Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
100 user(s) are online (80 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 100

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Bike Share Flap Pits JC vs. Hoboken
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users

Zimmer: Jersey City’s new bike share law ‘nothing but political grandstanding

April 14, 2016 Hoboken/WeehawkenJersey CityNews Written by  

The Jersey City Council unanimously passed an ordinance establishing regulations for the use of publicly owned bike racks, but Hoboken Mayor Dawn Zimmer says it “serves no governmental purpose” and is “nothing but political grandstanding

“You can’t operate business on public property without permission however this will prevent us for any need to going to court. This really makes it very clear to people that while the sharing economy is great and it’s something that we want to encourage, if you are using public property, you need permission,” stated Ward E Councilwoman Candice Osborne.

Read more:  http://hudsoncountyview.com/zimmer-je ... -political-grandstanding/

Posted on: 2016/4/14 23:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/7/22 15:58
Group:
Registered Users
Slightly off topic: citibike NYC is doing an under-the-radar withdrawal from service of all of the newer model citibikes in what amounts to a product recall. No mention of it on their website. They sent me an email saying the front fork design is flawed and an independent contractor is inspecting every one of the "new" bikes and performing repairs as needed. I bring it up here since ALL of the Jersey City citibikes are of the "new" model. I doubt there is too much cause for concern I have NEVER seen a citibike with its front wheel broken off (its the FOrk that holds the front wheel on) But its news related to citibike and Jersey City.

Posted on: 2016/4/1 14:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
given hoboken's relatively small size relative, maybe it makes sense to put one citibike rack in hoboken on washington for now and fight for one or two more citibke racks over time.

this would be convenient for many

Posted on: 2016/4/1 13:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CandiceOsborne wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
maybe jc should sue hoboken if it won't paly fair which is a time waster. don't the citibke racks hold more bikes than one's in hoboken. i think the most hoboken bikes that i have ever seen in jc were 3 or 4 whereas the citibike racks hold 10 bikes at a minimum so hoboken's reticence is somewhat understandable. maybe just 2 racks with 10 bikes each

Yup. All these things are conversations we are willing to have. Unfortunately we have a little bit of a whack a mole situation where this occurs repeatedly. We ask it to stop and it does for a time and then happens again. The bike share needs to have no fee zones so that it's bike share is profitable and that is understandable, but if they are going to encourage riders to have bikes in one place then we need a dedicated rack so it doesn't impede on public space like this picture. That's all. This will clarify the law and I am sure we will find a workable solution that expands bike shares! Resized Image
valid points...i was shocked that there were that many hobokenites biking to jc on their shared bike system. from what i've seen at exchange place and hoboken terminal, surely there is enough space to accomodate both systems and i doubt that the hoboken bikeshare system is taking customers away from citibike system since many hobokenites use the citibike system in ny (but i may be wrong)! any way, good luck resolving this to the mutual benefit of all.

Posted on: 2016/3/29 2:05

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/3/13 14:11
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
maybe jc should sue hoboken if it won't paly fair which is a time waster. don't the citibke racks hold more bikes than one's in hoboken. i think the most hoboken bikes that i have ever seen in jc were 3 or 4 whereas the citibike racks hold 10 bikes at a minimum so hoboken's reticence is somewhat understandable. maybe just 2 racks with 10 bikes each

Yup. All these things are conversations we are willing to have. Unfortunately we have a little bit of a whack a mole situation where this occurs repeatedly. We ask it to stop and it does for a time and then happens again. The bike share needs to have no fee zones so that it's bike share is profitable and that is understandable, but if they are going to encourage riders to have bikes in one place then we need a dedicated rack so it doesn't impede on public space like this picture. That's all. This will clarify the law and I am sure we will find a workable solution that expands bike shares! Resized Image

Posted on: 2016/3/29 1:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/3/29 0:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JSleeze wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:

Does anyone know if Fulop's brother really works there?

He not only works there, according to his LinkedIn profile he's a managing director.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/danfulop

Maybe Terrence can write about this next. Certainly seems shady at first glance.

Posted on: 2016/3/28 23:15

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/3/13 14:11
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote: fyi, the hoboken bikes were not chain to the city bike rakes - the ones i saw were adjacent to the racks.

You are correct.

1) the bikes were taking up space on the public racks that we put for residents. If anyone believes that picture was "natural flow of bikes" early on a weekday morning and not placed there by the bike share...then I have a bridge to sell them :)

2) the complaints came from residents who have for years commuted to the path stop with their own bike and couldn't find space on the public racks because of the bikes placed by the competing bike share

3) Hoboken wanted 3 dedicated spots in Jersey City in exchange for 1 dedicated Citibike spot in Hoboken. Understandably, we would need a situation that was equitable (3 for 3) in order for that to be ok with the company with whom we were contracted. We offered that to Hoboken 3 citibike spots in Hoboken in exchange for 3 Hudson Bike share spots in Jersey City. They said no. That speaks for itself.

If you ask me Hoboken made the bad decision in the first place by not choosing to connect to the bike share being used in NYC. Some Jersey City residents can cut their daily communting costs in basically half because of the connection to the Manhatten system. However, each city had their own priorities and values which is fine. What is not fine is for a private/for profit company to take up all the public bike rack space in Jersey City without an agreement with the city. It amounts to operating a business illegally, especially when the city has already contracted with someone else.

Hopefully Hoboken will change their mind and decide to work with us. Because expanding the bike share program is what we should be doing, but we need to do it in a way that is fair to Jersey City residents and in a way that respects legal contracts we are in.

Posted on: 2016/3/28 22:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/4 21:55
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
If both bike providers were willing to accept a set of racks for their competitor in "their" town and Hoboken refused then Zimmer is at fault. I can appreciate though why she refused... the portability brought by Citibike is quite compelling vs. their own system.

Posted on: 2016/3/28 22:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

rescuelife wrote:
Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:
Quote:

Sully wrote:
Quote:

asny10011 wrote:
i don't see a problem with other bike companies using a jersey city bike rack. It's not as if it were purchased by Citibike. The racks should be a convenience for all residents/visitors.

The problem is, the purpose of the racks is for local folks to have a place to securely lock their own bikes. If a private company brings over a bunch of their bikes in a van at 6 am and takes all the open spots in the rack, the people who should be able to use the rack are denied that opportunity; they most likely end up locking up in a less-secure, less-orderly manner (bad for them, and the other users of that public space).

also, if Citibike has a contract with JC (regardless of whose connection greased the wheels), then they've got a valid beef with a competitor setting up shop for free nearby.

like if a pizza truck parked right outside the door of Two Boots.

which is the only way a food truck analogy works, as the taco truck a block away DID NOT TAKE AWAY YOUR PIZZA BUSINESS, TWO BOOTS.

but I digress.

The CitiBike contract likely had a clause barring Jersey City from allowing anything viewed as a competitive service from operating within city limits. Also, the Hoboken bikes were literally filling up some bike racks making them unusable for regular JC riders.

Speaking of Two Boots, I was in Austin TX recently and couldn't help but chuckle at the thought of the Two Boots owner Aaron having a total conniption if he owned his pizza place there. There are food trucks and food truck courts all over the city. And unsurprisingly the regular box stores are able to coexist.
well, wouldn't citibike benefit greatly if they were able to put a few bikes in hoboken. fyi, the hoboken bikes were not chain to the city bike rakes - the ones i saw were adjacent to the racks.

Posted on: 2016/3/28 22:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/4/26 20:07
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:

He not only works there, according to his LinkedIn profile he's a managing director.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/danfulop

Posted on: 2016/3/28 22:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/28 15:39
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:
Quote:

Sully wrote:
Quote:

asny10011 wrote:
i don't see a problem with other bike companies using a jersey city bike rack. It's not as if it were purchased by Citibike. The racks should be a convenience for all residents/visitors.

The problem is, the purpose of the racks is for local folks to have a place to securely lock their own bikes. If a private company brings over a bunch of their bikes in a van at 6 am and takes all the open spots in the rack, the people who should be able to use the rack are denied that opportunity; they most likely end up locking up in a less-secure, less-orderly manner (bad for them, and the other users of that public space).

also, if Citibike has a contract with JC (regardless of whose connection greased the wheels), then they've got a valid beef with a competitor setting up shop for free nearby.

which is the only way a food truck analogy works, as the taco truck a block away DID NOT TAKE AWAY YOUR PIZZA BUSINESS, TWO BOOTS.

but I digress.

The CitiBike contract likely had a clause barring Jersey City from allowing anything viewed as a competitive service from operating within city limits. Also, the Hoboken bikes were literally filling up some bike racks making them unusable for regular JC riders.

Speaking of Two Boots, I was in Austin TX recently and couldn't help but chuckle at the thought of the Two Boots owner Aaron having a total conniption if he owned his pizza place there. There are food trucks and food truck courts all over the city. And unsurprisingly the regular box stores are able to coexist.

Posted on: 2016/3/28 22:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
i think it is foolish for jc and hoboken to be fighting over bike share system. why not scatter some of hoboken's bikes among three or four locations in jc, and vice versa. if hobokenites want to bike to jc to eat in jc restaurants or shop in jc stores, even better

and while they're at it, perhaps they should remove or reduce downsize the bikes from where no one is using them.

Posted on: 2016/3/28 22:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Sully wrote:
Quote:

asny10011 wrote:

but I digress.

Posted on: 2016/3/28 21:58

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/5/28 4:29
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

asny10011 wrote:

Posted on: 2016/3/28 21:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/23 21:08
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/3/28 20:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Anyone read the comments? I wonder if this comment is true:

This is a link to the story with the comments. According to the story the comment links to Related Companies, a real estate developer bought the company that runs Citibike in October 2014 just before Fulop pulled out of the joint project and gave the JC contract to CitiBike. It seems to me that if Fulop's brother really works for Related there's a real appearance problem at least and a real corruption problem at most.

http://www.hudsonreporter.com/view/fu ... ks-?instance=latest_story

Posted on: 2016/3/28 20:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/8 3:24
Group:
Registered Users
a bit of common sense from HOB to use the region-wide system would have prevented this whole mess.

Posted on: 2016/3/28 20:16

Bike Share Flap Pits JC vs. Hoboken
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
By Terrence T. McDonald | The Jersey Journal
Email the author | Follow on Twitter
on March 28, 2016 at 12:28 PM

A spat over bikes is pitting Jersey City against neighboring Mile Square City.

At issue are bicycles from Hoboken's Hudson Bike Share system that last fall began showing up en masse at Jersey City's public bike racks. Jersey City officials believe Hudson Bike is bringing the bikes over to Jersey City by the dozen ? a charge Hoboken disputes ? and competing with Jersey City's own Citi Bike system.

More

Posted on: 2016/3/28 16:50

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017