Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
128 user(s) are online (105 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 128

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: help - jcmua bills me $7k for excavation
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/2/23 1:38
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks, Brewster! Appreciate the help.

Posted on: 2016/7/3 0:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
The brochure for insurance I got was solely for the supply, no coverage at all for the sewer line.

Posted on: 2016/7/1 18:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/23 15:07
From Between Thought and Expression
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jctexan wrote:
I also got the offer to buy insurance from Suez. Does anyone know exactly what it covers? If $9/mo will save me a potential $12k in charges, it's prolly worth it, right? I just don't really understand what the insurance covers.

Suez mentions it on their site - "just pennies a day" - which should raise a red flag right there. Check with your homeowner 's insurance policy and see if the same risks are covered.

"$9/mo will save me a potential $12k in charges, it's prolly worth it, right? " - I doubt it.

Posted on: 2016/7/1 16:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jctexan wrote:
I also got the offer to buy insurance from Suez. Does anyone know exactly what it covers? If $9/mo will save me a potential $12k in charges, it's prolly worth it, right? I just don't really understand what the insurance covers.

Ask for the contract then you will know what it won't cover, all the exclusions should be spelled out if this is legit.

Posted on: 2016/7/1 16:35

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/2/23 1:38
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/7/1 15:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/4 21:55
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I think I may need a tree guy, any reference?

Posted on: 2016/5/9 22:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
I had one of those old poles, came loose during a storm and I brought it all the way down with a small electric chainsaw. But there were no other poles or wires nearby.

Posted on: 2016/5/9 1:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks. You are brave, not sure if mine is that stable. A friend of mine told me it is a laundry pole due to the little anchor for laundry lines one can see. It also has nails to go up but who knows how old the entire thing is, it might be from 100+ years ago. Unlikely a telephone pole. I really don't feel like doing it myself as in... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caminito_del_Rey

Posted on: 2016/5/8 22:04

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/5/18 23:28
Group:
Registered Users
I actually had this problem as well at another property. I had called pseg to come look at it but they said they don't have any poles off the street and that it was likely an old telephone pole so would have to call the phone company. It ended up blowing over and leaning on the cable wires on the newer poles that were actually in use. At the end of the day it came down to a chainsaw, 10ft a-frame ladder, rope and little luck.

Posted on: 2016/5/8 21:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Hello everyone, I have an old laundry pole in my backyard that is tilting a little more than usual. I would like to get cut/removed asap. It looks like a utility pole. Any reference you might have?

Posted on: 2016/5/8 14:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/11 14:10
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

kokomas wrote:
I'm piecing this together still but basically i got a letter from JCMUA saying that a leak had been detected and that the condo building i live in (2 family) would need to replace its connection to the main. I was having work done on my apartment at the time and told my contractor. In the following day or two, an outside contractor (either for the water company or PSEG, i'm unclear) had the street dug up, partly because there was a small sinkhole uncovered on the other side of the street from my house. My contractor worked quickly to get his plumber over and replaced the old lead pipe with copper, billing me around $3k all in, including grounding clamps inside the house.

I thought I was done. In retrospect i should not have taken the word of the outside contractor or my contractor and should have followed up with JCMUA itself. But i never got any quote, invoice or bill apart from the original letter and no one contacted me until the line item showed up on my water bill. In my mind at least, the contractor was digging up the street to find a leak in their system and I managed to get my pipe installed while that was happening. I don't think i should be billed for excavation when they were digging up a large part of the street.

I'm trying to find out from my plumber what the best course of action is and then will call JCMUA.

for others who have had to replace their water pipe to the main, are you willing to share how much it cost in total, including excavation and plumbing work?

talk about ruining a nice saturday...

Bit more here:

Only Suez or formally United Cocksuckers Water can tap the main water pipe under the street.

It's actually pretty cool how they tap the pipe while under high water pressure and create or replace the new lead.

Your plumber or contractor will work off that feed and someone gonna pay for that other crew to show up.

Maybe someone who has actual experience can post a youtube how to video ?

thanxxx

Posted on: 2016/5/2 19:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:

Would have thought the excavation & closure 95% of the cost with the actual plumbing minor.

Like when replacing the water main ?

Holla !

Posted on: 2016/5/2 19:41

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/7/5 18:14
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Sewer connection cost me ~$15k (downtown, 2007). It was an absolute emergency job, upon retrospect I should have also replaced the water main while the road was open.

If you do proceed - as I'm sure you know - don't forget the backwater valve!

Quote:

Curious, any idea if it would be about the same for a sewer connection rebuild? I've been kicking that can down the road for nearly 2 decades.

Posted on: 2016/5/2 19:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:

Would have thought the excavation & closure 95% of the cost with the actual plumbing minor.

Yep - would have thought so too...

To the OP - give JC MUA a call - they have some control over SUEZ's charges. Sounds like SUEZ charged full price for doing almost nothing...

Posted on: 2016/5/2 18:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

iGreg wrote:
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

iGreg wrote:
10 to 12k current cost if done properly - with after Suez inspection and water meter reconnect + policeman fees and outside cement work all in.

Curious, any idea if it would be about the same for a sewer connection rebuild? I've been kicking that can down the road for nearly 2 decades.

More $ as much bigger pipe
and how far in the feed is into the building.
not a quick fix either.

Posted on: 2016/5/2 18:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

iGreg wrote:
10 to 12k current cost if done properly - with after Suez inspection and water meter reconnect + policeman fees and outside cement work all in.

More $ as much bigger pipe

and how far in the feed is into the building.

not a quick fix either.

Posted on: 2016/5/2 18:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

iGreg wrote:

Posted on: 2016/5/2 18:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

kokomas wrote:

for others who have had to replace their water pipe to the main, are you willing to share how much it cost in total, including excavation and plumbing work?

10 to 12k

current cost if done properly - with after Suez inspection and water meter reconnect + policeman fees and outside cement work all in.

Posted on: 2016/5/2 17:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/6/2 11:06
From Scenic McGinley Square
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

HPYC wrote:
In a related development, I just got a letter from Suez/United Water which basically looked like a hard sell for insurance to cover repairs to the water line to my house. They're looking for about $9/month (forever I guess) to insure me against any necessary repairs. They used scare tactics in the letter (like telling me it could cost thousands to repair the water line if it ever breaks) and it left a really bad taste in my mouth.

Not sure if this is a legit and helpful new development, or just a private utility company looking for new revenue streams. Now I'm worried they're going to send out the goons to break the line "accidentally on purpose like."

Anyone else get a similar letter?

Got the same letter from Suez. Seemed legit to me.

Posted on: 2016/5/2 16:50

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/12/2 17:30
Group:
Registered Users
I'm piecing this together still but basically i got a letter from JCMUA saying that a leak had been detected and that the condo building i live in (2 family) would need to replace its connection to the main. I was having work done on my apartment at the time and told my contractor. In the following day or two, an outside contractor (either for the water company or PSEG, i'm unclear) had the street dug up, partly because there was a small sinkhole uncovered on the other side of the street from my house. My contractor worked quickly to get his plumber over and replaced the old lead pipe with copper, billing me around $3k all in, including grounding clamps inside the house.

I thought I was done. In retrospect i should not have taken the word of the outside contractor or my contractor and should have followed up with JCMUA itself. But i never got any quote, invoice or bill apart from the original letter and no one contacted me until the line item showed up on my water bill. In my mind at least, the contractor was digging up the street to find a leak in their system and I managed to get my pipe installed while that was happening. I don't think i should be billed for excavation when they were digging up a large part of the street.

I'm trying to find out from my plumber what the best course of action is and then will call JCMUA.

talk about ruining a nice saturday...

Posted on: 2016/5/2 16:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/3/15 20:01
From Downtown - H.P. area
Group:
Registered Users
In a related development, I just got a letter from Suez/United Water which basically looked like a hard sell for insurance to cover repairs to the water line to my house. They're looking for about $9/month (forever I guess) to insure me against any necessary repairs. They used scare tactics in the letter (like telling me it could cost thousands to repair the water line if it ever breaks) and it left a really bad taste in my mouth.

Not sure if this is a legit and helpful new development, or just a private utility company looking for new revenue streams. Now I'm worried they're going to send out the goons to break the line "accidentally on purpose like."

Anyone else get a similar letter?

Posted on: 2016/5/2 15:48

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/5/18 23:28
Group:
Registered Users
I got a very similar bill for a building in the heights. My builder had to do all the work in terms of excavation, hookup etc. But I still got a bill from United Water for over $6k essentially for the right to hook back up to the main. Apparently it was based off calculations on increase of water usage from the new building that was going up.

Posted on: 2016/5/2 15:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/8 3:24
Group:
Registered Users
you're certainly responsible for the excavation charges under normal circumstances. But if I understand correctly the street was already dug up for other reasons and you took advantage of that condition to do the work while the main was exposed.

in hindsight you probably should have discussed that with United Water ahead of time - though it wouldn't have necessarily crossed my mind either. Hopefully it's just a standard fee that they put on the bill expecting that every time a main/lateral is worked on it will necessitate excavation, and a simple call to explain otherwise will be all it takes.

Posted on: 2016/5/2 13:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
I never heard of such a thing. My plumber was the one that did the excavation work. However, my last water main replacement was over 15 years ago.

Posted on: 2016/5/2 13:39

help - jcmua bills me $7k for excavation

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/12/2 17:30
Group:
Registered Users
Has anyone had to fight the water company regarding excavation bills?

Essentially my building was notifies we had to replace our water main. The street was being dug up for the pseg stuff and my plumber did the work when the main was exposed. I paid him directly.

Now my most recent water bill, out of the blue, includes one line for a $6600 charge for excavation.

Has anyone had this issue?

Posted on: 2016/5/2 13:25

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017