Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
90 user(s) are online (73 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 90

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Crash on Jersey Ave, Friday Night Aug 5
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/12 15:20
From Downtown Ex Pat happy in McGinley Sq.
Group:
Registered Users
Yet another senseless death has occurred in JC due to the chronic culture of speeding and reckless driving that our Mayor refuses to address. We've been begging him for years (at least 4 years to be exact!) for more enforcement and to make improving safety on our streets a priority. He stands us up at meetings, he won't deal with it.

Before anyone says it - JC has enforcement jurisdiction on all roads in JC, even county roads.

Pedestrian struck and killed crossing Jersey City street, officials say

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... y.html#incart_2box_hudson

Its time to hit him publicly, folks.

Please TWEET @stevenfulop about this crash, and anytime you feel unsafe as a pedestrian or cyclist or see any dangerous driving. We need to hit him. MAKE SURE YOU INCLUDE #jcmakeityours in your tweet. And if you have space left, add in #jcmakeitsafe.

We have to start more public pressure as residents.

Posted on: 2016/9/29 14:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/10 14:50
From hamilton park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SOS wrote:
Quote:

sullyx wrote:
Quote:

On_The_3rd wrote:
Another crash this morning, Jersey and 3rd.

Jersey City got lucky no pedestrians were injured in this accident, considering all the foot traffic generated by the grocery store, the laundromat and the Citibike rack all at that corner. It's time for the city to install a stop signs on Jersey Ave at 3rd to slow the drag race between Newark ave and the tunnel.

The State of NJ authorizes the installation of stop signs, not JC.

so they need to initiate it as I've been calling for Fulop and Candice to do for over a year!

Posted on: 2016/9/28 15:47
utterly deplorable

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/23 15:07
From Between Thought and Expression
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

sullyx wrote:
Quote:

On_The_3rd wrote:

Jersey City got lucky no pedestrians were injured in this accident, considering all the foot traffic generated by the grocery store, the laundromat and the Citibike rack all at that corner. It's time for the city to install a stop signs on Jersey Ave at 3rd to slow the drag race between Newark ave and the tunnel.

The State of NJ authorizes the installation of stop signs, not JC.

Posted on: 2016/9/28 14:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/10 14:50
From hamilton park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

On_The_3rd wrote:

Posted on: 2016/9/28 14:02
utterly deplorable

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

drifterx wrote:
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

drifterx wrote:
Massive speed bumps. Not sure if it reduces speeding, but it will definitely reduce your car if you do.

On Columbus or Grand? No.

It would be hilarious, not to mention a boost to the local economy of your neighborhood auto shops.

As for police enforcement, it usually takes a tragedy for that to happen, like that piece of human garbage who mowed down two kids in Union City, JCPD did nothing on JFK in JC. Cops on Kennedy started ticketing for a few months then it's back to usual.

Hilarious indeed.

Sadly, not true in JC at all. The enforcement only ramped up in Union City, JCPD did nothing. We've been fighting for more enforcement on JC's JFK Blvd (which the CITY, not the County is indeed responsible for) for over FOUR YEARS now since our neighbor Steven Clifford was killed by an off duty cop going 60 mph, at JFK/Fairmount. NOTHING. Even Fulop, who committed to attend a public meeting about enforcement and around who's calendar we set the the meeting and the Freeholder arranged all this with him, STOOD US UP. No apology, no rescheduling, no sending any delegate in his place who could help.

We to get together city-wide as residents and PUSH him hard. I suggest we all tweet @stevenfulop anytime we see reckless driving or feel unsafe as pedestrians/cyclists and BE SURE to include #jcmakeityours in your tweet (and add #jcmakeitsafe if you have room left). Yes, we need to do way more than this and get organized, however, starting the public image pressure and keeping that up might help and its not hard to do.

Who's in?

Posted on: 2016/9/28 13:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/11 14:53
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/9/28 13:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/8/30 8:48
Group:
Registered Users
On the street design side, Bike JC is about to renew our campaign for Grand Street, including protected bike lanes and various traffic calming methods. We'll be collecting petition signatures, engaging a consultant to produce design renderings, and drumming up public support.

I hope you'll join us and support this and similar initiatives. Bike JC will be talking and listening about this plan (and other bike matters) at our upcoming open meeting, Thursday, 8 p.m. at the Team Walker Learning Center, 373 Communipaw Ave. at Halladay Street. All are welcome.

Posted on: 2016/9/19 19:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/4/26 20:07
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

HamiltonParker wrote:

No one parks illegally in Hoboken because the police are *hot on them* with ticketing, booting and towing. It raises an enormous sum of revenue for our neighboring town and is such low hanging fruit to implement and enforce.
I'd like to see more of a traffic police presence here in JC. Almost everyone I know has been clipped by a car that just kept driving.

Exactly - just like no one litters in Union City. It isn't tolerated. These are the quality of life issues that really make a city liveable - not the fifteenth pizza place in four block radius or another cookie cutter, tax-abated high rise alongside a dozen others.

I think in the end though, traffic enforcement and anti-litter efforts don't succeed (or aren't pursued) because that just isn't the ethic in Jersey City, outside of the JCList echo chamber. People who live outside downtown (and many who do live here) choose to be completely dependent on their cars and expect the world to bend to their desires, which is to be able to get wherever they are going as quickly as possible and park their car within twenty feet of the front door of their destination.

Posted on: 2016/9/17 21:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/7/7 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
I was 9 1/2 months pregnant and doing the big, pre-baby, house purge one fine February day. As I drove down Washington Street in Hoboken to drop off book and clothing donations I gingerly cruised through an amber traffic light.
I was promptly pulled over by a police car and despite hormonal tears, pleading, my enormous belly, etc. I was swiftly handed a summons.
No one parks illegally in Hoboken because the police are *hot on them* with ticketing, booting and towing. It raises an enormous sum of revenue for our neighboring town and is such low hanging fruit to implement and enforce.
I'd like to see more of a traffic police presence here in JC. Almost everyone I know has been clipped by a car that just kept driving.

Posted on: 2016/9/17 16:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

alastor wrote:
The simple answer is that the police need to start enforcing the traffic laws; they could send a strong and forceful message during rush hour that we do not tolerate reckless and unsafe driving in JC. However, the JCPD evidently thinks that pedestrian and vehicular safety is beneath them. On more than one occasion, I have been in a crosswalk with a vehicle failing to yield and a patrol car directly behind it. No interest, no stop, no ticket-- no enforcement. On multiple occasions, it has been the patrol car that fails to yield (without emergency lights or siren). I've repeatedly reported this to the city council and the precinct captain, but no action results. Pedestrian safety is not a priority for the Fulop administration, and it will be the reason why I don't vote for him or his council again. Signs are not enough. The city must start aggressively issuing tickets for this conduct that endangers anyone who walks across the street, including our children. Over the years, I have witnessed at least thirty accidents along Jersey Ave. How hard would it be to periodically station a patrol car where we know there's an active and dangerous problem? The police seem to have no trouble supplying off-duty officers for construction sites where they stand around and text.

How hard you ask...in the words of the North District Police Captain..."no money-no manpower !

Posted on: 2016/9/17 15:11
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

drifterx wrote:
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

drifterx wrote:
Massive speed bumps. Not sure if it reduces speeding, but it will definitely reduce your car if you do.

It would be hilarious, not to mention a boost to the local economy of your neighborhood auto shops.

As for police enforcement, it usually takes a tragedy for that to happen, like that piece of human garbage who mowed down two kids in Union City. Cops on Kennedy started ticketing for a few months then it's back to usual.

Hilarious indeed.

Posted on: 2016/9/17 14:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/1 5:25
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

drifterx wrote:

As for police enforcement, it usually takes a tragedy for that to happen, like that piece of human garbage who mowed down two kids in Union City. Cops on Kennedy started ticketing for a few months then it's back to usual.

Posted on: 2016/9/17 13:32

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/17 5:23
Group:
Registered Users
The simple answer is that the police need to start enforcing the traffic laws; they could send a strong and forceful message during rush hour that we do not tolerate reckless and unsafe driving in JC. However, the JCPD evidently thinks that pedestrian and vehicular safety is beneath them. On more than one occasion, I have been in a crosswalk with a vehicle failing to yield and a patrol car directly behind it. No interest, no stop, no ticket-- no enforcement. On multiple occasions, it has been the patrol car that fails to yield (without emergency lights or siren). I've repeatedly reported this to the city council and the precinct captain, but no action results. Pedestrian safety is not a priority for the Fulop administration, and it will be the reason why I don't vote for him or his council again. Signs are not enough. The city must start aggressively issuing tickets for this conduct that endangers anyone who walks across the street, including our children. Over the years, I have witnessed at least thirty accidents along Jersey Ave. How hard would it be to periodically station a patrol car where we know there's an active and dangerous problem? The police seem to have no trouble supplying off-duty officers for construction sites where they stand around and text.

Posted on: 2016/9/17 5:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

drifterx wrote:

Posted on: 2016/9/16 22:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/1 5:25
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/9/16 22:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Frankly - it would be great if something like Critical Mass could be organized on a frequent basis during morning rush in DTJC. If the police and local government aren't interested in solving what at times is a life and death problem other solutions should be considered.

Posted on: 2016/9/16 16:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Again - dealing with the realities at hand - police officers are probably the best tool you have if you don't want to get killed crossing Grand, Kennedy, Columbus, et al, TODAY. Cameras have been shot down - I'd love to see a camera at every intersection. Radar is used - as part of the "manual" enforcement you poo poo.

Elsquid's proposals are great - and twenty years behind most of the developed world. My whole point here is that these types of changes are extremely slow to transpire here (if they ever do at all) and in the meantime, I'd like to be able to cross Grand, Kennedy, Columbus, et al without getting killed.

Quote:

tern wrote:
"enforcement", as in manual enforcement by police officers, is a solution proposed by those who don't really want a solution.

The structural changes proposed by Elsquid are precisely what is needed and will achieve much better results than calling for additional manual enforcement, which will have fleeting impact at best.

Longer term, the path to vastly reduced traffic deaths is clear. Speed cameras, red light cameras, radar; the pieces are all there for full enforcement.

How long before every car has an embedded transponder and its speed is monitored at all times and available instantly to the police?
How long until driving a car without computer supervision and oversight is illegal?

Robin.

Posted on: 2016/9/16 15:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
"enforcement", as in manual enforcement by police officers, is a solution proposed by those who don't really want a solution.

The structural changes proposed by Elsquid are precisely what is needed and will achieve much better results than calling for additional manual enforcement, which will have fleeting impact at best.

Longer term, the path to vastly reduced traffic deaths is clear. Speed cameras, red light cameras, radar; the pieces are all there for full enforcement.

How long before every car has an embedded transponder and its speed is monitored at all times and available instantly to the police?
How long until driving a car without computer supervision and oversight is illegal?

Robin.

Posted on: 2016/9/16 15:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Fair enough - I was a tad hyperbolic. But you have to admit that while some/many of your ideas CAN be easily/quickly implemented, the fact is that this administration - basically the same as those that came before it - has moved at a glacial pace, if at all, when it comes to actually doing anything. When they have acted, it has usually been haphazard and ineffective - the bike lanes are a great example. Poorly planned, poorly executed and poorly maintained - and it took many years to get them.

So yes - please keep fighting the good fight. Maybe you'll drag the city into the 21st century, reluctant though it may be to leave the 19th. Until then - more enforcement please.

Posted on: 2016/9/16 12:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/28 15:11
Group:
Registered Users
Fullop doesn't care about Jersey City people. He's going for the governor's office and can't be seen as anti-car to win over car-centric New Jersey.

You can forget about safe streets as long as he's in office.

Posted on: 2016/9/15 20:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

T-Bird wrote:
Uh, quite true. I don't disagree with anything you've said, other than the likelihood of it coming to pass. Saying enforcement is too expensive so it shouldn't be the answer is wide of the mark. Nothing you are proposing will be done over night - in the mean time, people will continue to die because of the indifference of those who are tasked with setting policy and enforcing the law. Daily I see people traveling in excess of 50 mph on Grand - and not just in the wide parts. Sure, they get a head of steam up west of Jersey, but if the lights at Jersey and Grove are in their favor they just continue to barrel along. Frequent enforcement and stiff fines are needed - not saying it will completely change behavior but it is insane how little effort is made to bring any of this under control.

Don't get me wrong - I cycle daily, including on Grand. I fully support what you are after and have worked in parallel in the past to try to achieve these types of things. In the meantime, four or five people have died on Grand street in the past seven years. You can't just throw up your hands and say enforcement is expensive and give up.

The original comment was absolutist: "Only three things are going to bring this stuff under control: enforcement, enforcement, and more enforcement."

Not true.

And some of the solutions I proposed can be done quickly and inexpensively; in fact, that's increasingly the model today. Speed humps and tables, corner bumpouts, etc. can be done as pilots and emergency measures, providing both testing and public awareness and acceptance for more permanent installations.

Also, I never "threw up my hands" and said give up on enforcement. We should have more of that too, and right quick.

Posted on: 2016/9/15 20:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/8 3:24
Group:
Registered Users
Today at noon (meaning a lot of people had just stepped onto the streets for lunch break) a car zoomed down Columbus westbound to beat the light at Grove. They didn't beat it but ran through it anyway - while pedestrians were beginning their crossing. Unbelievable. (Well, really NOT unbelievable since this happens all the darn time in this neighborhood.)

Posted on: 2016/9/15 17:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

T-Bird wrote:
Uh, quite true. I don't disagree with anything you've said, other than the likelihood of it coming to pass. Saying enforcement is too expensive so it shouldn't be the answer is wide of the mark. Nothing you are proposing will be done over night - in the mean time, people will continue to die because of the indifference of those who are tasked with setting policy and enforcing the law. Daily I see people traveling in excess of 50 mph on Grand - and not just in the wide parts. Sure, they get a head of steam up west of Jersey, but if the lights at Jersey and Grove are in their favor they just continue to barrel along. Frequent enforcement and stiff fines are needed - not saying it will completely change behavior but it is insane how little effort is made to bring any of this under control.

Don't get me wrong - I cycle daily, including on Grand. I fully support what you are after and have worked in parallel in the past to try to achieve these types of things. In the meantime, four or five people have died on Grand street in the past seven years. You can't just throw up your hands and say enforcement is expensive and give up.

Its not just Grand St that's a chronic problem. JFK Blvd in JC is a MASSIVE problem and constantly wins the ranking of most dangerous roadway in Northern NJ. I've been working with the county and city for years to try to make it safer. Time and again,t he county engineers have stepped up - they are about to start implementing $3.6 mil in redesign work on the corridor from Communipaw-Bond, and subsequent grant funded efforts that will take the work through JSQ. But grants take years to get so their work will take awhile to implement.But at least its coming. In the meantime, we've continued to push JCPD to increase enforcement (county road BUT city has enforcement jurisdiction). Its limited and inconsistent.

This has to come from Mayor Fulop for anything to happen. We need to push him to adopt a city-wide Vision Zero style program like DeBlasio has done in NYC. But he wont' In fact, he stood us up for a massive public meeting we scheduled AROUND HIM, with many Police & Sheriff and other officials in attendance. He even promised to then send a high ranking 2nd from his office to represent him, one who could make decisions, and DIDN'T. Epic Fail.

Posted on: 2016/9/15 16:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/9/15 16:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

La_Verdad wrote:
The speed limit is 25. Nothing should flip at 25. Or 30. Similarly, I happened upon a serious collision at Marin and Grand Tuesday evening - a car traveling eastbound on Grand had broadsided some sort of mini vanSuv-let that left so much damage that the car had to be going 45, at a minimum.

Only three things are going to bring this stuff under control: enforcement, enforcement, and more enforcement.

Not true. Enforcement helps, but it is costly and has to be kept up consistently, basically forever.

Our streets?especially wide "arterial" racetracks like Grand, need substantial redesign to physically force drivers to slow down.

"Road diets" have been repeatedly proven to do this, shrinking the width and number of traffic lanes, and usually using the saved space for bike lanes, pedestrian islands, and other safe, green features. One example can be seen on Hoboken's Observer Highway, where car space was reduced.

The nonprofit advocacy group Bike JC, of which I am a board member, is campaigning for exactly that on Grand Street. Please join us in supporting this much-needed change to our streets.

Posted on: 2016/9/15 14:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Dolomiti wrote:
Quote:

On_The_3rd wrote:
Another crash on Jersey Ave this morning, as I'm sure many of you saw. Probably happened right around 8:00am on the corner of Jersey and First. From what I overheard by a witness, a Jeep Cherokee was "following" another car and took the turn onto First too fast, hit the curb and flipped. I'm not sure if anyone was hurt, hopefully not. This intersection is incredibly dangerous in the morning, I've nearly been hit at least a dozen times. Two way traffic with people speeding to the tunnel, as well as drivers blinded by the sun trying to cross Jersey.

That corner may well be dangerous, but that particular instance sounds more like operator error and/or an issue with that model. Cherokees from model year 2012 and earlier are somewhat prone to flip; and I don't think there is anything about the design of that particular intersection which encourages drivers to speed or drive recklessly.

Ya? no. You have a 2 intersections that are about 20 yards apart. I'm sure horses and buggies were able to navigate this just fine, not so much the 2 ton death sleds of today. Driver error indeed.

Posted on: 2016/9/15 14:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/6/18 15:56
Group:
Registered Users
The speed limit is 25. Nothing should flip at 25. Or 30. Similarly, I happened upon a serious collision at Marin and Grand Tuesday evening - a car traveling eastbound on Grand had broadsided some sort of mini vanSuv-let that left so much damage that the car had to be going 45, at a minimum.

Only three things are going to bring this stuff under control: enforcement, enforcement, and more enforcement.

Posted on: 2016/9/15 14:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/14 1:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

On_The_3rd wrote:
Another crash on Jersey Ave this morning, as I'm sure many of you saw. Probably happened right around 8:00am on the corner of Jersey and First. From what I overheard by a witness, a Jeep Cherokee was "following" another car and took the turn onto First too fast, hit the curb and flipped. I'm not sure if anyone was hurt, hopefully not. This intersection is incredibly dangerous in the morning, I've nearly been hit at least a dozen times. Two way traffic with people speeding to the tunnel, as well as drivers blinded by the sun trying to cross Jersey.

That corner may well be dangerous, but that particular instance sounds more like operator error and/or an issue with that model. Cherokees from model year 2012 and earlier are somewhat prone to flip; and I don't think there is anything about the design of that particular intersection which encourages drivers to speed or drive recklessly.

Posted on: 2016/9/15 14:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/8 3:24
Group:
Registered Users
I saw the aftermath and can't help but wonder how darn fast was that suv going to flip onto its side. Hopefully he'll slow down in the future.

Posted on: 2016/9/15 14:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/9/15 13:43

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017