Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
113 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 113

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: WAZE App showed me the rest of JC
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/30 19:03
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:
...The greatest shame is that we're not machine gunning the rioters down.

Let me guess, you've decided who you are voting for.

Shocking, right?

Posted on: 2016/8/18 3:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

skatee123 wrote:
Honestly, I have nothing more to say, the views you have are a little narrow minded and a lot selfish. Maybe you should ask the mayor " Why should I care that Greenville is a ghetto that I would never set foot in?". or better yet, take the mic at the next Groove on Grove and address the crowd, and let them know how you feel. I am sure love will reign down on you in buckets, but what do you care right - it's your world right? We're all just living in it.

Our mayor cares about getting votes, but I can assure you that before he ran for politics he never gave 1 flying f-- about the residents of the ghetto. Everyone is selfish, including ghetto residents that are just looking for more handouts.

Posted on: 2016/8/18 3:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

manu wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:

Why don't you watch a video of the rioters and then see if you disagree with him?

http://youtu.be/vG3NG08Acbg

I watched the video and I disagree with him.

That's fair, you have to see what's happening to make an informed opinion so I respect that.

Posted on: 2016/8/17 22:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/18 4:28
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:

Why don't you watch a video of the rioters and then see if you disagree with him?

I watched the video and I disagree with him.

Posted on: 2016/8/17 22:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:

Posted on: 2016/8/17 21:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:

Posted on: 2016/8/17 20:46

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/4/2 15:51
From Lincoln Park
Group:
Registered Users
Honestly, I have nothing more to say, the views you have are a little narrow minded and a lot selfish. Maybe you should ask the mayor " Why should I care that Greenville is a ghetto that I would never set foot in?". or better yet, take the mic at the next Groove on Grove and address the crowd, and let them know how you feel. I am sure love will reign down on you in buckets, but what do you care right - it's your world right? We're all just living in it.

Posted on: 2016/8/16 21:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

skatee123 wrote:
And as everyone knows, once upon a time downtown was a sh*t hole no one wanted to be in - and now it isn't. And it took close to 30 years for it get that way - so it's really speaks volumes about you for you to basically say now that this cool part of town is stabilized and nice, and you are there all comfy and cozy - fuq everyone else.

So yeah, once upon a time a lot of DTJC was a craphole too. Back then I wouldn't be living here either. What I don't get is why you think that because I live in DTJC that I somehow owe people in other parts of JC something. Why should I care that Greenville is a ghetto that I would never set foot in? So like I said, my only wish with places like that is that they weren't in my city at all.

As to my general hatred of ghettos and most of their dwellers - look at what is going on in Milwaukee. All of those rioting were net negatives long before and only know how to say "gimme dat!" There was an interview (before all the reporters fled) with some distinguished gentleman that blamed the riots on the rich not giving their money to individuals like him. The greatest shame is that we're not machine gunning the rioters down.

Posted on: 2016/8/16 19:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 11:59
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City is no different than any other city. Everyone is free to live - in their own separate sections.

But seriously, if the current dichotomy in Jersey City bothers you well you need look no further than the decades of increasingly progressive liberal government that has been overseeing the situation all along.

Posted on: 2016/8/16 18:23

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Lincoln Park
Group:
Registered Users
And as everyone knows, once upon a time downtown was a sh*t hole no one wanted to be in - and now it isn't. And it took close to 30 years for it get that way - so it's really speaks volumes about you for you to basically say now that this cool part of town is stabilized and nice, and you are there all comfy and cozy - fuq everyone else.

Posted on: 2016/8/16 18:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

getz011 wrote:
Quote:

skatee123 wrote:
The way you are generalizing everyone and thing outside of downtown is the douchiest thing I've seen in a while on here. I used to rent downtown and me and my wife decided to lay roots here by buying. I am a creative director in NYC and she is a registrar at an art dealer and the best we could afford was over near Lincoln Park. To imply that anyone outside downtown doesn't work hard or lives like sh!t is fuq'd up

+1

A good rule of thumb, given that you seem new, is that there are about ten regular posters from DTJC who channel Donald Trump. They've effectively taken over this site, and are terrified of everything. I've lived in Lafayette for eight years & have had a much better experience than in DTJC or, for that matter, the East Village when I lived there. Enjoy your area; it's beautiful.

And I even happen to be a Donald Trump voter too!

Posted on: 2016/8/16 18:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

skatee123 wrote:
The way you are generalizing everyone and thing outside of downtown is the douchiest thing I've seen in a while on here. I used to rent downtown and me and my wife decided to lay roots here by buying. I am a creative director in NYC and she is a registrar at an art dealer and the best we could afford was over near Lincoln Park. To imply that anyone outside downtown doesn't work hard or lives like sh!t is fuq'd up

I'm not generalizing everyone - but I am noting that the situation outside of DTJC is much worse than in. And of course there are exceptions - that strip at the cliff of the heights is quite nice. But the point was still valid.

Posted on: 2016/8/16 18:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

getz011 wrote:
Quote:

skatee123 wrote:

+1

A good rule of thumb, given that you seem new, is that there are about ten regular posters from DTJC who channel Donald Trump. They've effectively taken over this site, and are terrified of everything. I've lived in Lafayette for eight years & have had a much better experience than in DTJC or, for that matter, the East Village when I lived there. Enjoy your area; it's beautiful.

+ 1000 most down there are Douche bags and a few are really sweet.

Posted on: 2016/8/16 1:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/14 1:50
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

skatee123 wrote:

+1

Posted on: 2016/8/16 0:48

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Lincoln Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/8/16 0:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
You sound like exactly the type of person I object to paying for. And these hoods are exactly the sort of people who need to go to a work camp so society can extract at least some value from them.

As for me, they can say hello to my two large dogs (I wouldn't walk at night without them).

I owe you nothing. I owe them nothing. Try to take what is mine and good chance it will end badly. And our city shouldn't be worried about giving you anything you didn't earn. Work harder, get a better job, then maybe you won't live like crap.

Quote:

iGreg wrote:
Hopefully you're the next bitch ass Leroy robs.

You can explain the theory while bleeding.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... g.html#incart_river_index

Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:
I've said it before and I'll say it again: if DTJC could somehow break off from the rest of JC we would become one of the best cities in the country.

And yes, I know much of the non-DTJC city is crap. No, I don't feel remotely "guilty" about that. Feel free to explain to me why I should. You jerks already get the benefit of my tax dollars - and that's all you'll get from me.

Posted on: 2016/8/15 22:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/11 14:10
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Hopefully you're the next bitch ass Leroy robs.

You can explain the theory while bleeding.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... g.html#incart_river_index

Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:
I've said it before and I'll say it again: if DTJC could somehow break off from the rest of JC we would become one of the best cities in the country.

And yes, I know much of the non-DTJC city is crap. No, I don't feel remotely "guilty" about that. Feel free to explain to me why I should. You jerks already get the benefit of my tax dollars - and that's all you'll get from me.

Posted on: 2016/8/15 22:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/8/15 21:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/16 19:07
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JSleeze wrote:
Whites are minorities in California ...

Minority in JC, too.

http://www.jerseycitynj.gov/data.aspx?id=14948

Posted on: 2016/8/15 18:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:

I fear Waze is going to make mornings in DTJC more of a sh*tshow than they already are, as more and more drivers are guided off the turnpike and through downtown to avoid tunnel traffic.

Luckily WAZE and Google Maps both show all the construction and slowed traffic jams Downtown -- so that might stop many.

Posted on: 2016/8/15 17:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/4/26 20:07
Group:
Registered Users
Does anybody on this site read? I posted an article that went to considerable lengths to explain the original application (jewish) of the word, which is why I'm pretty sure the Brooklyn jews wouldn't really be down with it. The article also went on to say that the usage and meaning of the word has changed a lot - as happens with many words.

Posted on: 2016/8/15 17:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/8/23 20:19
From York & Grove
Group:
Banned
Not every renter in JC needs to invest their time and effort into being concerned about the entire city.

I would say the majority of downtown renters only care about their immediate surroundings and their ability to get to the city. Unless they are investing in other parts of JC, who cares if they are living and comfortable in their downtown bubble.

While it sucks that most of Greenville is stricken by crime and undeveloped areas, that really is not of my concern as I have no desire to frequent or invest in those areas. If you want to help out the people of those areas and get involved, all the power to you - but don't expect those that are happy living and spending their time downtown to have the same passion as you.

Posted on: 2016/8/15 17:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/30 16:48
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JSleeze wrote:
Whites are minorities in California - are Malibu and Newport Beach ghettos? Newport (JC) is overwhelmingly Asian - do they suffer from "such pressures"? You certainly wouldn't get away with calling the Orthodox and Hassidic communities in Brooklyn "ghettos" and they don't face "such pressures".

It's just lazy to throw a demographic map up and say "look, pockets of ethnic people. Ghettos!"

LoL you do realize that the term "Ghetto" was originally used to designate where Jewish people were allowed to live.

Posted on: 2016/8/15 17:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

JSleeze wrote:
Whites are minorities in California - are Malibu and Newport Beach ghettos? Newport (JC) is overwhelmingly Asian - do they suffer from "such pressures"? You certainly wouldn't get away with calling the Orthodox and Hassidic communities in Brooklyn "ghettos" and they don't face "such pressures".

It's just lazy to throw a demographic map up and say "look, pockets of ethnic people. Ghettos!"

Think you're struggling with the word ghetto. It can and does have more than one meaning. To me Newport is a ghetto.

when I lived overseas, we referred to any neighborhood with a concentration of westerners as the "expat ghetto."

Posted on: 2016/8/15 17:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JSleeze wrote:
And you kind of prove my point when you say "Newport is ghetto". If you said "Newport is A ghetto" and you were arguing for the historic usage, I'd be inclined to agree. Without the article, it becomes the current usage and while I wouldn't want to live in Newport, with a median household income above $120,000, it is hardly "ghetto".

Typo fixed.

Posted on: 2016/8/15 15:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
And you kind of prove my point when you say "Newport is ghetto". If you said "Newport is A ghetto" and you were arguing for the historic usage, I'd be inclined to agree. Without the article, it becomes the current usage and while I wouldn't want to live in Newport, with a median household income above $120,000, it is hardly "ghetto".

Posted on: 2016/8/15 15:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Not struggling at all - pretty sure I explained its outdated and current uses quite clearly. Point is, "ghetto" is a pejorative term, at least as it has come to be used:

http://www.npr.org/sections/codeswitc ... w-ghetto-lost-its-meaning

Ghettos were always defined by lack of choice ? they were places inhabitants were forced to live, whether by anti-Semitic governments, discriminating neighbors or racist practices like redlining. Sociologist Mario Small argues that these limits have largely been lifted, such that researchers should no longer consider "ghetto" a useful word for urban slums.

And indeed, use of the word "ghetto" in print has been declining since the early '70s. But slang variants have been rising in popularity since before the turn of the millennium. And a quick glance at social media suggests they're not going away; on a recent weekday, twitter users referenced "ghetto" almost 20 times per minute.

"Being ghetto," or behaving in a low-class manner (see also: "ratchet"). "Ghetto fabulous," flashy glamour without the wealth. "Ghetto" as an adjective, roughly synonymous with "jury-rigged," for anything cobbled together out of subpar materials.

Posted on: 2016/8/15 15:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JSleeze wrote:

Think you're struggling with the word ghetto. It can and does have more than one meaning. To me Newport is a ghetto.

Posted on: 2016/8/15 15:14

Edited by dtjcview on 2016/8/15 15:30:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/8/15 14:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/3 18:37
From DTJC
Group:
Banned
The replies I'm seeing here are absolutely ridiculous. So the OP made some naive and ignorant sounding remarks. At least he/she seems self-aware of that and wants to want to get out and make some positive change. The "community" here should look beyond the cause and focus on the effect.

How many of you drive through those same parts and say "this part of JC is a dump, *someone else* should do something about it?" At least he wants to try and make a positive change and wants to get off his ass and do it. All anyone on this forum seems to do is bitch about the mayor, taxes and transgender bathrooms without personally contributing anything themselves. Why not do something to actually encourage someone who wants to make a positive change? Unbelievable.

Posted on: 2016/8/15 14:13

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017