Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
111 user(s) are online (104 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 111

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Jersey City to make $94 million in water and sewer improvements
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

MDM wrote:
Storm water, after screening out anything big can be dumped directly into the river and bays. Sewage cannot and has to be treated. The problem with combined systems is that they get overwhelmed when it rains, causing raw sewage to be dumped into the waterways. There are two ways around this:

1. separate the systems
2. build a surge system that holds the mix of storm water and sewage until it can be treated.

#1 required pretty much ripping up all the streets and rebuilding them from scratch. So cities have been going with option #2 with some of option #1.

In addition, the EPA isn't crazy about #1, they would like runoff treated too since it often has contaminants. Currently our "surge system" is the entire DT sewer system filling till it floods the lowest lying streets (and my basement).

Posted on: 2016/4/22 18:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

DtJcQdMf wrote:

Why it would be beneficial to do that? I can take a guess but is there a school of thought with a good reason? I thought wastewater was wastewater.

Storm water, after screening out anything big can be dumped directly into the river and bays. Sewage cannot and has to be treated. The problem with combined systems is that they get overwhelmed when it rains, causing raw sewage to be dumped into the waterways. There are two ways around this:

1. separate the systems
2. build a surge system that holds the mix of storm water and sewage until it can be treated.

#1 required pretty much ripping up all the streets and rebuilding them from scratch. So cities have been going with option #2 with some of option #1.

Example:

http://clatl.com/freshloaf/archives/2 ... -south-river-sewer-tunnel

http://www.cleanwateratlanta.org/consentdecree/Elements/CSO.htm

Posted on: 2016/4/22 17:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

DtJcQdMf wrote:
Quote:

bdaunno wrote:
Most cities have separate sanitary and storm sewer systems. Jersey city (at least the downtown) does not. Both your toilet water and rain water run through the same lines. That's why when you walk by a sewer grate it reeks.

Is there any intent in JC's future to alter the sewer system so you have separate storm and sanitary sewers?

Why it would be beneficial to do that? I can take a guess but is there a school of thought with a good reason? I thought wastewater was wastewater.

Storm water is what overwhelms the system, causing the need to bypass treatment and release actual sewage directly into the Hudson (mixed with storm drainage).

Separate systems would mean that, during a heavy rain, you can continue to treat sewage as sewage and not have to bypass treatment.

Posted on: 2016/4/22 17:45

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/3 19:27
From DTJC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bdaunno wrote:
Most cities have separate sanitary and storm sewer systems. Jersey city (at least the downtown) does not. Both your toilet water and rain water run through the same lines. That's why when you walk by a sewer grate it reeks.

Is there any intent in JC's future to alter the sewer system so you have separate storm and sanitary sewers?

Posted on: 2016/4/22 17:20

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/22 6:00
From Van Vorst
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/4/20 12:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/14 1:56
Group:
Registered Users
Cue bitching, moaning, complaints, accusations of misconduct and using this to bash the current administration in 3, 2, 1...

Posted on: 2016/4/18 23:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Wasn't the solution to Cara's problem in the photo in the first article? Just park on the sidewalk! So what if pedestrians have to trip over the curb into the street to get around it. That picture was probably taken in Boggiano's district - I'm surprised he didn't plug the fact that he voted against the infrastructure upgrades since they would inconvenience drivers.

Posted on: 2016/4/18 19:21

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/16 15:08
From JCNJ
Group:
Registered Users
I prefer NJ(.)com version of this journalistic masterpiece where we get to hear about the plight of Cara Goldman (and she is NOT happy!)

"It's taking a long time," Goldman, 26, said this morning "It starts very early in the morning."

But wait, it gets worse for Cara...

Goldman said she has received four parking tickets in the last few months, at $50 a pop.

Rut Roh, Cara. Something seems to be amiss here since I haven't gotten a single parking ticket, even though I live/park on the same block...I wonder why that could be...

Oh yeah, that's right. I move my car in the morning.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... anned_on_jersey_city.html

Posted on: 2016/4/14 19:31

Jersey City to make $94 million in water and sewer improvements
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users

Jersey City to make $94 million in water and sewer improvements

11:45 AM, Wednesday, April 13

JERSEY CITY – Mayor Steven M. Fulop announced on April 13 that the Jersey City Municipal Utilities Authority (MUA) will invest $94 million on improvements to city water and sewer utilities in 2016, much of which replaces century-old infrastructure.

“Like other urban centers around the country, much of our city infrastructure is more than 100 years old, which is why we have made upgrading these critical systems a priority,” said Mayor Fulop. “We are investing significantly on both our sewer and water lines citywide, as strengthening infrastructure is a vital part of our continued growth.”

Read more:  Hudson Reporter - Jersey City to make

Posted on: 2016/4/14 0:12

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017