Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
116 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 116

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Dullboy for sale
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
That huge fire just happened across the street where the Bike shop is/was -- and that can't be good for business -- also that direction on Grove Street really lacks any real foot traffic. Newark Avenue is a way better street to open a bar -- or frankly anything.

You obviously have NO IDEA what you are talking about, or have little to no real experience with the area in question. On the block and a half between the Dullboy location and Newark Avenue, you have over 10 places to eat, plus many other places that attract a lot of foot traffic. The fire was across the street and unless you actually know it happened, you wouldn't notice anything being amiss or out of place. Lack of foot traffic in that area, or right in front of their place, is not an issue.

Posted on: 2016/8/17 4:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dr_nick_riviera wrote:
UPDATE: Seems the listing was posted in error and it is, in fact, NOT FOR SALE:

http://jerseydigs.com/dullboy-cocktai ... eet-jersey-city-for-sale/

Alleluia!!!!!

Posted on: 2016/8/17 0:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dr_nick_riviera wrote:

When a restaurant owner seeks to sell his business, it is very common for him to deny it. This way the morale of staff doesn't plummet, they don't start looking for other jobs, and customers aren't concerned. I recall a similar situation happening with Talde.

It's highly implausible for the details of this listing to be an "error," and far more likely the only mistake was this being made public.

Posted on: 2016/8/16 23:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/3 18:37
From DTJC
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2016/8/16 21:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/12 17:59
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

TonyTwoPoops wrote:

Everytime I went in there it was filled with Yelp yuppies.

Why does anyone think downtown JC is a hipster haven when it's literally just filled with corny white people or people who have lived here for years? People cry hipster when they just want to rant about anyone remotely young because they feel out of touch and old.

I'm not particularly astute on the semantics separating yuppies and hipsters. Anyone who takes a photo of their food before eating it are all the same person to me. And the three times I've been in there, I saw plenty of people taking pictures.

You might get a kick out of this - Yelp Wordmaps compiling reviews that include the word "Yuppie": https://www.yelp.com/wordmap/nyc/yuppie

And reviews featuring the word "Hipster" https://www.yelp.com/wordmap/nyc/hipster

It appears that the only hipster hotspot in all of JC, is right there at the Grove-Newark corner, although heavily overlaid with a larger preponderance of yuppie sightings.

No signs of fratboys as yet, thankfully, at least not until the new 1Republik opens... https://www.yelp.com/wordmap/nyc/frat

Posted on: 2016/8/16 21:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

TonyTwoPoops wrote:
Quote:

Voyeur wrote:

Dullboy the irritating drunks are also likely to include some of the cream of DTJC hipster doucheness, more likely to be loudly pontificating about white privilege and Bernie Sanders than quietly crying into their Jamo. Perhaps the owner just grew disenchanted with the entire enterprise.

Why does anyone think downtown JC is a hipster haven when it's literally just filled with corny white people or people who have lived here for years? People cry hipster when they just want to rant about anyone remotely young because they feel out of touch and old.

exactly

Posted on: 2016/8/16 20:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/1 0:23
From the village
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Voyeur wrote:

Dullboy the irritating drunks are also likely to include some of the cream of DTJC hipster doucheness, more likely to be loudly pontificating about white privilege and Bernie Sanders than quietly crying into their Jamo. Perhaps the owner just grew disenchanted with the entire enterprise.

Posted on: 2016/8/16 20:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
That huge fire just happened across the street where the Bike shop is/was -- and that can't be good for business -- also that direction on Grove Street really lacks any real foot traffic. Newark Avenue is a way better street to open a bar -- or frankly anything.

Posted on: 2016/8/16 19:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MikeyTBC wrote:
How does this work?
So a buyer picks this up, decides they dont want to extend the lease, can they just take the license and walk away at the end of two years?
it would be their license so sure. The building owner doesn't own the license. But $450k would be a pretty stupid investment if you're only getting in it for the license. Licenses in JC are a lot cheaper than that.

Posted on: 2016/8/16 17:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/12 17:59
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
The owners could just be tired of the publican life. I ran into Ann Marie - the former landlady of The Merchant - in 9C a few months after she sold the bar. When I asked her if the bar had been losing money, she said no, but it also hadn't been making a tremendous amount of money either. She and her partners just slowly grew weary of working 16 hour days, week after week, year after year, with no prospect of the slog getting any easier in the future. So they decided to sell up. Perhaps the same thing happened here.

I think many bar owners start out with a vision of how awesome it would be to have your own joint, but soon come to realize its mostly about covering shifts when your staff bail on you, hauling kegs back and forth, cleaning the toilets yourself because no one else will, and dealing with obnoxious drunks night after night when you're tired and just want to go home.

In Dullboy the irritating drunks are also likely to include some of the cream of DTJC hipster doucheness, more likely to be loudly pontificating about white privilege and Bernie Sanders than quietly crying into their Jamo. Perhaps the owner just grew disenchanted with the entire enterprise.

Posted on: 2016/8/16 16:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
How does this work?
So a buyer picks this up, decides they dont want to extend the lease, can they just take the license and walk away at the end of two years?

Posted on: 2016/8/16 16:33

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/5/23 15:23
From The Village
Group:
Registered Users
450K for a liquor license, and 2 year lease with "extended lease possibilities." and room for about 20 people max. I speculate pulling out of a sinking ship.

Posted on: 2016/8/16 16:22

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/7/1 1:16
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
The owner is clearly a dumpster fire.

Posted on: 2016/8/16 15:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/1 0:23
From the village
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

corybraiterman wrote:

1) Since they joined in the fight to kick the food trucks out? Fk em. Glad to see them go.

3) Really curious as to why this and some other sites feel that ps37 is a bad school. It was decent when I went,

sure it was.....

Posted on: 2016/8/16 15:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
A few things.

1) Since they joined in the fight to kick the food trucks out? Fk em. Glad to see them go.

2) That actually seems like a not outrageous price

3) Really curious as to why this and some other sites feel that ps37 is a bad school. It was decent when I went, and I don't know anyone with kids there that doesn't like it. Hell, a thread on this site said about the same thing.

4) Lol at "high crime area". Technically, yes, but "high crime" conjures more to me than bike theft, fights and shoplifting. Odd usage of the term imo

Posted on: 2016/8/16 14:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
That's weird. Seems like a successful bar.

Posted on: 2016/8/16 14:52

Dullboy for sale
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/1/12 22:36
From the village
Group:
Registered Users
Link

Who wants to speculate, given that they rebranded the gastropub as The Draper and then closed shortly thereafter?

Posted on: 2016/8/16 14:45

« 1 (2)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017