Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
82 user(s) are online (66 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 82

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 (4)

Re: Rainbow to be replaced by Hoboken restaurant group responsible for 1 Republik
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Kalen wrote:
I never understood how some of those cheap department stores and bodegas could afford to stay open with how high rents are. Man how things have changed downtown!

Long leases. Decades long leases were not uncommon.

Posted on: 2016/8/5 20:53

Re: Rainbow to be replaced by Hoboken restaurant group responsible for 1 Republik
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/23 7:20
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I never understood how some of those cheap department stores and bodegas could afford to stay open with how high rents are. Man how things have changed downtown!

Posted on: 2016/8/5 20:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/12 17:59
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Also, which bar will be open first, this one, or Monty's?

Posted on: 2016/8/5 19:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/12 17:59
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

ErieStreet4Life wrote:
You are legit buggin.

Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
A crappy eyesore is being shut down and some of you are complaining?

Might want to walk outside and get a better perspective on things, lol. This is only good news for that street.

I have a feeling you are a new arrival. It's far better and safer to dodge "Jersey bros" than it was to navigate the "urban element" that persisted there until recently. Just the truth.

That stretch is already overrun with popped collars lining up behind a rope to get into Porta, so I don't see what difference another one of these places makes. I wouldn't drink there, but I'd say it will be an improvement over Rainbow.

And for the luddites, you've still got National Discount, CH Martin, Sleep Cheap, Fabco Shoes, Super Discount, Jemma Loans and all the other old shitty stores still there for you to bizarrely revere as representing some sort of golden age that once existed in this town, but of course never patronize.

If you're the kind of person who will be sad the day 99 Cent Dreams closes shop, I suggest you try The Heights. It's still 1981 on Central Ave.

Posted on: 2016/8/5 19:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
interesting development, what's going on with the space that hard grove was going to occupy? i see that are also working on the empty lot next to that space - any news?

Posted on: 2016/8/5 18:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/4/20 13:22
Group:
Registered Users
Excellent point actually. You are right and the douche factor should not be underestimated when combined with large amounts of alcohol.

Posted on: 2016/8/5 18:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ErieStreet4Life wrote:
You are legit buggin.

Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:

Might want to walk outside and get a better perspective on things, lol. This is only good news for that street.

I have a feeling you are a new arrival. It's far better and safer to dodge "Jersey bros" than it was to navigate the "urban element" that persisted there until recently. Just the truth.

Posted on: 2016/8/5 18:13

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/7 12:19
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
You are legit buggin.

Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:

Posted on: 2016/8/5 18:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/8/5 18:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ErieStreet4Life wrote:
I mean, not threatening like I'm going to die by walking around them, but maybe that these drunken kids might start shit if they see a gay couple holding hands. Feel me?

Quote:

val7101 wrote:
Sadly it is a supply and demand issue. I too have had to weave through the pedestrian plaza on the way home, but I haven't found it threatening even late at night. Douchie, definitely, threatening, not unless you are threatened by douchebags and "women in tank tops" (really?).

yup, this is part of the crowd they will draw.

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/l ... ce09-Photos-Suspects.html

Posted on: 2016/8/5 17:57

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I don't really know what I mean by the tank tops comment. Excise it from what I said. Not entirely illustrative of my bigger point.

Quote:

val7101 wrote:
Sadly it is a supply and demand issue. I too have had to weave through the pedestrian plaza on the way home, but I haven't found it threatening even late at night. Douchie, definitely, threatening, not unless you are threatened by douchebags and "women in tank tops" (really?).

Posted on: 2016/8/5 17:13

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I mean, not threatening like I'm going to die by walking around them, but maybe that these drunken kids might start shit if they see a gay couple holding hands. Feel me?

Quote:

val7101 wrote:

Posted on: 2016/8/5 17:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JcDevil wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
This is really lame. That end of Newark Ave is becoming pretty shameful. It brings the exact element seen in Hoboken. It's not a good element.

BTW, why is Republik spelled with a K like that?

Oh come on. That store is gigantic, what else could it really be than a big sports bar/lounge thingy? JC can support places like that *as well as* places like Pet Shop and The Archer.

I agree that the size of the pace is problematic, but why does it have to be a bar? I can think of some solutions:

1. Divide the space up into several storefronts.
2. Food halls are all the rage, and immensely popular
3. Large single restaurant

These "mega bars" especially ones with a thousand TVs, attract one type of person, and it's a pretty annoying type of person, I'm sorry.

As somebody said, it's the lowest common denominator. I thought for all these years that Jersey City would take learnings from Hoboken's "night life" and do things to prevent that, but it's happening (already happened, even).

I don't want to make a big deal out of it, or sound overly negative, but it's just kind of depressing, haha.

Posted on: 2016/8/5 17:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/4/20 13:22
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/8/5 17:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/1/12 22:36
From the village
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

third_street_hats wrote:
There goes the neighborhood.

Not that I thought Rainbow could or should last. And I know I'm being hyperbolic as there are still plenty of interesting places opening up like The Pet Shop right down the block. That being said, I'm never going to be happy about another mega bar with 400 TV's.

link

So.. don't go? Wait, that sounds too complicated. Let me think about this and get back to you.

Let me know what you come up with. This is a great contribution so far, though.

I think my measured comment, explicitly mentioning that the aphorism was hyperbolic and then following that up with a caveat that other smaller, interesting ventures also continue to open, makes it obvious that I'm in a real state of panic here and won't know what to do when this place opens its doors.

Posted on: 2016/8/5 17:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Not everyone in Jersey City lives dtjc, is married to some lady filled with botox and looks like a duck, or is in their 60's. Seems like every time I bar opens up all the seniors and married folks with no lives come out of the woodwork.

Posted on: 2016/8/5 17:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

third_street_hats wrote:

Not that I thought Rainbow could or should last. And I know I'm being hyperbolic as there are still plenty of interesting places opening up like The Pet Shop right down the block. That being said, I'm never going to be happy about another mega bar with 400 TV's.

link

So.. don't go? Wait, that sounds too complicated. Let me think about this and get back to you.

Posted on: 2016/8/5 16:54

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
The neighborhood has made it pretty clear that most new bars are catering to real lowest common denominator types. There's still no music venue (Yes, I know about Monty Hall) really downtown. Do we need another major establishment with 30,000 tv screens and women in tank tops? I say the neighborhood does not.

Quote:

third_street_hats wrote:
Quote:

JcDevil wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
This is really lame. That end of Newark Ave is becoming pretty shameful. It brings the exact element seen in Hoboken. It's not a good element.

Oh come on. That store is gigantic, what else could it really be than a big sports bar/lounge thingy? JC can support places like that *as well as* places like Pet Shop and The Archer.

Agreed it is an unruly space. But why not give me something to do other than sit down and eat shitty bar food while watching a game. Something like the Royal Palms Shuffleboard Club in Gowanus would be packed 7 nights a week.

Or segment/sublease the space and turn it into a food court like Berg'n that allows up-and-coming restaurants a shot at some space without the huge overhead.

Posted on: 2016/8/5 16:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From the village
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JcDevil wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:

Agreed it is an unruly space. But why not give me something to do other than sit down and eat shitty bar food while watching a game. Something like the Royal Palms Shuffleboard Club in Gowanus would be packed 7 nights a week.

Or segment/sublease the space and turn it into a food court like Berg'n that allows up-and-coming restaurants a shot at some space without the huge overhead.

Posted on: 2016/8/5 16:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/23 15:07
From Between Thought and Expression
Group:
Registered Users
I can see it attracting weekend spillover bar crowd from Hoboken when people can't find a parking spot. Not a good, um, development.

Posted on: 2016/8/5 16:26

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Nah...those types of places make Newark Ave. a shitty party palace on weekends, and it feels dodgy as hell to have to weave in and out of Jersey bros when I'm walking to my home from work.

Quote:

JcDevil wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:

Posted on: 2016/8/5 16:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/5 16:03
From PAD
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:

Posted on: 2016/8/5 16:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/8/5 15:52

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/2 21:46
Group:
Registered Users
@ErieStreet4Life, unfortunately, yes. It has happened and will continue to happen:

LGBT pride flag set on fire outside Jersey City salon

The city's 16th annual LGBT pride festival occurs later this month, but not everyone may be feeling love toward the gay community.

Someone appears to have set fire to a rainbow-colored pride flag that the owner of Montgomery Street salon The Hair Room has had hanging from a flower box outside her front door since the place opened in late June.

Salon owner Anatalie David told The Jersey Journal this morning she was away last weekend and found the burned flag upon her return yesterday. David said she hopes the flag was set ablaze as the result of a personal grudge or as a prank and not as an act of hatred toward the LGBT community.

She said when she first saw the burned remnants of the flag yesterday morning, "My heart sank, and I felt sick to my stomach."

David posted a picture of the charred flag on Instagram yesterday, adding, "Whoever did this I hope you find the peace in your heart you are so clearly missing."

Police and fire investigators are reviewing security footage from neighboring buildings taken during the weekend, when the apparent act of arson is believed to have occurred, according to city spokeswoman Jennifer Morrill.

The incident comes about a month before the 16th annual LGBT pride festival, an all-day street fair scheduled for Saturday, Aug. 27 at Newark Avenue and Grove Street.

City officials believe Jersey City has the state's largest LGBT community. Human Rights Campaign has for three years in a row ranked Jersey City the No. 1 city in New Jersey for LGBT-inclusive laws and policies.

"We are saddened to see this kind of hate in our community, which we know is not representative of Jersey City," Morrill said. "Our police are actively working to identify the person or persons who committed this crime and will hold them fully accountable under the law."

David said the flag came into her possession in a mysterious way: she found it on the salon's front stoop on June 14 ? Flag Day and also the day thousands gathered on Newark Avenue to honor the victims of the June 12 massacre at Orlando gay nightclub Pulse that left 49 dead.

She calls the flag appearing at her salon that day "a cosmic sign.

"It found me," she said.

David said she's in contact with a local LGBT group to paint the front of her salon. She wants to turn the exterior into an even larger tribute to the gay community, as a message to the person who destroyed her pride flag.

"You're not shutting us up," she said.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... a.html#incart_2box_hudson

Posted on: 2016/8/5 15:30

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Does that happen?

I honestly wouldn't be surprised.

Quote:

bearbear2013 wrote:
To say I'm not happy about this is an understatement, there is nothing worse than JC becoming Hoboken Jr. We don't need drunk meat heads roaming our streets burning Pride flags at 3am. Keep that BS in Hoboken where it belongs.

Posted on: 2016/8/5 15:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
Slowly but surely, the interlopers are getting their wish of all the dollar/discount stores in the neighborhood closing.

National Discount Store, please hold your ground!

Posted on: 2016/8/5 15:04

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/2 21:46
Group:
Registered Users
To say I'm not happy about this is an understatement, there is nothing worse than JC becoming Hoboken Jr. We don't need drunk meat heads roaming our streets burning Pride flags at 3am. Keep that BS in Hoboken where it belongs.

Posted on: 2016/8/5 14:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/8 3:24
Group:
Registered Users
good luck to them getting the odor out of that place. I tried to shop there for cheap tees once and everything reeked of mildew.

Posted on: 2016/8/5 14:55

Rainbow to be replaced by Hoboken restaurant group responsible for 1 Republik
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From the village
Group:
Registered Users

link

Posted on: 2016/8/5 14:47

« 1 2 3 (4)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017