Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
102 user(s) are online (80 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 102

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: WAZE App showed me the rest of JC
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JSleeze wrote:

How does that map show indications of social, legal or economic pressure?

By inference. Would there be clusters like that if there weren't such pressures?

Posted on: 2016/8/15 14:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/4/26 20:07
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

JSleeze wrote:
Wait - what? How does your map show where "ghettos" are?

The map shows areas of racial segregation in JC - and those areas by definition are ghetto.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghetto

Definition as provided by your link:

A ghetto is a part of a city in which members of a minority group live, especially because of social, legal, or economic pressure. (emphasis mine.)

How does that map show indications of social, legal or economic pressure? Also - while the definition above is technically correct, you and I both know there is a more modern connotation to "ghetto" that differentiates it from its more archaic use such as the Jewish ghettos of Hitler's Europe.

Posted on: 2016/8/15 13:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JSleeze wrote:

The map shows areas of racial segregation in JC - and those areas by definition are ghetto.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghetto

Posted on: 2016/8/15 13:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/4/26 20:07
Group:
Registered Users

Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

Kalen wrote:
My point was that JC is a seriously segregated town.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2015 ... _of_every_person.html#Map

Zoom in on JC. "Ghettos" are common knowledge in JC - except perhaps on the waterfront.

Think you managed to piss everyone off with your op. Cut your losses - and we'll write it off to simple ignorance :P

Posted on: 2016/8/15 12:35

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/14 20:50
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Isolation (self-segregation) = preservation .

Posted on: 2016/8/15 8:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/20 23:45
From gone
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Kalen wrote:
Ouch... I'm for real. I've lived all over the place Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Las Vegas, and now Jersey City. I was not baiting or trolling, I promise. My head is not in my ass! My point was that JC is a seriously segragated town. My OP might have come across the wrong way. Let's not all get so uppity and worked up.

No harm done, just try to tone down the #whitesaviorcomplex from level 9 to maybe level 2.

Posted on: 2016/8/15 3:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

Kalen wrote:

Zoom in on JC. "Ghettos" are common knowledge in JC - except perhaps on the waterfront.

Think you managed to piss everyone off with your op. Cut your losses - and we'll write it off to simple ignorance :P

Hey man, back off. He drove through a bad town for a few minutes, he must be an expert.

Posted on: 2016/8/15 2:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Kalen wrote:

Posted on: 2016/8/15 1:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Kalen wrote:
Ouch... I'm for real. I've lived all over the place Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Las Vegas, and now Jersey City. I was not baiting or trolling, I promise. My head is not in my ass! My point was that JC is a seriously segragated town. My OP might have come across the wrong way. Let's not all get so uppity and worked up.

I don't care that you were in a bubble. Many people are.

However, you effectively patted yourself on the back for charity/volunteer work that you might do in the future. Just do the work.

Posted on: 2016/8/15 0:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
it's great that an app steered you out of the bubble. now for the downside...
I fear Waze is going to make mornings in DTJC more of a sh*tshow than they already are, as more and more drivers are guided off the turnpike and through downtown to avoid tunnel traffic.

Posted on: 2016/8/14 14:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Better hope certain parts of JC don't turn into what some other cities are like.

https://mobile.twitter.com/CrashnDaPla ... 64751001932828673/video/1

Posted on: 2016/8/14 14:04

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/23 7:20
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/8/14 6:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/30 16:48
Group:
Registered Users
Try doing an observation in a non downtown Jersey City public elementary school.

Posted on: 2016/8/14 4:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/11 14:10
From JC
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/8/13 19:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
What's wrong with living in a bubble? I moved from Washington Heights in Manhattan, to Morningside Heights (also in Manhattan) to Jersey City Heights. I would love to be able to afford to live in bubble for a change of pace!!

I would recommend the OP to take it slowly - take a deep breath, and do a trip to the Heights, outside the bubble, but quiet and folks are generally affable and approachable.

Posted on: 2016/8/13 19:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Give the guy a break, you need to have a reason to travel somewhere, slum sightseeing is nasty. I discovered the rest of JC because there was so little renovation supplies DT. When the 440 Home Depot opened I found the best way there was down Grand to Bramhall and across to Bergen zigzagging to Culver and 440. That was an eye opener back then, and still can be. And I hadn't traveled the full length of Garfield until fairly recently.

Posted on: 2016/8/13 19:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
inasmuch as we're mocking you for your ignorance up to this point (and believe me, the fact that you've gone through life thus far with this super narrowly-defined world view is absurd), it's nice that you want to help. go clean out your closet/drawer and take the clothing to the nearest shelter and tell the folks there to have whatever they'd like. make year-round donations (not just at christmas - people are hungry the entire year) to a food pantry/soup kitchen. then go volunteer some time at those places.

honestly, kiddo, go tell the shut-in suburbanites from whatever third rate town you come from to experience more of life before they hit whatever age you're at. you're an adult of voting age and presumably have been for years. get some people to actually learn that there are people in this country - and in your case your fk'n neighbors - struggling to make ends meet and just get by in life. the more people realize this at a younger age, the more they might give a sht about fixing the issues en masse rather than glossing over them as so many do because they never do leave that crappy olive garden ville.

Posted on: 2016/8/13 15:32

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/3/23 0:39
Group:
Registered Users
It honestly scares me every single time I meet someone in downtown here more than 2+ years that has never actually been outside of downtown. Most don't even know where Grand St is or that Newark doesn't end when it goes up the hill. It honestly aggravates me that many will go on to buy property in the surrounding areas and claim they are "improving" the area without actually every knowing what it was like before it became "vanilla" enough for them to walk around with their heads in the asses.

Yes poverty exists in this city. Gun violence, crime, drugs - everywhere. But, this is not indicative of the entire population that lives outside of the downtown bubble. People all of over this city need help. Some good recommendations here to get started.

Posted on: 2016/8/13 12:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
To the OP: you have definitely been living in a bubble all this time. And, that's OK. Most people are doing the same. Just so you know, you don't have to even leave DTJC to see extreme poverty and human sadness. There is a lot of that in DTJC, but most local residents don't see it because it's usually out of sight, and because city dwellers are generally adept at tuning out their surroundings.

If you want to see more of the DTJC poverty, and the sheer amount of people in need, volunteer at one of the local shelters or soup kitchens. I'm not sure where in DTJC you are located, but I would kindly invite you to stop by Grace Church Van Vorst (39 Erie, between 2nd and 3rd) on any Saturday or Sunday, between 7 and 9. The church has been running a very successful breakfast program for the homeless and needy for many years. We sometimes feed 100, and are always in need of volunteers. You don't have to be a church member to volunteer or participate (I'm not) nor do you even have to be religious (I'm agnostic, at best.). All you need is a desire to get involved and help others. There are many other places where you could volunteer or help out by donating: Hope House (women's shelter) and St Lucy come to mind. Do a search online. Lots of shelters around here.

Posted on: 2016/8/13 11:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/22 2:50
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Kalen wrote:
I recently had to take a detour and was using the WAZE app. I've lived Downtown for the last six years and rarely go to other parts of JC. This navigation app took me away from the turnpike and up Ocean Ave to 440. I've got to tell you, the state of our city is not well. I seriously wonder if most people who live downtown are like me and just never think about the rest of the city.

I was pretty sketched out and wanted to run red lights to get the hell out of there. WAZE does not consider the safety of the neighborhood, it just gets you from A to B the fastest way.

I was saddened by how divided our city is and thinking about what needs to be done to help the areas of JC that are in need of serious help. I think if more people, like myself, actually got out to see the poverty in this town we'd come together to make all of JC a place to be proud of. It clearly appears all of the energy from our government is going into Downtown and JSQ

It's pathetic that a traffic APP on my IPhone was the one thing that got me into another area of the city I would otherwise never think of going.

This post is only meant to get downtowners off their butts and check out what is going on just minutes away. I'm totally guilty of living in my little bubble as well. We need to find a way unify the city. It's shocking what poverty and sadness is out there.

I'm looking to volunteer or do whatever I can, to help those of all of Jersey City. I'm proud to be a resident of Jersey City and that includes all disctricts, not just downtown.

It's a real shame. Our Mayor was to move to that neighborhood but got out bid. What a tough break. Too bad because then a real effort would ha e been put into making it better. Well I guess a vote is a vote.

Of course there are always the limousine liberals championing the cause.

Posted on: 2016/8/13 6:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/11 14:10
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Why would this be a joke ?

DTJC is a very isolated bubble catering to folks who have 0 need to venture out of it - see OP.

One reason ppl in JC can't be too pleased with the shit administration that neglects what many see in their daily lives.

Posted on: 2016/8/13 5:16

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/4/5 1:44
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I think this must be a joke. If not, you really need to take your head out of your privileged a**, venture outside the uppity bubble you have apparently been living in, and recognize that your sanitized reality is not the version of life most folks are familiar with or even necessarily want. Seriously, there is a whole world out there. We are doing quite fine without your help.

Posted on: 2016/8/13 3:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
let's assume for real.

some flyover transplant probably. joined jc list probably at or near the move here, so two years ago and hasn't ventured much outside their paulus hook/vvp/newport/harsimus cove area because omg everything's so nice and and pretty and convenient (honestly, it is, you can probably go weeks or months and not have to go outside a mile radius here). we can probably rule out most of the hamilton park/village 'hoods, because the sketch actually starts to border those neighborhoods, too.

probably works in manhattan or maybe downtown, so they commute (or are really stupid and drive) into the city, but probably drive out to whole foods or maybe costco/sam's club to feel more at home on the weekends.

i'm willing to bet 60/40 it's real.

Posted on: 2016/8/13 3:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/20 23:45
From gone
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Kalen wrote:
I recently had to take a detour and was using the WAZE app. I've lived Downtown for the last six years and rarely go to other parts of JC. This navigation app took me away from the turnpike and up Ocean Ave to 440. I've got to tell you, the state of our city is not well. I seriously wonder if most people who live downtown are like me and just never think about the rest of the city.

I was pretty sketched out and wanted to run red lights to get the hell out of there. WAZE does not consider the safety of the neighborhood, it just gets you from A to B the fastest way.

I was saddened by how divided our city is and thinking about what needs to be done to help the areas of JC that are in need of serious help. I think if more people, like myself, actually got out to see the poverty in this town we'd come together to make all of JC a place to be proud of. It clearly appears all of the energy from our government is going into Downtown and JSQ

It's pathetic that a traffic APP on my IPhone was the one thing that got me into another area of the city I would otherwise never think of going.

This post is only meant to get downtowners off their butts and check out what is going on just minutes away. I'm totally guilty of living in my little bubble as well. We need to find a way unify the city. It's shocking what poverty and sadness is out there.

I'm looking to volunteer or do whatever I can, to help those of all of Jersey City. I'm proud to be a resident of Jersey City and that includes all disctricts, not just downtown.

U for real?

Cause u can't be for real.

Posted on: 2016/8/13 2:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
welcome to jersey city

Posted on: 2016/8/13 2:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/27 22:17
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
JC is like any other city - there's going to be unequal economic zones. Some of us who has lived in downtown for 30 years know what Newport used to look like and what it felt when our kids found needles in Hamilton Park.

What, exactly are you trying to convey?

Quote:

Kalen wrote:

Posted on: 2016/8/13 2:13

WAZE App showed me the rest of JC
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/23 7:20
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/8/13 2:02

« 1 (2)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017