Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
102 user(s) are online (90 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 102

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Longish-time JC resident interested in buying...somewhere
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/9/4 14:31
Group:
Registered Users
Bidding wars on properties downtown or when you switched to jsq ? Or both ?

Ive heard numerous bidding wars in nice areas BL and greenville

Posted on: 2016/10/18 15:57

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/12 2:03
From downtown jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
We were in a similar situation as you: renting in downtown JC for 8 years, looking for a safe-ish house with a meager yard. Looking for property in downtown was Hell so we just gave up. After 8 months of searching, we moved our hunt to journal square and closed on a property that was a little over the price range you suggested. Though I do see properties in JSQ in the 350-375k price range from time to time. The area is a bit grimy & depressing but that will most likely change as all the high rises go up. McGinley Square might be a good option-there seem to be more things going on over there (small restaurants, mom & pop etc.)

Good luck to you. This was the most stressful process. Everyone bids over asking price and there are many bidding wars. If you like something, make sure you are pre-approved and are able to move fast.

Posted on: 2016/10/18 14:21

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/7 12:19
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I feel like I should really go check it out. Thanks again for the tip.

Quote:

bunny22 wrote:
It is really is cute inside too. The couple selling are neighbors/friends who just had a baby and want to live near the shore. It's on Sherman very close to the corner of Bower. There are trees and friendly neighbors in this very nice little pocket of Sherman.

Posted on: 2016/8/5 16:18

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/22 17:15
Group:
Registered Users
It is really is cute inside too. The couple selling are neighbors/friends who just had a baby and want to live near the shore. It's on Sherman very close to the corner of Bower. There are trees and friendly neighbors in this very nice little pocket of Sherman.

Posted on: 2016/8/4 12:36

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks for all of the input based on my question; i truly appreciate it.

Posted on: 2016/8/4 12:30

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Oh that is SO NICE!

Quote:

bunny22 wrote:
This place in the heights looks cute and has outdoor space. That's a nice block and near Ogden and the park.

http://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale/Jersey-City-NJ-07307/pmf,pf_pt/82171004_zpid/60644_rid/40.769589,-74.036479,40.730608,-74.066391_rect/14_zm/?3col=true

Posted on: 2016/8/4 12:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

iGreg wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

iGreg wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

iGreg wrote:
Quote:

third_street_hats wrote:
This is the best looking place I've seen in your budget. Looks to me like it would be less than a 10 min walk to JSQ.

I actually wanted to look at it for myself but haven't gotten around to it.

FOR SALE
$314,900
Price cut: -$10,100 (7/27)

Gheez, and they just drop the very reasonable price by 10k

I wonder if you get triage service for your sphincter after buying that......

No kidding... that's one fugly apartment. And, for that size (with an apparent layout that includes a tiny bedroom) and the ridiculously outdated finishes and horrendous looking bathroom, I wouldn't even pay 200K for that unit. You can get a condo of similar dimensions, with much better finishes and layout, in BeLa and pay the same price of around 320K.

It is a solid brick prewar with original oak wood floors and what may be an original classic subway tile bathroom - not too shabby
for people who can accept 'classic' and 'art deco'.

But not at that inflated price, those streets are lined with old school pre war buildings and they have a ton of character opposed to moving into a new sanitized type hotel room apartment.

Holla @ Yo Boyz

A pre war from 1984? Which war is that!? Desert Storm??

That kitchen is more outdated than pastel colors, and the octagonal bathroom toilet and sink are tacky and supremely outdated. But sure, all that character is so much better than "a new sanitized type hotel room apartment".

Stay clueless and in DTJC

Are All People Who Move to DTJC From Ohio Stupid ?

What a PreWar Looks Like From Outisde

Really cute... and yet, the unit facts, as stated by the realtor, clearly say BUILT IN 1984. But yeah, go with the insults.

Posted on: 2016/8/3 23:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/11 14:10
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

ErieStreet4Life wrote:
The Heights aren't necessarily out as I am open to a place with a longer commute if it is nice.

If that's the case go wander around up there, or better yet bike. Check out streets like Reservoir & Booraem between Palisade & the Reservoir. Or Sherman Pl, or all the other cute little gem blocks tucked away within a 20 minute walk of JSQ PATH. There's no doubt a lot of the Heights is butt ugly looking like somebody shook a can of house styles and dumped it out, but there plenty nice there.

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/50- ... NJ-07307/2097984033_zpid/

RE: Hilltop. Great neighborhood but very little inventory.

BTW, don't believe Zestimates, particularly about multifamilies, they have no clue. I just looked at their page on my Heights 3U, where I had input the correct details, and they estimate the rent at half of what I'm getting!

Great building that has always been well kept.

Is it pre desert storm ?

Holla @ Yo Boyz

Posted on: 2016/8/3 22:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

ErieStreet4Life wrote:
The Heights aren't necessarily out as I am open to a place with a longer commute if it is nice.

If that's the case go wander around up there, or better yet bike. Check out streets like Reservoir & Booraem between Palisade & the Reservoir. Or Sherman Pl, or all the other cute little gem blocks tucked away within a 20 minute walk of JSQ PATH. There's no doubt a lot of the Heights is butt ugly looking like somebody shook a can of house styles and dumped it out, but there plenty nice there.

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/50- ... NJ-07307/2097984033_zpid/

RE: Hilltop. Great neighborhood but very little inventory.

BTW, don't believe Zestimates, particularly about multifamilies, they have no clue. I just looked at their page on my Heights 3U, where I had input the correct details, and they estimate the rent at half of what I'm getting!

Posted on: 2016/8/3 22:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

iGreg wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

iGreg wrote:
Quote:

third_street_hats wrote:
This is the best looking place I've seen in your budget. Looks to me like it would be less than a 10 min walk to JSQ.

FOR SALE
$314,900

No kidding... that's one fugly apartment. And, for that size (with an apparent layout that includes a tiny bedroom) and the ridiculously outdated finishes and horrendous looking bathroom, I wouldn't even pay 200K for that unit. You can get a condo of similar dimensions, with much better finishes and layout, in BeLa and pay the same price of around 320K.

It is a solid brick prewar with original oak wood floors and what may be an original classic subway tile bathroom - not too shabby

But not at that inflated price, those streets are lined with old school pre war buildings and they have a ton of character opposed to moving into a new sanitized type hotel room apartment.

Holla @ Yo Boyz

That kitchen is more outdated than pastel colors, and the octagonal bathroom toilet and sink are tacky and supremely outdated. But sure, all that character is so much better than "a new sanitized type hotel room apartment".

Stay clueless and in DTJC

Are All People Who Move to DTJC From Ohio Stupid ?

What a PreWar Looks Like From Outisde

Posted on: 2016/8/3 21:44

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/4/2 15:51
From Lincoln Park
Group:
Registered Users
Man, I looked at that place a few years ago pre-reno. It was a dump, so crazy to see it now like that

Posted on: 2016/8/3 19:54

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
It's the $269,000 condo on Sherman Avenue.

Posted on: 2016/8/3 19:39

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
This place in the heights looks cute and has outdoor space. That's a nice block and near Ogden and the park.

http://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale/Jersey-City-NJ-07307/pmf,pf_pt/82171004_zpid/60644_rid/40.769589,-74.036479,40.730608,-74.066391_rect/14_zm/?3col=true

Posted on: 2016/8/3 19:37

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I think this apartment looks really nice, to be honest.

Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

iGreg wrote:
Quote:

third_street_hats wrote:

FOR SALE
$314,900

Posted on: 2016/8/3 14:44

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Also really good advice.

Quote:

Voyeur wrote:
Quote:

kencares wrote:
Keep renting if you're getting a good deal. You're throwing your money away buying in this bubble.

This is the best piece of advice you're gonna get. Your $325k maximum budget isn't giving you many PATH adjacent options in the current market. It makes absolutely no sense to buy somewhere now when less than 18 months from now, with the reval coming into effect there should (theoretically) be a surge of sellers clamoring into the market at the same time.

If I were in your shoes, I'd be stashing money away for the next year-and-a-half waiting for the post-reval flood of new sales. You say you're ready to buy now, but being smart and timing your purchase would likely maximise what you can get for your money and increases the chances you find a place withing stumbling distance of a PATH stop. Best of luck to you.

Posted on: 2016/8/3 14:41

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Yes, I have seen this place. Do you think a fourth-floor walk up in JSQ is a good idea? I'm scared that weird high rises would start popping up all around that area. That's my only concern. Otherwise I really like it.

Quote:

third_street_hats wrote:

Posted on: 2016/8/3 14:39

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I think the Beacon is out for me just because it's not so much a neighborhood but a big tower in the sky, but I won't rule it out.

I'll look at the home you suggested, and yes, I am on Zillow constantly.

I've lived downtown for long enough; it's time to get up on outta here.

Quote:

Dolomiti wrote:
Quote:

ErieStreet4Life wrote:
Anywhere from $250-$300/$325....

If you haven't used it already, Zillow is your friend. You can punch in your price range, and see some listings. From there, I'd ask people here about some specifics.

I don't see anything downtown at all in that range. I assume Heights are out, so you're mostly looking SW of JSQ.

The Beacon has a few 1BR units in your price range.

There's also a listing for 72 Gaultier Ave for $300k. 4BR, near Lincoln Park, new hardwood floors, yard. The park is kind of small, but pleasant. I think that area is OK, although I'm not an expert on that part of town.

I concur with Getz, inventory in JC is very tight. I wouldn't bid on something you don't like, but be prepared to move very fast if you see something you do like....

Posted on: 2016/8/3 14:36

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks so much. I'm definitely open to all neighborhoods and areas.

Quote:

getz011 wrote:
Check out Lafayette - I've lived here eight years and love it. There's a great feeling of community and, despite what's often suggested in this forum, safety hasn't been an issue for anyone I know. (As anywhere, there are occasional annoyances, of course.) But maybe it's those perceptions that are keeping it from being "overrun by insane people" as you said?

As mentioned earlier, inventory here is a problem, but that may ease soonish as more projects come online.

I'm not a fan of the Foundry, but it currently offers units that are in both your price and size range, and is right on the Light Rail. And, although I believe all units are now spoken for, the long-delayed renovation of Saints Lofts seems to be nearing completion (http://www.saintlofts.com/). I looked at a beautiful ~800 sq. ft. loft there when it was available out of curiosity, and it was going for about $260K. It gives you a sense of what you can get out here!

Posted on: 2016/8/3 14:34

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
That's really good advice. Thank you. I did find a place in JSQ I'm going to look at this week. Not going to purchase it, but doing as you suggested and just going to look.

Quote:

exart wrote:
My advice is to just start going to open houses/seeing places that are for sale.

I think even if you're not ready to put in an offer right this moment, it's helpful/educational to go look at places that are for sale in your price range.
For one, just getting to the places helps you see neighborhoods/areas...but then after a while you'll start to get a sense of what you can get for what price and how the commutes are, and maybe be more sure when something does pop up that you like. Being quick in this market is important!

That's sort of how my partner and I did it (unintentionally, as it were, though). We just closed on a place in JSQ, after spending over a year looking to buy something (I've been a renter in downtown for 16 yrs).

Posted on: 2016/8/3 14:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

iGreg wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

iGreg wrote:
Quote:

third_street_hats wrote:

FOR SALE
$314,900

Holla @ Yo Boyz

Posted on: 2016/8/3 12:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

iGreg wrote:
Quote:

third_street_hats wrote:

FOR SALE
$314,900

Holla @ Yo Boyz

Posted on: 2016/8/3 3:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

iGreg wrote:
Quote:

third_street_hats wrote:

FOR SALE
$314,900

Posted on: 2016/8/3 1:37

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/1 12:42
From Hilltop
Group:
Registered Users
Just bought in the hilltop area (Chestnut Ave). Its an 8 min walk to the JSQ path, a 15 min walk to downtown, 15 min walk to India Sq (I love India sq) and easy for access to the Turnpike. Its a really nice residential area. You can certainly get a place for <300K here - the Courthouse Place property/area might be good too. We also looked at a beautiful property on Romaine Av but was a little too far from the path and downtown restaurants.

Posted on: 2016/8/2 19:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

third_street_hats wrote:

FOR SALE
$314,900

Posted on: 2016/7/31 21:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/1/12 22:36
From the village
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

third_street_hats wrote:

What's interesting is the property taxes will almost triple after the reval on that property, from $2.5k to ~$7k (2.234% * $315k).

Property tax calculator

The taxes will certainly go up, but I think the price is still high and would imagine the assessment to come in closer to 250k based on sales of 2br's in that area over the last 12 months. About a doubling instead of tripling.

Either way, if the buyer is currently in downtown getting a sweetheart deal, that will likely end once their property owner gets hit with reval.

Posted on: 2016/7/31 17:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

third_street_hats wrote:

What's interesting is the property taxes will almost triple after the reval on that property, from $2.5k to ~$7k (2.234% * $315k).

Property tax calculator

Posted on: 2016/7/31 16:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jellybell wrote:
It is about 15 minutes by lightrail to the path.

This is only true if you are taking the Bayonne Flyer out of the 45th St station, and going to Exchange Place, and willing to make a mad dash from the light rail station to the PATH station and down the escalators to the platform, or perhaps if headed to Newport and able to tele transport yourself to the PATH station.

I always find it odd that people minimize commute times by claiming numbers that are simply not realistic. I used to commute by light rail on occasion, from LSP, to both Exchange Place and Newport, and grew increasingly frustrated with the sheer amount of time it added to my commute. The light rail is undoubtedly a success story, but it is certainly not a fast commuting method. If commuting from Bayonne, definitely allow yourself 25 minutes to connect with whatever PATH train you wish to board. In addition to stamping your ticket (if using single ride tickets) and boarding the light rail, invariably you will hit delays or trains will fail to show up, and you then need to make your way from the light rail station to the PATH platform. At Exchange Place it is either the annoying elevator into which people try to cram themselves even when obviously full, or going to the main entrance and then riding those long escalators (all too often one is out of order) down to the platform area, and at Newport you have to walk all the way to the PATH entrance crossing two streets busy with traffic and then ride the escalator down and backtrack underground to where you came from in the first place.

Posted on: 2016/7/31 16:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/1/12 22:36
From the village
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/7/31 15:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Bayonne is weird "frozen in time" place, and their taxes are 3.16%, similar to Union City.

Posted on: 2016/7/31 3:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GlitterQueen wrote:
I looked at Union city and Bayonne. If you are going to go that route buy a house near communipaw in Bergan Layfette. Bayonne is much more insular and doesn't feel like a city which is fine if that's what you are looking for. Union City's taxes are bonkers so I'd stay away from there.

I had a neighbor from downtown move to Bayonne within a few days his new neighbor expressed that he was happy the person moving in wasn't a not nice term for black ppl and Spanish people. I feel like Bayonne is an extension of staten island.

I also looked in Bayonne before settling on Greenville. Bayonne felt like a very racist place and it had a nasty Bensonhurst vibe and you are right I believe it is an extension of SI. I prefer where I am 100/100. I also think Bayonne is worst at accepting new comers even more so than JC.

Posted on: 2016/7/31 3:00

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017