Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
105 user(s) are online (86 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 105

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Debating Sprint vs. Verizon vs. T-Mobile
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
i would say go with tmobile, especially if you travel overseas a lot. tmobile has low voice rates and free data (2g) internationally. i can't tell you how many times tmobile has saved my no-prereparing, not printing out the directions, not booking hotel reservations before arriving cheap, lazy ass

Good to know about the free data allowance. I was not aware of that. I will need to take another look at T-Mobile, as I have been hearing good things from a couple of friends, and an overseas data allowance would be a very compelling feature.
tmobile has unlimited 2g data overseas. my friends in hong kong thought i was crazy cuz i was just using my regular cell to send texts. it was a god send when i arrived in a 3rd tier chinese city at 11pm. instead of taking taxi, i took local bus which left me off in a non-convenient place. so what did i do after several locals didn't know where the hotel was, i pulled out my phone and turned on gps.

Posted on: 2017/6/12 19:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/21 2:00
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Good to know about the free data allowance. I was not aware of that. I will need to take another look at T-Mobile, as I have been hearing good things from a couple of friends, and an overseas data allowance would be a very compelling feature.

I was an AT&T or Verizon customer for many years and have been with TMobile for 3 or 4 years now. While the coverage doesn't compare to the big 2, I haven't had any major problems in the metro area, at least not enough to warrant significantly higher prices. I found data speeds to be OK and customer service to be top notch, though I go through a 3rd party.

Posted on: 2017/6/12 15:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
i would say go with tmobile, especially if you travel overseas a lot. tmobile has low voice rates and free data (2g) internationally. i can't tell you how many times tmobile has saved my no-prereparing, not printing out the directions, not booking hotel reservations before arriving cheap, lazy ass

Posted on: 2017/6/12 15:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2017/6/12 12:44

Edited by hero69 on 2017/6/12 13:01:58

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/10 2:07
From Newport
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JerseyCityNj wrote:
Has anyone here used Google Project Fi? My brother in Baltimore likes it, saves him a lot of money on his phone bill. But I am curious if anyone in this area likes it?

I have used Project Fi (full disclosure I work for Google). Works well when you have coverage. It uses T-Mobile/Sprint networks depending on which one has a better signal. So your coverage will be as good/bad as these two providers. The phone choice is limited: Nexus 5X, Nexus 6 or the newer Pixel phones (https://store.google.com/product/pixel_phone). The benefits of the service are:
- ability to suspend/resume service easily (saving money)
- you are charged only for the data you use (so if you use 500MB you pay only for that)
- cheaper rates when travelling internationally

Posted on: 2017/6/12 4:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/7 20:21
Group:
Registered Users
I need to know if anyone else is having problems with tmobile's speed. Before I was getting 20 mbps but now i can barely get 6 mbps. A lot of people have switched to tmobile lately and that seems to be why speeds have slowed. Also my phone does not get all the new bands tmobile has started using. I was thinking of getting a new phone but it seems that although the new bands tmobile uses give you better signal in faraway low population areas, in places like JC and NYC, data speeds are slow now.

Posted on: 2017/6/11 19:15
ಠ_ಠ

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

La_Verdad wrote:
Quote:

iGreg wrote:
AT&T you can totally work for a huge data plan BUT if you spend time in Manhattan the service is totally suck ass.

Depends on where in Manhattan you are. Likely, if you are reading this, you live in JC and your Manhattan experience is primarily work-related. I discovered, after switching from AT&T to T-Mobile about six months ago, that AT&T and Verizon put signals into high-rise office buildings (they try to sell it to buildings - up to the bldg whether or not they want it.) I used to get reception most places in my office bldg with AT&T. Nothing now with T-Mobile. It's like I travel to 1984 for ten hours every day.

All the more reason to buy your own phone and not to lock into a contract. You could be with an ATT MVNO instead.

Posted on: 2016/6/6 17:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
?Can you hear me now? guy ditches Verizon to become Sprint's new pitchman

You'll no longer be able to hear Verizon's "Can you hear me now?" guy ? and that's because he switched carriers.

Paul Marcarelli, best known for repeating the phrase "Can you hear me now?" while traveling the country for Verizon commercials between 2002 and 2011, is now the pitchman for Sprint.

Marcarelli appeared in Sprint's new ads this Saturday. The first commercial, titled "Paul Switched," addresses the pitch man's defection. Marcarelli claims that all networks are great nowadays, but Sprint saves customers 50% over the rest (Verizon, T-Mobile and AT&T).

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/natio ... -sprint-article-1.2662864

Posted on: 2016/6/6 16:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/6/18 15:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

iGreg wrote:
AT&T you can totally work for a huge data plan BUT if you spend time in Manhattan the service is totally suck ass.

Depends on where in Manhattan you are. Likely, if you are reading this, you live in JC and your Manhattan experience is primarily work-related. I discovered, after switching from AT&T to T-Mobile about six months ago, that AT&T and Verizon put signals into high-rise office buildings (they try to sell it to buildings - up to the bldg whether or not they want it.) I used to get reception most places in my office bldg with AT&T. Nothing now with T-Mobile. It's like I travel to 1984 for ten hours every day.

Posted on: 2016/6/6 14:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

iGreg wrote:
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

iGreg wrote:
The other companies like Sprint and T Mobile are ghetto.
Anyone for BOOST Mobile ?

LOL. Boost is a Sprint MVNO. There are only 4 actual networks.

If you're really roughing it try the pre paid plans @ Walmart.

Me? I'm happy with my $10/mo service, as I said upthread. But I guess I'm an outlier, with a $3.50/mo Ooma VOIP line in my home & office and being willing to only use non wifi data like a phonebooth to get critical info, and not as my primary entertainment source. My wife has a $10 cell & $30 VOIP, our total monthly phone bill is less than most people's cell. My only problem is those thieves at Comcast raising me from $30 to $70!

Posted on: 2016/6/6 0:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/11 14:10
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

iGreg wrote:

If you're really roughing it try the pre paid plans @ Walmart.

Posted on: 2016/6/6 0:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

iGreg wrote:

Posted on: 2016/6/5 23:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/11 14:10
From JC
Group:
Registered Users

Verizon charges top dollar and has much better coverage and they suck less ass for more $.

Posted on: 2016/6/5 23:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Brewster: when cell towers get busy in NYC - I think the MVNOs get near zero priority. That means missed calls, failures to connect, and dropped calls if you're in transit - switching from tower to tower. Data is even worse. They throttle you down to 1g speeds and forget to reset you back to 3g/4g. I frequently found them routing my data via servers on the West coast as first hop on a trace route. Local use within JC might be fine. I'd just advise spending a little extra to go with a main carrier.

Posted on: 2016/6/5 23:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
dtjcview: I can understand the CSR issue, but I can't imagine why the phone service should be any different, if it's on the ATT network, it's on their network. I went from an ATT prepay to ATT MVNO, and did not notice a change. But clearly my connectivity needs are less than yours.

Posted on: 2016/6/5 23:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
@Brewster: I've tried a number of the resellers them over the years - Simple Mobile, Straight Talk, Metro PCS, PagePlus, Tracphone/Net10. They all have the same issues - dropped/missed calls, throttled data speeds, and when you call customer service, you are dealing with a service rep who is not only clueless - but also has no ability to resolve issues at the underlying provider. If you want simply a cheap phone service - the main carriers prepaid options are infinitely superior. I carry a cheap Verizon burner as a backup when I'm traveling in the US: $15/month - https://www.verizonwireless.com/prepaid/. ATT and T-mobile h
Also see:
http://cell-phone-providers-review.to ... .com/prepaid-cell-phones/
http://www.cellguru.net/prepaid_compare.htm

@JerseyCityNY: I use Project Fi. No issues in JC, NYC and on international trips to Europe and Central America. Indoor coverage matches that of Verizon (try using ATT or TMobile inside hospitals or in basements). Haven't used it on any serious US road trips as yet. It's only problem for me is that it doesn't play nice with Google Voice - it's missing some of GV's best features and doesn't allow call forwarding between the 2 services.

Posted on: 2016/6/5 23:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/26 19:42
From Chilltown, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Has anyone here used Google Project Fi? My brother in Baltimore likes it, saves him a lot of money on his phone bill. But I am curious if anyone in this area likes it?

Posted on: 2016/6/5 22:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
I'd avoid the MVNOs - both their phone service and customer service is abysmal. The service is constantly throttled when busy.

YMMV. I guess it depends on what you're willing to pay. I have a friend paying $100/mo to Verizon for service to his iPhone long after he's paid for the phone, and he admitted he rarely uses network data. I also rarely use data outside a wifi, and my bill rarely exceeds the minimum $10/month of my prepay. So, he's paying $1080 a year more than me for what?

Posted on: 2016/6/5 21:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/6 14:50
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Banned
I use AT&T for two reasons. My wife's employer gives us a nice 20% discount, for one. The second is that one pool of data can be shared between all connected devices on the plan. We have our two phones and two iPads sharing 20GB, so my iPad mini mounted in my car can be used for navigation and streaming, and can be popped out to use as a tablet when I travel, while not needing its own dedicated data plan, which is what it would need on Verizon.

Posted on: 2016/6/5 21:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Sprint and Verizon work best indoors. Verizon has by far the best coverage in the US. In years of travelling around the US - there was no noticeable difference in AT&T and T-Mobile coverage - they share cell towers - or at least did when there was talk of them merging a few years ago.

T-mobile's Simple Choice plan is the best choice if you travel internationally. https://explore.t-mobile.com/3countryplan

Project Fi gets you the best of Sprint and T-Mobile coverage, plus very low rates. Phone choice is limited - Nexus 5X or 6P phone. But even with a new phone - unlimited talk , text plus 1GB of data will be less than the competition. https://fi.google.com/about/

I'd avoid the MVNOs - both their phone service and customer service is abysmal. The service is constantly throttled when busy.

Best data plan: T-Mobile
Best coverage/price: Project Fi

Posted on: 2016/6/5 20:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/8 3:24
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks, all, for including AT&T in the convo. I forgot to list them but definitely up for consideration.

VZW has been going from bad to worse (cust svc) so I'm hoping I can make the move without much loss in coverage. It's a risk!

Posted on: 2016/6/5 19:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Been happy with ATT connectivity using MVNO's (mobile virtual network operator). If you can do with low data usage by using wifi you can get below $20/mo.

At this point I would only buy an unlocked GSM phone, there's so any more options. My daughter bought a $180 Moto G and has $25 2gb/mo T-mobile service from TPO Mobile.

https://bestmvno.com/cheapest-cell-phone-plans/

Posted on: 2016/6/5 19:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/28 23:29
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
I had Sprint for years without any major issues but started having one customer service problem after another. After almost a year of fighting & haggling with a customer service that was not even based in this country, I abandoned the account. I have had Verizon for almost a year. So far, service, phone & otherwise, has been good. Hopefully it will remain so.

Posted on: 2016/6/5 19:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/21 2:00
Group:
Registered Users
I've been through AT&T, Verizon and currently have T-Mobile. I plan to switch back to AT&T after using T-Mobile for 2 years. The coverage isn't nearly as good as either Verizon or AT&T in the NYC or JC area.

If you decide on AT&T or T-Mobile, I highly recommend going through harbormobile.com. [They don't offer any other carriers.] I've been using them for 2 years and they're a pleasure to deal with, not to mention NJ based. I found their rates to be cheaper than going direct through the carriers.

Posted on: 2016/6/5 18:03

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/3/23 0:39
Group:
Registered Users
I use Tmobile. Penetration seems to be an issue and sometimes you wont have service in buildings or lower level stores/apartments in Jersey City. I work in the city and it seems to be better when I'm there. Overall pretty reliable but has its issues. You wont get service underground like at path stations.

Posted on: 2016/6/5 17:25

Debating Sprint vs. Verizon vs. T-Mobile
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/8 3:24
Group:
Registered Users
After headaches with verizon (customer svc, not coverage) for years, looking to move to a new carrier. I know T-Mobile may have spotty coverage outside of NYC. Is that still true? And how about Sprint?

THX!

Posted on: 2016/6/5 17:10

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017