Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
95 user(s) are online (78 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 95

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Crash on Jersey Ave, Friday Night Aug 5
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/10 13:10
From Downtown JC, VVP Area
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

Cchastain wrote:
I was around the corner when it happened so I saw the immediate aftermath and heard witnesses describing the accident to the police.

A red sedan traveling north on Jersey ave t-boned a motorcyclist who was just starting to enter the intersection traveling west on Columbus. On impact, the rider went up and over the car, caving in the car's windshield. Amazingly, he was unhurt! The motorcycle was slammed sideways and slid down jersey avenue in the same direction the red car had been traveling. It came to a rest in front of chocopain and burst into flames. The fire spread to a Nissan Maxima which was parked on the side of the road.

The driver of the red car claimed he had a green light, but the police said they had six witnesses telling them that the light had already changed to green for the Columbus ave direction, hence the motorcycle and multiple pedestrian wirnesses having entered the intersection when the red car came through it.

The bike burnt completely and the Maxima was also totaled, both taken away on flatbed trucks.

In classic JC fashion, all the broken glass and fire debris is still on the road where the fire occurred.

Thanks for the detailed account.

Sadly, lots of motorists continue to flaunt stop signs and traffic lights while speeding in JC residential streets. We will likely now get the electronic billboard admonishing drivers to watch their speed for a few days and it will then get moved somewhere else. What we really need is true, consistent enforcement of traffic laws. I have personally witnessed many cars gun it down Jersey Avenue to try and beat the light as it changes from yellow to red.

I'll second bodhipooh with a thanks for firsthand and very informative reporting. And welcome to JCList!

I've been riding motorcycles and mopeds for the past 45 years and I drive more defensively than most. I live near that intersection and know it well. The car driver seems obviously at fault but the motorcycle rider apparently didn't bother to look in either direction before entering the intersection. And Columbus is a wide street so the view of the intersection to the south is excellent. Property damage is a shame but thankfully bodily injury wasn't too serious.

Posted on: 2016/8/7 15:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Cchastain wrote:
I was around the corner when it happened so I saw the immediate aftermath and heard witnesses describing the accident to the police.

A red sedan traveling north on Jersey ave t-boned a motorcyclist who was just starting to enter the intersection traveling west on Columbus. On impact, the rider went up and over the car, caving in the car's windshield. Amazingly, he was unhurt! The motorcycle was slammed sideways and slid down jersey avenue in the same direction the red car had been traveling. It came to a rest in front of chocopain and burst into flames. The fire spread to a Nissan Maxima which was parked on the side of the road.

The driver of the red car claimed he had a green light, but the police said they had six witnesses telling them that the light had already changed to green for the Columbus ave direction, hence the motorcycle and multiple pedestrian wirnesses having entered the intersection when the red car came through it.

The bike burnt completely and the Maxima was also totaled, both taken away on flatbed trucks.

In classic JC fashion, all the broken glass and fire debris is still on the road where the fire occurred.

Thanks for the detailed account.

Sadly, lots of motorists continue to flaunt stop signs and traffic lights while speeding in JC residential streets. We will likely now get the electronic billboard admonishing drivers to watch their speed for a few days and it will then get moved somewhere else. What we really need is true, consistent enforcement of traffic laws. I have personally witnessed many cars gun it down Jersey Avenue to try and beat the light as it changes from yellow to red.

Posted on: 2016/8/7 14:22

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/8/7 11:34
From Jersey city
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/8/7 11:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mrspigglewiggle wrote:
Not sure but last night at least 5 motorcycles roared around my block several times and I mean roared, woke up the entire family. Started around 8pm and went all the way until 4am. I've never heard so much motorcycle noise in all the years I've lived here. My husband and I were just wondering this morning if motorcycle drag racing was a new thing to the area lol.

Do a search here in JCLIST and you will find that motorcycle noise was a common complaint in the VVP area some years back.

I can tell you that the weather for riding hasn't been that great this summer, so yesterday was a particularly good day that brought out a lot of riders out on the street, including myself. It's a shame that some asshats choose to be a nuisance by riding and roaring neighborhood streets late at night, but not all riders are that inconsiderate.

Given that Sumer is half over, you will likely find a lot more riders on weekends trying to get in some wheel time while the weather is still good.

Posted on: 2016/8/6 21:38

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 18:00
From DTJC
Group:
Registered Users
Heard the crash while walking up Newark Ave, probably a little before midnight or around there. Within minutes something was up in flames on Jersey. Hope injuries were minor or nonexistent -- but it was a scary sight.

Posted on: 2016/8/6 18:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/10 13:10
From Downtown JC, VVP Area
Group:
Registered Users
Walked past that area this morning before seeing this thread. The pavement looked scorched like there had been a fire and there was still minor debris. Couldn't find any new on this.

The dragging bikes are nothing new but they usually stick to the main arteries like Columbus or Montgomery. Going around the block isn't usually their thing. It's mainly Friday and Saturday nights. They go crazy-fast, make a ton of noise and we all hate it

Posted on: 2016/8/6 17:53

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/18 19:10
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Not sure but last night at least 5 motorcycles roared around my block several times and I mean roared, woke up the entire family. Started around 8pm and went all the way until 4am. I've never heard so much motorcycle noise in all the years I've lived here. My husband and I were just wondering this morning if motorcycle drag racing was a new thing to the area lol.

Posted on: 2016/8/6 17:26

Crash on Jersey Ave, Friday Night Aug 5

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/6 22:30
Group:
Registered Users
Did anyone witness or know details of the crash that happened on Jersey Ave last night around midnight? I saw what appeared to be a motorcycle crushed under a car in front of Choc-o-pain and there's still a bunch of debris and torn up pavement there now.

Posted on: 2016/8/6 17:13

« 1 (2)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017