Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
89 user(s) are online (77 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 89

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

Re: JC monopoly mural on/in newark pedestrian plaza
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
JCMan8 wrote: Quote:
TonyTwoPoops wrote: How is everyone missing the best part? Must be nice to be Paul Silverman and have city hall always ready to kiss your ass and stroke your ego. On almost my final day out there, I ran into a fella named Paul. He asked me if I could put his name on the mural. I jokingly asked his name and said I'd add ?Paul Avenue? right away, and just continued to work. He stopped me again and said, ?No, I meant my company.? This guy wasn't joking! I told Paul that all the squares were already taken, and that City Hall had made the decisions quite some time ago. He then got on his phone for about ten minutes. Fifteen minutes later, Brooke called me. ?How can we incorporate ?Charles & Co.? on the board?? she asked me. What the hell is ?Charles & Co.?? Well, apparently they're the company that has been building condos, and they help out the city with funding. Sponsored squares. Wow, is this what its come down to? I would have calmly explained what a terrible idea that is, but at this point the butting of heads had peaked and no rational discussion could take place. Paul got his square. Take a chance on Charles & Co. Know you know who's really in charge of your fine city. And my heart broke. Wasn't Chicpea originally the one promoting this artist because she's oh so down with the art scene in JC? And now she has Silverman sponsoring her events? Sounds about right.
Why be sexist? You should be happy to see a fellow resident achieving commercial success from her passion.
Nothing about this post was even remotely sexist.

Posted on: 2016/7/24 3:17

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/3/16 20:24
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Everyone knows that you can pretty much do whatever you want Downtown if you have the Silvermans behind you.

Posted on: 2016/7/24 2:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/1 0:23
From the village
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
SOS wrote: Quote:
TonyTwoPoops wrote: Quote:
TonyTwoPoops wrote: How is everyone missing the best part? Must be nice to be Paul Silverman and have city hall always ready to kiss your ass and stroke your ego. On almost my final day out there, I ran into a fella named Paul. He asked me if I could put his name on the mural. I jokingly asked his name and said I'd add ?Paul Avenue? right away, and just continued to work. He stopped me again and said, ?No, I meant my company.? This guy wasn't joking! I told Paul that all the squares were already taken, and that City Hall had made the decisions quite some time ago. He then got on his phone for about ten minutes. Fifteen minutes later, Brooke called me. ?How can we incorporate ?Charles & Co.? on the board?? she asked me. What the hell is ?Charles & Co.?? Well, apparently they're the company that has been building condos, and they help out the city with funding. Sponsored squares. Wow, is this what its come down to? I would have calmly explained what a terrible idea that is, but at this point the butting of heads had peaked and no rational discussion could take place. Paul got his square. Take a chance on Charles & Co. Know you know who's really in charge of your fine city. And my heart broke. Wasn't Chicpea originally the one promoting this artist because she's oh so down with the art scene in JC? And now she has Silverman sponsoring her events? Sounds about right.
Why be sexist? You should be happy to see a fellow resident achieving commercial success from her passion.
Where do you see anything remotely sexist in the above statement? I'm pointing out the hypocrisy of claiming to be helping the Jersey City art scene while having the same person shitting all over it funding your events. Not that I expect a conservative right wing troll like yourself to see anything ethically or morally wrong with that.
She's a nice lady just trying to do her thing, yet you routinely shit all over her when she's mentioned. I'd say that's sexist, considering you can very easily just ignore her.
So where is the evidence of sexism? Can't wait to hear it! Is it because she's a woman so we need to treat her like a giant infant? Because it's actually you being sexist if you think she should be treated with kid gloves just because she's female.
Tony he's just messin with you. Relax.
We both know that if Chicpea was male, Tony wouldn't be so vocal. I could dig up the threads, but I won't bother.
Sure you can buddy. You're clearly just tooooo busy today.

Posted on: 2016/7/23 22:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
SOS wrote: Quote:
Where do you see anything remotely sexist in the above statement? I'm pointing out the hypocrisy of claiming to be helping the Jersey City art scene while having the same person shitting all over it funding your events. Not that I expect a conservative right wing troll like yourself to see anything ethically or morally wrong with that.
She's a nice lady just trying to do her thing, yet you routinely shit all over her when she's mentioned. I'd say that's sexist, considering you can very easily just ignore her.
So where is the evidence of sexism? Can't wait to hear it! Is it because she's a woman so we need to treat her like a giant infant? Because it's actually you being sexist if you think she should be treated with kid gloves just because she's female.
We both know that if Chicpea was male, Tony wouldn't be so vocal. I could dig up the threads, but I won't bother.

Posted on: 2016/7/23 21:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/23 15:07
From Between Thought and Expression
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Posted on: 2016/7/23 21:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
You know full well what you are doing. She's never said anything bad about you, yet you just can't help yourself from digging into her whenever you get a chance.

Posted on: 2016/7/23 20:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From the village
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Posted on: 2016/7/23 19:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Posted on: 2016/7/23 19:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From the village
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Posted on: 2016/7/23 18:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Posted on: 2016/7/23 17:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From the village
Group:
Registered Users
How is everyone missing the best part? Must be nice to be Paul Silverman and have city hall always ready to kiss your ass and stroke your ego. On almost my final day out there, I ran into a fella named Paul. He asked me if I could put his name on the mural. I jokingly asked his name and said I'd add ?Paul Avenue? right away, and just continued to work. He stopped me again and said, ?No, I meant my company.? This guy wasn't joking! I told Paul that all the squares were already taken, and that City Hall had made the decisions quite some time ago. He then got on his phone for about ten minutes. Fifteen minutes later, Brooke called me. ?How can we incorporate ?Charles & Co.? on the board?? she asked me. What the hell is ?Charles & Co.?? Well, apparently they're the company that has been building condos, and they help out the city with funding. Sponsored squares. Wow, is this what its come down to? I would have calmly explained what a terrible idea that is, but at this point the butting of heads had peaked and no rational discussion could take place. Paul got his square. Take a chance on Charles & Co. Know you know who's really in charge of your fine city. And my heart broke. Wasn't Chicpea originally the one promoting this artist because she's oh so down with the art scene in JC? And now she has Silverman sponsoring her events? Sounds about right.

Posted on: 2016/7/23 16:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image

Posted on: 2016/7/22 18:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

good write up and interview with the artist -

http://ncac.org/ncac-at-work/an-inter ... y-censored-monopoly-mural

Jersey City, Censorship and ?Hypersensitivity?: An Interview With Monopoly Mural Artist Mr. AbiLLity

In May, the Jersey City Mural Arts Program commissioned local artist Gary Wynans, aka Mr. AbiLLity, to create a 33-foot floor mural on the busy pedestrian plaza at Newark Avenue. A creative riff on the traditional Monopoly board game, Wynans? mural uses Jersey City street names and local icons, harnassing the game?s focus on money and real estate to bring attention to income disparities and gentrification in real-life Jersey City.

Read more.

Posted on: 2016/7/22 17:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SOS wrote:
I haven't read every article on the monopoly mural. Are the developers underwriting the painting and maintenance? My guess is they are.

Most people don't care about the politics of the mural. If you actually go to the mural and see people's reactions - they are delighted, and not outraged in the least. I'd rather have a mural with a bit of controversy than what we had before under the prior administration - Newark Ave that basically went dark at 9PM.

Anytime a developer underwrites any project they advertise they underwrite a project. This is a freebie for the Silverman Brothers.

Posted on: 2016/7/6 18:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
Whether they keep the mural or remove it, I don't care. I don't think it improves the area, nor am I offended by it.

What I hate is -

1. Our state tax dollars are paying for it AND giving some free advertising to for-profit developers in Jersey City. If these developers want to be on the mural and get advertising, they should pay for at least some of the cost, that's usually how things like that are done.

2. A person who used to vandalize Jersey City with his stupid graffiti is the one painting it AND getting paid a stipend for it when there are already a lot of starving artists who never broke any laws. If he wants to paint so badly, he can do the mural for free and to pay his own bills, he can do painting for a construction company or something.

Posted on: 2016/7/6 18:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

baxtyre wrote:
*eye roll*

the point .... you missed it

no, I got it. I'm not advocating for the mural's removal, just because it doesn't please me. there's plenty of other art around town for me to look at.

Posted on: 2016/7/6 16:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

baxtyre wrote:
I can't believe that this thread is still going, and how far it's devolved. "Pleasing everybody is not what public art is supposed to do" is pretty much all that needs to be said imo.

in which case, this mural is doing great. because I hate it.

Posted on: 2016/7/6 16:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/16 19:07
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

DanL wrote:
very good letter with sound recommendations -

Such programs do exist in other cities. For instance, Philadelphia, Baltimore, and Detroit have mural programs that work well for those areas and take these concerns into consideration. Setting something like this up in Jersey City would be simple and straightforward, and would protect both artists and the people who live in the neighborhoods with the artwork that's created.

AMY WILSON
JERSEY CITY

Philadelphia's process:

http://www.muralarts.org/about/our-process/

Posted on: 2016/7/6 15:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/23 15:07
From Between Thought and Expression
Group:
Registered Users
I haven't read every article on the monopoly mural. Are the developers underwriting the painting and maintenance? My guess is they are.

Most people don't care about the politics of the mural. If you actually go to the mural and see people's reactions - they are delighted, and not outraged in the least. I'd rather have a mural with a bit of controversy than what we had before under the prior administration - Newark Ave that basically went dark at 9PM.

Posted on: 2016/7/6 15:41

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/12/26 1:22
Group:
Registered Users
I can't believe that this thread is still going, and how far it's devolved. "Pleasing everybody is not what public art is supposed to do" is pretty much all that needs to be said imo.

Posted on: 2016/7/6 15:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
very good letter with sound recommendations -

Better process needed for Jersey City's mural program

http://www.nj.com/opinion/index.ssf/2 ... r.html#incart_river_index

As last week's controversy involving the mural of a Monopoly board shows us, Jersey City's mural program is sorely lacking in the oversight, community input, and artist's rights protection one would expect from a professionally run arts program funded with public money.

On one hand, there are people within the community who objected to being represented in a way with which they do not agree and they felt it demeaned them ? a fair point in a piece so public. On the other, we have a work of art ? which was proposed to and commissioned by the city with the offending panels in place - being mutilated and changed without the artist's permission, largely destroying its intention.

This entire situation could have been avoided with a more thoughtful and considerate mural program that is transparent in process, invites input from the community, and provides support to its artists - rather the one that exists now, which appears to just be operating without any plan or forethought whatsoever.

Such programs do exist in other cities. For instance, Philadelphia, Baltimore, and Detroit have mural programs that work well for those areas and take these concerns into consideration. Setting something like this up in Jersey City would be simple and straightforward, and would protect both artists and the people who live in the neighborhoods with the artwork that's created.

Public art is tricky business. It's not a matter of simply handing someone a can of paint and having them "beautify" an area. You are going into an area where people live, work, and socialize, and placing imagery there that they can't ignore. There are many things to think about, and unless we sit down and examine the curatorial process that is being used, I fear that controversies like this one will only repeat themselves going forward.

AMY WILSON
JERSEY CITY

Posted on: 2016/7/6 15:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/11 14:53
Group:
Registered Users
Does anybody write or sign contracts anymore? If you are commissioned to do work, are the boundaries of the work not agreed upon by both parties?

Nah, let's just wing it any see what happens.

Posted on: 2016/7/6 13:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
When Jersey City altered a Monopoly board mural it had commissioned on Newark Avenue to please a group of residents who found the offending portion racist, it ran afoul of the artist's First Amendment rights, critics say.

No, no...please,...not the First Amendment.

Posted on: 2016/7/6 12:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Haizum wrote:
If it's true, I think it's an interesting development that city hall would want to include Charles & Co., Silverman, the Beacon, etc. on a monopoly board. That screams irony to me.

And since monopoly boards have lots of white space, residents can get out their markers and express themselves. Interactive art.

I'm not sure if this is the intention, but #jcmakeityours.

It is not irony, it is free advertisement and I am sure City Hall pulled some strings. Silverman Brothers are on the good list of developers for Mayor Fulop. It is no secret that they will develop the parking lot even though the city said it has not announced who will develop there.

Posted on: 2016/7/6 2:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users

Jersey City mural flap illustrates complications when government funds art

By Terrence T. McDonald | The Jersey Journal
Email the author | Follow on Twitter
on July 05, 2016 at 9:12 AM, updated July 05, 2016 at 3:33 PM

JERSEY CITY — When Jersey City altered a Monopoly board mural it had commissioned on Newark Avenue to please a group of residents who found the offending portion racist, it ran afoul of the artist's First Amendment rights, critics say.

The commotion behind the mural illustrates the challenges governments face when they decide to fund public artwork. Artists and artist advocates who spoke to The Jersey Journal said if the city wants to commission murals, it shouldn't meddle with the finished pieces like it did last week.

Read more:  http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... hts_role_of_governme.html

Posted on: 2016/7/5 23:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
?Take a Chance on Love? tile is now ?Take a Chance on Charles & Co.?.

whaaat. God I bet the original artist is really annoyed by all of the changes the city has thrust upon his piece. The only one that I can kind of understand is Katyn Statue. If you're going to put it on there you should at least know the name. But putting condo names on there? What a joke.

I really liked the original design and thought it was a lot of fun. At this point I just want the entire thing painted over. I don't know why the city bothered getting an artist to put his work down if they were going to change half the board anyway. Might as well have just solicited sponsorships and made the board one big corporate advertisement instead.

Posted on: 2016/7/5 20:43

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/9/12 16:59
From 2nd St.
Group:
Registered Users
If it's true, I think it's an interesting development that city hall would want to include Charles & Co., Silverman, the Beacon, etc. on a monopoly board. That screams irony to me.

And since monopoly boards have lots of white space, residents can get out their markers and express themselves. Interactive art.

I'm not sure if this is the intention, but #jcmakeityours.

Posted on: 2016/7/4 18:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From the village
Group:
Registered Users
Why is everyone so surprised by this? If the city is commissioning you to paint in a public space they will have a say on the content. Why are any artists trusting these guys to display their work?? JC "culture" is just a bunch of thirsty individuals who are desperate for any publicity so they crawl up Fulop & Co's butthole and then act surprised when shit gets censored. Don't rely on the city for publicity because you're going to get used and look like a huge tool at the end of it.

Posted on: 2016/7/4 16:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/27 22:17
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
If the city can change your "art" then it really isn't "art". The city should not be funding anyone with the power to change their expression. That's total bullshit

Quote:

DanL wrote:
Civic JC issued a comment - The Monopoly Mural ? A different POV

The recently painted Monopoly mural in Downtown?s Newark Avenue by Mr. Abillity aka Gary Wynans, has had many expressing their views. Everything from the police union?s concern over a pig depicted as an officer, describing the Katyn statue as ?cool?, to residents calling for a change to be made in the artist?s portrayal of a prisoner. Art.

The Monopoly mural, commissioned by Jersey City, uses public property as its canvas and public funds, which is why here at CivicJC, we?re asking a different question.

Why were tile squares changed to display the names of for-profit developments? Charles & Co. and The Beacon.
The ?Take a Chance on Love? tile is now ?Take a Chance on Charles & Co.?.

Charles & Co., is an abated property, located on Grove Street and owned by the Silverman brothers, who have made political contributions in the past to Mayor Fulop and his political allies.

The Beacon is located on Montgomery Street and replaced the tile that was previously titled Duncan Projects, a former public housing complex.

Did City Hall intervene to have these changes made to the artist?s work. Was there a process that was open to all private businesses to allow for advertisement.

Public property and funds should not be used to advance private enterprise. We call on the administration to have Mr Abillity return these tile squares back to his original work

Read more - https://www.facebook.com/civicjerseycity/posts/1046691672033207

Posted on: 2016/7/4 3:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Civic JC issued a comment - The Monopoly Mural ? A different POV

The recently painted Monopoly mural in Downtown?s Newark Avenue by Mr. Abillity aka Gary Wynans, has had many expressing their views. Everything from the police union?s concern over a pig depicted as an officer, describing the Katyn statue as ?cool?, to residents calling for a change to be made in the artist?s portrayal of a prisoner. Art.

The Monopoly mural, commissioned by Jersey City, uses public property as its canvas and public funds, which is why here at CivicJC, we?re asking a different question.

Why were tile squares changed to display the names of for-profit developments? Charles & Co. and The Beacon.
The ?Take a Chance on Love? tile is now ?Take a Chance on Charles & Co.?.

Charles & Co., is an abated property, located on Grove Street and owned by the Silverman brothers, who have made political contributions in the past to Mayor Fulop and his political allies.

The Beacon is located on Montgomery Street and replaced the tile that was previously titled Duncan Projects, a former public housing complex.

Did City Hall intervene to have these changes made to the artist?s work. Was there a process that was open to all private businesses to allow for advertisement.

Public property and funds should not be used to advance private enterprise. We call on the administration to have Mr Abillity return these tile squares back to his original work

Read more - https://www.facebook.com/civicjerseycity/posts/1046691672033207

Posted on: 2016/7/4 3:07

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017