Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
105 user(s) are online (90 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 105

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Bedbugs throughout apartment building
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
That is incorrect and if you made tenants pay for this, you are a slum lord.

From http://www.lsnjlaw.org/Housing/Landlo ... r-Rights-as-a-Tenant.aspx

The courts in New Jersey have said that it is a landlord?s duty to provide his or her tenants with a safe, livable apartment, one that is not infested with bugs or other things. This is called the ?warranty of habitability.? Unless the landlord can prove that the tenant caused a problem, it is the landlord?s duty to fix it.

If you live in a building containing three or more apartments, state regulations known as the ?Hotel and Multiple Dwelling Health and Safety Code? also say that it is the landlord?s duty to get rid of bed bugs if they are in more than one apartment. The Code also makes it the landlord?s job to take good care of the building in order to prevent infestation problems. (The number given by the state to the Code is N.J.A.C. 5:10-10.2.)

Quote:

inthehookjc wrote:
WOW, your landlord is paying for the treatments, that is great since they do not have to.
I have had some experience with this in Passaic and trying to coordinate with all tenants is a nightmare. Consider yourself lucky you are being treated and the landlord is actually doing something about it.

Posted on: 2016/7/18 18:53

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 20:00
From paulus hook
Group:
Registered Users
WOW, your landlord is paying for the treatments, that is great since they do not have to.
I have had some experience with this in Passaic and trying to coordinate with all tenants is a nightmare. Consider yourself lucky you are being treated and the landlord is actually doing something about it.

Posted on: 2016/7/18 18:14

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/4/25 16:53
Group:
Registered Users
If your DE application is messy, you've used way too much! It's for cracks and crevices. It shouldn't be plainly visible. "Mounds" of DE are dangerous for your health. Do not over apply it.

I wouldn't do any DIY stuff. Get your landlord to get the pros in. All infested units should be treated. All units adjacent to infested units (above, below, left, right, maybe even across the hall) should at MINIMUM be inspected. If inspection finds bugs, then those units should be treated and adjacent units to those inspected, etc. Even if no bugs are found in adjacent units, many exterminators advise a preventative treatment.

Posted on: 2016/7/18 15:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Google "diatomaceous earth" - home depot, lowes and amazon all have it. Lay it down on all possible entrances & exits including walls and floor cracks.

That will control the infestation until the exterminators do their job.

https://www.diatomaceousearth.com/diatomaceous-earth-bed-bugs/

Quote:
Apply DE along moulding, in drawers, in any cracks or crevices, behind appliances, along windowsills and door jams. Use an applicator to make this easier.

I did this, it took about a month to actually start working, but it works... I must say this product is super messy, the best place to place it is completely around all beds, sofas, and upholstered furniture. Fantastic product, no exterminator needed.

Posted on: 2016/7/18 12:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

eberry wrote:
How do you get a landlord to treat an entire apartment building for bedbugs, rather than just one unit at a time?

Inform your landlord of the situation, if you haven't done so already.

I treat my buildings all at once all the time (only once for bedbugs thankfully), mostly for mice, ants, and the occasional roach onslaught. Treating one unit at a time just doesn't work. My quarterly contract with my exterminator is for the whole building.

The biggest issue I had was access and cleaning issues with tenants. All my bad roach problems were caused by a tenant who was a horrific slob, who turned an apartment into a breeding facility. The last problem went away when the other tenants convinced the slob to move (helped that my other tenants are both giants and rather intimidating).

The second issue I have had treating a building has been access barriers created by the tenants. The two most notable:

1. Insisting that only 'live trap' methods be used as the vermin have "rights". Therefore they must be relocated without harm.

2. Insisting that only "organic" means of pest control be used or other means that doesn't use any "poisons" or sticky traps.

I have it in my lease (the tenant has to initial this section) that explains the methods I am allowed to use on the building to control pests and they the tenants, won't impede access.

Posted on: 2016/7/18 11:17

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/7/23 2:25
Group:
Registered Users
I know this is a bit random but......is this infestation downtown on Wayne street by chance?

Posted on: 2016/7/18 11:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Google "diatomaceous earth" - home depot, lowes and amazon all have it. Lay it down on all possible entrances & exits including walls and floor cracks.

That will control the infestation until the exterminators do their job.

https://www.diatomaceousearth.com/diatomaceous-earth-bed-bugs/

Quote:
Apply DE along moulding, in drawers, in any cracks or crevices, behind appliances, along windowsills and door jams. Use an applicator to make this easier.

Posted on: 2016/7/18 9:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/7/16 20:41

Bedbugs throughout apartment building

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/16 19:56
Group:
Registered Users
How do you get a landlord to treat an entire apartment building for bedbugs, rather than just one unit at a time?

My building has about 14 units spread across 4 floors. I have bed bugs in my unit, and I know people on the 4th, 3rd and 2nd floor have them, too, because I have spoken directly to those neighbors. The landlord is paying for the bed bug exterminator to treat my unit, however, they are not notifying other residence of the problem and I think the bugs are just moving from one apartment to the other.

Any advice?

Posted on: 2016/7/16 19:58

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017