Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
101 user(s) are online (86 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 101

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Cockroach at Modera Lofts
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/6 1:31
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
In all seriousness, they sent pest control out and it seemed to clear the problem. I haven't seen another one. Interesting, because that's where we saw one too. Private message me if you want more details - the property manager's response wasn't exactly great, but that's not surprising considering the other issues we've dealt with.

Posted on: 2016/12/12 16:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/22 2:50
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
MOVE

Resized Image

Better quarantine the truck they can move with you.

Posted on: 2016/12/12 2:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Kd11585 wrote:
What has happened since with your situation? We just killed one in our bathroom at Modera. I'm pretty disgusted.

How will you be able to sleep?

Posted on: 2016/12/12 2:25

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/12/12 2:19
From Nj
Group:
Registered Users
What has happened since with your situation? We just killed one in our bathroom at Modera. I'm pretty disgusted.

Posted on: 2016/12/12 2:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/1/12 22:36
From the village
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

paulushooker wrote:
There are two kinds of roaches in the city ? "waterbugs," giant roaches that can fly (they can be over an inch long) and the regular roaches (usually between 1/2" and and 3/4".)

Waterbugs typically live in the walls or basements and in dark moist areas in old buildings. They look nasty but typically you don't see them very often since they don't live in the apartment. And they are not typically a problem unless the apartment has a hole in the wallboard where they are getting into the apartment.

The smaller roaches are the real problem. They typically live in the apartment and can be in the sink, fridge, kitchen cabinets or range. You need to do a bug bomb to get rid of them.

Yup. If what you're seeing is the bigger one (American cockroach/waterbug), in my experience, you're seeing them when they're on their last legs or just out enjoying the warm weather. Take a shoe to it and don't sweat it too much.

Posted on: 2016/7/25 23:49

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/9/27 23:02
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
There are two kinds of roaches in the city ? "waterbugs," giant roaches that can fly (they can be over an inch long) and the regular roaches (usually between 1/2" and and 3/4".)

Waterbugs typically live in the walls or basements and in dark moist areas in old buildings. They look nasty but typically you don't see them very often since they don't live in the apartment. And they are not typically a problem unless the apartment has a hole in the wallboard where they are getting into the apartment.

The smaller roaches are the real problem. They typically live in the apartment and can be in the sink, fridge, kitchen cabinets or range. You need to do a bug bomb to get rid of them.

Posted on: 2016/7/25 22:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
I've had to deal with cockroaches sporadically in the past - in NYC but never JC. Anyway, laying roach motels all over the place along with treatments from a professional exterminator took care of the problem pretty quickly. I'm not as freaked out with roaches as I am with mice and bed bugs. Roaches seem the easiest to deal with of the three. It also goes without saying that you shouldn't leave any food out - not even dirty dishes in the sink. Wipe up all surfaces that might have crumbs and food stains. Store everything in air tight containers and use a kitchen garbage can with a pop-up lid. Let the vermin find their food elsewhere. Good luck!

Posted on: 2016/7/25 21:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
Probably the exposed brick and exposed ductwork do not help. You may have to seal any gaps or holes around your apartment.

Posted on: 2016/7/25 21:12

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I appreciate the helpful responses, and the sarcastic ones are pretty funny actually. I didn't think this would be such a hot topic, I guess it's a slow day in JC :) I know this is a first-world problem that does not scale with what other people around the world have to deal with, but that being said, it's not something we really want to have living with us. Maybe if they helped out with the rent it would be cool, but then again, not really.

I was surprised with this being a new building too - I know it's not really new, but from what I understand they pretty much had to gut the place and start all over. I am the first one to complain about them in the building so I guess we get the gold star. And we are clean, we even have the place professionally cleaned once a week.

I'm more ok with the ants and fruit flies - it is summer-time after all. I grew up out in the boring suburbs of Somerset County so I know what kind of bugs come out in the summer. I've never lived in a place that had cock roaches, after living in a few different places.

What Bill said makes sense to me. Usually these lovely creatures do come out at night which was surprising that we saw it in the middle of the day. That led me to believe that it's a bigger problem.

And no, they are not from Brooklyn. Maybe others brought them from Brooklyn, but not us. We moved here from the left coast after living out there for 7 years.

Posted on: 2016/7/25 20:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/3/26 15:30
Group:
Registered Users
When a lot of new people are moving in to a new building, they may be moving in more than just their furniture. They can be hiding in boxes and couches etc.

Posted on: 2016/7/25 20:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Maybe the roach just hitched a ride when you moved from Brooklyn?

Posted on: 2016/7/25 20:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/4/21 14:20
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JonnyF86 wrote:
We were shocked and startled when we found a cockroach crawling in our bathroom yeaterday. It scurried off before we could catch it but either the same one or a different one re-appeared last night in our kitchen.

Is this a sign of a large infestation? Who do you report this to at the city?

The property manager wouldn't authorize the staff to take immediate action so we need to wait until tomorrow for pest control to come. Pretty gross especially for the price that we pay in rent.

but what do you really expect moving into a 100 year old abandoned warehouse? this is not new construction, there are probably all sorts of nasty insects and vermins there before they renovated, only logical some are left behind.

Just be a good neighbor and make peace with it, or move out.

Posted on: 2016/7/25 20:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bill wrote:
Quote:

JonnyF86 wrote:
We were shocked and startled when we found a cockroach crawling in our bathroom yeaterday. It scurried off before we could catch it but either the same one or a different one re-appeared last night in our kitchen.

Is this a sign of a large infestation?

Hi Jonny, unfortunately,

"cockroaches are typically nocturnal and rest for about 75% of the day. If you see them during the daytime hours, it?s a good indication that you have a serious infestation on your hands. Some people believe that for every one cockroach that you do see, there are hundreds of cockroaches that you don?t see hiding in cabinets, walls, and other choice places."

I don't recall ever having a cockroach in the last 11 years in JC. This is in my current place and my previous addresses.

On the other hand, I have had centipedes (many that were 3" long, eww!!!), fruit flies, ants, etc.

I have to agree with what bill said: in my 10+ years in Jersey City, I have never had to deal with roaches, or mice, in the two places where I have lived (both new construction) so it is definitely surprising (and, disappointing) that a new building like Modera would have a roach problem just a few months after opening. In fact, I am usually pleasantly surprised by the relative absence of roaches, mice or rats on JC streets despite all the littering. I see roaches and rats all over Manhattan all the time, but I never see them here.

Posted on: 2016/7/25 17:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/14 20:15
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JonnyF86 wrote:

Is this a sign of a large infestation?

Hi Jonny, unfortunately,

"cockroaches are typically nocturnal and rest for about 75% of the day. If you see them during the daytime hours, it?s a good indication that you have a serious infestation on your hands. Some people believe that for every one cockroach that you do see, there are hundreds of cockroaches that you don?t see hiding in cabinets, walls, and other choice places."

I don't recall ever having a cockroach in the last 11 years in JC. This is in my current place and my previous addresses.

On the other hand, I have had centipedes (many that were 3" long, eww!!!), fruit flies, ants, etc.

Posted on: 2016/7/25 16:08

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/14 13:47
Group:
Registered Users
A COCKROACH???!!!! IN A CITY????!!!!!! RUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted on: 2016/7/25 15:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JC_Man wrote:
Quote:

JonnyF86 wrote:

The property manager wouldn't authorize the staff to take immediate action so we need to wait until tomorrow for pest control to come. Pretty gross especially for the price that we pay in rent.

I think this gets reported to the Jersey City Division of Cockroach Awareness, Dept of Scared Hipsters

Hands down one of the funniest JCLIST retorts ever.

Posted on: 2016/7/25 12:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

You kill cockroaches but not geese? What a speciest.

Haha _ I never said otherwise. It's a jungle out there.

Posted on: 2016/7/25 4:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jerseymom wrote:
Quote:

JonnyF86 wrote:

God, I so badly want your life right now. Blessed are you that a cockroach is startling.

Meanwhile, in Syria...

First off this is not Syria. This resident has a problem that should get resolved, no matter how much the rent is no tenant should have to put up with this. So tell Syria to stand in line with all the others around the world. We have unfinished business at home to take care of first.

Posted on: 2016/7/25 3:44
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/30 16:48
Group:
Registered Users
You could buy some iguanas or frogs. They each roaches. Certain species of wasps will also lay their eggs in the roaches.

Posted on: 2016/7/25 2:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

You kill cockroaches but not geese? What a speciest.

Posted on: 2016/7/25 1:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/7/25 1:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jerseymom wrote:
Quote:

JonnyF86 wrote:

God, I so badly want your life right now. Blessed are you that a cockroach is startling.

Meanwhile, in Syria...

Oh, please. I'll remember this next time you post an alarmist article.

Posted on: 2016/7/25 0:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JonnyF86 wrote:

Meanwhile, in Syria...

Posted on: 2016/7/24 22:48

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
You guys are just too funny. And the hipster comment - that's just not cool :)

I guess I'm just freaked out. I've lived in a city/urban setting before but haven't experienced a roach problem before.

Posted on: 2016/7/24 22:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
MOVE

Resized Image

Posted on: 2016/7/24 22:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I think you should skip the city and go straight to the federal bureau of roaches.

There is no time to lose.

Robin.

Posted on: 2016/7/24 22:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Definitely a sign. This is what comes with living in a tenement style apartment house. Large complexes with various amounts of residents will breed this type of invitation.

Posted on: 2016/7/24 21:53
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/5/31 3:07
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JonnyF86 wrote:

I think this gets reported to the Jersey City Division of Cockroach Awareness, Dept of Scared Hipsters

Posted on: 2016/7/24 21:51

Cockroach at Modera Lofts
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/7/24 21:28

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017