Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
124 user(s) are online (112 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 124

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Lackawanna Warehouse
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

RUinHamiltonPark wrote:
The rumor I heard is an Eataly type place (which would be super popular).

Based on what? I find it funny when people make claims like yours "so and so place would be super popular" but when such a place opens, it invariably gets slammed and often goes out of business shortly after opening.

Posted on: 2016/3/16 3:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/8 19:37
From Soho West
Group:
Registered Users
The rumor I heard is an Eataly type place (which would be super popular).

That building is no further from Newport or Hoboken PATH than many other spots in DTJC or Hoboken that have developed.

Also, the state is willing to add the HBLR at 18th Street, but has no funds. JC is trying to get developers to build it, but they are working on towers on the surrounding plots, not Lackawanna. You can see that in the city's plans.

Posted on: 2016/3/15 20:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/30 19:03
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:
Having biked to both Lackawanna for the Art Studio Open Tour reception, as well as to JCAS on Hamilton Park, I can tell you the vicinity has zero potential to be bicycle friendly.

What in the world are you talking about? My family bikes past there on our way to Hoboken all the time.

Clearly you are made of tougher stuff than me... Where do you get across 12th, 14th, and Hoboken Avenues? Not Marin Boulevard, surely.

There's an (admittedly sketchy) underpass at Coles, though that is temporarily closed now. I'm hoping that they will make it much nicer before they open it back up.

If you take that route - you'll connect to the new Hoboken bike path as well.

Posted on: 2016/3/2 18:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:
Having biked to both Lackawanna for the Art Studio Open Tour reception, as well as to JCAS on Hamilton Park, I can tell you the vicinity has zero potential to be bicycle friendly.

What in the world are you talking about? My family bikes past there on our way to Hoboken all the time.

Clearly you are made of tougher stuff than me... Where do you get across 12th, 14th, and Hoboken Avenues? Not Marin Boulevard, surely.

Posted on: 2016/3/2 18:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:

Posted on: 2016/3/2 0:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
A retail/restaurant destination sounds appealing, but as the Herrick report points out the immediate area is woefully underserved by mass transit. Their masterplan calls for a new HBLR station, which is a good start, but the balance of their approach relies on buses - given NJ Transit's atrocious record with local bus service in JC, you are left with a huge destination that is largely dependent on cars to bring in business, and would require a lot of street planning and re-routing to mitigate a potential traffic nightmare.

While this is absolutely a remarkable, important landmark, JC is not like other cities in that there is minimal transit infrastructure, and a history of bad planning. This will complicate any plan to adaptively re-use this awesome structure. IMO, the only approach is technology/start-up business etc., where the transportation needs are limited to those who work their and can probably be accommodated.

Posted on: 2016/3/1 19:16

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/3 19:27
From DTJC
Group:
Registered Users
Oh just thought of this but how about a brewery? NJ Beer Co I think is owned by the Silverman bros. That'd be cool.

Posted on: 2016/2/29 19:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

HamiltonParker wrote:
Yep, Statco is the one that I was referring to - but there's -O- parking available, whereas Lackawanna has ample parking...13 acres of it, I believe. I used to dream of a food destination a la Terminal Markey in Phiily - lots of small stalls that might be snapped up by concessionaires, eager to feed the hungry masses.
But it's more likely better suited for a large retailer or two - you've just got to wonder why there's not been any other big named lease signings since Buddy of Carlo's Bakery. I know that all real estate is local and that our's is perhaps hyper-local because of population density - I just used find it odd that we're not, as a city, actively trying to solicit some larger retailers to town - tax eatables and job growth being of primary concern and benefit to all.
I'd like to email the scouting teams at some of the grocers our 50,000+ "Whole Foods Coming to JC" thread here on jclist.

Parking is certainly important, but don't forget that a redevelopment can include an interior parking garage.

Hey, anything we can all do to get a WF in Jersey City has my vote! I agree that either of those locations is perfect, and SHOULD be an easy sell since Hoboken is also right there.

Posted on: 2016/2/29 19:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/7/7 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
Yep, Statco is the one that I was referring to - but there's -O- parking available, whereas Lackawanna has ample parking...13 acres of it, I believe. I used to dream of a food destination a la Terminal Markey in Phiily - lots of small stalls that might be snapped up by concessionaires, eager to feed the hungry masses.
But it's more likely better suited for a large retailer or two - you've just got to wonder why there's not been any other big named lease signings since Buddy of Carlo's Bakery. I know that all real estate is local and that our's is perhaps hyper-local because of population density - I just used find it odd that we're not, as a city, actively trying to solicit some larger retailers to town - tax eatables and job growth being of primary concern and benefit to all.
I'd like to email the scouting teams at some of the grocers our 50,000+ "Whole Foods Coming to JC" thread here on jclist.

Posted on: 2016/2/29 19:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

HamiltonParker wrote: Someone mentioned an Amazon fulfillment biz as a current but I believe that they're in another, local warehouse (Scatko or some similar name?).

Do you mean Statco, which is right in that area too? That is also a worthy addition to this conversation since it is in that same vein (old, dilapidated warehouse from a Jersey City that no longer exists, except for a few islands that are ripe for redevelopment).

Posted on: 2016/2/29 18:29

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/14 19:09
From DTJC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Why don't they emulate the Brooklyn Navy Yard and lease to creative small industry? I inquired for a friend losing her costume studio in Manhattan and was told they won't lease spaces under like 10k ft.

Finally someone with a little sense.

Posted on: 2016/2/29 13:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Thier vision is a little inexplicable. I do know there's stairway and elevator issues making dense occupancy a problem. The Cobra Fencing on the 4th floor had access problems having big tournaments there.

Why don't they emulate the Brooklyn Navy Yard and lease to creative small industry? I inquired for a friend losing her costume studio in Manhattan and was told they won't lease spaces under like 10k ft.

Posted on: 2016/2/29 1:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Found this exhaustively comprehensive study from 2013 ~ if you can't sleep tonight, maybe try to get through all 97 pages of it, haha! I guess that the folks at Hunter College Master Urban Planning were commissioned to pull together all sorts of data points for development. As suspected, income data and residential growth are probably both fairly outdated already ~ the census doesn't adequately reflect residential development in JC's downtown in recent years.

From another link, I gather that only 50% of the building is currently rented. Someone mentioned an Amazon fulfillment biz as a current but I believe that they're in another, local warehouse (Scatko or some similar name?).

With the Lackawanna building in its current state I can't imagine that rent/sq/ft is especially high. Costco would be a welcome tenant to the area, Wegman's also. I mentioned Whole Foods when originally posting because if I correctly recall there were 50,000+ views on that topic, so it's got the chat board's attention.

http://www.herrick.com/siteFiles/Publ ... E4D2712A5CA8B46FF0C04.pdf

Posted on: 2016/2/28 21:19

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/3 19:27
From DTJC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MDM wrote:
Didn't Amazon move one of its distribution centers into that building? Maybe the owners are making plenty of money with the space 100% commercial and don't need to convert it partially to residential?

Doesn't look like there are any residential considerations in the plans.
I've done some business there with the print shop, very cool building with a cobblestone path and old train tracks. Would be a good location for a Costco; can't really think of any other stores that would need 95 THOUSAND square feet.
I know that some 1%ers keep their motorcycles and old Porsches up on the higher floors; some good parties there.
Traffic will be awesome in the Biblical, daunting sense, and will turn many people on to early retirement, working from home, or moving.

Posted on: 2016/2/28 17:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
Didn't Amazon move one of its distribution centers into that building? Maybe the owners are making plenty of money with the space 100% commercial and don't need to convert it partially to residential?

Posted on: 2016/2/28 14:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/27 14:41
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/2/28 4:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/27 14:41
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
How did you find that ancient article but no articles about the redevelopment plans for that building?

Resized Image

Resized Image

Posted on: 2016/2/28 4:23

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/12/6 18:15
From DT
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

HamiltonParker wrote:
I can't seem to find a dedicated topic for this building and with each drive by I find myself asking, "why hasn't this place been further developed?" Midway between Jersey City and Hoboken, with easy access to Manhattanites, the location may even qualify as a UEZ (reduced tax rate) zone.
It would seem to be a perfect location for a Whole Foods, Trader Joes, etc. and when Carlo's Bakery moved into a 30,000 square foot facility there was considerable media attention and I thought that he might be the "anchor" to draw other tenants to the location. I'm not married to either of those grocers...we've exhausted dedicated topics on there're before...but how about any sort of retailers?
Some would argue that the lack of car ownership in JC/Hoboken might be a deal breaker for grocer management number crunchers - but then we witnessed Acme move right into the vacated A&P location and Target doesn't ever seem to have empty parking spots.
IKEA moved into Red Hook, Brooklyn and added a dedicated ferry to provide transport for the car less masses - perhaps the cost of development might have to factor in a bus/jitney that shuttles around town in a 30 minute loop or something.
One might also argue that when the grocer's are crunching numbers before pulling the trigger on development, our household income is on the lower side (when compared to say, River Road in Edgewater, which has both a Trader Joes and a Whole Foods) but with population density here dramatically rising each year in the downtown area of JC particularly (5000 new units this year, I believe) the zip codes may need to be sliced and diced a bit to reflect the household incomes within say a 2 mile radius of this building.
Not much available online about this "mysterius" building but here's an old read:

http://www.hudsonreporter.com/view/fu ... giant-structures-revealed

Any thoughts?

Cool post. Thanks for spending time on that on a Saturday morning.

Posted on: 2016/2/27 15:39

Lackawanna Warehouse
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I can't seem to find a dedicated topic for this building and with each drive by I find myself asking, "why hasn't this place been further developed?" Midway between Jersey City and Hoboken, with easy access to Manhattanites, the location may even qualify as a UEZ (reduced tax rate) zone.
It would seem to be a perfect location for a Whole Foods, Trader Joes, etc. and when Carlo's Bakery moved into a 30,000 square foot facility there was considerable media attention and I thought that he might be the "anchor" to draw other tenants to the location. I'm not married to either of those grocers...we've exhausted dedicated topics on there're before...but how about any sort of retailers?
Some would argue that the lack of car ownership in JC/Hoboken might be a deal breaker for grocer management number crunchers - but then we witnessed Acme move right into the vacated A&P location and Target doesn't ever seem to have empty parking spots.
IKEA moved into Red Hook, Brooklyn and added a dedicated ferry to provide transport for the car less masses - perhaps the cost of development might have to factor in a bus/jitney that shuttles around town in a 30 minute loop or something.
One might also argue that when the grocer's are crunching numbers before pulling the trigger on development, our household income is on the lower side (when compared to say, River Road in Edgewater, which has both a Trader Joes and a Whole Foods) but with population density here dramatically rising each year in the downtown area of JC particularly (5000 new units this year, I believe) the zip codes may need to be sliced and diced a bit to reflect the household incomes within say a 2 mile radius of this building.
Not much available online about this "mysterius" building but here's an old read:

http://www.hudsonreporter.com/view/fu ... giant-structures-revealed

Any thoughts?

Posted on: 2016/2/27 15:02

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017