Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
110 user(s) are online (91 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 110

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Mitsuwa
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/4/21 14:20
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CatDog wrote:
Quote:

CatDog wrote:
Mitsuwa is great, I'm sad that a lot of the smaller shops there like the bookshop have closed down
oh, addendum to this post is that I'm an idiot and was looking in the wrong storefront. The bookshop and souvenir shop are still there and doing well, it was some other stores that were empty.

As for H-Mart in Fort Lee, I haven't been there in a couple years but that's another great place. Lots of interesting stores there and good selection of food and korean soju and other stuff.

Goto the h mart north of the washington bridge, that's the best one. It has awesome season, including LIVE abalone, crabs etc..at very very cheap price, among many other specialty items.

Posted on: 2016/4/28 21:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CatDog wrote:
Mitsuwa is great, I'm sad that a lot of the smaller shops there like the bookshop have closed down
oh, addendum to this post is that I'm an idiot and was looking in the wrong storefront. The bookshop and souvenir shop are still there and doing well, it was some other stores that were empty.

As for H-Mart in Fort Lee, I haven't been there in a couple years but that's another great place. Lots of interesting stores there and good selection of food and korean soju and other stuff.

Posted on: 2016/4/28 21:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/11/8 21:51
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/4/28 18:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/27 23:03
From Jersey City yo!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
Quote:

jgl9802 wrote:
Hmart in NYC has a nice variety of fresh soba noodles. It's on 32nd Street and Broadway.

Has anyone been to Hmart in Fort Lee?

http://www.yelp.com/biz/h-mart-fort-lee

112 Linwood Dr #130, Fort Lee, NJ 07024

I am there every few days because it is on my way from work. Very good quality vegetables, okay fish (stay away from the scallops). I have not seen fresh or frozen soba there but will look. More expensive than average supermarket. Clean.

Posted on: 2016/4/2 19:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jgl9802 wrote:
Hmart in NYC has a nice variety of fresh soba noodles. It's on 32nd Street and Broadway.

Has anyone been to Hmart in Fort Lee?

http://www.yelp.com/biz/h-mart-fort-lee

112 Linwood Dr #130, Fort Lee, NJ 07024

Posted on: 2016/4/2 14:53

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/19 20:11
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/4/2 14:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City yo!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JadedJC wrote:
I love the place, not just for the food but also the ceramics shop in that same mall. Nearly half of my dishes come from there. The parking lot can be a bit of a clusterf*ck during the weekends. I swear, I've had more near misses in that parking lot than any other place. One time I saw this fender bender there, and the tow truck nearly towed this minivan away with a kid still strapped in the car seat in back! The mom was so frazzled, she forgot all about the kid until a bunch of us started shouting at the tow truck.

+1.

Look both ways people, I almost got hit by a guy going the wrong way there. Thanks for the tip about the ceramics shop; we need a dishes for Ten Zaru and sushi.

Posted on: 2016/4/1 20:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
I love the place, not just for the food but also the ceramics shop in that same mall. Nearly half of my dishes come from there. The parking lot can be a bit of a clusterf*ck during the weekends. I swear, I've had more near misses in that parking lot than any other place. One time I saw this fender bender there, and the tow truck nearly towed this minivan away with a kid still strapped in the car seat in back! The mom was so frazzled, she forgot all about the kid until a bunch of us started shouting at the tow truck.

Posted on: 2016/4/1 18:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcguy05 wrote:

I loved the place so much, i am buying a townhome next to it. Edgewater real estate is getting very expensive, but the ability to walk to mitsuwa is priceless to me :)

Wow. Life without a refrigerator! I'm so envious.

Posted on: 2016/4/1 17:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SRhia wrote:
I've been to Mitsuwa a few times and I love the place!!!

Can the experts suggest what is the best dish (or dishes) to get from each eatery there? There are quite a few, and personally, I don't know that many japanese poeple "in the know" to direct me.

I love the ramen noddles from the little place right by the exit, but that's about what I get everytime because I'm afraid to order from the myriad of other places!!!

TIA!

I have not tried everything there, but I like Omusubi Gonbei (rice ball place) partially because it is quick. They used to have Tonjiru soup, which for unknown reason, they discontinued (I was mad because it was so good).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butajiru

Posted on: 2016/4/1 17:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/9 22:13
Group:
Registered Users
I've been to Mitsuwa a few times and I love the place!!!

Can the experts suggest what is the best dish (or dishes) to get from each eatery there? There are quite a few, and personally, I don't know that many japanese poeple "in the know" to direct me.

I love the ramen noddles from the little place right by the exit, but that's about what I get everytime because I'm afraid to order from the myriad of other places!!!

TIA!

Posted on: 2016/4/1 17:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
When I worked for Unilever in Englewood Cliffs a group from my dept would go there for lunch. It was good food and a good value. I always enjoy shopping in the supermarket for items that are only available at the Mitsuwa market. I usually go to Edgewater and do a shopping triple play, WF, Trader Joe's and Mitsuwa.

Posted on: 2016/4/1 16:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/12 11:53
Group:
Registered Users
I think pretty soon they are going to have to upgrade that location or expand. Im pretty sure the foodshops are independents who lease or rent from the supermarket. I believe that little bakery next to the seating area just started accepting cards. Have to double check that.

Posted on: 2016/4/1 16:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/4/1 15:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

stillinjc wrote:
Atsushi, the 40-minute wait at the register was probably an exception. I also shop at Mitsuwa when I can and love it.

Btw - do you know if they have FRESH soba noodles? I recently started making them Ten Zaru style using dry soba. It is good, but fresh soba would have been even better.

In addition to dry ones, they have frozen one. But fresh one? I don't think so.

Posted on: 2016/4/1 15:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/4/21 14:20
Group:
Registered Users
mitsuwa is an addiction, i must..have to go.... every 2 weeks to get their ramen (best), shrimp tempura (best, supposely from the guy who invented it), and the raw fish rice box (best).

The supermarket is also awesome, lots fresh stuff you cant get elsewhere.

I loved the place so much, i am buying a townhome next to it. Edgewater real estate is getting very expensive, but the ability to walk to mitsuwa is priceless to me :)

That said, I think the management/people in mitsuwa are very stubborn and have no business sense.

1) The popular food places refuse to take credit card, only cash, which slows down the line a lot.

2) They refuse to hire more people, you have lines going out the back, and they have ONE old lady taking orders for both shrimp tempura + raw fish boxes AND preparing the orders. So basically she would take 1 order from shrimp tempura line, prepares some stuff, take another order from raw sushi box and prepare something, meanwhile the lines going out the back.

It's borderline retarded (not the lady, but the setup). Whoever is managing those food places, should just spend 5 minutes in a mcdonald or any other fast food place...seriously.

3) Same for the supermarket, on weekends you got lines going around the block always, yet they only open 2-3 registers instead of getting a few more cashier.

Very stubborn and arrogant management who refuses to improve their process. But no choice, because the food are so good, i am a slave to it.

Posted on: 2016/4/1 15:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City yo!
Group:
Registered Users
Atsushi, the 40-minute wait at the register was probably an exception. I also shop at Mitsuwa when I can and love it.

Btw - do you know if they have FRESH soba noodles? I recently started making them Ten Zaru style using dry soba. It is good, but fresh soba would have been even better.

Posted on: 2016/4/1 15:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/14 20:15
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users
It's like that at all the Mitsuwa locations that I've been to (several in CA). I think most of the traffic comes from people going there to eat, it'd be nice if they could take over an adjacent building and move the food court there.

Posted on: 2016/4/1 15:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/1 0:23
From the village
Group:
Registered Users
The craziness on the weekend might be attributed to the fact that they actually have shuttles to bring people in to shop from Manhattan. I never go there on a weekend- way too many people!

Posted on: 2016/4/1 15:14

Mitsuwa
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I'm happy to know that Mitsuwa is mentioned on the forum. Yes, it should be mentioned more often.

As a Japanese person in America, I love Mitsuwa. In fact I need Mitsuwa. Since we moved to suburb (Fanwood), we are not going there as often as we used to, but there are some things that we just can't get at other Asian markets. When we go there, we see a lot of CT and NY license plates (some from PA or DE), which makes me realize how lucky I am to live close enough to get there easily.

It is more expensive than a regular supermarket for sure, but no more than Whole Foods is. Produce, meat and seafood are always fresh and of good quality. Maybe I'm biased, but I have never encountered anything of bad quality there. (I've been regularly going there since 2007.)

The only complaint that I have is that it gets so busy on weekends. I mean is there another supermarket in America of which parking gets completely full every weekend? About a month ago, there were lines for cash registers long enough to meander through the store all the way to the back of the store. It took us 40 minutes to get through. I complained that I have a much higher expectation for Mitsuwa. I learned that there was unusually high absentee on that day, so that made sense. But it shook my faith in Mitsuwa a little bit. But at least the management appeared to care. In fact there was an instruction on PA system to the workers telling "all hands on deck."

There is some kind of special sales event almost every weekend, which is great, but when a big event takes place (for example, summer festival or new year festival), you need to get there early because the parking quickly gets full. And if you can't get there before 10 or 11, forget it. You won't be able to find a parking spot anyway, and if you park on other places, like Trader Joe on the next block, they threaten to tow your car.

Their food court is also great, but again, it gets so busy that you can't even find a seat. The key is to get there early. A better way is to go during week, but if you can't, go in the morning.

If you have never been there, I can tell you; this is the closest thing to visiting Japan without actually visiting Japan.

Posted on: 2016/4/1 15:02

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017