be safe with shellac - lots of air and remove all used rags etc.

Posted on: 2016/9/13 13:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
12/12 0:04
Group:
Registered Users
I am generally not particularly handy but did make a do-it-yourself project of two houses in Jersey City, top to bottom. I rented the sander from Home Depot. These houses had been abadnoned and neeeded a lot of clean up. It sounds like you are talking about much less of a job. However, if you're living in it at the same time, the saw dust is a task to manage. I was lazy and used a water based polyuerthane. The floors being from the 1860 had a nice color and there was no need for a stain. It is probably worth it if you can to use an oil based poly. So if I can do it, I suspect that there are a lot of contractors out there who can also.

Good luck.

Posted on: 2016/9/13 13:15

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/13 16:51
Group:
Registered Users
I don't know if they specialize in the exact work you're looking for, but I was very happy with a job done in my condo by Cronin Hardwood Floors.

http://www.croninhardwoodfls.com/contactus/

Posted on: 2016/9/12 16:51

Refinishing Soft Pine Floors

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/5 14:05
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
We are needing to freshen up the soft pine floor that are original to our 1800's home. We don't want to completely refinish them to the point that they lose the amazing patina they have. Does anyone have a company or contractor that they could refer?

Thanks in advance!

Posted on: 2016/9/12 13:36

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017