Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
104 user(s) are online (90 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 104

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Downtown Dangerous Freight Trains -- Almost had a Spill Today.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Oil Train Burns as Derailment Spills Crude

Oil was released from at least one rail car, which is currently aflame, the railroad said in an e-mailed statement Friday. Firefighters and hazardous materials experts are responding to the incident, according to the company.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/article ... n-derailment-spills-crude

Posted on: 2016/6/4 11:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/9 18:01
From Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
The CSX Tacks are right next to the HBLR tracks from LSP down to Bayonnne, and very close to Bayside park as well as residential areas east of Garfield Street.

I have always been surprised that the busy Chapel Avenue crossing to Port Liberte does not have a gated signal system, and in this are the tracks seem to be in really bad shape.

If there is any doubt I see tanker cars going by every day and many of these are marked with the flammable liquid symbol. I will pay closer attention to see what the specific contents labeling is on the safety marker

Posted on: 2016/5/2 1:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
Another derailment in another state but this derailment spilled materials. Same types of trains in JC.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/csx-train-d ... on-leaking-141936803.html

Posted on: 2016/5/1 21:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Derailed freight train near Washington, D.C., leaks hazardous liquid

WASHINGTON
BY DAVID LAWDER

A CSX freight train derailed in northeastern Washington, D.C. on Sunday, spilling hazardous liquid near a city subway station, the railroad company said.

Several cars were overturned but no injuries were reported.

The District of Columbia Fire Department said it had not ordered evacuations near the site of the accident, about three miles (5 km) from the White House.

Sodium hydroxide, used to produce household products including paper, soap and detergent, was leaking from one car, CSX Corp said in a statement.

Earlier, the fire department said three cars were leaking an unidentified substance or substances but there was no fire. Fire department photographs showed several cars lying on their sides by the tracks on the main train route into the city, including tank cars, bulk material cars and box cars.

The accident forced the closure of the Rhode Island Metro Station and Rhode Island Avenue, it said.

The train, with three locomotives and a total of 175 cars, most carrying mixed freight or riding empty, was traveling from Cumberland, Maryland, to Hamlet, North Carolina.

The Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority (Metro) could not immediately be reached for comment.

According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website, sodium hydroxide is a ca

https://news.google.com/news/rtc?ncl=d ... 42GF_M&authuser=0&topic=n

Posted on: 2016/5/1 14:43

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/2/6 16:46
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Bike_Lane wrote:

There is still a Conrail Corp based in Philadelphia that is jointly owned by NS and CSX, and (correct me if I'm wrong), this Conrail Corp manages the "shared assets" that NS and CSX jointly own after they took over and split the old Conrail.

The National Docks line through Jersey City is one of these "shared assets"

http://www.conrail.com/system-map/

Yes; you are absolutely correct.

Posted on: 2016/4/30 13:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
There are different cars on the train, some of the cars are empty which was in the Jersey Journal photo but other cars carry different chemicals in different cars. Each car has a different set of numbers. However, this particular car said sulfuric acid. Most of the time the trains are carry oil, hence the name.
I suggested to the city council to inspect the tracks and bridges. While the city has no control on the chemicals that travel throughout JC, it does have control over the physical structures such as bridges and tracks. Do an inspection and fine the state or federal government. Doing nothing is not acceptable.

Probably the right direction. Though first step is to demand a Federal investigation - given this happened on top of the Spectra pipeline and underneath Dickenson High school. Think the PHMSA is the right org to engage. The City should also be applying for HMEP grants if it's emergency response needs to be improved.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pipeline ... als_Safety_Administration
http://www.homelandsecuritygrants.info/GrantDetails.aspx?gid=33264

Posted on: 2016/4/30 11:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/20 23:45
From gone
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MDM wrote:
Didn't Conrail cease to exist when it was bought and broken up by two different railroads?

There is still a Conrail Corp based in Philadelphia that is jointly owned by NS and CSX, and (correct me if I'm wrong), this Conrail Corp manages the "shared assets" that NS and CSX jointly own after they took over and split the old Conrail.

The National Docks line through Jersey City is one of these "shared assets"

http://www.conrail.com/system-map/

Posted on: 2016/4/29 12:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
Didn't Conrail cease to exist when it was bought and broken up by two different railroads?

Posted on: 2016/4/29 12:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From gone
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
There are different cars on the train, some of the cars are empty which was in the Jersey Journal photo but other cars carry different chemicals in different cars. Each car has a different set of numbers. However, this particular car said sulfuric acid. Most of the time the trains are carry oil, hence the name.
I suggested to the city council to inspect the tracks and bridges. While the city has no control on the chemicals that travel throughout JC, it does have control over the physical structures such as bridges and tracks. Do an inspection and fine the state or federal government. Doing nothing is not acceptable.

If you're concerned about the condition of tracks and bridges, voice your concern to Conrail (whose responsibility it is to maintain and inspect their infrastructure) and the Federal Railroad Administration (whose responsibility it is to audit Conrail's safety inspections).

Posted on: 2016/4/29 4:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/4/28 2:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/27 14:41
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Heading into Bayonne today, I saw the oil trains, one of the cars was labeled sulfuric acid. The bridge between JC and Bayonne is not in good shape.

If it says sulfuric acid, it's not an oil train. And what bridge are you talking about?

Posted on: 2016/4/27 16:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Heading into Bayonne today, I saw the oil trains, one of the cars was labeled sulfuric acid. The bridge between JC and Bayonne is not in good shape.

Posted on: 2016/4/27 15:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/4/26 14:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
For Immediate Release: April 26, 2016 Contact: Paula Rogovin - paula.rogovin@verizon.net, 347.778.2866 Jersey City Train Derailment Underscores Urgent Threat Posed by Bakken Oil "Bomb Trains" Statement of Paula Rogovin, Founder of the Coalition To Ban Unsafe Oil Trains Jersey City, NJ ? "On Saturday, one of New Jersey?s most densely populated cities avoided a potential catastrophe of untold proportions when a train derailed near the center of Jersey City next to Dickinson High School, where more than 2000 students attend classes." "The news photos show derailed box cars. What they don't show is cars that transport hazardous materials were attached just a few cars down the line. Lax regulations and zero transparency make it difficult for first responders and the public to know what was actually in that long unit of trains. Had those derailed cars been full of volatile Bakken crude oil, tens of thousands of people in the blast zone could have been killed, injured, or forced to evacuate." "This Con Rail line where the derailment occurred goes a short distance into blast zone of the CSX line, a line which carries volatile Bakken crude oil in what are known as ?bomb trains.? This can be seen on this map: [http://www.explosive-crude-by-rail.org<http://www.explosive-crude-by-rail.org/<http://www.explosive-crude-by-rail.org<http://www.explosive-crude-by-rail.org/]www.explosive-crude-by-rail.org<http://www.explosive-crude-by-rail.org/<http://www.explosive-crude-by-rail.org<http://www.explosive-crude-by-rail.org/>>. Area residents will continue to press for legislation and regulations to protect us from this risk. "This derailment underscores the need to end our dependence on dirty energy and unsafe transport that puts people at risk for the profit of a few. Residents of New Jersey and other states in the Northeast will demonstrate on May 14 in Albany, NY, the hub of transport of hazardous Bakken crude. This will be one of 5 regional demonstrations and global calls for the world to BREAK FREE from Fossil Fuels and move quickly to renewable energy. For more information, go to www.Albany2016.org<http://www.albany2016.org/<http://www.Albany2016.org<http://www.albany2016.org/>>. Matt Smith

Posted on: 2016/4/26 13:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/14 1:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

MDM wrote:
There is a pipeline being built to bring crude to Albany. The crude will then be loaded on to tanker cars an brought to NJ. If the pipeline is extended farther south to the refinery the need for trains goes away.

Why rail rather than barges? Do barges have a Jones Act problem too?

Why do most of us cross the Hudson on a train instead of via ferry?

Rail is faster, more convenient, more affordable. It isn't limited point-to-point like a barge. If something happens, we can actually address it, rather than watch a tanker full of toxic substances sink to the bottom of the Hudson.

Posted on: 2016/4/26 12:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/5/31 3:07
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

MDM wrote:
There is a pipeline being built to bring crude to Albany. The crude will then be loaded on to tanker cars an brought to NJ. If the pipeline is extended farther south to the refinery the need for trains goes away.

Exxon Valdez

Posted on: 2016/4/26 3:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

MDM wrote:

Posted on: 2016/4/26 3:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From gone
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MDM wrote:
Quote:

Bike_Lane wrote:

I think the better question may not be "how do we keep the trains away?" But instead, "how do we make trains even safer?"

The safest way to move liquids like light crude is pipelines. Trains are being used now because there is a dearth of pipelines from the Midwest to the East coast. Midwest light crude from the Bakken is a replacement for Mideast crude. The refineries in the Southwest are geared towards heavy sour (high sulfur) crude from Mexico and Venezuela. The light stuff has to be shipped East.

True, but I think we learned JCListers' views on pipelines a few years ago. XD

Posted on: 2016/4/26 1:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Bike_Lane wrote:

I think the better question may not be "how do we keep the trains away?" But instead, "how do we make trains even safer?"

The safest way to move liquids like light crude is pipelines. Trains are being used now because there is a dearth of pipelines from the Midwest to the East coast. Midwest light crude from the Bakken is a replacement for Mideast crude. The refineries in the Southwest are geared towards heavy sour (high sulfur) crude from Mexico and Venezuela. The light stuff has to be shipped East.

Posted on: 2016/4/25 22:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From gone
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Oprahsbunion wrote:
Train tankers should be kept away from schools and dense populations like Jersey City. There is too much of a chance of accidents or terrorism. I will see if Gayle can do a segment on this, if not I might need to get something going myself.

The crude is going to refineries in Linden and Philadelphia. Neither of those cities is in the wilderness. The trains will have to pass through a number of cities and towns along the way. Heck most of our cities and towns grew up along railroad tracks. It would be really hard, if not impossible, to route trains in a way that doesn't pass by schools or dense populations.

Posted on: 2016/4/25 19:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Oprahsbunion wrote:
Train tankers should be kept away from schools and dense populations like Jersey City. There is too much of a chance of accidents or terrorism. I will see if Gayle can do a segment on this, if not I might need to get something going myself.

what are these chances you speak of? can you show your work?

Posted on: 2016/4/25 19:03

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/14 2:47
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/4/25 18:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

stillinjc wrote:
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

stillinjc wrote:
When a rail car containing chlorine gas ruptures, we're all dead.

"when" it does?

can you tell me next week's lotto numbers, too?

If I knew that I'd be out of town on that day.

so your magical crystal ball is somewhat limited, then? how humble.

Posted on: 2016/4/25 13:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/27 23:03
From Jersey City yo!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

stillinjc wrote:

"when" it does?

If I knew that I'd be out of town on that day.

Posted on: 2016/4/25 12:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The oil trains contain a type of oil that explodes instantaneous. There is a way to process crude oil that makes it less explosive but the oil companies do not want to spend the money. A town in Canada had a serious problem with the oil train that derailed. The same type of oil are in the trains that travel in JC. That is why JC was lucky.
https://www.rt.com/news/238693-canada-train-derailment-gogama/

Posted on: 2016/4/25 2:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

stillinjc wrote:

"when" it does?

Posted on: 2016/4/25 1:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
IIRC, hazardous materials require special cars with very visible signage. as these didn't have it, they're in the clear as far as that goes.

Quote:

JC_Man wrote:
If it is not known what was in the derailed cars (if anything), how can you say it's dangerous?

Posted on: 2016/4/25 1:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/27 23:03
From Jersey City yo!
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/4/25 0:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I went to the accident since I did a show on this and inquired about what cars were attached. I was told chlorine was attached but that particular car did not turn over. The day before the accident, I was taking pictures at the same site, and oil trains passed there. JC is very lucky this time.
http://explosive-crude-by-rail.org/

Posted on: 2016/4/24 22:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/5/31 3:07
Group:
Registered Users
If it is not known what was in the derailed cars (if anything), how can you say it's dangerous?

Posted on: 2016/4/24 21:41

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017